City show there are NO excuses for our opening day flop | Utd return the favour GW2

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think you're missing my point.
You'd have thought he'd say it after the game as a reason for the loss, instead he just said Leicester was lucky.
I can see no reference online to that interview at all also?!
He probably thinks lack of fitness wasn't why they lost to Leicester like I do.

They lost because they were fecking diabolical in defence, Having otherwise controlled the game

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I'm not making excuses for anyone.

City were sharp vs Wolves and sloppy vs Leicester.

United were dogshite vs Palace and worse against Brighton.

It's quite clear to see which club had better fitness.
Man City losing is due to the sloppiness of their fullbacks, but United losing is due to their coach.

Yes, the agenda is quite clear. Carry on.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Thanks for the correction. I only saw highlights, and the general sentiment on this forum was that they dominated Wolves.

No one is making any excuses for bad results. Fitness has a lot more to contribute in high level football than you are willing to accept. I'm not saying that our performances are excused, or we should not be doing better.

The point is that we are not at peak condition for the way we play, and we will be playing Spurs in a few days - who should be in or close to peak condition for how they play.

If you think that Spurs have had the same accumulation issues that we had towards the end of last season, it would be a joke. (Also, their midweek game with Jose was complaining about got cancelled, so they played one less)
Feck me, I understand fitness, I also understand the importance that minute changes in fitness affect top level athletes.
However our players should be relatively fit now, we should be seeing our international players who played be reaching some level of full fitness now.

As for Spurs, they'd have played seven games by the time we get to play them, that's a game every three days essentially, so tell me why is it that fatigue doesn't translate to them??

It's not about making excuses, it's about NOT making excuses.
We shouldn't be sitting here saying the players are tired, or we have fatigue issues, we should instead be heralding their fitness.

Have you ever had someone tell you your tired repetitively? I guarantee if you ever do then you will end up feeling tired.
The brain is wired to take instructions, all it heard is you're tired' it takes that as an instruction and processes it accordingly.
Instead of you revert that and say 'you need energy' or something of similar ilk, then the brain processes that accordingly.
Tiredness/fatigue is real, but can be controlled but not if all the players are hearing is ' they must be tired'.

Champ

He probably thinks lack of fitness wasn't why they lost to Leicester like I do.

They lost because they were fecking diabolical in defence, Having otherwise controlled the game
Agreed.
Three pens as well.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't think you can expect any team to be in peak condition at this stage (physically and/or mentally) - not compared to a normal season with a normal pre-season preparation.

Hint: we don't live in normal times.

I doubt this will mean that Liverpool end up in a relegation struggle, while Woy walks the league - but it could easily mean some bad slips here and there, especially to begin with.

ETA And, yes, the above very much pertains to the ridiculous tendency on here to assess managers in terms of (individual) "performances".

Last edited:

romufc

Feck me, I understand fitness, I also understand the importance that minute changes in fitness affect top level athletes.
However our players should be relatively fit now, we should be seeing our international players who played be reaching some level of full fitness now.

As for Spurs, they'd have played seven games by the time we get to play them, that's a game every three days essentially, so tell me why is it that fatigue doesn't translate to them??

We shouldn't be sitting here saying the players are tired, or we have fatigue issues, we should instead be heralding their fitness.

Have you ever had someone tell you your tired repetitively? I guarantee if you ever do then you will end up feeling tired.
The brain is wired to take instructions, all it heard is you're tired' it takes that as an instruction and processes it accordingly.
Instead of you revert that and say 'you need energy' or something of similar ilk, then the brain processes that accordingly.
Tiredness/fatigue is real, but can be controlled but not if all the players are hearing is ' they must be tired'.

Out of our first 11, do you know how many played in internationals?

De Gea, Lindelof, Bruno and Martial. Also, if you think fatigue is just an excuse, why was the Swedish manager saying Lindelof is tired?

Maguire, AWB, Rashford, Greenwood and Pogba have all had probably the worst pre seasons for one reason or another.

Shaw was coming back from injury.

I am sure you can appreciate when you have players at different levels of fitness, it is difficult for a manager?

Have you ever played football? I play alot of 5 a side and coming back from lockdown, first 3 games was a joke. These footballers went on holiday for 2 weeks and had 1 week training, playing 0 games.

When you are not sharp, you cannot close down quickly, you are slower on the ball, it makes a big difference when 9 players are not match fit.

Champ

Out of our first 11, do you know how many played in internationals?

De Gea, Lindelof, Bruno and Martial. Also, if you think fatigue is just an excuse, why was the Swedish manager saying Lindelof is tired?

Maguire, AWB, Rashford, Greenwood and Pogba have all had probably the worst pre seasons for one reason or another.

Shaw was coming back from injury.

I am sure you can appreciate when you have players at different levels of fitness, it is difficult for a manager?

Have you ever played football? I play alot of 5 a side and coming back from lockdown, first 3 games was a joke. These footballers went on holiday for 2 weeks and had 1 week training, playing 0 games.

When you are not sharp, you cannot close down quickly, you are slower on the ball, it makes a big difference when 9 players are not match fit.
I play football, I also coach football for adults and Kids, I play at a very good standard and am fully aware of the importance of fitness and conditioning. I train twice a week and up until recently did play Saturday and Sunday, have now knocked Sunday on the head to concentrate on Saturday, all whilst working full time and being a father.
Trust me, I know about fatigue :lol:

Lindlelof played a full game before his manager left him out, so it wasn't fatigue from previous, just fatigue from the game before. Quite simple to explain really.
Greenwood trained with the England team, Maguire got extra rest, Pogba was ill, all of them got extra rest.

I think Ole has been very good in bringing the players up to speed,

It seems that the arguments changing slightly from fatigue and tiredness, to lack of preparation and pre season conditioning. The two can overlap but are definitely not the same.

romufc

I play football, I also coach football for adults and Kids, I play at a very good standard and am fully aware of the importance of fitness and conditioning. I train twice a week and up until recently did play Saturday and Sunday, have now knocked Sunday on the head to concentrate on Saturday, all whilst working full time and being a father.
Trust me, I know about fatigue :lol:

Lindlelof played a full game before his manager left him out, so it wasn't fatigue from previous, just fatigue from the game before. Quite simple to explain really.
Greenwood trained with the England team, Maguire got extra rest, Pogba was ill, all of them got extra rest.

I think Ole has been very good in bringing the players up to speed,

It seems that the arguments changing slightly from fatigue and tiredness, to lack of preparation and pre season conditioning. The two can overlap but are definitely not the same.
I don't know what excuses others are using but it is quite clear to see there is lack of preparation and pre season conditioning going on here.

We are 2/3 yards off it all over the place. When simple 5 yard passes are not being played.

I see alot of fans calling for Ole's head, if in 2 weeks time performances have not improved, then we can all agree it is to do with the manager not fitness.

Ludens the Red

Fitness is always an issue for this United team, always, always.
Under Mourinho we ran less than 3/4 of the league.
Ole comes in , we start well then we end the season like a bunch of drunks.
Fitness issue is brought up. We were told the players weren’t used to that intensity so tired out. They need a full pre season under the new regime.
New season comes, players dropping like flies and don’t look fit again despite having this crucial pre season.

United come out of lockdown play really well for five games then performances drop like a cheap hooker.
The fitness excuse comes in once again. “They played too many games” “Ole didn’t rest them” “why are we going for cups”.
And now here it is again.... again and again and again.

I’m just so fecking bored of this endless shit every season. Endless excuses on why a bunch of professional footballers playing for Manchester United can’t keep up a basic level of fitness and match endurance for more than ten games a season. Every fecking excuse under the sun...
The coach, no pre season, too many games, not enough time off, too much travelling, too hot, too cold, coronavirus etc etc

What’s hilarious is that the only player in this team who should be looking fecked and knackered is the one who on Saturday looked like he couldn’t stop running - Bruno Fernandes....

The reasons why we have bad fitness issues is because 1) we have players who repeatedly show they cannot be trusted to keep themselves in good condition.
2) We have not had a coaching team capable of getting these players into good condition.
How many years must this go on before people stop using excuses like pre season and too many games and all the other crap.

Every single time this team plays badly (which is a lot) you have this array of posters who will always attribute it to lack of fitness. It can never be the players fault or the managers fault, it is always because of fitness which for some bizarre reason is not the responsibility of the players or the manager.

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

Fitness is always an issue for this United team, always, always.
Under Mourinho we ran less than 3/4 of the league.
Ole comes in , we start well then we end the season like a bunch of drunks.
Fitness issue is brought up. We were told the players weren’t used to that intensity so tired out. They need a full pre season under the new regime.
New season comes, players dropping like flies and don’t look fit again despite having this crucial pre season.

United come out of lockdown play really well for five games then performances drop like a cheap hooker.
The fitness excuse comes in once again. “They played too many games” “Ole didn’t rest them” “why are we going for cups”.
And now here it is again.... again and again and again.

I’m just so fecking bored of this endless shit every season. Endless excuses on why a bunch of professional footballers playing for Manchester United can’t keep up a basic level of fitness and match endurance for more than ten games a season. Every fecking excuse under the sun...
The coach, no pre season, too many games, not enough time off, too much travelling, too hot, too cold, coronavirus etc etc

What’s hilarious is that the only player in this team who should be looking fecked and knackered is the one who on Saturday looked like he couldn’t stop running - Bruno Fernandes....

The reasons why we have bad fitness issues is because 1) we have players who repeatedly show they cannot be trusted to keep themselves in good condition.
2) We have not had a coaching team capable of getting these players into good condition.
How many years must this go on before people stop using excuses like pre season and too many games and all the other crap.

Every single time this team plays badly (which is a lot) you have this array of posters who will always attribute it to lack of fitness. It can never be the players fault or the managers fault, it is always because of fitness which for bizarre reason is not the responsibility or the players of the manager.
Good post and I agree with you. Fitness have been a constant struggle for us. At some point you got to ask questions about our fitness team.

Shiva87

Okay. Did you herald their fitness when they were clearly the best prepared after coming out of a 3 month lockdown?

If yes - let's drop the debate on United being fit enough.

On Spurs - they had 4 friendlies and sufficient training pre season to get up to peak fitness. We will be their 7th competitive game - but they have heavily rotated thier squad across those games. I dont care if they are fully fit or half baked as long as we have enough in our legs to beat them next weekend. After watching us in the last 2 league games - it does not look promising.

The fixture congestion hasn't been kind to teams in Europe, and other teams should (and must) benefit from it. This is just one of those subjective things which play out over a full season. It's a massive advantage that Liverpool have over City (their closest title rivals). They should make the most of it.

At United, our teams focus should be to make sure that we get 3 points every game, by hook or by crook till we get match fit. This difference can also create a huge motivational push if used right.

As such I don't see talking about it being such a bad thing. What we should ask is if ourmanagement is using it as a tool to make everyone work harder in training!

Edit on Spurs:. Just realised that they have 3 games this week, and it looks like they will play a second string against Chelsea to avoid fitness issues.

Last edited:

Bristol_Red_87

Fitness or just a lack of drive/motivation?

Its hard to decipher but I'd suggest the way the club is currently run from top to bottom points to the latter.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Make excuses for Pep, but blame Ole. We are on to you :lol:
Make excuses? What the feck you on about. City had a convincing performance followed by an unconvincing one.

We had two tripe performances. This isn't about blindly acting like a 5 year old and spitting on anything that's not loving Ole. Grow up.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Make excuses? What the feck you on about. City had a convincing performance followed by an unconvincing one.

We had two tripe performances. This isn't about blindly acting like a 5 year old and spitting on anything that's not loving Ole. Grow up.
City played Wolves, who also played in Europe post-pandemic, but even still didn't play well in the second half. Don't be naive.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
City played Wolves, who also played in Europe post-pandemic, but even still didn't play well in the second half. Don't be naive.
So what, they still were convincing enough to beat them enough to let go a little in the second half.

I'm not actually saying that fatigue isn't a factor in our loss to Palace, that would be daft. But there were much larger issues at hand and that's reflected by the fact that we played worse after a week's further rest.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
So what, they still were convincing enough to beat them enough to let go a little in the second half.
So now it's because they took the foot off the gas? Let's be honest, you are affording excuses to City that you wouldn't to United.

I'm not actually saying that fatigue isn't a factor in our loss to Palace, that would be daft. But there were much larger issues at hand and that's reflected by the fact that we played worse after a week's further rest.
So did City. So did Bayern. So did Wolves. Genuinely not understanding the point you are trying to make.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So now it's because they took the foot off the gas? Let's be honest, you are affording excuses to City that you wouldn't to United.
How is that an excuse? What the feck is wrong with you, this isn't some sort of conspiracy theory. A team with a 2-0 lead in the second half will take the foot off the gas and generally take it easier 8 times out of 10. It doesn't matter if its City, Leeds, United, Arsenal, Everton.
So did City. So did Bayern. So did Wolves. Genuinely not understanding the point you are trying to make.
That we have problems in our team that's not just driven by fitness. Ole said the fitness issues should be resolved and we've addressed much of it in his pre-match interview versus Brighton. And we got dicked on sideways. Our issues is not just down to fitness. This passive, slower tempo of play and problems in being pressed deep has been an ongoing issue for us. Refer to Southampton last season for example.

Untd55

City: Wolves and Leicester

Manutd: Crystal Palace and Brighton

Need I say more?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
How is that an excuse? What the feck is wrong with you, this isn't some sort of conspiracy theory. A team with a 2-0 lead in the second half will take the foot off the gas and generally take it easier 8 times out of 10. It doesn't matter if its City, Leeds, United, Arsenal, Everton.
So why aren't you arguing the same for United vs Brighton? I think we all know the answer.

That we have problems in our team that's not just driven by fitness. Ole said the fitness issues should be resolved and we've addressed much of it in his pre-match interview versus Brighton. And we got dicked on sideways. Our issues is not just down to fitness. This passive, slower tempo of play and problems in being pressed deep has been an ongoing issue for us. Refer to Southampton last season for example.
Strawman. Nobody said fitness was the only problem. The point was fitness was a factor, just as it was for any team who had to play European matches after the restart. It's not complicated at all to understand why the thread was bumped, but do you.

Champ

Okay. Did you herald their fitness when they were clearly the best prepared after coming out of a 3 month lockdown?

If yes - let's drop the debate on United being fit enough.

On Spurs - they had 4 friendlies and sufficient training pre season to get up to peak fitness. We will be their 7th competitive game - but they have heavily rotated thier squad across those games. I dont care if they are fully fit or half baked as long as we have enough in our legs to beat them next weekend. After watching us in the last 2 league games - it does not look promising.

The fixture congestion hasn't been kind to teams in Europe, and other teams should (and must) benefit from it. This is just one of those subjective things which play out over a full season. It's a massive advantage that Liverpool have over City (their closest title rivals). They should make the most of it.

At United, our teams focus should be to make sure that we get 3 points every game, by hook or by crook till we get match fit. This difference can also create a huge motivational push if used right.

As such I don't see talking about it being such a bad thing. What we should ask is if ourmanagement is using it as a tool to make everyone work harder in training!

Edit on Spurs:. Just realised that they have 3 games this week, and it looks like they will play a second string against Chelsea to avoid fitness issues.

Three points every game is paramount, obviously won't happen but yeah we need to be targeting a win every game even when things are against us.

Spurs have played every three days or so for the past two weeks! I hope they're fecking knackered :lol:

Dr. StrangeHate

This wasn't a fitness issue, Pep came up against a manager to rival him. Leeds will crush us both home and away.

Champ

Nowt to do with fitness, more to do with poor form.

90 + 5min

Said in match thread. It is till about getting fitness and sharpness back after playing in August. How can't people understand that?

Players are not machines. They are humans. People need to read little bit about anatomy.

acnumber9

De Bruyne looks a mile off. City have become more and more reliant on him.

norm87cro

I said it before and I'll say it again. Pep doesn't look very good when things aren't going his way. His clueless face in the stands while his much older counterpart is screaming in the rain sums him up. No spine, no determination, no will to win. If he doesn't return to Barca while Messi is still there I don't excpect him to be very successful in the future. Might as well hand over number 20 to the Dippers now. A team that doesn't have fitness issues for those who use that as an excuse for City.

InfiniteBoredom

I'm sure we will get at least 4 points off them. As a team, they will play to our strengths. Allowing us space to counter.
Yeah we totally spanked his Bilbao team under SAF in the EL.

We may yet get points off them, but the more likely scenario is them being super motivated playing us off the park.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I'd like to thank whoever made this thread from the bottom of my heart, didn't put a hex on us at all.

Foxbatt

Yeah we totally spanked his Bilbao team under SAF in the EL.

We may yet get points off them, but the more likely scenario is them being super motivated playing us off the park.
We have spanked many a team under SAF.