CL/EL Semi Finals Draw | United draw Celta (away leg first)

GazTheLegend

Celta Vigo have been beaten 13 times in La Liga this season in 31 games. They're 10th.

I'm sure they're a good side but we should be very disappointed if we don't progress.

snk123

If we get Rojo back - we will go through. Can't believe I would have said this a year ago.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I meant the performance level but sure you knew that.
Whats been wrong with our home performances in Europa? And if you were going to criticise one aspect surely our away record would've made more sense?

prtk0811

Every game is a new game, Pogba was getting exposed yesterday in a two man midfeild but when we put extra man in , it was all fine. We'll go through to the finals.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
That and we noticeably didn't look arsed.
We did in the 2nd leg IMO. We looked determined to turn it around. We did stroll through the first leg admittedly.

Either way, the point is, I don't think Celta being 10th in La Liga really means anything. They certainly shouldn't be underestimated based on league position.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
We did in the 2nd leg IMO. We looked determined to turn it around. We did stroll through the first leg admittedly.

Either way, the point is, I don't think Celta being 10th in La Liga really means anything. They certainly shouldn't be underestimated based on league position.
Theyve lost 10 games this season too. We certainly should be beating them. We wouldn't be saying a 2 legged fixture against 10th placed Watford would be tough, or Eintracht or Sampdoria for that matter.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We're obviously the best side in the competition, but we have to match the motivation and determination that the opponents have in order to win it. Thats it basically. If we go into the games relaxed and expecting to win, we'll struggle like yesterday. If we go in with the same concentration and attitufe as the chelsea game, we'll win it all.

minoo-utd

We win this cup, Jose should rest some important players in the league IMO it's time to put all the eggs in E.L basket.

VanGaalEra

That's true, but then again, Barcelona have lost to Alaves (currently 11th in La Liga), Deportivo La Coruna (currently 16th in La Liga) and Malaga (currently 15th in La Liga) this season. And Real Madrid against Valencia (currently 12th in La Liga). They are not the only 'underdogs' that have been able to beat the 'giants'.
They beat Real over two legs.

A lot of Spanish La Liga watching people state they're similar to Biesla Bilbao, the Bilbao that knocked us out in 2012.

RedMaestro

A lot of Spanish La Liga watching people state they're similar to Biesla Bilbao, the Bilbao that knocked us out in 2012.
I haven't seen their games that much, but I would say that those similarities were there during their previous season, 15/16, when Nolito played for them. They seem to play a bit more different now. At least from those few matches I've seen, I could be wrong.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
We beat ourselves while playing them over two legs

eh, i wouldn't compare them to Bielsa's Athletic. They're not that good. Dangerous team, but you're the much better side and at the end of the day it's up to what you do...

I mean, they beat barcelona at home, but they also lost 5-0 in barcelona, and they went in the CdR to Alaves...

Redondo_Pirri

Supports
Real Madrid

eh, i wouldn't compare them to Bielsa's Athletic. They're not that good. Dangerous team, but you're the much better side and at the end of the day it's up to what you do...

I mean, they beat barcelona at home, but they also lost 5-0 in barcelona, and they went in the CdR to Alaves...
That 5 nil loss they were playing their second string team.
They are the epitome of giant killers, so dangerous on the counter attack, you can score against them but take them lightly they can score on you just as easily. They have blinding pace on the flanks and through the middle. Anyone slow will be a liability.

They seem to relish the challenge of big teams and fade back in to mediocrity against the smaller clubs. So it is a dangerous game for Man Utd. I'm sure Jose will do his homework.

KN5

After reading all the caftards comments about Vigo I was scared about this draw, cheers for restoring my confidence! 2-1 United away, 2-0 at home!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
After reading all the caftards comments about Vigo I was scared about this draw, cheers for restoring my confidence! 2-1 United away, 2-0 at home!
They're very dangerous. If you play the way you played against anderlecht or rostov, i can see them knocking you out honestly

KN5

They're very dangerous. If you play the way you played against anderlecht or rostov, i can see them knocking you out honestly
Would you say set up against then the same way we set up against Chelsea? Bar the man marking.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Would you say set up against then the same way we set up against Chelsea? Bar the man marking.
They have a ton of pace and are technically better than the chelsea team you faced in midfield. I dunno, as mentioned, they're game-raisers, so it's difficult to judge how tough of an opponent they would be for you.

For us, we played them 3 times and they gave us hell all 3, but we didn't play well in any of them. They were tough to break down when they sat deep and were terrifying on the counter. And they have enough quality to hide the ball from you in stretches

What i'm saying is, you have better players, a better team, and José. Trust those, especially the last one, to see you through ;)

So long as you run as much as them, you should be fine

KN5

They have a ton of pace and are technically better than the chelsea team you faced in midfield. I dunno, as mentioned, they're game-raisers, so it's difficult to judge how tough of an opponent they would be for you.

For us, we played them 3 times and they gave us hell all 3, but we didn't play well in any of them. They were tough to break down when they sat deep and were terrifying on the counter. And they have enough quality to hide the ball from you in stretches

What i'm saying is, you have better players, a better team, and José. Trust those, especially the last one, to see you through ;)
Shite, sit back and hit us on the counter, sounds like half the lower teams in the EPL's strategy vs Us. But now they have an awesome counter attack and quick players and a midfield technically better than Chelsea? We could easily be fecked here, now I'm scared again, christ.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Chelsea's midfield was Matic, Kante, Azpi, Moses tbf. Not exactly the most technically gifted midfield in the world...

you'll be fine so long as they don't run much more than you

Redondo_Pirri

Supports
Real Madrid
Betting market odds of advancing for semifinal round:
Real Madrid (60%) vs. Atletico Madrid (40%)
AS Monaco (30%) vs. Juventus (70%)

Overall odds of winning Champions League:
Juventus: 36%
Real Madrid: 35%
Atletico Madrid: 18%
AS Monaco: 11%

We need an rvn

League statistics hardly tell the whole story.

Celta have nothing to play for in the league and will be able to rest players.

We also have a woeful record against Spanish teams. This is a tough draw.
Oh I agree in that league stats don't tell the story, but I'd rather have them over Lyon given the league form as Celta are not having a great season at all. And I also fancy Ajax as a one-off game over Lyon or Celta, hence in my eyes this is a pretty good draw as we have two legs should something go balls-up in the first leg.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Oh I agree in that league stats don't tell the story, but I'd rather have them over Lyon given the league form as Celta are not having a great season at all. And I also fancy Ajax as a one-off game over Lyon or Celta, hence in my eyes this is a pretty good draw as we have two legs should something go balls-up in the first leg.
Let's hope that's it turns out that way.

I just have uncomfortable nightmares of headlines like Liverpool flop (Aspas) knocks United out of Europe. Celta Vigo are a rather decent attacking side.

We can only beat what is in front of us,but we need to raise our game.

Ixion

People worked themselves up into a frenzy about having to play a game in Russia and were shitting their pants about maybe going to Besiktas. I think unless Genk went through and we got them people would be worried about any of the teams we drew.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Good draw.. Celta in a one game final would had been more tricky than two games with a week or two between them.
This.

They are, or rather were, Barca's bogey team. Ask Ter Stegen, he had the worst game of his career against them. They're definitely easier to beat over two legs than in the final, where they could just Barca us. Happy with the draw.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
We've got Atlético :lol:

Honestly I think it was the best draw for us, I can see us already on the final. :D

Lordyfw

Supports
AFC Ajax
Apparently Lacazette might miss the semis due to some problems with his hamstrings he got during the match with Besiktas (Jean-Michel Aulas said so). Although Lyon still are by far the favourites imo, this does improve our changes to go through to the final.

sergiosigurvinson

This is definitely the best draw for us.
Ajax is a far better team, with a few very good youngsters. They threw Schalke (a decent German team) out of the competition. In the poules they were the better team of Vigo.
The final will probably be Manchester United - Lyon.

Brightonian

There really aren't any draws available that won't potentially be very tough. On paper Lyon was the one to avoid, but if we don't show up 100% any of these sides could knock us out.

Much as we'd all love to be in the CL instead, it is nice to get to play some less familiar European opponents. You forget that underneath that same set of 12 CL giants there's a huge catalogue of very respectable European clubs. I think Celta's a nice draw.