Clint Dempsey- Fulham

Revan

Assumptionman
Actually I think that it will be a decent signing for them. In attack they would have him, Suarez and possibly Borini, while if they manage to buy a central midfielder than they would have a good trio in midfield with new signing, Lucas and Gerrard. With those 3 additions they can easily challenge for 4-th spot which I think is their objective.

davisjw

Better than Carrol.

£7.5 million is a steal. On FIFA he's worth over £10M!

He said he only wants a move to play in the CL. Surely he realizes Liverpool are about a decade from that. I'd assume he's holding out for a move to Arsenal. Had links to France and Italy, but has always said he doesn't want to move somewhere so late in his career where he'd have to learn a whole new language.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Rodellega has signed at Fulham - could well mean that Dempsey is on his way. Pool makes the most sense imo, though Arsenal could do worse than get him in if RVP leaves.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Very strong rumours that Dempsey has signed for Liverpool.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
But But But.. FSG got him in the Draft in the sumnmer?!!?!

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Nah, I think that's bollocks, I think he'd be great for Liverpool.....erm yeah, maybe you're right....

Nah, but in all honesty I think he could do a good job for Spurs or Newcastle.
Do a job, surely.

But will he take those club a step up?

Hal9000

If he can score 23 goals in a Fulham side, that tally is probably going to improve with better players around him.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
If he can score 23 goals in a Fulham side, that tally is probably going to improve with better players around him.
There is no certainty in that.

He will have far less room and space playing for e.g. Liverpool than what he got playing for Fulham.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Playing him behind Suarez is a more potent goal scoring threat than Suarez behind Carroll. So an upgrade for Liverpool this would be.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'm not exactly trembling with fear about the signings Liverpool are making - they're hardly going to blow the title-race wide open with such limited players. I do wonder if - for all the hype - Rodgers is merely Hodgson with a laptop.

Traub

I'm not exactly trembling with fear about the signings Liverpool are making - they're hardly going to blow the title-race wide open with such limited players. I do wonder if - for all the hype - Rodgers is merely Hodgson with a laptop.
I guess they doing it properly though - they can't attract the very top now so they're slowly trying to build a solid team to challenge for champions league football.

Widnes

he must be heading into his 30's now?? decent signing but nothing more than that

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
They're always a tough opposition for us no matter what their squad is so it won't affect United much. They need to get themselves into a solid EL place, that is 5th/6th place, and these signings are in the right direction. Their defense was hardly leaking last season but the goals were very absent.

Decotron

So was Marco Negri......Whats your point?
My point is pretty obvious...He got into many people's team of the season last year. He's been a consistant player for a number of years now. Obviously not top drawer but has developed further every season with Fulham.

Whats your problem is a better question? He's clearly a decent player. All squads need them. This much is also pretty obvious.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I wouldn't worry about it Decotron, the English snobs are out in full force per usual. If Dempsey were English they'd love him, granted his development would have been stunted by the English way.

Dempsey would defintely be a nice addition to Liverpool though I think he'd work better for Arsenal or Spurs.

mightberight

Everyone says that when a player from a lesser team moves on, and it almost never happens. You could make the opposite argument by saying with more talented players around him, he won't always be at the centre of each play.

mightberight

I wouldn't worry about it Decotron, the English snobs are out in full force per usual. If Dempsey were English they'd love him, granted his development would have been stunted by the English way.

Dempsey would defintely be a nice addition to Liverpool though I think he'd work better for Arsenal or Spurs.
Any bias against Dempsey is probably due to the fact that he's moving to Liverpool, and I have no idea what you mean by the bit in bold. What's "The American Way"?

MrMarcello

The "American way" is most likely all these soccer dad's that don't know shit but think they do. Fortunately, Dempsey was given lots of free reign by club and school coaches in Texas to utilize his free-style skills (he's an amazing free-stylist) and play fast attacking, direct football. He'd probably have been shunted to being a James Milner in England (yes, I'm being hyperbolic here, he might have been another Ox or Walcott or whatnot).

mightberight

The "American way" is most likely all these soccer dad's that don't know shit but think they do. Fortunately, Dempsey was given lots of free reign by club and school coaches in Texas to utilize his free-style skills (he's an amazing free-stylist) and play fast attacking, direct football. He'd probably have been shunted to being a James Milner in England (yes, I'm being hyperbolic here, he might have been another Ox or Walcott or whatnot).
Not really sure I've seen much "freestyling" from Dempsey on the football pitch ... he's just a very direct attacker who can make things happen in the final third. England have produced a better, but similar player called Frank Lampard. And that's no slight on Dempsey, he could definitely stand out playing for anyone outside the top 4 in England.

MrMarcello

I doubt freestyling will end up a good thing during a match, but those skills he honed certainly aided his development in the attacking department. He was never shackled by some coach attempting to interject his plan on the player from what I have learned. Thus the player was able to do what came natural to him.

Lampard never played as a wide player nor a forward that I'm aware of. Dempsey has never been a central midfielder either. How is that a comparison? And why?