CL should introduce wildcards, says Barca president

RustyS

I'd like it if the wildcard was actually wild. Put every top division club in Europe into a hat and pull out one name.
I thought you are taking this in a different direction. Teams having to play in revealing, all leather, shirt and shorts.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
These non-rich clubs should just be closed. Make a rule that in football only clubs with €100m+ budget can compete. Close all Eastern European leagues. Actually scrap that, close all East Europe countries while you're at it, there's no point to them.
That is exactly how Nazi Germany started

adexkola

Supports
No. Don't reward today's big clubs at the expense of tomorrow's.

For what it's worth, I'm against the "win the Champions League and automatically qualify for next year" rule too for similar reasons. If you want the best clubs in the competition, get them to finish as one of the best clubs in their respective leagues.
I disagree. The champion has the right to defend their title. In fact, their place in the tournament is more justified than that of any other club.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Elite Club Twat said:
Sometimes, clubs have a bad season and it is a big punishment to not play in the Champions League. We need a stronger Champions League and more and more interest for the football fans and to make it more competitive.
Back in the late 1980s Silvio Berlusconi expressed a similar sentiment. Just sub out "bad season" for "bad draw in the first round" and "Champions League" for "European Cup" and it's the same quote. In the interests of retaining some sort of competitive value to a Champions League that already systematically favours elite clubs, let's hope this idea doesn't have legs.

Sparky Rhiwabon

They do this in some of the big tennis tournaments dont they? I don't notice much fuss about it there so why not?

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
They do this in some of the big tennis tournaments dont they? I don't notice much fuss about it there so why not?
Some of the members have already mentioned just a sample of reasons i.e. Tennis not being a billion dollar industry like Football, so the indifferences this could cause will out-weigh any mere positive impact of such stipulation.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
If you don't qualify you're out. Simple. It's bad enough that the winners now get to side-step the rules, no need for more "exceptions".

A definite no. Terrible idea.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Silly idea. A team shouldn't be in the competition just because it's a big name and therefore shouldn't take the spot of another smaller team, who performed better in the same or their league and qualified. It's already hard enough for the small teams to compete with the big and rich clubs, that rule would make it even harder, doesn't sound fair to me.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Rather then wildcards I would give allow all top 4 in major leagues a chance to play in the CL

Eriku

Definitely. This, the 39th Premier League match, a European Super League... these are all things the sport definitely needs. It's not as if it's been any fun seeing Leicester confound expectations this year.

adexkola

Supports
Top 4 finish in major leagues...etc. to qualify for CL. I meant winner of CL or EL.
The winner of the CL has always been able to defend their trophy from the beginning. Hierachy of deservedness:

1. Winner of competition
2. Winners of domestic leagues
3. Runner ups and other clubs to make up the places

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If they are so concerned about the money thing, make the tournament 64 teams, Just double every country's slots with qualifying rounds like happens now.
The original 32 get seeded, the other 32 unseeded. K/O 2 legged match. If the unseeded team is lucky, we might be looking at say Utd vs Gent else Utd vs Barca. Then the normal format

Someone

Something
It's not a fair idea, but the team finishing outside the CL spots isn't necessarily going to be the same team playing the competition next year.

For example if we finish 5th but change the manager and sign 2 or 3 top quality players, i'd fancy our chances and chelsea's to do much better than spurs and LC, both team fully deserve to be the CL but it'd be a miracle if they make it out of group stages.

So i kinda understand where he's coming from, but i agree that it's not fair.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Pretty good idea if you ask me, depending on the criteria.

Felt we really deserved a wild card after the Moyes season, after a record of 17 consecutive seasons playing Champions League and making 3 finals in the last 6 years at that time and having a huge budget to buy top players it was very weird not to see us in the biggest tournament.

I believe small clubs make around around 20 million for playing in the group stages of the Champions League. Surely we could've reimbursed a club with no history like say Cluj or Maribor by paying them 30 million, after which they got to take a place in the Europa League so they'd still have European football at a level where there's a bigger chance they could've been competitive.

Not sure how I would feel about a club like Spurs getting a wildcard though, of course they would be good for the tournament but at the same time they can't make any historical claim. But massive clubs like Real, United or Milan who have a great history in the tournament should always be in it as far as I'm concerned, preferably taking the place of smallest clubs with the lowest budgets and the fewest chance of getting results in the group stage.

I also definitely believe the draws of the knock-out rounds have been fixed over the years, that hasn't harmed the tournament. So why should giving wildcards to some of the biggest clubs in the history of the tournament be harmful or unfair?
Why don't we just go the whole hog and pay other clubs so that we always come 1st every year
Then instead of the bigger clubs already having a massive advantage, we could make sure it's 100% fixed every year.

That'd be great wouldn't it.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Why don't we just go the whole hog and pay other clubs so that we always come 1st every year
Then instead of the bigger clubs already having a massive advantage, we could make sure it's 100% fixed every year.

That'd be great wouldn't it.
Spot on, that was exactly the point I was trying to make.

Though I the guess reactions are my own fault for not explaining it better. By the way @Black Adder I've been reading up on Cluj and Maribor, and you were absolutely right for accusing me of making one of the most ignorant posts ever on this board, they truly have a magnificent history.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If they are so concerned about the money thing, make the tournament 64 teams, Just double every country's slots with qualifying rounds like happens now.
The original 32 get seeded, the other 32 unseeded. K/O 2 legged match. If the unseeded team is lucky, we might be looking at say Utd vs Gent else Utd vs Barca. Then the normal format
Remember when there used to be that first knockout group stage?
My word that was a tedious procession!

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Spot on, that was exactly the point I was trying to make.

Though I the guess reactions are my own fault for not explaining it better. By the way @Black Adder I've been reading up on Cluj and Maribor, and you were absolutely right for accusing me of making one of the most ignorant posts ever on this board, they truly have a magnificent history.
Thanks for noticing, now tell me what european history have PSG, Arsenal or City, besides being much richer than Cluj or Maribor?

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
The winner of the CL has always been able to defend their trophy from the beginning. Hierachy of deservedness:

1. Winner of competition
2. Winners of domestic leagues
3. Runner ups and other clubs to make up the places
1- The bolded part is wrong. The rules were changed in 2005. While the winners usually qualify for the next season's CL, there was no rule to give them an exception/automatic qualification, until 2005.

2- That order is your opinion, which I disagree with strongly. There is no way Liverpool (2005) and Chelsea (2012) were better or more deserving to compete in the top competition than the league winners. They were just sh*tty teams who got lucky in a cup competition. The league is always a better indicator of how good a team is than any cup competition.

3- It's not only the CL winner, but the Europa League winner too is getting that exception now.

4- Even though I don't like those exceptions (whether you agree with me or not), awarding automatic qualification randomly like that is just taking it to a whole new (stupid) level. Just give the spots to the teams that earned their places through playing a long season to prove they're the best in their country.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Thanks for noticing, now tell me what european history have PSG, Arsenal or City, besides being much richer than Cluj or Maribor?
Are you 12? If you read back the thread, where do I imply City or PSG are such great additions for the Champions League? And what's Arsenal got to do with them, they've made they're own success by steadily building a nice club instead of spending an insane amount of artificial money, and they've done pretty well reaching the knock out rounds of the Champions League countless of times.

adexkola

Supports
1- The bolded part is wrong. The rules were changed in 2005. While the winners usually qualify for the next season's CL, there was no rule to give them an exception/automatic qualification, until 2005.

2- That order is your opinion, which I disagree with strongly. There is no way Liverpool (2005) and Chelsea (2012) were better or more deserving to compete in the top competition than the league winners. They were just sh*tty teams who got lucky in a cup competition. The league is always a better indicator of how good a team is than any cup competition.

3- It's not only the CL winner, but the Europa League winner too is getting that exception now.

4- Even though I don't like those exceptions (whether you agree with me or not), awarding automatic qualification randomly like that is just taking it to a whole new (stupid) level. Just give the spots to the teams that earned their places through playing a long season to prove they're the best in their country.
It is not wrong. Real Zarazoga got bumped by Real Madrid who finished 5th in 2000 while winning it. The hoopla came about as a result of inconsistencies in the English FA in 2005. UEFA rightly ruled that whoever wins the CL (which by the way, is not a title for the best club in Europe, but a title for the club who was able to win the damned competition) should be in it next season. By your rationale, if a club from Ireland won the CL but finished second, then they shouldn't be awarded a place in the competition next season. That's ludicrous. The league is a separate competition from the Champions League. How is a 4th placed team in one competition more worthy to enter another qualification than a team that actually won that competition?

I don't think Europa League winners should be able to enter the CL. Make it it's own reward. I also disagree with the overall premise of the thread. Just felt you went a little bit too far on the other side IMO :)

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Are you 12? If you read back the thread, where do I imply City or PSG are such great additions for the Champions League? And what's Arsenal got to do with them, they've made they're own success by steadily building a nice club instead of spending an insane amount of artificial money, and they've done pretty well reaching the knock out rounds of the Champions League countless of times.
Reaching knock out rounds suddenly means
success in Europe? Oh what an achivement!

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Instead of a wildcard they should pick the best remaining players left playing in Europe in teams that didn't qualify and make a super team out of them and enter them into the Champions League.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
It is not wrong. Real Zarazoga got bumped by Real Madrid who finished 5th in 2000 while winning it. The hoopla came about as a result of inconsistencies in the English FA in 2005. UEFA rightly ruled that whoever wins the CL (which by the way, is not a title for the best club in Europe, but a title for the club who was able to win the damned competition) should be in it next season. By your rationale, if a club from Ireland won the CL but finished second, then they shouldn't be awarded a place in the competition next season. That's ludicrous. The league is a separate competition from the Champions League. How is a 4th placed team in one competition more worthy to enter another qualification than a team that actually won that competition?

I don't think Europa League winners should be able to enter the CL. Make it it's own reward. I also disagree with the overall premise of the thread. Just felt you went a little bit too far on the other side IMO :)
Fair enough.

I'm still with the FA on the CL winner exception, but I can live with the winner of the Champions getting a place, but Europa League winner and now this :mad: (which thankfully won't happen).

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
The big teams already get enough going their way as it is, even with teams dropping into the Europa League. As mentioned, if you're not good enough to qualify in the first place then it's tough luck and your own fault.
This new idea won't benefit smaller clubs, just the likes of Man Utd or whoever misses out on a place that season.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Finally someone has had the courage to stand up for the big clubs. For too long now the CL and football in general has sought to punish the biggest and wealthiest clubs and it needs to stop now.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
As a big tennis fan, I don't have a problem with wild cards. Unlike tennis though, I can't see how it would work in football.

Nevertheless, the idea is tempting when you're struggling as we are:D

It might not seem like you deserve it if you did not finish in the top four of your league, but who knows what the next season will bring? Look at Goran Ivanisevic, struggling with his game and physically for a while before Wimbledon 2001 - he was so bad, no one thought he'd win anything much less Wimbledon. As a 3 times finalist however, the All England club granted him a wildcard, and it turned out to be one of the very best grand slam performances from a player, and extremely entertaining for the audience.

Revan

Assumptionman
Shit idea. There are 3-4 teams that qualify for UCL from top countries. If you're not one of them, then you have no business being in UCL.

anant

Remember when there used to be that first knockout group stage?
My word that was a tedious procession!
Yes but 2 games more and basically guaranteed qualification for all top sides, without a lot of controversy, thats win win for clubs and UEFA

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Yes but 2 games more and basically guaranteed qualification for all top sides, without a lot of controversy, thats win win for clubs and UEFA
Yeah but it would in turn hurt the leagues. The top 4 is a major selling point (and let's be honest, often more exciting than who is going to win the league).

A 64 team competition might work if the vast majority of those places where given to Leagues 4-52, but even then you are just further weakening the competition.

anant

Yeah but it would in turn hurt the leagues. The top 4 is a major selling point (and let's be honest, often more exciting than who is going to win the league).

A 64 team competition might work if the vast majority of those places where given to Leagues 4-52, but even then you are just further weakening the competition.
Yes, I do agree that slots should be given for lower leagues, and I am against this, but what I'm saying is instead of trying to implement wildcards, I'd rather a 64 team tournament instead.

lysglimt

Scout
In tennis it is a good idea because players who have been out with injuries maybe deserve to participate even if they dont qualify. In football there is no such argument

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

And expanding it makes the Europa an even crapper competition still.

Which takes some doing.