Classic Players - Paul McGrath : Le God

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Paul McGrath - Le God

Post 1 & 2 - Exclusive match compilations of Paul McGrath

Post 3 - Short Profile

Post 4 - Quotes & Points for discussion

Please feel free to contribute and express your thoughts on Paul McGrath (from what you've heard or read about him thus far), your opinions on the footage above and if possible, share anecdotes or any first hand experiences.

Manchester United Footage

1984 European Cup Winners Cup Semi-Finals

Great game from McGrath from a LCM/LDM position against Juventus in the European Cup Winners Cup semi final, keeping tabs on the likes of Platini and Boniek excellently, whilst being United's greatest threat on the night, with his aerial prowess causing absolute mayhem against a World Cup winning defense. His reading of the game is of course, on the money and his class on the ball apparent - his ball control, one touch passing etc without being too extravagant.

1985 Fa Cup Final

MOTM against Everton who were an excellent side and had just won the league and the European Cup Winner's Cup and needed the FA Cup to complete the treble, not the last time he'd do that as we'd find out in 1994 :(.

1985 English League

A typically assured yet utterly commanding display against the Citizens for United in the derby

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Other Footage (Aston Villa & Ireland)

1990 UEFA Cup

Yet another game against an Italian heavyweight (featuring the 3 Germans Matthäus, Klinsmann, Brehme and Italian stalwart Bergomi of course). He has a good game in general as a RCB-RB, but a few iffy moments against Serena in the air. A great battle that between those 2 throughout the game. Really unlucky to go out 3-2 on aggregate as the ball went out for Inter's last goal.

A classic example of McGrath's phenomenal reading of the game at 3.05 :drool:

1988 Euros

Great display from McGrath and Ireland, which was truly deserving of a clean sheet. Had it not been for a freak Kieft goal in the 82nd minute (with Netherlands barely looking threatening till that point), it would have been Ireland and not Netherlands who would have progressed from the group stage. Football eh?

Official UEFA Match Report said:
Jack Charlton's side, making their bow in the finals, had cause to feel aggrieved. Indeed, they had come closest to scoring in Gelsenkirchen from their only corner of the match. Paul McGrath rose majestically above the defence and headed the ball firmly down against the base of the post. A last ditch intervention by Gerald Vanenburgh prevented the ball spinning over the goal line.

McGrath was imperious, a colossus with bad knees. Injury to right-back Chris Morris forced him to vacate his midfield berth for this game as cover but he was as influential as ever – at both ends. He did not deserve to be a footnote for the winner, as with desperate Dutch pressure mounting it was his header that Ronald Koeman unintentionally turned towards Kieft.

1990 World Cup

1994 World Cup

Paul McGrath said:
I reckon I was maybe sixty per cent fit for USA '94 and playing largely on instinct. My left arm was useless because of a virus in my shoulder and I needed about five paces to simply find my stride. Against the likes of Giuseppe Signori and Roberto Baggio, that made for a pretty never wrecking ordeal. If you look at photographs of that game, my arm might as well be in a sling. It's hanging limp down by my side, like a snapped branch on a tree. Yet the longer the game went on, the more confident I became.

There's a chemistry that kicks in between defender and striker. One eventually knows that he is being manipulated by the other. That day, Baggio was no longer inclined to move in my direction. Signori had been substituted. It was over.

(Not mine and credit to youtube user Keepitonthedeck for the video)

The Dutch must have been sick at the sight of him :lol:

1987 vs Rest of the World (feat Diego Maradona, Michel Platini, Stoichkov etc)

Diego Maradona, Michel Platini, Paulo Futre on the pitch and Bryan Robson having a barnstorming Roy of the Rovers performance with 2 cracking goals and a proper midfield general display? Good for them, can I have my MOTM award please?

He's just ridiculous :lol:

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
PAUL MCGRATH - The Black Pearl Of Inchicore

On November 5, 1989, Paul McGrath played 90 minutes for Aston Villa in a 6-2 league win over Everton. The game was unusual for McGrath in that the central defender played with sweatbands on both wrists.

Few of the 17,637 in Villa Park would have noticed McGrath’s sartorial tweak. Nor too Robert Millward of the Birmingham Mail. ‘Aston Villa produced their own box of fireworks to set Villa Park alight with thoughts of another League championship,’ the Birmingham Post reporter wrote.

In fact, those sweatbands were covering up a series of cuts on McGrath’s wrists, caused by a Stanley knife a few days earlier. “I was in trouble with the club,” McGrath says. “I’m drunk and ashamed, on the edge of my bed, and reaching for the knife. I remember the blood pouring across the floor and the screaming of the nanny looking after our boys.”

Football has a significant problem with the treatment of its players. The ability to kick a ball in a pleasing manner is mistaken for a skin thick enough to protect you from depression and addiction. Most supporters don’t care what occurs in a player’s private life, but woe betide them if it impacts on their ability to perform. So goes the repeated mantra of the comments section: ‘They’ve got so much money, how can they be depressed?’ A reminder, as if it should be needed – mental stability cannot be bought. Players are not robots.

McGrath was a superb footballer, but that should not be his lasting legacy. Instead he is an emphatic reminder of the frailty of sportspeople. Mental illness does not pick and choose its victim according to pre-set criteria; it is an indeterminate beast.

There is no greater tribute to McGrath’s excellence than that his battles with addiction never became apparent to supporters of Manchester United, Aston Villa or Ireland. Yet even that compliment is soaked in pathos. His ability to hide his problems only caused them to fester untreated.

McGrath was a supreme defender. His grace and style made him look out of place, a Premier League-style ball-player in the blood and thunder of the First Division. His ability to read the game allowed him to avoid the physicality and aggression many of his peers relied upon. McGrath’s elegance made him extremely popular among his own supporters, but also opposition players and supporters. He was the footballer’s defender, the perfect antidote to the grit and gruel of English football’s 1980s.

(Credit to F365 - http://www.football365.com/news/profile-of-an-icon-paul-mcgrath)

McGrath was one of those unique centre-backs whom you just didn't know how to classify. He was athletic, monstrous in the air and someone who relished the physical battle with the hustling centre-forwards, but his reading of the game was top notch, always putting out fires and his positioning impeccable - an immense blend of qualities from your archetypal ball playing centre-back and stopper. He was technically gifted and a really cultured player on the ball - esp his one-touch passes and keeping the play ticking - frequently playing as a DM for United and for Ireland in the Euros and the WC but he wasn't exactly overly domineering on the ball and tried his best to keep it simple.

Whilst there is always a tinge of regret that he never fully managed to capitalise on his immense potential*, he had the innate talent to be one of the all time greats imo, there is no doubting the fact that he was one of the best defenders of his generation - this is the 80s & early 90s lot that we are talking about, mind. Whilst his exploits against Italy is arguably his 'greatest' game amongst his body of work, he's had plenty of those big-game performances in his locker (McGrath himself says he's had better games) and has always been a key figure for both club and country.

He was an excellent defender for United - a MOTM performance against a strong Everton side in the FA Cup final, great performances against Platini's Juventus in the Cup Winner's Cup semi-finals and finishing runners up to Linker in the PFA's Player of the Year award for 1986, which is nothing short of remarkable for a defender. He'd do one better at Aston Villa and win the PFA's Player of the Year award in 1993; finishing as Football Writers' Footballer of the Year Runner up in 1992 and 1993; and winning 4 consecutive club POTY awards for Aston Villa, whilst leading them to two runners up finishes in the Football League Championship and the PL. His fantastic display against United in the 1994 League Cup Final deprived us of the chance to complete a domestic treble. In fact Fergie himself personally congratulated McGrath in the tunnel later, on his performance, despite the two not being on the best of terms. McGrath is arguably Villa's greatest player ever and is fondly referred to by Villa fans as 'God'. In fact his chant still reverberates throughout Villa Park on match-days, just as 'Ooh Aah Cantona' still does at Old Trafford.

INTERNATIONAL CAREER

McGrath's international career was exceptional to say the least and The Black Pearl of Inchicore was an inspirational and commanding presence for Ireland at the rearguard, and was the talisman and driving force behind the plucky Irish side of the late eighties and early nineties - a period in which where they were extremely unfortunate to go out in the Euros 1988 against eventual winners Netherlands (more on that later), made the quarter finals in the 1990 WC and the R16 in 1994 (where his defensive master-class against Baggio's Italy is the stuff of legends). Needless to say he won Ireland's 'Player of the Tournament' for both Euro '88 and Italia '90, and the Irish International Player of the Year twice during this period (90 & 91). Keano's won two of the latter for comparison's sake.

Paul McGrath represented his country 83 times on the football pitch scoring eight goals. It is difficult to recall a single poor performance by Paul when playing soccer for Ireland. Even when playing out of his normal position on the pitch invariably he was one of the star performers match-in match-out. Two stand-out performances spring to mind when Irish soccer fans are asked about Paul's greatest matches for Ireland. Both were against Italy. In the quarter final of the 1990 World Cup in Rome Italy were overwhelming favourites to win the match. In a very good overall team performance McGrath's performance stood out as the Irish lost narrowly 1-0.

Great as that performance was, and it really was great, Paul gave an absolute master class four years later in the opening group match in the World Cup finals in New York. Back in his favourite position at centre-half McGrath was simply magnificent. Ireland lead from early through a Ray Houghton goal. The Irish defence had to endure some periods of sustained attack from the talented Italians.

McGrath also featured in the Ballon d'Or list 4 times during his career finishing 17th, 12th, 13th & 26th - the votes tally isn't earth-shattering stuff but it's vital to take into context that he was a defender who wasn't necessarily playing for a top team nor in one of the heavyweight continental leagues etc. A top notch player on his day and quite simply a wall at the back.

Injuries (a short insight into his character and resilience)

McGrath tended to be plagued by injuries throughout his career but it never stopped him from delivering on the pitch when it mattered most.

Paul McGrath said:
I suffered from knee problems and underwent 10 operations in total, seven at Manchester United, another two at Villa and then one during my time at Sheffield United.

My right knee is now bone on bone, the left one was done back in 1988 after the European Championships and it took ages to come back from because I kept coming back too soon.

Paul McGrath said:
I had plenty of memorable games in my time at Villa but the 1994 Coca Cola Cup Final when we beat Manchester United at Wembley was special.
What a lot of people don’t know is that I was just five minutes away from not playing. I had chronic neck pain and didn’t sleep at all the night before. All I could think about was that I was going to miss the game. I had about four last-minute injections in my neck before the match started.

The bell had gone and the lads were in the tunnel but I was still wondering whether I’d even play. Shaun Teale was magnificent on the day and helped carry me through the match as I had never lost the power in my arm before and it was so painful in my back, neck and shoulders. It was so painful at the time I'd had to sleep sitting up.

Paul McGrath said:
I reckon I was maybe sixty per cent fit for USA '94 and playing largely on instinct. My left arm was useless because of a virus in my shoulder and I needed about five paces to simply find my stride. Against the likes of Giuseppe Signori and Roberto Baggio, that made for a pretty never wrecking ordeal. If you look at photographs of that game, my arm might as well be in a sling. It's hanging limp down by my side, like a snapped branch on a tree. Yet the longer the game went on, the more confident I became.

There's a chemistry that kicks in between defender and striker. One eventually knows that he is being manipulated by the other. That day, Baggio was no longer inclined to move in my direction. Signori had been substituted. It was over.

Colm Keene said:
He was, quite literally, a walking wreck

The infamous Steve Round said:
When I first started out as a youth coach (at Derby) we had a player called Paul McGrath who we'd signed and never trained a day. He didn't set one foot on the training ground. The only time he did was to walk round the pitch and watch training, so he might walk round two laps

But he played every single game and singlehandedly, near enough, kept us in the league that year. He was absolutely magnificent.

So that bucked the trend of what we were trying to do in terms of creating a sports science background to our professionals.

It speaks volumes about his resilience and mentality that despite being injury prone (so much so that he stopped training and only did light sessions on the bike after a few months at Villa and barely nothing at Derby) he still managed to deliver top class performances well into his thirties.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Quotes on McGrath

Sir Alex Ferguson said:
Paul had this really nonchalant way of defending. He could just sally through a game. A ball would come into the box and he'd just back-heel it to safety... I dithered over whether I should play him or not, because Rush and Dalglish were a handful. I just wasn't sure that he was ready for them. I played him in the end and he was magnificent. Honestly, he just walked through the game. Never gave Rush a kick. And of course, Ian Rush never would score against United while McGrath was playing. We actually gave Liverpool a bit of a doing that day, came back from 1-3 down to draw 3-3. I know it doesn't sound great defensively, but McGrath was superb. It told you a lot about him
Sir Alex Ferguson said:
He was an exceptionally skilful and stylish defender, with marvellous innate athleticism, a man whose abilities stood comparison with any central defender in the game.
Sir Alex Ferguson said:
It was incredible that he could play to the level he played at, given what was going on in his life. He had an athleticism that was musical, if you know what I mean. There was a rhythm about Paul running, this change of pace he had. You'd see him do it and be thinking, "Jeeez, can he run..."

Franco Baresi in 1994 said:
...the best defender in the world
Roy Keane on his boyhood hero said:
Big Paul McGrath showed all the qualities demanded of us for half an hour in Giants Stadium that day. For him the word big is appropriate. Known for his poise, his ability on the ball, his unique gift for reading the game, Paul displayed these qualities on this day. One other huge asset was his courage. When the Italians did get sight of the goal, Paul presented a final, insurmountable obstacle. Paul inspired us as much as in the end he demoralised Roberto Baggio and the other Italian players.
Jack Charlton Ireland's Manager & Moore's centre-back partner said:
Paul McGrath is one of the all-time greats. Someone to compare with Bobby Moore. He's one of the best players I ever had.
Bryan Robson said:
This was really difficult because when I go back to when I first played at Man United I played with Gordon McQueen, Kevin Moran, Steve Bruce, Gary Pallister... But I called McGrath the Rolls-Royce, he was quick, strong, fantastic on the ball and had a better touch than anybody in our squad at that time. He was so skilful.

There were many who felt Paul's career would end early. The fact that he played at the top level for so long, without the benefit of normal training was a tribute to his enormous natural talent

Ron Atkinson said:
How good was Macca in 1993? Immense. Sometimes you'd be watching him and thinking, "Where's he going now, where's... oh, there's the ball, stuck to his foot!". He was a defender who always attracted the ball. Sometimes you'd think, "Uh oh, he's gone too far past the near post," but the ball would just come to him. He seemed like a magnet to the ball. And he had such immense power
Ron Atkinson said:
This is not possible. What McGrath is doing is just not possible with the amount of preparation that he's had.
Poor Ian Rush said:
People talk about the lack of goals I scored against Man United and the reason for that was Paul McGrath, he was too good.
Martin Keown said:
Looking back, I would have loved to have played with Macca here. 100%. I would have learned so much - I was only 22 at the time.

Who wouldn't want to have played with Paul McGrath? That was a regret.
Philip Quinn of Daily Telegraph said:
Like Bobby Moore, Paul McGrath played football as though he was wearing a silk smoking jacket with a crystal glass in his hand.
Villa teammate Alan Wright said:
I never saw him get beaten for pace - and I never saw him kick a ball with his left foot! To not train in the week and then perform like he did? That was just phenomenal. He just rarely put a foot wrong. For all his issues, what a player. He was the standout. That was just natural talent in my opinion.

He was a gentleman too, off the pitch. But on it, yes he was brilliant. He was exceptional. I have no idea how he fitted in so well on matchdays. We worked on shape all week and then he came in on matchdays and just did the business. He just knew what to do. Paul knew exactly where to be and what to do. He was like a magnet in our area - he cleared everything. And, remember, his knees were shot.

Obviously as a defender myself, I remember most vividly the lads at the back from that 1996 era. Paul was the lynchpin.

Pertinent Points for discussion

SAF after a 37 year old McGrath was named the man-of-the-match for Derby County playing against Manchester United said:
You have to wonder what a player Paul McGrath should have been.
  • Just how good could he have been? To some extent his off-field issues - alcoholism and depression - and his injuries (a mind-boggling 10 operations on his knees) meant he probably could have been even better than he was, which is ridiculous given his astounding career. He's delivered several top notch big-game performances frequently going up against some of the top players of his era - Gullit, van Basten, Baggio, Baresi, Platini and not just holding his own but rather being one of the stand-out players on the pitch, whilst frequently and somehow averaging 40+ appearances a season for the vast majority of his career. He boasts an international career which has many Irish fans heralding him as the greatest Irish player of all time - no small feat given the competition which features Roy Keane, Liam Brady and Johnny Giles. He's regarded by United fans to be one of our greatest defenders in our history and the Villans consider him to be their greatest player. So do we over-state the impact of his off-field issues on his career or the 'level' achieved by him? I'm not underplaying the severity of his off-field issues btw, and depression/alcoholism is no laughing matter.

• Just how highly do you rate him and consider his overall standing in the game - a relative concept not dissimilar to the 'world class' debate but feel free to provide your opinions on him and his standing in the game if any.

• Would you consider him to be an United legend? If so where would he stand in relation to the likes of Ferdinand, Vidic, Stam etc?

• Please feel free to express your thoughts on McGrath, share anecdotes or any first hand experiences, and of course your thoughts on the footage of him.

Last edited:

IrishRick

I was at Robbie Keanes last game for Ireland against Oman. Tame friendly with very little atmosphere. Big Pauls face came on the screen and a roar went around the ground. He didn't know what for spotted himself on the screen and looked embarrassed. I think that sums him up as a person. Loved by a nation. I can't speak if he is a United legend as that was before my time but he is possibly the best player Ireland has produced, at worst second, and if not for his issues could be talked about in the brackets of best ever. His autobiography is astounding.

Thanks for posting it was a great read.

WhoDaGOAT

Literally The GOAT.

His book is a fantastic read even for the casual fan.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
One of the players who was playing for United when I first started to follow football.
Think I read somewhere he was considering best in Europe. It was bewildering to my child mind when we flogged him to Villa.

WhoDaGOAT

Never a truer word said. Its an amazing read.
Incredibly sad.

It's amazing what guys like him and Ledley King could produce on any given day. But even more so with Paul due to his demons on top of the mounting injuries.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Cheers.

Will share some interesting anecdotes on him

Mary McAleese: My daughter triggered the Paul McGrath chant at Mandela's visit

The origin of the famous ‘ooh aah’ salute to former Ireland soccer captain Paul McGrath being chanted for Nelson Mandela in Dublin in 1990 has been revealed by former president Mary McAleese.

It began with her youngest daughter, Sarah, who was then five years old.

The team’s triumphant return from Italia ’90 coincided with Mandela’s presence in Dublin, and while the McAleese children wanted to greet the team, their mother persuaded them instead to see Mandela, who was there to receive the Freedom of the City.

“It happened on the same day that the team came back from Italy,” Mrs McAleese recalled yesterday.

“My three small children were anxious to see the Ireland team come home but I persuaded them that the most historic thing they could do that day was to go and see Nelson Mandela.”

As Mrs McAleese explained to Sean O’Rourke on RTÉ radio, the children were not too happy with the decision, but she got her way. “When he came out onto the Mansion House podium Sarah started chanting: ‘Ooh, aah, Paul McGrath...’”

The crowd immediately began to take up the call — but adding a rider to the original — and, within seconds the whole area resounded with a chant of “Ooh aah, Paul McGrath’s Da”.

When as president years later she greeted Mandela in the formal surroundings of Áras an Uachtaráin, she told him the story.

“I told him that I took full responsibility and he laughed heartily.”
:lol::lol::lol:

'Don't be going out and don't be drinking too much' :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Tagging some of the posters who've probably watched him live and might be able to share more @Pogue Mahone @Chesterlestreet @Sultan @Pat_Mustard

Also please do watch the videos above (esp the one against Italy in 1994, incredible display) if you haven't done so already and do leave your thoughts
Great thread. My favourite player of all time. A real gent of a man too, despite his terrible battle with the booze.

Another caftard who's bound to have an opinion is @The Black Pearl (the clue is in the username!)

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
One of his best ever performances was in 1987 for the Football League v Rest of the World.

Against that opposition he cruised through the game and everyone was 'wowed'.

After Ferdinand and Stam he would certainly be in the mix for best ever CH I've seen at United...

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
One of his best ever performances was in 1987 for the Football League v Rest of the World.

Will be sure to check it out. Robson played in that match too didn't he?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
If you're looking for his best ever individual performance I'd nominate his game against Italy in 1994 WC. Outrageously good display. Not sure I've seen a better one from Rio or Vidic.
Yeah, he made the compilation of it - it's in the OP. Outstanding performance.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
If you're looking for his best ever individual performance I'd nominate his game against Italy in 1994 WC. Outrageously good display. Not sure I've seen a better one from Rio or Vidic.
Aye, incredible defensive display. Completely repelled anything and everything that was thrown at him :lol:

Love this quote in particular

McGrath said:

Mal donaghy

What a player this guy was, he was a rolls Royce amongst every other defender, and he was probably half pissed at the time aswell!!! Could you imagine what a kid like McGrath would fetch on a transfer today?? Especially a fit, properly living the life of an athlete!!
Jesus the mind boggles!!!

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Tough act to follow this @Joga Bonito

Upside for us all is... you are doing that too :lol:

Tremendous player. I mostly saw him for Ireland and Villa but was mesmerised when I researched him for the 50s draft.

caid

I'd really struggle to think of a bad game he had.
Only defender ive seen in my lifetime that was as good as him would be Maldini maybe (i think McGrath was better tbh)
Just a spectacularly good player.

(i nearly wound up a Villa supporter because of him incidentally, thank feck i dodged that bullet)

Inter Yer Nan

After Ferdinand and Stam he would certainly be in the mix for best ever CH I've seen at United...
A pairing of Rio and McGrath with Scholes in midfield we'd never lose the ball.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Posted earlier in another thread:

I've said this before, I'm sure, but McGrath was one of those players you really want to see live: The stuff that never gets caught by the camera when you watch a match on TV – the way he'd snuff out danger before you, as a fan watching, realize there is any danger there.

He was one of those players you'd just keep your eyes on – even when he was miles from the ball, because he just oozed football, he read the game like an open book – a trait which isn't always obvious to the observer when you just see a defender enter the picture as the camera follows the action (the ball, that is).

Magnificent player. I've said this before too, but I can't put a single United defender, not even Rio, above him in terms of ability.

buchansleftleg

must have something in my eye...watching those clips of Paul in his prime!

For me the greatest defender i ever saw play for United. I know others may have won more, but as a United Centre back in that era he was not surrounded by talented left back / right back and had to cover so much more danger than others that came along later.

Must get his book!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Dad always referred to Paul Mcgrath as The Rolls Royce of professional footballers. insisting that no center half today is fit to tie his shoelaces, no matter how many names I throw at him.

Its my dads birthday in a couple of weeks, and I cant think of a better present than Paul Mcgrath's book. Thanks for the recommendation.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
One of my favorite players of all time. For me he's a legend of the game.

He lives not too far from me now, and I've run into him a few times, some sober and some not, either way he's a class act and a gentleman, albeit troubled.

But what a fecking player!

Ooh-ahh