Climate Change | UN Report: Code Red for humanity

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Question - as someone who's always worried about climate change but never really studied it in detail (3 years left of an engineering degree in college), how fecked are we in the near and far future? How much leeway have we?
We're firmly within damage limitation territory at this point.

United58

Firstly well done for choosing to study Engineering. It may not be the most popular or most financially rewarding career but Engineering is actually something that the UK is very good at.
I've worked minimum wage for years to be able to afford rent/car/college so anything above that is financially rewarding :D I love maths so Mechanical Engineering is great for me (so far, anyway).

I actually find that engineering seems a relatively popular choice now - loads of jobs there etc. (hope that's the case in 3 years too).

I'm pretty existential and nihilistic so I like to say feckit, we're all going to die anyway so if society is going to burn the world to the ground we might as well enjoy the time we have left, and do what we can ourselves (as insignificant as our input is vs massive corporations) to reverse it.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I've worked minimum wage for years to be able to afford rent/car/college so anything above that is financially rewarding :D I love maths so Mechanical Engineering is great for me (so far, anyway).

I actually find that engineering seems a relatively popular choice now - loads of jobs there etc. (hope that's the case in 3 years too).

I'm pretty existential and nihilistic so I like to say feckit, we're all going to die anyway so if society is going to burn the world to the ground we might as well enjoy the time we have left, and do what we can ourselves (as insignificant as our input is vs massive corporations) to reverse it.
In my opinion, the human attitude seems to need some form of major shock before we become motivated to actually do something.
As terrible as the Brazilian rain forest fires are, maybe, just maybe this will become that event that will initiate the required action.
I am an optimist by the way.

K13

Unfortunately, is too late for this drastic changes as it will not come for the will of the people to change nor the governments will implement anything against the big coporations
I think that has been the biggest hurdle. How can a government legislate and then remain in power.

We generate and buy so much that we do not need. I buy every thing to last because I don't like waste and only replace things when absolutely no other option. Some people are not quite so careful - a house near by was renovated, sold for 2 million and the new owner stripped everything.

I just think we can not keep taking from the planet crust at this rate. We can see the effects of climate change but there may be many things going on that we have absolutely no experience of.

United58

In my opinion, the human attitude seems to need some form of major shock before we become motivated to actually do something.
As terrible as the Brazilian rain forest fires are, maybe, just maybe this will become that event that will initiate the required action.
I am an optimist by the way.
I don't think we'll see any serious change until things start to badly affect the first world (governments won't care about third world countries).

I'm a pessimist.

United58

A realist I'd say.
Yeah I think the pessimistic outlook is the realistic outlook in terms of climate change, I'm just a naturally pessimistic person haha.

I've no interest in politics but I think this American election will be huge for climate change in the future, given Trump's complete denial and open mocking of it, and America's fuel consumption in general (as well as their relationship with China).

Maagge

Yeah I think the pessimistic outlook is the realistic outlook in terms of climate change, I'm just a naturally pessimistic person haha.

I've no interest in politics but I think this American election will be huge for climate change in the future, given Trump's complete denial and open mocking of it, and America's fuel consumption in general (as well as their relationship with China).
Hey @Eboue how was the last democratic president on climate change?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Nothing will be done until ice starts physically chasing Jake Gyllenhaal down a corridor. Only then will we act.

Hughes35

Climate change terrifies me but I see it as completely inevitable we will do nowhere near enough as a race.

The UK is nowhere near green enough yet we are easily 50-100 years ahead of many countries. I've been to India, Bangladesh and the Philippines this year. The pollution in these places is clear to see and heartbreaking. Plastic filling the rivers, unbelievable traffic in old vehicles etc. I tried using a bag for life and the supermarket wouldn't let me as I HAD to use their own branded single use plastic bags. We apparently have 15 years to really sort ourselves out yet I believe we will still be having this conversation for the rest of my lifetime (I'm 30).

K13

Is there any clear guidance on what we need to do to help aside from recycling and installing green energies?

caid

Is there any clear guidance on what we need to do to help aside from recycling and installing green energies?
Individually, not much. Its an industrial problem primarily. Fly less, drive less, try to eat less meat are the main things i think

Climate change terrifies me but I see it as completely inevitable we will do nowhere near enough as a race.

The UK is nowhere near green enough yet we are easily 50-100 years ahead of many countries. I've been to India, Bangladesh and the Philippines this year. The pollution in these places is clear to see and heartbreaking. Plastic filling the rivers, unbelievable traffic in old vehicles etc. I tried using a bag for life and the supermarket wouldn't let me as I HAD to use their own branded single use plastic bags. We apparently have 15 years to really sort ourselves out yet I believe we will still be having this conversation for the rest of my lifetime (I'm 30).
Its 11 really. The 2016 Climate agreement (which america have left) was to cut emissions by 50% by 2030. 3 years on from that most have cut emissions by a few percent and often with the help of paying other countries to offset it, so its kind of a nonsense reduction.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

We’ll probably be spraying the stratosphere with sulfate aerosols within your lifetime at this rate because we’ll have passed the point of no return within natural processes.

Hughes35

We’ll probably be spraying the stratosphere with sulfate aerosols within your lifetime at this rate because we’ll have passed the point of no return within natural processes.
I agree to be honest, then 50 years after I die they will find out the aerosol spray gives everybody breathing difficulties and the cycle will continue.

K13

Individually, not much. Its an industrial problem primarily. Fly less, drive less, try to eat less meat are the main things i think.
Thanks for that.

We also try to use less electricity/gas/coal/water/less online shopping so no packaging - I don't know if it helps or not but we want as a family to feel that we are contributing especially with 3 children under 21.

WensleyMU

The UK is ahead of the curve when it comes to tackling climate change but as a relatively small nation, our efforts account for little against the pollution giants like the US, China and India.

Still, we can lead by example with regards to climate change. Shutting down coal fired power plants, using our own landscape to provide alternative means of energy.

Some things are less realistic, such as banning fossil fuel cars and replacing them with electric cars (which require huge amount of energy to create, the damage caused by lithium mining etc) within a few years.

Brexit will have little impact on our targets as we already go above and beyond many other nations and blocks, including the EU.

The mention of Brexit in here also brings up another questions. What impact does world trade have on the climate?

Would a push towards a more local economy be better for the environment. Local produce over shipping in foreign meats and veg?

Would people be happy to pay a little more for local goods? Or what about placing climate tariffs on some imported goods which can actually be sourced locally?

Maagge

As a race we should stop consuming shit all the time. Every time someone earns a dollar there's a bit of CO2 emitted, that's the nature of it. Everything you buy is produced somewhere, then you have packaging and shipping as well. Buying services is less carbon intensive, generally.

But yeah, personal emission come from long distance flying and eating meat to a large degree. You can buy a whooole lot of single use plastic bags before you get close to the emissions from flying and eating.

Maagge

Would a push towards a more local economy be better for the environment. Local produce over shipping in foreign meats and veg?
Most of the emissions associated with buying various produce comes from the production. The actual shipping of it is not very bad compared to the production. Simply put, it's better to eat veg from South America than eating meat from your local farm.
Would people be happy to pay a little more for local goods? Or what about placing climate tariffs on some imported goods which can actually be sourced locally?
Personally I think all carbon emissions from a given product should be taxed. That includes the production or shipping of it. If you want to have a price advantage on your product, you have to lower your emissions.

WensleyMU

Most of the emissions associated with buying various produce comes from the production. The actual shipping of it is not very bad compared to the production. Simply put, it's better to eat veg from South America than eating meat from your local farm.

Personally I think all carbon emissions from a given product should be taxed. That includes the production or shipping of it. If you want to have a price advantage on your product, you have to lower your emissions.
Is there any credible evidence that food imported from 1000s of miles away is more environmentally sound than local produce?

Considering that in many cases, food sourced from South America, particularly food from Brazil, is farmed on land that was Amazon rainforest, before being cleared, this seems extremely unlikely.

Maagge

Is there any credible evidence that food imported from 1000s of miles away is more environmentally sound than local produce?

Considering that in many cases, food sourced from South America, particularly food from Brazil, is farmed on land that was Amazon rainforest, before being cleared, this seems extremely unlikely.
Looking just at carbon emissions it's more important what you eat and how it was produced than where it came from. If you're already vegetarian/vegan transport accounts for a comparably larger fraction of the emissions than production but on average transport is only about 11 % of the total emissions associated with a given product. Plus shipping is by far the best way of transporting stuff as well. As soon as you get on trains and trucks (and plains) you emit more CO2 per km.

These guys found that buying everything local is about as good as removing a day's worth of meat from your weekly food.

When you buy wine on the east coast of the US you're better off buying it from France than California.

Then some others found that buying lamb from NZ in the UK has a smaller carbon footprint than just buying locally produced lamb. Because the production in the UK is (or was at the time) associated with way more emissions.

caid

The UK is ahead of the curve when it comes to tackling climate change but as a relatively small nation, our efforts account for little against the pollution giants like the US, China and India.

Still, we can lead by example with regards to climate change. Shutting down coal fired power plants, using our own landscape to provide alternative means of energy.

Some things are less realistic, such as banning fossil fuel cars and replacing them with electric cars (which require huge amount of energy to create, the damage caused by lithium mining etc) within a few years.

Brexit will have little impact on our targets as we already go above and beyond many other nations and blocks, including the EU.

The mention of Brexit in here also brings up another questions. What impact does world trade have on the climate?

It'd probably make sense. Adjusting back to a seasonal diet where you just dont have access to certain things at different times of the year would probably help. Not sure its hugely significant and i can see the benefits that the range of food we have access to brings in terms of health. As far as acceptable or manageable costs that would probably be closer to the top of things I'd want to keep to some extent. I'm guessing at the cost of transport though.
Shouldn't apply to non perishables either. A TV that lasts 10-15 years from China is going to cost less than a TV from a local manufacturer that lasts 2 you'd think. Energy draw and reliability should be a bigger target in that regard.

caid

I think we should basically monetise clean air. Make it a situation where if you want to build / create something then you need to buy the air it costs, same as the water or electricity or metal. If theres no clean air on the market then ... I guess you either find a better way to create it, dont create it or plant a few trees to offset what you need.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

I seem to recall reading that in cases like Brazil the exports are from viable farming operations, and the stuff grown on sketchy land is consumed domestically. So if you’re consuming imported goods they’re likely produced in a ‘normal’ fashion, but those volumes exported are balanced out internally by farming cleared rain forest habitat.

Would take some effort finding those articles though...

United58

I think we should basically monetise clean air. Make it a situation where if you want to build / create something then you need to buy the air it costs, same as the water or electricity or metal. If theres no clean air on the market then ... I guess you either find a better way to create it, dont create it or plant a few trees to offset what you need.
That sort of 'environmental tax' should really be rolled out onto large corporations

Patrick08

Amazon is on fire for several weeks, wildlife at risk, and trump takes this disgraceful stance on it. How does American senate is totally silent on his stance even now.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Nothing will be done until ice starts physically chasing Jake Gyllenhaal down a corridor. Only then will we act.
And the Americans were all taken in by Mexico.

Reality - millions of Americans get shot trying to get over the border by 10,000 Mexican troops. Donald Trump gets frozen trying to climb over his wall

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
And the Americans were all taken in by Mexico.

Reality - millions of Americans get shot trying to get over the border by 10,000 Mexican troops. Donald Trump gets frozen trying to climb over his wall
Hey, maybe climate change isn't such a bad thing after all?

We'd probably lose Cork but the rest of the island would be grand so I say feck it, burn all the peet!

caid

Hey, maybe climate change isn't such a bad thing after all?

We'd probably lose Cork but the rest of the island would be grand so I say feck it, burn all the peet!
Pretty shameful that thats still going. I know they're phasing it out but have they finished yet?

Nucks

RT History Department
I seem to recall reading that in cases like Brazil the exports are from viable farming operations, and the stuff grown on sketchy land is consumed domestically. So if you’re consuming imported goods they’re likely produced in a ‘normal’ fashion, but those volumes exported are balanced out internally by farming cleared rain forest habitat.

Would take some effort finding those articles though...
This doesn't make sense. What I mean is "normal" methods. Plenty of agricultural land in Brazil, was at one point formerly rain-forest. Just like ALL agricultural land was formerly something else. In North America, much of "range" country was formerly forested. Prairie was grassland/lightly forested. The methods are the same. It's a matter of how recently the jungle was burned or cut back to make space for new farms. Brazil has enormous soy farms, that reside more and more on recently deforested land.

Simply put, if you're buying exported agricultural products from a country that is actively deforesting the Amazon, whether or not the produce came directly from recently deforested rain-forest, or distantly deforested rain-forest, or formerly grassland or whatever, you're fueling the entire process of expanding agriculture at the cost of deforestation.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
This doesn't make sense. What I mean is "normal" methods. Plenty of agricultural land in Brazil, was at one point formerly rain-forest. Just like ALL agricultural land was formerly something else. In North America, much of "range" country was formerly forested. Prairie was grassland/lightly forested. The methods are the same. It's a matter of how recently the jungle was burned or cut back to make space for new farms. Brazil has enormous soy farms, that reside more and more on recently deforested land.

Simply put, if you're buying exported agricultural products from a country that is actively deforesting the Amazon, whether or not the produce came directly from recently deforested rain-forest, or distantly deforested rain-forest, or formerly grassland or whatever, you're fueling the entire process of expanding agriculture at the cost of deforestation.
Well, that's sort of my whole point. Even if the exports are grown on typical arable land, they're supplemented domestically by farming on recently deforested land which also happens to be of very poor quality and as such will not sustain agriculture in any environmentally friendly manner.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I have often thought of a similar thing.
For example, when you drive a typical petrol engine car, it operates on a fuel/ratio (mixture) of 15:1. Which is 15 parts of air to 1 part of petrol. Diesels are slightly higher.
A modern jet engine is significantly more efficient with a 40:1 mixture.
Anyway. We pay for the fuel but expect the air to be free.
I doubt that we will ever be charged for the air. But it is an interesting point nonetheless.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

Is existentialism and Nihilism a euphemism of lazy, selfish and full of excuses?

Don't get me wrong. I am the same way. I am mirroring and try to be less "Nihilist"

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
We've already got carbon credits, exchanges..the whole shebang