City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches

SambaBoy

There's no way the PL gives them any substantial punishment. They will be under pressure from the UK Government to tread lightly, just like they put pressure on the PL to accept the Saudi's coming in at Newcastle.

Abu Dhabi have been pretty influential in Manchester and London since the takeover and the UK Government have benefitted enormously from this, they won't want to jeopardise that relationship and punishing City meaningfully would achieve that.

C'est Moi Cantona

There's no way the PL gives them any substantial punishment. They will be under pressure from the UK Government to tread lightly, just like they put pressure on the PL to accept the Saudi's coming in at Newcastle.

Abu Dhabi have been pretty influential in Manchester and London since the takeover and the UK Government have benefitted enormously from this, they won't want to jeopardise that relationship and punishing City meaningfully would achieve that.
If this is the case then they should never have brought the charges in the first place.

Anything other than a substantial punishment is not going to cut it at this point, and the PL know it.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If this is the case then they should never have brought the charges in the first place.

Anything other than a substantial punishment is not going to cut it at this point, and the PL know it.
If they are found guilty.

If not, the PL will hold its hands up and say, "well we tried"

HTG

Supports
Bayern

Why? What’s going to happen if they don’t do it?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
How will they explain it?

Everyone knows what they've been up to, so literally just don't charge them if you're not then going to follow it through.
To whom do they need to explain themselves and what is to happen if they don’t? I just don’t understand what the fallout is supposed to be if they don’t. I believe people will moan and then move on.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
To whom do they need to explain themselves and what is to happen if they don’t? I just don’t understand what the fallout is supposed to be if they don’t. I believe people will moan and then move on.
The whole point (IMO) of this extra effort by the PL around City, Chelsea, Everton is to deflect calls for an independent regulator. Going easy on a guilty City increases the chances of the government finding the need for an independent regulator.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
The whole point (IMO) of this extra effort by the PL around City, Chelsea, Everton is to deflect calls for an independent regulator. Going easy on a guilty City increases the chances of the government finding the need for an independent regulator.
The UK governmnent would most likely love it if they (city) are cleared of any guilt.

C'est Moi Cantona

Well I would think all the clubs that have probably put pressure on them to bring the charges in the first place, Everton who got 10 points knocked off for one charge, I'd also imagine they'll have a bit of explaining to do if they can't make 1 of 115 charges stick, they'll look very weak.

Again I just can't see any point of the PL bringing the charges in the first place if they don't have very strong evidence, and want to punish them hard. It would have been far easier not to bother in the first place.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
Well I would think all the clubs that have probably put pressure on them to bring the charges in the first place, Everton who got 10 points knocked off for one charge, I'd also imagine they'll have a bit of explaining to do if they can't make 1 of 115 charges stick, they'll look very weak.

Again I just can't see any point of the PL bringing the charges in the first place if they don't have very strong evidence, and want to punish them hard. It would have been far easier not to bother in the first place.
There's a bit of a middle ground between substantial punishment and no punishment at all. Manchester City can easily be given an insane fine for their lack of co-op, perhaps a fair bit of points knocked off them as well, maybe it'll even cost them the league title this season and finishing outside the top 4, and it'll be portraited as the biggest punishment ever handed out...

C'est Moi Cantona

There's a bit of a middle ground between substantial punishment and no punishment at all. Manchester City can easily be given an insane fine for their lack of co-op, perhaps a fair bit of points knocked off them as well, maybe it'll even cost them the league title this season and finishing outside the top 4, and it'll be portraited as the biggest punishment ever handed out...
Yes I agree, and that's the worry tbh, City point blank refuse to coporate, PL can only punish them for that, and City claim they're innocent for ever more.

But I'd like to think the PL have plenty of evidence of there own, so maybe don't need anything from City to make at least some of the charges stick.

If they do prove them guilty of said charges, and still only hand out a massive fine and one off points deduction then I give up.

RedRocket9908

Im just looking at an article on the Premier Leagues highest spenders in each season and its quite suprising how much City spend in the first 4 seasons after the takeover in 2008.

2008/09 - £119.35m - highest spenders

2009/10 - £125.5m - highest spenders

2010/11 - £152m - highest spenders

2011/12 - £76m - 2nd highest spenders

City were a small reletively unknown struggling club at the time of the takeover so how were they suddenly able to spend such large amounts?

Zen86

Im just looking at an article on the Premier Leagues highest spenders in each season and its quite suprising how much City spend in the first 4 seasons after the takeover in 2008.

City were a small reletively unknown struggling club at the time of the takeover so how were they suddenly able to spend such large amounts?
They spent a shitload in those first few years, which everybody seems to forget. And this was probably when they were in their prime for backhanders and off the books contracts.

Redguern

They spent a shitload in those first few years, which everybody seems to forget. And this was probably when they were in their prime for backhanders and off the books contracts.
Yes and then their net spend over the next 5 year period was at least another £600m+. So a total net spend of well over a billion pounds in that nine years, which is why they have been able to rein in the spending in the last five. FFP doesn't just take into account net spend. There will have been substantial wages on top of these transfer outgoings. It is clear that in order to say their books were balancing under FFP there must have been financial engineering on a scale that would even make Barcelona proud!

RedRocket9908

Yes and then their net spend over the next 5 year period was at least another £600m+. So a total net spend of well over a billion pounds in that nine years, which is why they have been able to rein in the spending in the last five. FFP doesn't just take into account net spend. There will have been substantial wages on top of these transfer outgoings. It is clear that in order to say their books were balancing under FFP there must have been financial engineering on a scale that would even make Barcelona proud!
Yet City's fans expect us to believe this is all above board like they expect us to believe that the £400m that Etihad allegedly agreed to pay for the stadium naming rights (40m per year for 10 years) wasnt above market value.

Last edited:

90 + 5min

Nothing yet from TheFA?

One more day passing by. We are waiting for the correct decision.

Orion.

De Laurentiis of Napoli said they made him an offer for Cavani that would be a smaller official fee, plus another large amount off the books aswell.

Silly irrelevant little zombie club, who literally sold their soul and place in the league to Abu Dhabi. CiTeH died in 2008.

Orion.

One more day passing by. Nothing yet from TheFA. Just silence.
Literally 6 years down the line - they should have been suspended from the league until it was resolved, it might have made them comply and present this irrefutable evidence they have sooner.

frostbite

One more day passing by. Nothing yet from TheFA. Just silence.
They will find them guilty and fine them 1,000 pounds for each infraction. And a very stern talk. City will apologize for causing any misunderstandings. And that will be it.

Redivy

I’ve noticed a quite a few City accounts being very positive this past week on social media regarding their charges. Seems like their main in the know journalists have received a briefing?

Heinzesight

I’ve noticed a quite a few City accounts being very positive this past week on social media regarding their charges. Seems like their main in the know journalists have received a briefing?
A briefing or something that comes in brown packaging?

Hopefully just them sticking their fingers in their ears singing ‘la la la’…have to give credit to Martin Samuel though and how he manages to keep his tongue up City’s ringpiece for so long.

Nico87

They haven’t had their hearing yet ( date has not even been set),so I don’t see how any journalists would know anything. Especially as City are not cooperating so no one at the club would be able to tip anyone off.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Their commercial income also tripled between 2011 and 2012 I believe due to fake sponsorship deals. No other club has tripled their income in such a way before. The EPL are absolutely complicit in their corruption.

SER19

We all know how this will end. In meeting rooms and banks, and PR offices, tidying it all up in boring language with no punishment and no choice but for everybody to move on. The time to do anything was when their cheating was so bloody obvious every random football fan in the world could see it, even the city 'fans' who were bending over backwards to try explain things with all the latest propaganda terms and conspiracy theories about the 'status quo'. A whole fanbase of useful idiots who should be embarrassed of themselves but have dug themselves so deep in their rubbish that they go along with it all now, pretending that the hollow success is worth it, knowing deep down that they let their club be sold as a vehicle that's ruined football in england.

sangria

We all know how this will end. In meeting rooms and banks, and PR offices, tidying it all up in boring language with no punishment and no choice but for everybody to move on. The time to do anything was when their cheating was so bloody obvious every random football fan in the world could see it, even the city 'fans' who were bending over backwards to try explain things with all the latest propaganda terms and conspiracy theories about the 'status quo'. A whole fanbase of useful idiots who should be embarrassed of themselves but have dug themselves so deep in their rubbish that they go along with it all now, pretending that the hollow success is worth it, knowing deep down that they let their club be sold as a vehicle that's ruined football in england.
See the arguments being pushed even now though. City are a nothing club that means nothing, it's better to hope for City to win everything as a plastic club than for such and such a rivalry to be put aside even momentarily etc. English football will never unite to stop this as such and such a rivalry will always be more important than uniting against sportswashing.

OldSchoolManc

If City aren’t at least demoted a few divisions and warned about permanent expulsion for further fakery, I think I’m done with top flight football.
It has been a joke for 15 years now and looks like getting worse. Far too much about cost and not enough about actual football.

Redivy

They haven’t had their hearing yet ( date has not even been set),so I don’t see how any journalists would know anything. Especially as City are not cooperating so no one at the club would be able to tip anyone off.
If I’m not mistaken the date was set a few weeks ago. The public just doesn’t know the date.

A club hiring a dozen lawyers isn’t trying to get a not guilty verdict, they’re trying to find a loophole, and I would not be surprised if they do find one before the court date.