City show there are NO excuses for our opening day flop | Utd return the favour GW2

Zen86

This really is comeuppance for the years of success we’ve had. City, Liverpool, and now ****ing Leeds are looking good.

Irwin99

Not reading more into City's start than what I initially thought at the start of the season and that is that I don't think these guys will be champions, and probably won't be close either. Aguero injury is obviously a big blow and they have signed two new defenders but they don't seem to have any momentum or buzz around them. It's very early days but I expect them to have another season like last year.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Spurs showing the benefit of all these games to get them up to speed. I know they will pay for it at some stage, but one of these teams is fit and into their season, and the other still ain’t out of pre-season. You cannot skip a base level of fitness to complete at an elite level.

Our summer and the preparation this summer has been an utter disaster and completely arrogant.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Table since the October international break:

When you look at 2020 as a whole it's quite obvious that the games until the first international break were our pre season. In hindsight the only real criticism of Ole in the opening games was the use of Matic (form fallen off a cliff this season) and Pogba (covid effects). We didn't have a midfield and teams were running through us. But then again, these are things a pre season would have revealed.

As always, things aren't as black and white as the kneejerky lot on the caf would have you believe.

Gasolin

When you look at 2020 as a whole it's quite obvious that the games until the first international break were our pre season. In hindsight the only real criticism of Ole in the opening games was the use of Matic (form fallen off a cliff this season) and Pogba (covid effects). We didn't have a midfield and teams were running through us. But then again, these are things a pre season would have revealed.

As always, things aren't as black and white as the kneejerky lot on the caf would have you believe.
Of course, but we need a good run in Dec until the Liverpool game. It could reveal some positive for the team, or kill the dream. But if they still believe, then why not.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Looking at that it’s amazing to see the grief Ole gets and the love in Arteta gets.
I think my favourite posts of the year were people pointing out how class Arteta was and he’d implemented his style after a single game showing his class and knowledge compared to Ole :lol:, love it

Skåre Willoch

Looking at that it’s amazing to see the grief Ole gets and the love in Arteta gets.
I think my favourite posts of the year were people pointing out how class Arteta was and he’d implemented his style after a single game showing his class and knowledge compared to Ole :lol:, love it
I love what Arteta has done with Arsenal, and really hope this is the style he intended. I hope he stays for a long time!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I find myself questioning Ole at times but you have to be fair and say he's doing a good job. The form table doesn't lie and we are getting results.

I still think we need to progress in certain areas but if we can keep that sort of consistency all season we won't be complaining at all.

RUCK4444

I find myself questioning Ole at times but you have to be fair and say he's doing a good job. The form table doesn't lie and we are getting results.

I still think we need to progress in certain areas but if we can keep that sort of consistency all season we won't be complaining at all.
This is it. I find it hard when people question the direction we are heading in isn’t positive.

It’s far from perfect but it’s steady progress, I can’t help but feel that we would look a different animal altogether under Ole once we have a top DM, a CB and Right Winger. That would finish the starting 11 that Ole started when he took on this rebuild.

I really don’t think we are far away from mixing it up at the top, we’ve proven we can beat the bigger teams, it’s purely consistency we are chasing. Which is a world away from where we were when he took over imo.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
To be fair, Arteta isn't getting any love these days :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This is it. I find it hard when people question the direction we are heading in isn’t positive.

It’s far from perfect but it’s steady progress, I can’t help but feel that we would look a different animal altogether under Ole once we have a top DM, a CB and Right Winger. That would finish the starting 11 that Ole started when he took on this rebuild.

I really don’t think we are far away from mixing it up at the top, we’ve proven we can beat the bigger teams, it’s purely consistency we are chasing. Which is a world away from where we were when he took over imo.
Yep agreed.

If we can stop going 1-0 down within 15 minutes and sort the home form, we genuinely are in within a title shout if we can keep this going.

The good thing is we aren't even "playing well" ? we have flashes in games where we look world class and then moments where we can't string together 3 passes and the defence are all over the place.

if we can hit form like we did before lock down started then I think we've got a great chance of the top 4 and will be a lot closer to city/pool injuries permitting.

RUCK4444

Yep agreed.

If we can stop going 1-0 down within 15 minutes and sort the home form, we genuinely are in within a title shout if we can keep this going.

The good thing is we aren't even "playing well" ? we have flashes in games where we look world class and then moments where we can't string together 3 passes and the defence are all over the place.

if we can hit form like we did before lock down started then I think we've got a great chance of the top 4 and will be a lot closer to city/pool injuries permitting.
Absolutely. Which makes it all the more annoying that the board fecked up the transfer window. It's effectively wasted the very good opportunity this season has presented.

There is no excuse in the next window, we have to address the weaknesses in the starting 11. As you mentioned, in the meantime I hope we can recapture that form we had before lock down and push towards the top.

lysglimt

Scout

Looking at the number of goals scored in the first 4 rounds:

38 matches - 139 goals - an average of 3,66 goals pr game.

For the whole season - 360 goals - an average of 2,83 goals pr game.

For round 5-13 a total of 221 goals - an average of 2,48 goals pr game

So the number of goals scored from the first 4 rounds compared to the next 9 - has dropped by 1.18 goals pr game.

Cardozo

Looking at the number of goals scored in the first 4 rounds:

38 matches - 139 goals - an average of 3,66 goals pr game.

For the whole season - 360 goals - an average of 2,83 goals pr game.

For round 5-13 a total of 221 goals - an average of 2,48 goals pr game

So the number of goals scored from the first 4 rounds compared to the next 9 - has dropped by 1.18 goals pr game.
The first few rounds of the league were mental. With the handball penalties.

The Lindelof penalty which gave Crystal Palace the 2nd goal wouldn't be given under the new interpretation. I think we'd have got something out of that game.

Jonno

I got crucified for saying Arteta had a new manager bounce. Apparently it was well-drilled, world class coaching that was obvious on the pitch & Ole was no more than a dinosaur PE teacher.

Quite laughable really, I really should search back to my old posts and call some posters out.

Sylar

Thinking about it, ole wanted haaland, Sancho and grealish

A big outlay but I reckon you spend and get all three (instead of vdb, Cavani) and you're sorted for a few years without the need for 3-4 signings every season

mav_9me

A big outlay but I reckon you spend and get all three (instead of vdb, Cavani) and you're sorted for a few years without the need for 3-4 signings every season
That's not realistic at all. Doesn't matter who the manager is and who he wants.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
That's not realistic at all. Doesn't matter who the manager is and who he wants.
Worth pointing out he wanted Haaland before he went to Dortmund so the fee is a lot less than it would be now. Still unrealistic to expect Sancho and Grealish though.

Sylar

On paper it doesn't
But when you break it down we spent 20m on diallo (initial but can rise) and 10m on pellestri.
40m on vdb
And although free, wages on ighalo and Cavani

Haaland went for 20m.
Sancho 100m
Grealish 80m? (Not too sure)

So we were short 130m
If we had got haaland we would have saved on wages a lot for the other two strikers
That would be combined for Jan and then summer.

Squad would look different of course, and I'm not saying grealish even comes or is accepted, or what happens with haaland (since a release clause was apparently required)

But you also do that and you're fine for Jan / next summer unless something happens with Pogba

It was doable even with the pandemic that hit in the summer if we had planned it well and gone for a long term strategy, but I agree unrealistic with who we have as owners / in charge

el3mel

Worth pointing out he wanted Haaland before he went to Dortmund so the fee is a lot less than it would be now. Still unrealistic to expect Sancho and Grealish though.
We refused Haaland for the release clause thing, not the fee.

RUCK4444

Would have been too much in one window but you can see what sort of team Ole is trying to construct here.

I want to see how we do once Ole has finished his starting 11.

gajender

On paper it doesn't
But when you break it down we spent 20m on diallo (initial but can rise) and 10m on pellestri.
40m on vdb
And although free, wages on ighalo and Cavani

Haaland went for 20m.
Sancho 100m
Grealish 80m? (Not too sure)

So we were short 130m
If we had got haaland we would have saved on wages a lot for the other two strikers
That would be combined for Jan and then summer.

Squad would look different of course, and I'm not saying grealish even comes or is accepted, or what happens with haaland (since a release clause was apparently required)

But you also do that and you're fine for Jan / next summer unless something happens with Pogba

It was doable even with the pandemic that hit in the summer if we had planned it well and gone for a long term strategy, but I agree unrealistic with who we have as owners / in charge
It was a cash flow problem despite committing roughly around 80 m last summer on transfers we most probably paid only around total of 20m as our first year payments on all transfers where as all media reports stated Dortmund wanted major chunk of Sancho's fee as first year payment no idea about Grealish's transfer fee structure we simply didn't have enough cash to make these transfer happen.

Sylar

It was a cash flow problem despite committing roughly around 80 m last summer on transfers we most probably paid only around total of 20m as our first year payments on all transfers where as all media reports stated Dortmund wanted major chunk of Sancho's fee as first year payment no idea about Grealish's transfer fee structure we simply didn't have enough cash to make these transfer happen.
Let's be honest, cash flow problem or not, we wouldn't do it anyway with our owners. It's why we get cheap alternatives

Would have been too much in one window but you can see what sort of team Ole is trying to construct here.

I want to see how we do once Ole has finished his starting 11.
Yep, quick young players. Add Jude to that too who we wanted as well