Climate Change | UN Report: Code Red for humanity

NotThatSoph

Because thats exactly what I said isnt it. I admitted I was exaggerating, and dont actually advocate running them over, dont be such a weapon.
Alright, my bad.

They fecked over people with no power to change things, though, and shouldn't have done what they did, is that more accurate?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I take your point, but still dont think the two are comparable,
Why not though? It's obviously a different cause, but in both cases we have people feeling powerless against the politically mighty, and using the one way available to them (public disruption) to get attention for their case. The people in the picture did it in a particularly racist area of the US, the climate protesters go to a place of great emissions. The people in the picture probably angered some road users as well, who may have subsequently be less sympathetic to their case.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Why not though? It's obviously a different cause, but in both cases we have people feeling powerless against the politically mighty, and using the one way available to them (public disruption) to get attention for their case. The people in the picture did it in a particularly racist area of the US, the climate protesters go to a place of great emissions. The people in the picture probably angered some road users as well, who may have subsequently be less sympathetic to their case.
If nothing else, trying to fight climate change by causing more emissions seems like a bloody stupid way to go about it, and in the civil rights example ( I could be entirely wrong, I know next to nothing about it) Im assuming they had a far greater number of people who were already on their side, rather than trying desperately to change the minds of the majority. Also in the civil rights movement the concession of rights to PoC wouldnt impact the day to day lives of most whites, the changes required to fight climate change will have direct impacts on the lives of those they are trying to convince, goodwill is important here.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
If nothing else, trying to fight climate change by causing more emissions seems like a bloody stupid way to go about it, and in the civil rights example ( I could be entirely wrong, I know next to nothing about it) Im assuming they had a far greater number of people who were already on their side, rather than trying desperately to change the minds of the majority. Also in the civil rights movement the concession of rights to PoC wouldnt impact the day to day lives of most whites, the changes required to fight climate change will have direct impacts on the lives of those they are trying to convince, goodwill is important here.
How's causing more emissions though? Is there something I missed?

Actually, a lot of people felt (and still do) that giving other people more rights diminishes theirs - they felt actively threatened by that. Like a zero-sum game, I guess.

in any case, so what do you suggest would be impactful action protesters could do that doesn't inconvenience random people and gets attention and changes minds at the right level?

Last edited:

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
How's causing more emissions though? Is there something I missed?

Actually, a lot of people felt (and still do) that giving other people more rights diminishes there - they felt actively threatened by that. Like a zero-sum game, I guess.

in any case, so what do you suggest would be impactful action protests could do that doesn't inconvenience random people and gets attention and changing minds at the right level?
Id suggest a 30 mile tailback would definitely cause more emissions, the majority of those vehicles are going to be sat with their engines idling, so aircon etc can be used, plus extending the journey times of all those involved will also increase the emissions.
Ill bow to your second point, I really dont know enough about it to argue with you.
For the third, direct protest where the power brokers are, constant and repeated protest. Johnsons schedule is fairly public. Mass protests at every function he attends, every PR/Photo Op, same for other members of the cabinet, same for CEOs of the most polluting companies, inconvenience and disrupt those with the power to generate change.

NotThatSoph

Id suggest a 30 mile tailback would definitely cause more emissions, the majority of those vehicles are going to be sat with their engines idling, so aircon etc can be used, plus extending the journey times of all those involved will also increase the emissions.
Ill bow to your second point, I really dont know enough about it to argue with you.
For the third, direct protest where the power brokers are, constant and repeated protest. Johnsons schedule is fairly public. Mass protests at every function he attends, every PR/Photo Op, same for other members of the cabinet, same for CEOs of the most polluting companies, inconvenience and disrupt those with the power to generate change.
Unless the protesters all walk there then that would cause increased emissions. Even that would cause increased emissions compared to staying on the couch.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Unless the protesters all walk there then that would cause increased emissions. Even that would cause increased emissions compared to staying on the couch.
Not as bad as a 2/3 hour 30 mile tailback on the UKs busiest stretch of road.

NotThatSoph

Not as bad as a 2/3 hour 30 mile tailback on the UKs busiest stretch of road.
No, not as bad, but worse than nothing.

Is your argument that contributing to global warming while protesting global warming is perfectly fine, but not if you contribute to the large extent of approximately zero?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
No, not as bad, but worse than nothing.

Is your argument that contributing to global warming while protesting global warming is perfectly fine, but not if you contribute to the large extent of approximately zero?
No, one of several arguments is that deliberately causing greater emissions to protest against emissions is bloody stupid. Emissions caused by travelling to a protest is one thing, deliberately extending tens of thousands of journey times is another.

NotThatSoph

No, one of several arguments is that deliberately causing greater emissions to protest against emissions is bloody stupid. Emissions caused by travelling to a protest is one thing, deliberately extending tens of thousands of journey times is another.
They're not deliberately causing greater emissions in either case. They're not travelling to cause emissions, and they're not blocking traffick to cause emissions. Emissions are caused by travelling and by traffick lines.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
They're not deliberately causing greater emissions in either case. They're not travelling to cause emissions, and they're not blocking traffick to cause emissions. Emissions are caused by travelling and by traffick lines.
Well unless they are morons, then its fairly obvious a 3 hour 30 mile queue of traffic is going to vastly increase the environmental damage in that area for the day.

NotThatSoph

Well unless they are morons, then its fairly obvious a 3 hour 30 mile queue of traffic is going to vastly increase the environmental damage in that area for the day.
It's not going to vastly increase it at all, the effect will be above but close to zero. It will increase, just like it'll increase if they were to travel to wherever Boris is hanging out.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
It's not going to vastly increase it at all, the effect will be above but close to zero. It will increase, just like it'll increase if they were to travel to wherever Boris is hanging out.
Unless you think 10000 protesters are going to travel to where ever the moron in chief is, each in their own vehicles, it isnt remotely the same thing.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
This is quite interesting, given how environmental concerns continue to be a major black mark on electric cars. If their batteries are this recyclable, much of that disappears.
Nature Briefing said:
Recycled Li-ion batteries are as good as new
Lithium-ion batteries with recycled cathodes can be as good or better than ones that use freshly mined material. Researchers shredded old batteries and reclaimed a mixture of nickel, manganese and cobalt that is commonly used for the cathodes of electric car batteries. When tested with industry-standard methods, the recycled batteries could store as much energy as a conventional one, and could be charged and discharged more times before needing to be replaced.
Full article: https://spectrum.ieee.org/recycled-batteries-good-as-newly-mined

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
While on the subject, that reminds me of another article on electric cars I read last week. It's about these cars being relatively heavy, and should get lighter to become safer and cleaner.
Nature Briefing said:
Electric vehicles must get lighter
Automakers must be incentivized to make their electric vehicles lighter so that they are cleaner and safer, argue three energy-policy researchers. Heavy cars with bulky batteries are more likely to kill people in a crash, and they generate more particulate pollution from tyre wear. More materials and energy are required to build these cars and propel them. Taxes based on vehicle weight, smaller batteries, lighter car frames and road-safety technologies can all help to push things in the right direction.
Full article: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02760-8

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
While on the subject, that reminds me of another article on electric cars I read last week. It's about these cars being relatively heavy, and should get lighter to become safer and cleaner.

In any form of transport that requires some type of propulsive force to move, mass is the enemy of efficiency. Force = Mass X Acceleration.
Almost every new version of a car gets bigger and heavier.
SUVs are a classic case in point.

Mihai

COP26: Document leak reveals nations lobbying to change key climate report

A huge leak of documents seen by BBC News shows how countries are trying to change a crucial scientific report on how to tackle climate change.
The leak reveals Saudi Arabia, Japan and Australia are among countries asking the UN to play down the need to move rapidly away from fossil fuels.

The leak shows a number of countries and organisations arguing that the world does not need to reduce the use of fossil fuels as quickly as the current draft of the report recommends.
An adviser to the Saudi oil ministry demands "phrases like 'the need for urgent and accelerated mitigation actions at all scales…' should be eliminated from the report".
One senior Australian government official rejects the conclusion that closing coal-fired power plants is necessary, even though ending the use of coal is one of the stated objectives the COP26 conference.

Mihai

Shrinking batteries and lighter frames will be a good option when charging points will become more widespread. I like the idea of taxing heavy cars.

hungrywing

In any form of transport that requires some type of propulsive force to move, mass is the enemy of efficiency. Force = Mass X Acceleration.
Almost every new version of a car gets bigger and heavier.
SUVs are a classic case in point.
Be thoust gone with thine physicks and magick.

Some people here might like this.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Some people here might struggle to understand it, including me.
Love your Olde English by the way. Or was it Anglo-Saxon.
Well, I get the general idea. :D

But that's a problem with the current trend in cars: many people are looking to get bigger, so they are more comfortable and feel safer - but generally they make things more dangerous for others. Not evenjust because of the weight, but also because you can't see kids as well from an SUV. And now electric cars are making this worse, as their parts are heavier. Plus heavier cars obviously require more energy to generate the same motion, so getting an electric pick-up truck might not be all that much more clean than a Fiat 500. (Except if eletricity generation is completely clean in your region, I suppose. But that's not the case for many people yet.)

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

But that's a problem with the current trend in cars: many people are looking to get bigger, so they are more comfortable and feel safer - but generally they make things more dangerous for others. Not evenjust because of the weight, but also because you can't see kids as well from an SUV. And now electric cars are making this worse, as their parts are heavier. Plus heavier cars obviously require more energy to generate the same motion, so getting an electric pick-up truck might not be all that much more clean than a Fiat 500. (Except if eletricity generation is completely clean in your region, I suppose. But that's not the case for many people yet.)
That was my exact point.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

To be fair many new SUVs these days have all sorts of technical assets to improve safety and visibility. Mine has sonar, a rear-view camera and automatic braking if anything gets too close.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Sorry, yeah, I did think I might add a Captain Obvious comment at the end of my post!
You have no need at all to apologise.
I always read your posts with great interest. You are passionate about man made climate change, as am I.
It is a seriously important subject for us all.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
So are we just like definitively screwed now?
Absolutely 100%. Unfortunately many will take this to mean we shouldn't do anything at all.
Yeah, we still have a choice between being totally massively enormously screwed (do nothing or let things get even worse), or just being a bit more screwed than we are already (do as much as we can to limit emissions and prepare for the varous disaster scenarios) - or anything in between.
You have no need at all to apologise.
I always read your posts with great interest. You are passionate about man made climate change, as am I.
It is a seriously important subject for us all.
Thanks man - likewise. :)