Clint Dempsey

Kiwi_fan

I'm a little pisspot
He's quite good isn't he? It took a while for him to get going but looks in good touch now. interesting how Fulham are playing him as a lone striker over Healy and others as well.

Alex

Best American outfield player at the moment it seems, he has really improved over at Fulham

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Wonder which club he'll sign with when Fulham drop as he'll surely demand a stay in the Premiership. He'd be a good replacement for Berbatov, ey? ;)

Think he's good enough for Liverpool?

How about a partnership with Yakubu at Everton?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
definitely think he will linked to a bigger club during the summer. has done really well at a struggling club.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah Fulham seem to weigh him down a bit, he's better than that.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
would make the Liverpool squad.
He'd make the squad alright but I don't think he is the step up in class they need to challenge the top 3.

Also, isnt Donovan meant to be the best American footballer? He definately seems to good for the MLS.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
He'd make the squad alright but I don't think he is the step up in class they need to challenge the top 3.

Also, isnt Donovan meant to be the best American footballer? He definately seems to good for the MLS.
He's always mentioned as the best American player by the meida, but he's not. He's only in the MLS because he couldn't cut it in Europe. He went to Germany, couldn't get a regular spot, came back to the states. Most people who really watch the sport don't care for Landycakes.

Suedesi

Donovan is a nifty player and great technique, but doesn't quite have the physical strength in him.

He is great against Mexico mind.

MrMarcello

Donovan is a nifty player and great technique, but doesn't quite have the physical strength in him.

He is great against Mexico mind.
All American players perform great against the Mexicans. We're a bunch of game raising cnuts against that nation that still think they're the class of this region. Mexico are much like Liverpool in that sense - they still think they belong in the elite category.

Shaydee

Dempsey is much better as a midfielder IMO than as a forward. Fulham have been sticking him up top by himself.

davisjw

He's always mentioned as the best American player by the meida, but he's not. He's only in the MLS because he couldn't cut it in Europe. He went to Germany, couldn't get a regular spot, came back to the states. Most people who really watch the sport don't care for Landycakes.
Been following MLS and U.S. national team for sometime now I'm in the U.S. for a period of time.

Can't agree more, Donovan is completely overrated by the media. Most of his goals are penalties and sitters with the rare dribbled goals. He complains way too much and even had the nerve to say "he'd allow Beckham to take a few free kicks"... (he was LA's freekick taker)

Can't agree with the Dempsey love. He chokes, is lazy and is no where near the quality of the top 3, maybe at Aston Villa or Everton but even then not as a starter. He just gets lost in the big matches.

Bradley is a decent player who's profile has been helped greatly by the fact his dad is the U.S. national coach and plays him when possible over more talented players like Ben Olsen.

I'd say Beasley is a handful up north of the border and has done well in the CL, Adu is developing nicely (finally), Szelta (sp?) is my favorite young America, first noticed him in the u-20 World Cup and have followed him- great young player and should make a name for himself with the right training. Of course on the stateside, you gotta look at Altidore- best U.S. potential in my opinion. Eddie Johnson who I think just went to Fulham (could we say the EPL's American squad?) is a decent young striker. Very fast but can be afraid to run at defenders, will do well after a slow start. Brian Ching is quite good for Houston Dynamo.

Seems though the U.S.' best position is as keeper because that position utilizes the skills most U.S. sports use i.e. quick reflects, jumping, diving, power. The newest crop of U.S. players I think will finally earn the U.S. the respect it's been asking for- we'll see.

Raconteur

Dempsey is much better as a midfielder IMO than as a forward. Fulham have been sticking him up top by himself.
He was by far our best player in the last world cup, from midfield, and has seemed the part at Fulham as a striker, so it'd be hard to classify him as better at either position. Definitely destined for a bigger club though after this season.

I'd love to see him at a club challenging for a European place, but I can't see him at Liverpool. Maybe he'd fit in at City, Blackburn, or Portsmouth. Hopefully he doesn't fade away like Beasley did after leaving PSV or get plagued with injuries like Bobby Convey has been at Reading after showing some talent early on.

olesmyhero said:
spot on with Donovan... very overhyped

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I go and see Fulham quite alot, and i can't say i've ever been too impressed by Dempsey.
That may have alot to do with Fulham just lumping the ball up to him, in a target man sort of way.

talking robot

I don't think that Donovan is as overrated as some claim. He is the United States all time leading goal scorer and he is only 25 years old. His problem is that he doesn't have the same drive and determination to succeed that Dempsey, Adu, or Beasley have had. I think that Donovan would still do ok as a second striker in the premiership or in spain at a mid table club.

As for the topic at hand, I think Dempsey probably is the best American outfield player right now with Donovan coming in a close second. As a striker, Dempsey is no where near the standard of United, Liverpool, Arsenal, or Chelsea. As a right wing (which is his natural position), he could maybe be a good squad player.

Alex

Failed twice in Europe, seems comfortable playing in LA, has the talent to be a very, very good player, does he have the drive? -it appears not

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
I don't think that Donovan is as overrated as some claim. He is the United States all time leading goal scorer and he is only 25 years old. His problem is that he doesn't have the same drive and determination to succeed that Dempsey, Adu, or Beasley have had. I think that Donovan would still do ok as a second striker in the premiership or in spain at a mid table club.

As for the topic at hand, I think Dempsey probably is the best American outfield player right now with Donovan coming in a close second. As a striker, Dempsey is no where near the standard of United, Liverpool, Arsenal, or Chelsea. As a right wing (which is his natural position), he could maybe be a good squad player.
I think he could've done well if he decided to not be a pussy and try to fight for a spot in Germany. Moving back to the MLS really stopped his maturing as a footballer. Also, I think the last 6 or more of his goals have been penalties, so it's not like he's overly gifted as a forward.

MrMarcello

Bradley is a decent player who's profile has been helped greatly by the fact his dad is the U.S. national coach and plays him when possible over more talented players like Ben Olsen.
Bradley is a top class prospect. Olsen should probably play more for the US but it's obvious to see that Bradley will end up the best midfielder in US history if he continues at his current rate. Shame that O'Brien couldn't shake those leg injuries - the guy could hit gnat from 30 yards.

Szetela has yet to get a match at Racing. Looks a bad move but you just never know if there is anti-American bias with some coaches. Maybe there's better midfielders at Racing. I expect him to seek a move elsewhere in the summer if things don't change. Would like to see him in England, like at Sunderland. Too bad he chose the MLS over Arsenal or United in 2004. Either club would have developed him further than the MLS did and although he'd probably be elsewhere now, he might be getting matches due to a proper youth development.

MrMarcello

Agree. IMO the US best player at the moment, better as an attacking MF than striker.
Tucked in behind the striker(s) or out wide? His wide game is limited because his crossing is shit. But he takes on players much like Ronaldo will. When wide he plays more as an inside forward than traditional winger. He's strong, good in the air, and has good ball skills hence why he's played up front for the national team of late (Fulham more do to injuries/lack of forwards). I think putting him at right wing with Johnson and McBride up front could work wonders for Fulham. That said, I don't know if Johnson will be cut for the Premiership level - he blew hot and cold in the weak MLS. Fulham are really missing McBride and Radzinski.

The_Midfielder

Isn;t Dempsey the dude that is a rapper too..
He will be good in a team like Fulham, Sunderland ..thats it...
Definitely nothing more

pbrown

Think the rapper will end up as a winger when Fulham get their strikers together and in camp. I think EJ will prove to be a good buy for them as he is ready for the challenge that EPL will give and Healy will be on the bench...

MrMarcello

Heard on FoxSoccerReport last night that Szetela is heading to Brescia on loan. From wiki: On January 29, 2008, Szetela was loaned out to Serie B side Brescia Calcio. The loan will last until June 30, 2008, with the option to purchase at the end.

Adu article on FSW... http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/7740152/Sometimes-you-have-to-leave-to-find-home-...

Bryan Arguez (have no clue) has signed for Hertha Belin. He's 19 and was drafted in the first round by DC United in 2007. He never appeared for DC United in teh 2007 season.

spinoza

Paz's ion
All American players perform great against the Mexicans. We're a bunch of game raising cnuts against that nation that still think they're the class of this region. Mexico are much like Liverpool in that sense - they still think they belong in the elite category.
Even after they got stuffed by the Argies in the last World Cup?

Shaydee

Heard on FoxSoccerReport last night that Szetela is heading to Brescia on loan. From wiki: On January 29, 2008, Szetela was loaned out to Serie B side Brescia Calcio. The loan will last until June 30, 2008, with the option to purchase at the end.

Adu article on FSW... http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/7740152/Sometimes-you-have-to-leave-to-find-home-...

Bryan Arguez (have no clue) has signed for Hertha Belin. He's 19 and was drafted in the first round by DC United in 2007. He never appeared for DC United in teh 2007 season.
Arguez was highly thought of coming into MLS but for some reason DC never gave him a shot, even in a cup game. He was allowed to train with Hertha this offseason and they were so impressed they bought him. He's been playing with their first team in friendlies during the German winter break and really impressing.

USDevil

Soldier of Fortune
Give Dempsey a strike partner and all hell could break loose. With Johnson in the team I think Fulham will avoid the drop.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Dempseys doing fine at Fulham alright.

Donovan lacks the motivation I think to compete in Europe.

That said though, he's paid a bundle, has a hot girlfriend and lives in Manhattan Beach, California. S'pose he thinks that's better than sitting on a freezing cold bench in Germany. Can't say I blame him.

appooOnU

Is Johnson supposed to play this weekend?
he's not on the teamsheets that I've seen.

I don't think Dempsey is even a top 3 player for USA. Donovan, Adu, and Bradley all seem to be more influential. At least with the national team.

We'll see vs. Mexico.

Raconteur

he's not on the teamsheets that I've seen.

I don't think Dempsey is even a top 3 player for USA. Donovan, Adu, and Bradley all seem to be more influential. At least with the national team.

We'll see vs. Mexico.
Two overhyped players and the coaches son.... demonstrating a real grasp of American soccer right there.

Adu has yet to make any impact at all on the senior national team, but does seem to finally be progressing like we all had hoped. That said, Altidore looks the better prospect.

Donovan shines in the MLS, but it's the damn MLS. He couldn't cut it in Europe, as was demonstrated in Leverkusen, and he doesn't have the confidence to stick it out. He has the pace and skill to be a good player, but doesn't seem to have the mentality to exploit his talents. Even just from his generation, I'd take Beasley before I took Donovan.

Bradley is a solid player by American standards. There is no doubt about that, but influential is hardly a word I'd use to describe him.

Fully fit, I'd say top 3 most important players for the US are Dempsey, Howard, Johnson. If it were just outfield players, Beasley would slot in with Donovan close behind.

appooOnU

Adu has yet to make any impact at all on the senior national team, but does seem to finally be progressing like we all had hoped. That said, Altidore looks the better prospect.
He was important in a victory against Switzerland, and did well in his first @ South Africa.

Donovan shines in the MLS, but it's the damn MLS. He couldn't cut it in Europe, as was demonstrated in Leverkusen, and he doesn't have the confidence to stick it out. He has the pace and skill to be a good player, but doesn't seem to have the mentality to exploit his talents. Even just from his generation, I'd take Beasley before I took Donovan.
This is just a myth. Leverkusen didn't want him to leave. Landon wasn't happy there because he loved home. He only had one bad performance, and the other moments was actually pretty good for Leverkusen. Even against Liverpool, he had one very good performance at Liverpool, and then struggled in the return match.

Bradley is a solid player by American standards. There is no doubt about that, but influential is hardly a word I'd use to describe him.
Check out the Eridivisie Tables. I don't need to say a thing, his performance with his club speaks for itself.

Raconteur

He was important in a victory against Switzerland, and did well in his first @ South Africa.
Hardly qualifications for being one of the top 3 most influential players for the US, as you claimed.

Check out the Eridivisie Tables. I don't need to say a thing, his performance with his club speaks for itself.
You're absolutely correct... His performances with his club speak for themselves. Yet, they still fail to speak for his International performances.

This is just a myth. Leverkusen didn't want him to leave. Landon wasn't happy there because he loved home. He only had one bad performance, and the other moments was actually pretty good for Leverkusen. Even against Liverpool, he had one very good performance at Liverpool, and then struggled in the return match.
That may be true, but apart from the 2002 World Cup his International performances haven't been anything special.Donovan is the one player you named that could be considered most influential for the US, which is all this argument was about.

This is how threads get soo far off topic. People make stupid arguments then back them up by talking about something completely different than their original point. If you want to say that those players are the 3 most influential for the US, then talk about their performances for the US. Easy enough.

appooOnU

This is how threads get soo far off topic. People make stupid arguments then back them up by talking about something completely different than their original point. If you want to say that those players are the 3 most influential for the US, then talk about their performances for the US. Easy enough.
Then perhaps I should have said going forward?

Also, Donovan was inspirational in the match vs. Mexico to win the Gold Cup last year. I'll admit the other Gold Cup championships were mostly meaningless because we never had to play Mexico to win - but last a full strength USA faced off against a full strength Mexico in a match both sides were absolutely desperate to win (the winner would goto the 09 Confederations Cup), and Donovan was simply brilliant for us in a 2 - 1 victory. Much better than Dempsey.

And I probably shouldn't even list Bradley. Going forward, Donovan and Adu will decide the fate of USA. Everyone else is a role player.