Clint Dempsey- Fulham

AttackingFlair

I like Dempsey but I think he could be the Charlie Adam of 2012.
One has scored 22 goals despite not being a striker and has a great work ethic, the other is fat and plays shit hollywood balls. I don't really see it.

Not sure if he's good enough to start for a top club but he's a decent player and would be a good squad player at least.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Man United Plot £10m Move for In form Premier League Goal Machine as Owen & Berbatov

I like him. tough bugger.

He will be a great squad player for us.

If he wants the title, he will come to us.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/0...-as-owen-berbatov-head-for-old-trafford-exit/

Fulham face a fight to hold on to goal ace Clint Dempsey, a £10m target for Arsenal and Tottenham. Manchester United, who already have a couple of popular Americans in the boardroom

SOURCE: Guardian

Amusing reference to the Glazers put to one side, a move for Fulham attacker Clint Dempsey would be a very wise one for Sir Alex Ferguson to consider. The American has netted 22 goals this term and is in the form of his life and would surely be tempted by a move to Old Trafford and his first taste of challenging for major honours and the chance to experience Champions League football.

Whilst Martin Jol would be loathed to lose the 29 year old one would imagine the Craven Cottage side would not prevent the player from leaving, not with the Texan only having a year left to run on his contract and after six seasons sterling service.

Given that Man United are likely to see Dimitar Berbatov and Michael Owen both leave in the summer, both seeing their contracts comes to an end, a move to bring in an experienced attacking option who could offer a great level of back-up service to the likes of Wayne Rooney, Javier Hernandez and Danny Welbeck.

Dempsey has notched up 59 goals in 221 appearances for his West London club and can of course also ply his trade as an attacking midfield option to boot.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
One has scored 22 goals despite not being a striker and has a great work ethic, the other is fat and plays shit hollywood balls. I don't really see it.

Not sure if he's good enough to start for a top club but he's a decent player and would be a good squad player at least.
Yeah i don't see any similarities between the two.

davisjw

Even at Dempsey's age, much like Raul, Beckham, Del Piero, he's never relied on pace so old age won't burn him out like it will someone like Theo or Young.

His strength is his physicality and sheer will to get on the end of balls and that won't leave him. I just don't see him here. Arsenal or Spurs.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Read a snippet in a local paper that he wants to leave to get CL football, and that United are still interested

forevrared

He has more flair and creativity in his pinky toe than Park has in his whole body. Stronger, too.

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
In todays market 10 million really dosnt seem like that much for a proven PL player like Dempsey. I think he could be a useful squad player at United if he is happy to play that role. It could also turn out to be a savvy commercial move (ie Park, Hernandez, and possibly Kagawa) in regards to the US market

Ferguson

I'm American. I love Clint Dempsey. But no way United are interested in him.

Why would we sell Berbatov to bring in Dempsey???

We want a younger player with potential, not a player at 29 who won't be around long enough to be a part of the young team waiting in the wings.

We want more pace. While Dempsey is quicker than Berbatov, he ain't exactly a speed merchant.

Also there are better CM options out there, so no, no way United is interested. Arsenal and Tottenham-yes; United-no.

Kagawa is the Berbatov replacement: more pace, 23 years old, bigger upside, better suited to the style of play we want to have.

Edmeiste

In todays market 10 million really dosnt seem like that much for a proven PL player like Dempsey. I think he could be a useful squad player at United if he is happy to play that role. It could also turn out to be a savvy commercial move (ie Park, Hernandez, and possibly Kagawa) in regards to the US market
as if we actually need him :rolleyes:

talking robot

at 10 mllion, he really wouldn't be that bad. he can provide cover on the wings or up front, and would be an excellent squad player. there is no disputing his track record over the last couple of seasons. he has the mentality for it and a knack for scoring important goals. i think we could do a lot worse than to bring him in on the cheap.

The Neviller

He's shit. Selling Berba and buying Dempsey makes feck all sense.

Play the £30million player already in the squad for feck sake.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Berbatov won't be here by the start of season.

We won't need to replace him though. If we sign Kagawa we could switch between 4231 and 442 and three forwards are enough to do it. It's very doubtful that all three will ever be injured at the same time, especially as none of them have ever seemed injury prone.

Edmeiste

at 10 mllion, he really wouldn't be that bad. he can provide cover on the wings or up front, and would be an excellent squad player. there is no disputing his track record over the last couple of seasons. he has the mentality for it and a knack for scoring important goals. i think we could do a lot worse than to bring him in on the cheap.
again compared to the players we are looking to bring in, do we actually need him?

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Giving ourselves midfield options can't be a bad thing, but you'd have to imagine this would spell the end of Anderson and probably also Park.

Mannheim Red

Giving ourselves midfield options can't be a bad thing, but you'd have to imagine this would spell the end of Anderson and probably also Park.
And the downside is?...You are talking about a player who is crocked almost as much as Hargreaves and a bloke who, when he had an engine, that was the only thing he really ever brought to the pitch.

At the right price Dempsey would be a good option.

Personally, Id still rather see one of the young lads given a chance from the reserves.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I didn't mention a downside? Just what I believe would be a reality. It also counts for the much more probably signing of Kagawa.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
No, please. Do not want.

Plays the same role in the Fulham-side which Kagawa is intended for.

Don't really see in what way he is superior to any of our wide options either.

No midfielder.

Can the press stop linking us to shit forwards for our midfield roles?

davisjw

I said this months ago. Clint is old enough that he'd be a reliable stop-gap solution until Welbeck and Hernandez get more consistent. If anyone here thinks we're going out to get a "proven" Falcao-type striker to replace Berbatov, you're mad. Every striker is going to look at Berbatov getting benched even when the team was playing poorly and say "no thanks" and Fergie trusts the young lads. You wouldn't want to bring in someone demanding time every game.

Clint is proven, scored a bundle and has the tenacity we are so lacking in the box. He's great at headers and has a bit of flair. He can also play on the wing when called for so if the Park out rumors are true, he kills two birds with one stone.

I think Dempsey is a Fergie signing. His contract is up next season too so surely we can get him cheaper than the quoted price. Plus throw in a few loanees.

Brophs

The One and Only
Yeah, I don't see any reason to replace Berbatov with a much worse player, albeit one who's versatile. When everyone's fit for us he'd struggle to get near the team.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Exactly.

I'd rather we just relied on Macheda as 4th choice than to spend money on a good but no better than that player like Dempsey.

Don't get me wrong Macheda needs first team football but i'd rather he stay than goes on loan and Dempsey arrive in his place.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
One decent season, over-priced, from a mid-table club?

Come on, lads. This one's got Liverpool written all over it.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
For the right price I'd have him here. It would allow us to play Welbeck, Hernandez and Rooney as our first choice, whilst having a decent reserve.

We won't get him for the right price though.

mu77

11 goals a year at fulham. not bad - he doesn't take the penos does he?

29 and 10m not on.

davisjw

One decent season, over-priced, from a mid-table club?

Come on, lads. This one's got Liverpool written all over it.
He's had a number of solid seasons. Most on here forget he was never a striker or a permanent one for the squad until this season, and even then he wasn't always played up top.