Cleverley vs Fellaini

Cleverley/Fellaini?

• Total voters

Liam147

On Probation
Just an opinion poll as much as anything else. You can use you're own criteria, I won't be setting anything for it. Who will be better? Who is currently better? Who is/will be more important to the team? Whatever you fancy.

So far we can all agree that Marouane Fellaini has failed to set the world alight. You could make the same statement with Cleverley, but Cleverley hasn't really let us down yet. The odd poor game from him, but more often than not he'll have a decent game. You're guaranteed the basics with him, and that's simply passing and moving. He creates space and makes himself available.

The City game was a great example of that. Our passing was horrendously transparent and straightforward. Fellaini and Carrick were both very unadventurous with their passing (hence Fellaini's ~92% completion rate). We brought Cleverley on, and it gave City something to think about, someone to mark.

Once again we've seen a poor game from Fellaini, whilst Cleverley has done his usual job.

I said before we signed him that he was technically limited (which he's shown whilst with us) and he can't even make up for that with his work rate.

So yeah, random Cleverley/Fellaini comparison/discussion thread.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Fellaini is better, Cleverley suits us better.

Revan

Assumptionman
Fellaini is the better player.

Cleverley's potential is probably higher than Fellaini's.

Cleverley is much more (and will ever be) suited to our game.

Cleverley will be more succesful for us than Fellaini.

Cleverley will be a decent squad player (I don't think that he will be anything more) for us while Fellaini will leave in 18-24 months.

Mad Winger

Before the season started, I was convinced that whoever signed to play in CM would be a regular starter. Whether it was Fabregas, Strootman, Herrera or Fellaini, I always thought that the player would walk straight into the lineup, next to Carrick. But when the season started and I saw Cleverley's performances, my opinion changed. I'm not saying that Cleverley is a sure starter, but he's probably the best option next to Carrick right now.

In theory though, Fellaini is what we need. He's strong, attacking-minded, good in the air, and constantly bothering the opponent. I just think he needs more time to settle. After all, Cleverley has been with us longer, so he knows his part.

Right now I'm not gonna pick either of them, because it's too early to say. Cleverley has more potential as a player, but Fellaini has the higher top level as of this moment. He just needs to adjust to us, that's all. We've been defensively solid all season except for the last 2 games in the league. We've also kept possession really well. Our problem as of this moment, is to create chances. Our wingers and attackers have been the main issue so far, so I'm gonna keep focusing on that.

Mister Ed

Fellaini is a beter player than Cleverley, i'am quite sure of that. Don't think any club would ever even consider buying Cleverley for £27.5 Million, he is and never will be anything more than a squad player i think. Both players are very different types with different strenghts and weaknesses. But when in their best form i think Fellaini has more strenghts than Cleverley. Perhaps Cleverley suits our style of playing beter, that might be true, although he has alot more time to get adjusted to it, coming through our own youth ranks, while Fellaini is still adjusting.

Clearly Fellaini ain't in his best form yet, clearley he hasn't settled in yet, clearly most of the fans on here won't give him any time to do so either.

Liam147

On Probation
Got to say this has been much more one-sided than I expected. I've said before that it's a funny situation. We paid £27.5m for a player whose best position is on the bench as he can't play in a two alongside Carrick. Yet we'd be weaker had we not signed him. I thought it was obvious that Cleverley was the better fit for our midfield from the start. Seems everyone else does too.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Totally different players, playing two totally different roles. Bizarre comparison really. Both have their place in our squad.

Cina

This is just completely knee-jerk off tonight's game.

Liam147

On Probation
Totally different players, playing two totally different roles. Bizarre comparison really. Both have their place in our squad.
Right, except they're both midfielders, one of whom will typically play alongside Michael Carrick.
This is just completely knee-jerk off tonight's game.
Is this serious? I can't tell. I've been comparing the two since before Fellaini even joined. You'll see my posts from months ago. I was almost jubilant when I heard Arsenal were supposed to be getting him.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
A fully fit, in-form Cleverley is actually a very good player. Trouble is he's usually not fit and out of form for large spells throughout a season which makes him slightly unreliable for a top club and could eventually prevent him from leaping up a level.

LR7

Fellaini is a beter player than Cleverley, i'am quite sure of that. Don't think any club would ever even consider buying Cleverley for £27.5 Million, he is and never will be anything more than a squad player i think. Both players are very different types with different strenghts and weaknesses. But when in their best form i think Fellaini has more strenghts than Cleverley. Perhaps Cleverley suits our style of playing beter, that might be true, although he has alot more time to get adjusted to it, coming through our own youth ranks, while Fellaini is still adjusting.

Clearly Fellaini ain't in his best form yet, clearley he hasn't settled in yet, clearly most of the fans on here won't give him any time to do so either.
No club should have ever considered buying Fellaini for that either though.
I remember after our first bid saying in his transfer forum thread that I thought £16m for him was overpriced.

I rate Cleverley much higher than Fellaini though. Even Phil Jones is a better midfielder than Fellaini.

Ekeke

Fellaini's performances have been woeful. Short of scoring an own goal vs. Liverpool he's done everything you'd dread a new, expensive signing would do.

Having said that, if he doesn't become the more influencial midfielder than Cleverley this season, then he wasn't worth £15 million let alone more. He was a better midfielder playing for Everton this season than Cleverley's ever been. But he needs to get his ass in gear

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands

Aye spot on here.

Fellaini is the better footballer, but Cleverley undoubtedly suits our team more at the moment, though this is hardly surprising. The lad has just joined and isn't yet playing close to his best - when he does the tone of this thread and others like it should quickly change.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Just an opinion poll as much as anything else. You can use you're own criteria, I won't be setting anything for it. Who will be better? Who is currently better? Who is/will be more important to the team? Whatever you fancy.
I based my vote entirely on who has the better hair

Phil

Only basing on what I've seen in a United shirt. So far, Claverley.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Right, except they're both midfielders, one of whom will typically play alongside Michael Carrick.
One is short, tries to play a combat role when playing out of position deeper (not all that well usually). Looks neat and tidy playing further forward and linking up play.
One is tall, can tackle/close/combat quite well, looks a bit slow sometimes, can do everything 7/10 or higher on a good day and can play in all three positions in midfield.

Like I said, weird comparison. Cleverley is playing completely out of his element and comfort zone when he's playing in a deep midfield role. It's obvious that he's not suited to playing his natural game next to a static midfielder such as Carrick.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Cleverley doesn't have enough to be playing further forward, same as Anderson
feck it then, let's not even give them a chance to play futher forward. Just let Phil Neville and the other blokes know though. Otherwise they might make the colossal mistake of trying to play those two in roles that play to their strengths.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Cleverley doesn't have enough to be playing further forward, same as Anderson
You have seen that goal Cleverley began the build up for and finished off against Sunderland or the similar goal against Newcastle?. The whole doesnt have enough to be playing further forward line is such complete and utter bollocks.

Ekeke

You have seen that goal Cleverley began the build up for and finished off against Sunderland or the similar goal against Newcastle?. The whole doesnt have enough to be playing further forward line is such complete and utter bollocks.
Anderson has scored a nice goal now and again too. It doesnt mean he has enough to his game to play behind the striker at United

Ekeke

FFS
What exactly is cutting edge?. What playing qualities does an attacking CM need?
How can you not even know that? Kagawa cant get a game there after excelling in the position for Dortmund. Tom Cleverley doesn't have the skillset to play there for United

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
How can you not even know that? Kagawa cant get a game there after excelling in the position for Dortmund. Tom Cleverley doesn't have the skillset to play there for United
In Central Midfield? Not only are you spouting bollocks, it's not even on the same wavelength.

Revan

Assumptionman

Agree that no club would even consider signing Cleverley for that amount, but on the other side no other manager except Moyes would had even thought in his worst moments of insanity to sign Fellaini for that amount. After all, he had a lower clause and no-one thought to activate it. Using his price tag to argue thay he's a great player is the same as using Carroll's, Downing's or Young's price to argue that they are good players.

Agree that fans won't give him time, because we have been seeing him playing for 5 years in EPL and it was easy to see that he was playing at his level. Being now a United player doesn't make him a better player. Or being a Belgian.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Different players. Cleverley had a good game today, a three man midfield suits him, it's in a two that he looks AWOL much of the time.

In a two Fellaini, in a three Cleverley.

Treble

If we take Carrick's place in the team for granted, then Cleverley is a more useful centre mid than Fellaini for he is much more mobile and dynamic. Carrick and Fellaini will be overrun in every big game they start together.

fatboy

Cleverley has had more time to adjust his game to suit Carrick's. Not fair to compare them at this time, remember that Fellaini didn't even have a pre-season with us. He is still learning about his teammates. Given time he'll get better, and to be fair, so will Cleverley, but I suspect Fellaini is more likely to establish himself as a starter in the future.

Ash_G

Depends on the game, in an easier game than clev could play as we shouldn't need two more defensive players. In tougher games you'd hope fellaini will up his defensive work and with carrick can form a good base. I was never keen on fellaini but I expected him to play better than he has so far. It's not like he has come without having a preseason, he had a good one do should be sharp.