Climate Change | UN Report: Code Red for humanity

Tarrou

I can assure you with complete confidence, people still do. I speak with them on a regular basis.
Yep. They are everywhere.

the think-tanks/Murdoch/politicians might have moved onto the "well it's too late now anyway" phase, but there are millions of people still in the previous phase of "it's all bollocks".

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
That is Sir John Hayes.

This is from his biography (and I swear I am not making it up:

"Hayes suffered a serious head injury in his early 20s, from which he has never fully recovered. He has focused much of his career on raising funds for research into acquired brain injury and support for those who suffer from it"

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Even countries used to hot weather are putting out alerts for 40 and above temperatures. Common sense group ffs.
In Portugal we're pretty used to heat, but high temperature records are being broken every year now. Record is 47 but they say we may see temperatures over 48 this summer. Obviously this comes with higher death rates for older people and fires everywhere. There nothing else on the news this last few days other than wildfires all over the country, some very close to big cities.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I was walking past a lady in her 4+4 black range rover with the engine running and the window open.
This is what I heard her saying to someone on her phone....
'I am outside sitting in my car with the air con on because we don't have air con inside and do you know what, I really can't stand this heat....'

I will leave you to figure out the irony of that.

maximus419

There is nothing worse than climate change denialists.

Actually there is one thing worse, when a few of them are actually running to be prime minister of a country expecting it's hottest day on record. As if this country never learns, they wouldn't listen to the experts over brexit and now want to repeat their mistakes by electing someone who wants to ignore climate change pledges.

RedTiger

Half mast
Kiss good-bye to the food chain.

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/human...DZNGLfw8sYLEZ0pcT0RiRbrLwyZpfA14IVBmCiC-GchTw

An Edinburgh-based research team fears plankton, the tiny organisms that sustain life in our seas, has all but been wiped out after spending two years collecting water samples from the Atlantic.

The landmark research blames chemical pollution from plastics, farm fertilisers and pharmaceuticals in the water. Previously, it was thought the amount of plankton had halved since the 1940s, but the evidence gathered by the Scots suggest 90% has now vanished.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
There is nothing worse than climate change denialists.

Actually there is one thing worse, when a few of them are actually running to be prime minister of a country expecting it's hottest day on record. As if this country never learns, they wouldn't listen to the experts over brexit and now want to repeat their mistakes by electing someone who wants to ignore climate change pledges.
Despite all of the scientific warnings, not just our political leaders are totally out of touch with reality.
But I have to say that as I go round, lots of people are carrying on business as usual.
Driving when they could easily walk or use public transport.
Flying on holiday when it is probably hotter here.

GazTheLegend

I am delighted that THE most important issue facing us; that being Climate Change has at least been brought to the public attention.
What are your thoughts on this issue and what are you doing to either make it worse or reduce your carbon emissions.
The problem we (as humans) have got is that of the many many many - MANY problems facing mankind, the argument that climate change is "the" most important issue is maybe the only thing I take umbrage with personally. As much as I absolutely wish for all the governments of planet earth to get together and -really- take it seriously, the sad truth is that climate change never feels like an immediate problem and thus is always pushed back. And it's not hard to see why.
*The threat of nuclear extinction
*The threat of asteroid strike
*The threat of a deadly pandemic WORSE than covid

All feel more immediate in many ways.

There are ways to mitigate climate change - the science is clear that if we are committed enough to it we can "alter" our climate, though the resources required for that and the potential side effects are terrifying.

What I will say is that the threat of climate change is essentially based on ocean warming and as that is measurable and we have ALREADY COMMITED TO MELTING GREENLAND as according to some scientific models, anything we can do personally feels futile. My one single faith lies in China, and their serious committment to beginning to become more sustainable (see the Chinese response to blue planet 2 - and from that refusing to accept the UK's waste circa 2017, strangely enough the first time we started taking things seriously here!!!) and that's probably the one chance we've got, an entire culture dedicated to sustainability. Otherwise we are unlikely to see any improvement unless it's technological.

Sources:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/22/worl...a-level-rise-climate-intl-scli-scn/index.html

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/...y-brightened-clouds-could-stop-climate-change

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrap...e-including-recyclable-goods/?sh=55a469807290

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The problem we (as humans) have got is that of the many many many - MANY problems facing mankind, the argument that climate change is "the" most important issue is maybe the only thing I take umbrage with personally. As much as I absolutely wish for all the governments of planet earth to get together and -really- take it seriously, the sad truth is that climate change never feels like an immediate problem and thus is always pushed back. And it's not hard to see why.

All feel more immediate in many ways.

There are ways to mitigate climate change - the science is clear that if we are committed enough to it we can "alter" our climate, though the resources required for that and the potential side effects are terrifying.

What I will say is that the threat of climate change is essentially based on ocean warming and as that is measurable and we have ALREADY COMMITED TO MELTING GREENLAND as according to some scientific models, anything we can do personally feels futile. My one single faith lies in China, and their serious committment to beginning to become more sustainable (see the Chinese response to blue planet 2 - and from that refusing to accept the UK's waste circa 2017, strangely enough the first time we started taking things seriously here!!!) and that's probably the one chance we've got, an entire culture dedicated to sustainability. Otherwise we are unlikely to see any improvement unless it's technological.

Sources:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/22/worl...a-level-rise-climate-intl-scli-scn/index.html

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/...y-brightened-clouds-could-stop-climate-change

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrap...e-including-recyclable-goods/?sh=55a469807290

Being realistic, the threat of nuclear extinction or an Asteroid strike are pretty unlikely at best.
And COVID is described as a once in a generation event.
But man made climate change is actually happening here and now. Today.

And that is the problem.
Very few take climate change seriously enough to make those critical changes. And we should be. Because it is burning us up already.
And if it is this bad now, just how much worse has it got to get for us all to make those changes that we already know we ought to be doing as a matter of extreme urgency.

GazTheLegend

@Buster15 we've literally been threatened with nuclear annihilation maybe a dozen times in the last 3 months.

Covid may be described as a "once in a generation event" but gain of function research and the possibility of accidentally (or purposefully) unleashing a new and deadly virus is, I expect, not the non-zero possibility it should be. Look up the rise of small pox and gain of function there.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-017-08837-7

make those changes that we already know we ought to be doing as a matter of extreme urgency.
The green party in Germany literally just voted (as far as I understand it) in favour of 3 coal burning plants to be used to fulfil the energy shortfall in Germany INSTEAD of nuclear energy. https://www.dw.com/en/germany-to-fire-up-coal-plants-as-russia-turns-down-the-gas/a-62182321

What's your view of nuclear power?

redshaw

Emissions continue to rise even with all the so called cuts. I don't think any of it is being offset with claims of net zero and all this responsibly sourced printed everywhere.

Population increases will have a severe impact but no-one wants to go there and very few are willing to change their way of lives fundamentally to have a meaningful impact. There's so much waste still going on, needless things being shipped around the world.

Problem is the system requires expanding populations, tearing up green land which needs more resources to build homes etc. Business and governments are always leaning towards a profit or expansion of some kind.

The current house renovation boom is one of many, in one hand it's great for builders, councils will approve anything now but it's tons of materials and equipment and the sad thing is so much time and money is being wasted on a whim.

I see a house sold, they get the builders in, do it up and sell, the new owner doesn't quite fancy some of the changes and weeks later I see another team and skips redoing it all again.. People are way too quick to gut houses and landscapes on a fancy or trend now.

Last edited:

Roane

How much of the rise in temperature is due to the change in make up of local areas?

I don't deny the damage of emissions etc on a global level. However local areas have seen substantial change in how they are layed out and planned.

Natural absorption from green land turned into concrete streets has seen flooding in certain parts of the country. My own locality has seen streets that had trees now no longer green as the trees have been chopped down. Local parks that were patches of grassland now have skate parks and what not, basically concrete.

Rows of terraced streets have been knocked down and new housing doesn't create the wind tunnel effect the terraced properties created. Nor offer the shade they once did.

This may sound really daft but how much of an impact does a patch of grass being dug up and replaced with artificial grass have on temperature?

Similarly all those schemes to make houses more energy efficient, cavity insulation and using thermalite blocks etc have they made houses warmer but had an effect on temperatures in the summer?

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Court orders UK government to explain how net zero policies will reach targets
Green activists brought challenge, arguing climate change strategy did not spell out how carbon emissions cuts would be achieved

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...lain-how-net-zero-policies-will-reach-targets

The high court has ordered the government to outline exactly how its net zero policies will achieve emissions targets, after a legal challenge from environmental groups.

Friends of the Earth, ClientEarth and the Good Law Project had all taken legal action over the government’s flagship climate change strategy, arguing it had illegally failed to include the policies it needed to deliver the promised emissions cuts.

In a judgment handed down late on Monday, Mr Justice Holgate said the strategy lacked any explanation or quantification of how the government’s plans would achieve the emissions target, and as such had failed to meet its obligations under Climate Change Act (CCA) 2008.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It may be a silly thing to say. Or just a complete coincidence.
But it is as if the planet is trying to warn us that business as usual is no longer an option.

Covid pandemic killing millions of people.
A massive increase in the cost of fossil fuels.
And the hottest temperatures we experiencing.

I am sure this is just wishful thinking.
But the reality of what is happening already and not in future decades has absolutely got to focus all of our attentions and motivate us all into making the changes we already know about ASAP.

Like all these things, prevention (I use this word loosely) is always significantly cheaper than trying to put the fires out later on.

Smores

It may be a silly thing to say. Or just a complete coincidence.
But it is as if the planet is trying to warn us that business as usual is no longer an option.

Covid pandemic killing millions of people.
A massive increase in the cost of fossil fuels.
And the hottest temperatures we experiencing.

I am sure this is just wishful thinking.
But the reality of what is happening already and not in future decades has absolutely got to focus all of our attentions and motivate us all into making the changes we already know about ASAP.

Like all these things, prevention (I use this word loosely) is always significantly cheaper than trying to put the fires out later on.
We'll act when the realities become too unbearable for us to accept. I doubt we're there yet but you'd hope it's moved us in the right direction.

It needs leadership and someone who is brave enough not to limit their message in fear of the daily mail.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We'll act when the realities become too unbearable for us to accept. I doubt we're there yet but you'd hope it's moved us in the right direction.

It needs leadership and someone who is brave enough not to limit their message in fear of the daily mail.
I don’t expect us to ever act on a global level.

We will see more of the world become uninhabitable.
We will see resources become more and more scarce.
We will see more and more wars over habitable land, resources and movement of people.

Immigrants will be treated more and more inhumanely.

What we will see is attempts to deal with conditions locally. An acceptance that it’s too late to reverse things and technology will be developed to help sustain and survive within territories.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Blimey, that's a real tweet, from a real person, who a lot of people idolise because he "tells it like it is" or whatever. How long was it between that tweet and the mass evacuations because the west of France was literally on fire? A few minutes, probably.

Also, if the Defcon system went beyond 5, the equivalent of Defcon 8 would be some sort of fantastical perfect utopia where nothing bad could possibly happen. He can't even make a good joke about it.

DeGea’sFeet

It’s so obvious that winters in the U.K. are no longer cool/cold like before and summers are getting hotter with records being broken almost every year. Also torrential rain (not yet this summer) has reached levels I’ve never seen in my part of the U.K before. Don’t know how anyone can think something isn’t wrong and at this rate it’s not a good sign.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The guy who drove a car to the North Pole and ended said Top Gear special by musing on the real inconvenient truth being that maybe humans couldn't affect the climate that much after all.

In other words, he's scum.
What a cnut.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
40 degree plus in portugal. Stay safe guys.

It's scary to even reach that level
And the very high temperatures are widespread across America to China.
Important to distinguish between weather and climate change.
But 2022 certainly looking to extend the trend of record temperatures.