CL vs Premier League | Which is more prestigious?

Which is more prestigious?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schneckerl

the question is not which is harder to win/requires more consistency but which is more prestigious

the World Cup is the most prestigious trophy on the planet, but is heavily influenced by form and flukes

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
1 billion percent The Champions League.

I would give up the next 3 years of not winning the league if we could even just have 1 more CL. We are seriously lacking in CL's as a top club.

5red

Supports
Liverpool
1 billion percent The Champions League.

I would give up the next 3 years of not winning the league if we could even just have 1 more CL. We are seriously lacking in CL's as a top club.
Even if those 3 went to Liverpool?

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I’ve always found that the CL is the most prestigious competition in world football, providing its won simultaneously with the respective club’s league title.

There’s just something weird about a club not being the best in the league but being considered the champions of Europe.

Jaybomb

Champions League by far.

We’ve only won it 3 times compared to the 20 league titles. That says it all.

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
Champions League is less prestigious if the winner didn't also win the league within the same era. See Liverpool 2005 CL win. I cannot honestly say that Liverpool team is a great team. It just feels like a cup win to me.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Saying that, you can win the CL due to luck - but you can never win the league over 38 games because of luck. Even Leicester didn't strike luck, they just won the most games. By luck in the CL I mean penalties, red cards, wrong decisions, suspensions, meeting teams that are severely off form (like Real Madrid these days) and so forth.
Which CL winner won because of luck ?

Also if you consider things like penalties and Injuries as luck then it seems just as valid to claim Leicester won because of luck( roughly twice as many penalties as any other side and some evidence they recieved favorable ref treatment due to their fairy tale. No key injuries all season unlike any Arsenal season in the last 15 years). The defending champion having a weird manager indiced meltdown, etc. That looks as 'lucky' as any CL winner from my point of view

So if CL can be said to be won by luck then it's also a valid argument that Leicester won by luck as well.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Champions league is more prestigious.

It doesn't necessarily mean the team is better, and it definitely doesn't mean the team is more consistent however.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
champion of europe or champion of england ?
it is very very obvious
Indeed. The FIFA World Club Championship is even more prestigious. Do you remember Real Madrid v Kashima Antlers? What a match.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
champion of europe or champion of england ?
it is very very obvious
It’s not even that, it’s the fact that it’s so much harder to win the Champions League in my opinion. Some great teams in the past like Arsenal in the early 00’s have never won it, and United having only won it twice during their period of utter domination in the PL speaks volumes. I can’t see City winning it this year, for example, even though they’re fecking class. Will they be able to beat several top teams like PSG, Barcelona, Madrid? What with the added pressure too?

There’s, of course, exceptions like Chelsea winning it in 2012 after finishing 6th in the same year in the PL, however they finished 3rd in the following season and won the Europa League too, so they were clearly a cracking side.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Clearly CL. But as a Liverpool fan, I’d much prefer to win the league.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Indeed. The FIFA World Club Championship is even more prestigious. Do you remember Real Madrid v Kashima Antlers? What a match.
It used to be though. From 60s to mid 1990s the Intercontinental Cup was massively prestigious, probably the most prestigious club trophy around the world during that time. That Sao Paulo side of the mid 1990s that beat Cruyff's Barcelona and Capello's Milan was probably the last SA side that was legitimately on par with the best in Europe though.

Money of course makes it a joke now.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
The PL title becomes less prestigious over time in recent years since the EPL as a whole has been on a downswing over the past ten years.

All the big boys play in the CL

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
It used to be though. From 60s to mid 1990s the Intercontinental Cup was massively prestigious, probably the most prestigious club trophy around the world during that time. That Sao Paulo side of the mid 1990s that beat Cruyff's Barcelona and Capello's Milan was probably the last SA side that was legitimately on par with the best in Europe though.

Money of course makes it a joke now.
You may well be correct, although I am afraid I cannot remember a single winner of that trophy during the period you describe. I am happy to concede that being English, that may be as much to do with my country's insularity when it comes to affairs outside our shores as it to do with the prestige of the trophy. My point was the lack of logic of the person I replied to. As far as I am concerned the winner of the PL deserves the utmost respect. A CL win is obviously glamorous but give me the PL every time. A few competitive games in Europe does not compare with a league campaign.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
I'm not really sure what the conversation is? Obviously being champions of Europe is more prestigious than being champions of a single nation. But it's not necessarily a bigger or harder achievement, which is what seems to be getting debated. As mentioned before, some people might have different reasons to prefer one over the other, like Liverpool fans may want the title next season and not the CL, since it would end a long title drought.

Revan

Assumptionman
Bump.

I really don't remember ever feeling this happy after a league win. Never ever. To all people who choose league over UCL, when is the last time you felt so good after a match in the league?

Siorac

Bump.

I really don't remember ever feeling this happy after a league win. Never ever. To all people who choose league over UCL, when is the last time you felt so good after a match in the league?
O'Shea's winner in front of the Kop in 2007, probably.

Beating Chelsea in the "title decider" in 2011 was fantastic, too.

Revan

Assumptionman
O'Shea's winner in front of the Kop in 2007, probably.

Beating Chelsea in the "title decider" in 2011 was fantastic, too.
Remember both, going nuts in both cases, but nowhere near as emotioned as today. For me the only one who surpassed this was Viva John Terry, and probably the same effect the final whistle against Barca. I am still in some weird panic but amazind mode, and the game has finished 2 hours ago.

Siorac

Remember both, going nuts in both cases, but nowhere near as emotioned as today. For me the only one who surpassed this was Viva John Terry, and probably the same effect the final whistle against Barca. I am still in some weird panic but amazind mode, and the game has finished 2 hours ago.
:lol: yeah I know the feeling.

I still get nervous when I think back to Rashford's penalty. As if in my memory he could somehow miss it and therefore we'd be knocked out retroactively.

RG 11

Bump.

Machedaaaaaaaaaaa was close but yeah nothing beats last minute knockout drama.

Revan

Assumptionman
:lol: yeah I know the feeling.

I still get nervous when I think back to Rashford's penalty. As if in my memory he could somehow miss it and therefore we'd be knocked out retroactively.
I really need to watch it again. I just don't know what happened bar the ball ending in the goal. Just got fatigued from VAR and then was screaming and jumping in the other room like an idiot. My flatmate thought that I had gone insane.