Climate Change | UN Report: Code Red for humanity

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What a disgusting ego project that Austrian stadium is.

How much energy was spent to create this pointless narcissistic display of opulence? I wonder what the carbon footprint for that project was. Definitely wasn't carbon neutral.

Then we have the ridiculous idea of temporarily transplanting 300 six tonne trees to a urban stadium not meant to house a forest. What's the maintenance cost of that? As someone who has actually transplanted a small tree, its an extremely difficult task and many times the trees don't survive the shock of the replant. To treat what appears to be old growth trees in this commercialized, cartoon manner is offensive, arrogant and counter productive.

It also has a huge opportunity cost, that time, money and carbon footprint would have been much better spent on long term educational projects that might actually create some long term education.

Littmann clearly isn't a lover of trees or he wouldn't have embarked on such a selfish project.

He should have just read Richard Powers' new novel The Overstory, a far more powerful and respectable project to raise awareness of climate change.

Yeah. I’m sure you’ll agree it’s because these people have no comprehension of honour in their culture or society.

Id imagine that’s where this backward way of thinking would come from. Unlike parts of Russia, say the caucuses, which are full of nature and trees.

agree @Vato?

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Yeah. I’m sure you’ll agree it’s because these people have no comprehension of honour in their culture or society.

Id imagine that’s where this backward way of thinking would come from. Unlike parts of Russia, say the caucuses, which are full of nature and trees.

agree @Vato?
So what's the carbon footprint of this ego project you find "powerful"? What was the total cost in time, money and energy to construct this?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
So what's the carbon footprint of this ego project you find "powerful"? What was the total cost in time, money and energy to construct this?
No. I agree with your point.

I’m questioning the culture who would crate such waste. Cultures which were built for centuries without any regard of carbon footprint until they become modern and now suddenly and conveniently gain a conscience. One without honour, I’m sure you agree?

Unlike more natural cultures like the ones found in the caucus.

@MaxiPaxi

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
What a disgusting ego project that Austrian stadium is.

How much energy was spent to create this pointless narcissistic display of opulence? I wonder what the carbon footprint for that project was. Definitely wasn't carbon neutral.

Then we have the ridiculous idea of temporarily transplanting 300 six tonne trees to a urban stadium not meant to house a forest. What's the maintenance cost of that? As someone who has actually transplanted a small tree, its an extremely difficult task and many times the trees don't survive the shock of the replant. To treat what appears to be old growth trees in this commercialized, cartoon manner is offensive, arrogant and counter productive.

It also has a huge opportunity cost, that time, money and carbon footprint would have been much better spent on long term educational projects that might actually create some long term education.

Littmann clearly isn't a lover of trees or he wouldn't have embarked on such a selfish project.

He should have just read Richard Powers' new novel The Overstory, a far more powerful and respectable project to raise awareness of climate change.

Let's be honest here though, football obviously dwarfs the CO2 footprint of this many times over.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United

agree @Vato?
What the feck is this nonsense? The Caucasus barely has a third of the tree coverage of Austria. Georgia has a lot of trees but Armenia and Azerbaijan don't and neither do the bits under Russian control. Not sure why you're using Russia as an example of environmental puritanism either. Not only does it retain twice the per capita carbon footprint of Austria but it also has a particularly long and sordid history of unchecked environmental exploitation - look up the Aral Sea for the most egregious example.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Let's be honest here though, football obviously dwarfs the CO2 footprint of this many times over.
True. Though I feel its a separate issue entirely As long as the majority of fans around the world have tribalism and nationalism as top motivators, we won't see FIFA or the owners like Glazers, Kroenke, Roman, Qatar, etc change.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Mishael Martin
8 minutes ago
Solve If humans are to oil tankers as bugs are to cars. How many vegans will be power washed off the boat windshield?

Slowbro
12 minutes ago
Weird flex but ok

Kevin Davis
1 minute ago
Make the world a better place and just let go.

Howard Delovitch
22 minutes ago
Dang Danglers......!!

Alamo Defender
9 minutes ago
Hope they get Texas justice by the neck hanging there....don't need a Old Tall Oak Tree for Justice... Time for Whiskey for the Men and Beer for those Horses ….. Go Rangers …..

GN GD
13 minutes ago
Texas and everything you never have known just come from Texas. Surprise.

Chicago Ron
1 minute ago
I wish I was there with my rifle what a great opportunity to shoot targets

eskimo commotion
9 minutes ago
That's not hanging. Wrap that rope around the neck! That's hanging! That is what we want to see! Really dedicate your life to make a point if you mean it, do it!

John Lalawethika
7 minutes ago
Should of had the rope around their necks.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Exporting all that coal, we're fecked.
I could have some data wrong here as I’m quoting an article from the back of my brain.... But....

I think the numbers about 10 years ago were that the Oil companies/states had 5 times more fossil fuels on their books (ie already being traded in financial markets) than the planet could afford to burn.

We’ve always been fcuked.

Edit : easier to search than simply quote numbers out of my bottom. Link below.

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/www....obal-warmings-terrifying-new-math-188550/amp/

redshaw

I think we’re already past the point of no return. We’ve really managed to feck it right up. After a placcy bag was found in the deepest part of the Mariana Trench there is now no part of the earth we haven’t polluted. The only way is to drastically cut the population meaning a drastic cut in the demand for resources but that’s never going to happen- if anything that’s just going to get worse. It’s completely and utterly depressing. Makes you wonder what the point in washing a feckin yoghurt pot out for recycling when you see rivers just flowing thousands of tonnes of rubbish into the sea.
Probably are past the point of no return.

Humans will learn the hardway but we can still help mitigate the impact. The blow will come and teach us a lesson but it doesn't have to be too devastating and if we don't act it might not even be repairable.

If we don't change our lives fundamentally the weather will do it for us, our actions could mean it's just thousands to tens of millions instead of hundreds of millions dead or worse.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Probably are past the point of no return.

Humans will learn the hardway but we can still help mitigate the impact. The blow will come and teach us a lesson but it doesn't have to be too devastating and if we don't act it might not even be repairable.

If we don't change our lives fundamentally the weather will do it for us, our actions could mean it's just thousands to tens of millions instead of hundreds of millions dead or worse.
You are right. We humans seem to think that we are somehow separate from nature. And that this planet evolved over 4.5 billion years just for us to do with it what we please.
On the contrary. We and everything on this planet are inextricably bound by nature and the laws of nature.
Once we believe that we are separate from nature, there is only going to be one outcome.
Nature will always win.
We have raped and damaged this fragile planet long enough.
We are faced with two options.
Change the causes of man made climate change and the effect will be manageable.
Continue as we are and have been doing and the outcome will get progressively and significantly unmanageable.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
We humans seem to think that we are somehow separate from nature. And that this planet evolved over 4.5 billion years just for us to do with it what we please.
‘Mass extinction due to global climate change from changing atmospheric conditions? Pffft, like that’s ever happened before...’

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
‘Mass extinction due to global climate change from changing atmospheric conditions? Pffft, like that’s ever happened before...’
Well. At least you understand the importance of this problem.
Far far too many seem perfectly happy to bury their collective heads in the increasing desert Sands.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
You are right. We humans seem to think that we are somehow separate from nature. And that this planet evolved over 4.5 billion years just for us to do with it what we please.
On the contrary. We and everything on this planet are inextricably bound by nature and the laws of nature.
Once we believe that we are separate from nature, there is only going to be one outcome.
Nature will always win.
We have raped and damaged this fragile planet long enough.
We are faced with two options.
Change the causes of man made climate change and the effect will be manageable.
Continue as we are and have been doing and the outcome will get progressively and significantly unmanageable.
I agree with all of this except the fragile planet comment. Our planet is not fragile. It is a raging, violent motherfecker that is going to toss us aside and erase all traces of us like the unimportant footnote of history we are.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Good and interesting article if you've got 15 minutes or so to spare:

Cliffs: In the 80's via executive order Reagan instituted the neoliberal concept of quantifying the benefits of any given regulation in dollar terms. This was so, the theory goes, it could be objectively weighed against the costs in order to determine a regulation's overall usefulness to society. Obviously the dollar benefit of regulations are often difficult to work out with any precision, in which case they are considered worthless and left of the balance sheet altogether. As you can imagine this often stymies the ability of a given agency to effectively regulate.

Anyway one agency, the EPA, has continuously managed to demonstrate that its regulations turn a social profit - leading to much wailing and gnashing of teeth from the fossil fuel industry and its associates. Most of this is down to the fact that it has very good and precise data regarding the pervasiveness and deleterious effects of various particulate matter in the atmosphere and ecosystem. In a great surprise to no-one at all the current manifestation of the GOP is now seeking to undermine and pervert the concept of the very cost/benefit analysis system it instituted and claims to revere. This is obviously in order to remove socially 'profitable' but industrially costly regulations and prevent the creation of new ones.

In the view of the article's author it looks like they might succeed.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I agree with all of this except the fragile planet comment. Our planet is not fragile. It is a raging, violent motherfecker that is going to toss us aside and erase all traces of us like the unimportant footnote of history we are.
Understand your point.
When I said fragile, I was referring to the ecosystem.
For example. The atmosphere is only a few kilometres high.
And yet, there are some seven billion humans breathing the air and burning the air and polluting the air and destroying the very forests, plant life and seas that contribute to its balance.
To that we must consider the biodiversity that has as much right to exist here as do we.
One important thing. The percentage of water that is fresh and drinkable is a tiny fraction of the 70% of the water on this planet. And yet we use it like there is no tomorrow.
It is more fragile than you think.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Understand your point.
When I said fragile, I was referring to the ecosystem.
For example. The atmosphere is only a few kilometres high.
And yet, there are some seven billion humans breathing the air and burning the air and polluting the air and destroying the very forests, plant life and seas that contribute to its balance.
To that we must consider the biodiversity that has as much right to exist here as do we.
One important thing. The percentage of water that is fresh and drinkable is a tiny fraction of the 70% of the water on this planet. And yet we use it like there is no tomorrow.
It is more fragile than you think.
I still don't agree with th fragility angle. You're correct on the balance, though. The ecosystems are finely balanced and it does not take much to throw them out of whack. Then unexpected things being happening. Whatever goes down, in the end, the planet wins. Its existence will continue until it is absorbed by our Sun in its red dwarf stage or by a massive object crashing into us. Ours may not.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I still don't agree with th fragility angle. You're correct on the balance, though. The ecosystems are finely balanced and it does not take much to throw them out of whack. Then unexpected things being happening. Whatever goes down, in the end, the planet wins. Its existence will continue until it is absorbed by our Sun in its red dwarf stage or by a massive object crashing into us. Ours may not.
Understood. The main thing is that both you and me are concerned about the future. Some days I get a bit depressed about the lack of progress and actual change. And other days I am more hopeful that human ingenuity can actually make the difference.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Greta is coming to Bristol in the next fortnight or so. I’ll be down there showing my support. She’s an incredible young lady.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Greta is coming to Bristol in the next fortnight or so. I’ll be down there showing my support. She’s an incredible young lady.
Agreed and I will certainly be there to support her and what she stands for.
The world needs someone to take the lead and bring to the attention of the masses the awful damage humanity is doing to our planet.
I am sure that she will get a proper Bristol welcome.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Interesting quote from Mike Collins, Apollo 11:
'Oddly enough the overriding sensation I got from looking back at the Earth was, my God, that little thing is so small and so blue and so fragile just sitting out there in the black of space'.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Interesting quote from Mike Collins, Apollo 11:
'Oddly enough the overriding sensation I got from looking back at the Earth was, my God, that little thing is so small and so blue and so fragile just sitting out there in the black of space'.
If you haven't already I recommend you have a gander at Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot monologue:

redshaw

The planet is certainly fragile for us. Even a slight different air mixture could lead to non stop fires. We take for granted how cushdy we have it, a very temperate climate.

Makes me sad how wondrous the world is with all its different lifeforms and food to eat yet we're killing the planet and taking away animals homes.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
US republicans telling California it can’t have lower emission standards than at federal level.
Ffs, if you ever needed proof that Republicans hate the environment.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The planet is certainly fragile for us. Even a slight different air mixture could lead to non stop fires. We take for granted how cushdy we have it, a very temperate climate.

Makes me sad how wondrous the world is with all its different lifeforms and food to eat yet we're killing the planet and taking away animals homes.
Very well said.

Smores

So whose going on general strike today?

I liked the Guardians attempt, they're going on strike 12 to 12:30 ...i think that's called lunch

Smores

This guy on sky news this morning really boiled my piss. Looking into him he seems to be well liked by the Brexit crowd go figure

stepic

unlike religion, Brendan O’Neill, climate change is backed by fecking science. idiot.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Fantastic to see that the youth of the world are taking the lead in Climate Change protests.
The world leaders should be feel embarrassed at their collective lack of coordinated action.
No doubt President Trump will ignore this global movement but his people are the ones who will both understand and pay the price for his closed mind.
Well done to each and every one of them.

nickm

This guy on sky news this morning really boiled my piss. Looking into him he seems to be well liked by the Brexit crowd go figure
He is a troll. That Sky have someone like him on, in this day and age, is half the problem. I’ll know we are serious about climate change when organisations start putting serious people on.

nickm

We think we are killing the planet. This planet thinks in eons. We are actually killing ourselves.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

he's a massive idiot. spiked i a website run by ex-trotskyites "bothered about political correctness" who now, inexplicably reflect the full conservative movement - climate change denial, culture wars, brexit, etc

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Thrilled with how this has gone so far today. Brighton was chaos. Small people, armed with signs they'd painted, all over the place.

Fosu-Mens

Religious cults don't base their doctrine on scientific consensus or observable phenomena.
I think that soon the people not believing in the catastrophic dangers that further climate change will cause will be the ones to be called a ****. As of now they are not enough of a minority to be called a ****, but everything else about them fits with the "****" criterias.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I think that soon the people not believing in the catastrophic dangers that further climate change will cause will be the ones to be called a ****. As of now they are not enough of a minority to be called a ****, but everything else about them fits with the "****" criterias.
I am not sure that **** is the right word to describe them.
But what I am totally sure of is that they are and will be in an increasing minority. And if they continue to pretend that climate change and the science behind it are wrong, then they will end up becoming a laughing stock. Just like the arch denyer Donald J (for Joke) Trump.