City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches

CM

There is no way Everton gets punished this harsly and City gets away with a few fines. Is there?

If they do I’m done with watching PL.
We've already seen City get away with a slap on the wrist for their UEFA charges. I really don't think anything substantial will come of it, unfortunately. They've got too much money behind them to fight it and I don't really trust the Premier League to be strong enough on a decision which could be seen to damage the quality of their own product.

I think we're already past the point of no return, personally. A blind eye has been turned to the likes of City and Chelsea for 20 years in the name of competition. The fact that the Saudis were allowed to buy Newcastle doesn't make me think any meaningful change is on the horizon. Football is entirely dictated by money, you only have to look at which nations are hosting World Cups these days to see that.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Love love love Everton’s statement.
Places the microscope straight onto City and Chelsea.

TNT, Sky would have you believe that the majestic prowess of city exists outside of the charges and corruption and utter nonsense going on at that club.

you hear it all the time.

“It’s incredible what they’ve done , the project the players the style of play”

how can anyone say that with a straight face without realising it’s all been a cheat to achieve and done through fake sponsorships and utter nonsense.

The Purley King

One of the big clues in all of this is that if you could name any of city’s most important players over the last 10 years: aguero, de silva, de bruyne, kompany, maybe even walker (and I’m probably missing a few) , there has not been one single story about Madrid, Barca, Bayern being interested.
Clubs enquire to agents and agents say they are earning x and would need y to move on and magically interest evaporates. X is not that big….. what is published anyway, but in reality x is fecking massive.
More understandable now they are established but certainly not 10 years ago when they were just an upstart.

KD6-3.7

This Is probably the first time it seems like there’s a large number of eyes with regards to City and their 115 allegations, you can’t punish Everton and let the likes of City and Chelsea off with a fine or one season transfer ban, but Everton arent backed by an entire country and have an army of lawyers to drag everything out.

But holy sh*t are city fans the most deluded and stupid people on Twitter, the way they claim their clubs innocence and that they are squeeky clean and all its all jealousy and agenda pushing from United and Liverpool. A club doesn’t get that amount of allegations without doing some shady stuff.

JagUTD

Football Club Manchester of City

Has a nice ring to it doesn't it?

RedRoach

Highly doubt anything will happen with City. With Everton the investigation happened and the sanctions were issued in a relatively short time frame. Granted there are a supposed 115 sanctions against City, but why is it taking this long for anything to be done since the initial announcement?

JagUTD

Highly doubt anything will happen with City. With Everton the investigation happened and the sanctions were issued in a relatively short time frame. Granted there are a supposed 115 sanctions against City, but why is it taking this long for anything to be done since the initial announcement?
The City investigation is more complex and it's inevitable City will throw everything at it if a significant punishment is handed down. By dealing with Everton first, the league sets a precedent and also tests the waters in terms of appeal.

For the first time we have notable media outlets openly talking about the very real possibility of City being relegated. And when you look at the core of UK law, precedent plays an important role.

It's almost genius tbh, a preemptive strike against City.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Nothing. Is. Going. To. Happen.

The sooner you accept that the easier it will be when they get off.
So why have the PL and clubs started this process if they're going to just absolve City? If they didn't plan to do something to City then they could've easily have left this alone after their UEFA acquittal via CAS.

The only answer if this 'nothing will happen' stance is true, is that the PL have decided to extort City, which is massively more unlikely than they want to deal with City.

Nicolarra90

In the times of the Wrexham documentary, they’d probably get relegated to League 2, make a mental fairytale documentary. Nobody has ever won all four titles on the spin and they’d absolutely piss it.

Victory would be spun from the situation.
They can do it from tier 10 if they want. 10 years without those feckers would suit me.

Tyrion

Love love love Everton’s statement.
Places the microscope straight onto City and Chelsea.

TNT, Sky would have you believe that the majestic prowess of city exists outside of the charges and corruption and utter nonsense going on at that club.

you hear it all the time.

“It’s incredible what they’ve done , the project the players the style of play”

how can anyone say that with a straight face without realising it’s all been a cheat to achieve and done through fake sponsorships and utter nonsense.
BT/TNT are incredibly sycophantic to English clubs in the champions league. Iirc the host told a City player "we're all proud of you" after they won a game a couple of years ago and I laughed out loud. I wouldn't expect that from MUTV.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
If City do not get a significant sentence then the other clubs in the PL should do some form of collective protest as the premier league would just be confirming that it’s ok for city to cheat their way through.

Cloud7

What happened to Everton is the first time that I have felt like City might actually face some actual punishment. Not just because Everton are sure to take legal action of some sort if city are given a non-equivalent punishment, but also because the PL has made a rod for their own back by giving this point deduction to everton for comparatively much smaller stuff

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
A one off 30 point deduction or relegation, without anything else, would make what City have done well worth it for them.
I would settle with a 30 point deduction, 3 year ban from Europe at minimum. Doubtful that happens but City should be forced to start over if the cheating is proved. Easiest thing is relegation to the Championship.

And if they don't get punished I'm done with the Premier League. I'll just watch the Bundesliga or La Liga.

Sgreddevil

I would settle with a 30 point deduction, 3 year ban from Europe at minimum. Doubtful that happens but City should be forced to start over if the cheating is proved. Easiest thing is relegation to the Championship.

And if they don't get punished I'm done with the Premier League. I'll just watch the Bundesliga or La Liga.
I don't think that will hurt them much. At most a write off for one season and they can continue to cheat and win the premier league for years. There need to be a minimum ban from premier league eg. 3 years. If they can survive at lower leagues for the 3 years and comply with ffp rules, then theh are welcome to the league after promotion and fight on a fair ground.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I suppose we will take the league if City get docked. This docking of points and/or more severe punishments should have been done years ago. It’s too bad they hand picked Everton to make an example of which is what they’ve done. But now that the genie is out of the bottle, I can’t see them not going after the elephant in the room and doling out a points deduction. It’s time for all the club owners and mgrs to speak up over this one if nothing get’s done.

LDUred

I suppose we will take the league if City get docked.
It would be wide open but I doubt it would be that easy for Liverpool as they don't hold a lead over Arsenal at this stage. Wouldn't surprise me to see Chelsea getting stronger as the season wears on either.

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I’m sure that City won’t want their own fans worrying about relegation and what might happen…So in reaction to the Everton punishment surely they will decide to release their irrefutable evidence that proves them completely innocent

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I’m sure that City won’t want their own fans worrying about relegation and what might happen…So in reaction to the Everton punishment surely they will decide to release their irrefutable evidence that proves them completely innocent
Due to the complexity of the City issues, I would be surprised if there is a conclusion this season. But I am very hopeful of a very severe punishment. Especially bearing in mind the Everton 10 points deduction was over a relatively small £20 million loss. And that Everton had been cooperating with the PL.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think it’s super important that they have their titles stripped during the period they have cheated.

Firstly because it is just common sense - those titles were won via systematic cheating. In what sport can you be caught cheating at all and retain your titles?

Secondly, they are building their brand on their success. If you strip their titles, they can no longer advertise those successes.

Bosws87

It’s the end of the premier league as a driving force if nothing gets done. Once the integrity is gone it’s only a matter of time till people switch off.

Only have to look in this thread people aren’t interested and fall out of love with the game quickly when they realise the sports has no legitimate competition.

Eric_the_Red99

It’s the end of the premier league as a driving force if nothing gets done. Once the integrity is gone it’s only a matter of time till people switch off.

Only have to look in this thread people aren’t interested and fall out of love with the game quickly when they realise the sports has no legitimate competition.
I think the Premier League actually believes the total opposite. They want the league to be seen as a place where the world’s billionaires and oil states can launder their ill-gotten gains and compete in a dick-measuring contest (as long as they get their cut, obviously). ‘Better here than the Saudi league, right?’ is how they’d justify it to themselves.

But if they crack down too hard on City’s cheating, they’ll be sending the message that the mega rich can’t simply buy success in English football, and so those potential investors will go elsewhere. And ‘elsewhere’ doesn’t just mean other football leagues.

Woodzy

Could the PL just take the easy way out and reverse the Everton point deduction after an appeal?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Not sure I agree with that. Of the 19 clubs another 2 are up to the same tricks so they will side with City.

Everton are guaranteed dead against them having been punished for far less.

Then us, Liverpool and Arsenal are all far bigger clubs than City who have lost out to their cheating. We will all want them done and have significant influence. Probably chuck Spurs into that mix too. So that's 5 of the biggest clubs in the league.

Then of the remaining 12 it will probably be split about 50/50 between those who feel they unfairly lose 6 points every season and those who hope to catch the eye of an oligarch themselves. The key though is how much additional risk they all have to take on with the price inflation of players.

If City get away with it I don't think the clubs will take it quietly. The PL will have to tread a fine line with a punishment that satisfies everybody but doesn't actually cost City. I think stripping the titles would do that nicely. Justice is served but City still got to use them at the time to boost their profile.
City have gotten away with it and will continue to do so.
They have too much money in the game to be given any sort of meaningful punishment.
I'd be willing to bet large sums of money on an outcome that does nothing to effect football operations. A fine of some sort that will be paid by the same cheat means.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
My feeling is City will be relegated. Pep will go. The Saudis will try and hang in. They’ll be back within a few years, more careful but well organised. Unless a new government comes in that bans state parties from being club owners.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why has this been dragging on forever but Everton get punished straight away? Surely that means city should be punished a lot worse for it taking this long…

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Could the PL just take the easy way out and reverse the Everton point deduction after an appeal?
How would that work if Everton get relegated and already spent a year in the Championship by the time City’s fate is decided?

Sgreddevil

My feeling is City will be relegated. Pep will go. The Saudis will try and hang in. They’ll be back within a few years, more careful but well organised. Unless a new government comes in that bans state parties from being club owners.
There need to be a push to ban state from owning clubs.
2 very important reasons:
- It is extremely difficult for an individual or organisation to match up the resources of a state. It is just an unfair playing ground and you may end up having all clubs being state owned in another 10 to 20 years. Not healthy in long run
- secondly we should never let foreign politics get into the game. If they are controlling the top teams, they may have influence on it and tried to push through personal agenda. Who knows we could have a UAE or Saudi all-star team competing in EPL next time.

DJ_21

Relegating them could be a big punishment. I remember rangers getting knocked down to their lowest division. Should do the same here if they have any balls.

DJ_21

How would that work if Everton get relegated and already spent a year in the Championship by the time City’s fate is decided?
If this would have happened last season they would have been relegated. I read up this morning that Southampton, Leeds and Leicester are all trying to sue them.

RedIan

City will be demoted.
Pep will leave in disgust.
Haaland and co will demand transfers as wages not paid
City get relegated to first division.
Saudis leave in disgrace.
Emptihad falls into state of ruin and decay
Receivers called in.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
There are plenty of questions about the fallout for city if the unimaginable actually happens and they are punished as severely as they should be.

Do they take all the hits and then continue to cheat to get themselves back to the top flight?

This notion of a player and manager exodus only happens if all the illegal payments stop. If City continue to cheat, they can pay the same players even more to be loyal to them; legacy doesn’t mean a damn thing to the majority so long as the compensation is right and I’d bet that if leveraged against 2-3 years of a career, players will stay exactly where they are. It only becomes an issue for players who can get their full wage elsewhere; someone like Haaland, for example can name his price and a select few clubs can consider the package, as mind-boggling as whatever he’s actually being paid by City is.

Don’t wish to get ahead of myself because I firmly believe nothing of significance will happen to City, but the aftermath, should it do, would be fascinating to witness.

cyberman

There are plenty of questions about the fallout for city if the unimaginable actually happens and they are punished as severely as they should be.

Do they take all the hits and then continue to cheat to get themselves back to the top flight?

This notion of a player and manager exodus only happens if all the illegal payments stop. If City continue to cheat, they can pay the same players even more to be loyal to them; legacy doesn’t mean a damn thing to the majority so long as the compensation is right and I’d bet that if leveraged against 2-3 years of a career, players will stay exactly where they are. It only becomes an issue for players who can get their full wage elsewhere; someone like Haaland, for example can name his price and a select few clubs can consider the package, as mind-boggling as whatever he’s actually being paid by City is.

Don’t wish to get ahead of myself because I firmly believe nothing of significance will happen to City, but the aftermath, should it do, would be fascinating to witness.
The owners would be barred from owning a football club under the fit and proper test. It would be the end for City as it is today

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

You're already past that point :D

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The owners would be barred from owning a football club under the fit and proper test. It would be the end for City as it is today
Cheating circumvents that. But would they even wish to continue?

And what of all that bent money they’ve pumped into the city of Manchester? There’s a real shitstorm coming… or there would be if this wasn’t made to go away.

ddg01

I believe (or hope) that the 10 point deduction to Everton is to set a president before going for the big fish. I can’t see how the PL cannot punish City and Chelsea. The punishment will be huge, relegation, titles stripped. However one crucial addition is the mandatory employment of a PL auditor.