City in for Lescott

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
Manchester City Submit £15m Bid For Everton's Joleon Lescott - Report
The Toffees' insistence that they won't sell their stars appears to have fallen on deaf ears, as City make an official bid...
17 Jul 2009 00:22:47

EPL: Joleon Lescott, West Ham United - Everton (PA)

Manchester City have responded to Everton manager David Moyes' claims that he would not sell any of his first-team players, by tabling a £15 million bid for Joleon Lescott.

Moyes recently stated that he would be under no pressure to sell the club's star performers, but City believe that every player has his price.

According to The Guardian, the initial £15m bid is likely to be rejected, but City are convinced that an increase to around £20m will be too good to refuse.

The Eastlands club have been encouraged by signs they perceive as suggesting that Lescott is keen on the move, including a report yesterday that he was ready to hand in a transfer request.

Lescott has been a regular during his three seasons at Everton, making 111 appearances in total.

Arjun Miglani, Goal.com

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I said a few weeks ago that City are fast becoming another Everton and this move does litle to change that. Lescott's decent enough, but he wouldn't get a starting spot in Manchester United / Chelsea / Liverpool's line-ups.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
Lescott is rubbish, how could anyone want to pay 20million for him?

I mean, if he was that good a central defender would be be pumped out to left back at every opportunity? And as a left back he is just a juggernaut with no football too him whatsoever.

This is taking "Prem Proven" to a new level...

Flying Fox

It'll be funny if they get flatly rejected by every defender worth his salt and end up plumping for the likes of McShane or Boumsong

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Lescott is rubbish, how could anyone want to pay 20million for him?

I mean, if he was that good a central defender would be be pumped out to left back at every opportunity? And as a left back he is just a juggernaut with no football too him whatsoever.

This is taking "Prem Proven" to a new level...
He's quite clearly not rubbish.

You're just pointing out he's versatile, and that Yobo and Jagielka are two very capable centre backs to step in when Lescott's needed at left back.

He played in the centre for the majority of last season, he only filled in when there was injury problems.

Not as good as he was talked up to be in his first season at Everton, I'd agree, but he's far from rubbish.

Jagielka's better though.

Zen86

This is even more rediculous than Chelseas spree a few years ago, money talks. I thought they'd struggle attracting anyone worth their salt but I guess were gonna have to brace ourselves for City in the CL in the not too distant future.

Kelvin

Lescott is pants defensively, think Citeh signing him though because he can score goals.

Brwned

Lescott is pants defensively, think Citeh signing him though because he can score goals.
Yeah, that's what it is, they're spending £20m on him because he's a good goalscorer, even though they know he's rubbish defensively.

Of course.

jim

In most joy
They've probably realised that signing five new strikers in twelve months isn't necessarily the best way to improve the side, and consequently are going to panic-buy defenders.

By the looks of things, they'll actually manage to be a shit version of Chelsea, which is genuinely something to be applauded.

HsJ

News is that they have put a £19Million bid in for him today.

Great picture of Lescott on the SSN website though

Those two bits of his hair :lol:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Everton will reject it.
£20 million for Lescott would be a good piece of business for them. He's good but not world class by any means, and they've got competent centre backs in Yobo and Jagielka and a good left back in Baines even if they don't try to sign a replacement. Not to mention Rodwell, who is potentially a class above Lescott anyway. That £20 million could be very useful for strengthening other areas.

MUFC07

City step up Lescott pursuit

Here's the note for those who haven't seen it.

Sky Sports News understands Manchester City have made an improved offer of £19million for Everton defender Joleon Lescott.

The England international has long been linked with a move away from the Toffees and Eastlands boss Mark Hughes failed with an initial £15m bid earlier in July.

Sky Sport News revealed on Tuesday evening that City were expected to renew their interest in Lescott and another approach is now understood to have been made.

Having missed out on Chelsea captain John Terry, Hughes completed the signing of Kolo Toure from Arsenal on Wednesday as he turns his attention to his defence.

Hughes has already signed midfielder Gareth Barry, goalkeeper Stuart Taylor and forwards Roque Santa Cruz, Carlos Tevez and Emmanuel Adebayor.

But the Welshman is now keen to strengthen his rearguard as he plots an assault on the Premier League's top four and he has raised the stakes in his pursuit of Lescott.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5460605,00.html

Greedy cnuts.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Where would he fit in? I presume they are not trying to buy him as cover.

They have recently bought Bridge at left back and Toure at centre back, and I can't see them dropping their captain Dunne, who's been excellent for them over the past couple of years.

I assumed they would start the season with Richards--Toure--Dunne--Bridge

Brwned

Apparently Dunne was far from excellent last season.

Lescott's probably been better than him over the last couple of years.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Much better than Dunne, certainly.

Kompany will play at the back this year I would think. He and Toure would be first choice pairing as it stands, I would have thought.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Apparently Dunne was far from excellent last season.

Lescott's probably been better than him over the last couple of years.
Dunne was excellent in the games I watched. And lets not forget, he is the captain. Regardless of how he performed overall last season, he's a brilliant centre back, and City would be mad to shift him out of the way for Lescott.

Brwned

Much better than Dunne, certainly.

Kompany will play at the back this year I would think. He and Toure would be first choice pairing as it stands, I would have thought.
Nah, just seems like another Gallas-Toure partnership, I don't think either are the right players to organise the defence and I'd say Dunne's a lot better at that.

Not sure if Lescott's any good at it, but then he might play left back. Better than Bridge I suppose.

datura

Dunne was excellent in the games I watched. And lets not forget, he is the captain. Regardless of how he performed overall last season, he's a brilliant centre back, and City would be mad to shift him out of the way for Lescott.
Most City fans I know think Dunne is a donkey and were hoping that he's be moving in the summer (Sunderland were mentioned). Nedum Onuoha far outplayed him last season. He's definitely not a brilliant centreback, he's capable of the odd great game, but is mostly average and error prone.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Everton reject £19m Manchester City bid for Lescott

From The Times: July 30, 2009
by James Ducker

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6732456.ece

Manchester City had no sooner completed the signing of Kolo Touré from Arsenal last night than a fresh £19 million bid for Joleon Lescott, the Everton defender, was submitted.

Touré became City's fifth significant signing of the summer, with the £14 million deal taking the club's spending spree over the past eight weeks to almost £100 million.

The Ivory Coast defender, 28, has signed a four-year contract that will more than double his wages to £90,000 a week, although City may have their work cut out trying to lure their sixth and final target, with Everton immediately rejecting the improved offer for Lescott out of hand.

David Moyes, the Everton manager, believes that Lescott is worth about £30 million - similar to what Manchester United paid Leeds United for Rio Ferdinand in 2002 - and will not consider selling the England defender unless City get close to that valuation, although the situation may come to a head if the player decides to submit a transfer request.

Lescott is thought to be reluctant to do that, not least because of how it would be perceived by Everton's supporters, but the defender is known to want to talk to City.

Nedum Onuoha, the City defender, had been linked with Everton as part of a swap deal but he ended speculation about his future by agreeing a new five-year deal worth a basic £30,000 a week yesterday.

In some respects, City may have created a rod for their own back by starting the bidding for Lescott at £15 million. Although that sum is about three times what Everton paid Wolverhampton Wanderers for Lescott in June 2006, Moyes might point to the fact that Liverpool paid £18.5 million for an England international, Glen Johnson, who can only play at right back.

By contrast, Lescott, 26, can operate at centre half and left back, and, like Johnson, still has his best days ahead of him. Furthermore, it might cost Everton between £15 million and £20 million to find a suitable replacement and even then there would be no guarantees that Moyes could find one with a little more than a month before the transfer window closes.

Matthew Upson, the West Ham United and England defender, has been touted as a possible replacement if Lescott did leave.

Everton are thought to have become irritated by City's pursuit of Lescott, not least because they have stated publicly on several occasions that the player is not for sale. But while some will view that as a tactic intended to drive up the price, Moyes is reluctant to sell to a club Everton will be in direct competition with next season.

City's move for Touré proved far less complicated, with the defender becoming the second arrival from Arsenal, after Emmanuel Adebayor, the Togo striker.

“I am delighted to welcome Kolo to Manchester City,” Mark Hughes, the City manager, said. “It is no secret that we have been looking to strengthen our defence, and in Kolo I feel we have recruited a world-class player.

“He brings a wealth of Premier League experience from his seven seasons with Arsenal. Kolo has been a central figure in a very strong Arsenal team for many years and I have been an admirer for a long time. He is strong, quick, reads the game well and will be an influential figure in the dressing room.” Valeri Bojinov, the Bulgaria striker who has been plagued by injury since joining City from Fiorentina for £6 million two years ago, is on the verge of joining Parma on a season-long loan.

Bojinov has made only three league starts for City after being sidelined for long periods, first with a cruciate knee ligament injury, then a snapped Achilles tendon, and the arrival of Roque Santa Cruz, Carlos Tévez and Adebayor this summer has pushed him farther down the pecking order.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
I hope they buy him for around 20m, for Moyes' sake. Interested to see what he'd do with the money. He's usually great in the market, though the Fellaini purchase would be preying on his mind and sure force him to be even more precise than usual.

Pat_Mustard

All I know is Dunne is an awful defender, and should not be in any back four for a team wanting to do well. Lescott is definitely a step up
That's just wrong. He was poor last season so he might well be on the wane, but for two or three seasons before that he was excellent. Most of the City fans in work seem to reckon its time to get rid of him, but they also say he was their best player for the two previous seasons. He's turned in a few colossal performances against us too. Richards got most of the plaudits, but Dunne was even better.

Pat_Mustard

I hope they buy him for around 20m, for Moyes' sake. Interested to see what he'd do with the money. He's usually great in the market, though the Fellaini purchase would be preying on his mind and sure force him to be even more precise than usual.
Fellaini polarises opinion almost as much as Berbatov. He was overprieced, but he impressed me alot last season. In time he'll be seen as a great signing for them.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Fellaini polarises opinion almost as much as Berbatov. He was overprieced, but he impressed me alot last season. In time he'll be seen as a great signing for them.
Oh without a doubt mate, I think he was a brilliant buy, but my point was just that his transfer will still be in the back of Moyes' mind whether he deemed it worth the price or not.

Anduin

Yeah, let's hope Moyes rapes City (e.g. £20m + a player, they could do with Dunne), could be decent deal with Everton. Lescott is a very good player, but Moyes should be able to replace him properly with that kind of money.
If Everton were able to buy two player who prove to be instant successes they could challenge for a top four spot as well.