g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Clive Tydesley replaced as main ITV commentator

Chairman Steve

I don’t mind Matterface for the small number of times I’ve listened to him, but it may change once I’ve heard more of him and on more prominent games.

All the better commentators are on Sky, but they want to keep Tyler going until the end of time seemingly.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm sure the game will still go on.

Don't have BT and watch the games on streams anyway. Why pay for that crap?
Whenever I’ve tried streams in the past them jump glitch & jitter all the time. Then they crash & you spend 10 minutes looking for another. Impossible to get immersed in the game.

Wayne's World

Surely BT or Sky will take him on. He still has a great knowledge for the game and would love to see him back commenting on the Champions League again.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hes been in the role for 22 years, let someone else have a go. Sure he will have other opportunities come his way

Manny

Grammar Police
The voice of the CL for me too.

Really hope BT pick him up. He's been absolutely wasted at ITV since they stopped showing the CL.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Pathetic, undignified video tbh. He's a 65 year old man, it's only natural he'll get replaced at that age, it's like he thought he had a god given right to the job.

Not for me, boomer.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Iconic commentator. I don't necessarily blame ITV for wanting to freshen things up, but Sam Matterface?

ShinjiNinja26

BT need him more. That Fletch guy is annoying.
Aye that guys a wanker, always trying to stir up controversy. He also speaks like he’s trying to be “one of the lads”. BT’s commentary in general is garbage. The few good ones they do have they stick them on covering other European leagues.

Would love to see Clive back on CL games. I’ve always associated him with Champions league, so many iconic moments.

GazTheLegend

Have fond memories of Clive in various early Champions League games! He's clearly far from done yet though I'm sure someone will pick him up.

Reeks of some middle management wanting to justify their existence by changing things up for the sake of it. He's a voice that will be forever associated with football.

MichaelRed

Noooooooooooo. I love Clive Tydesley. Look at the passion in his video here. He made some funny videos commentating his wife's cooking not so long ago, maybe he'll go into that full time :lol:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Great commentator but I agree on those saying he's had his time.

65, commentating for decades, he's had his time. Move aside, Grandad. Even if Matterface is a gowl who somehow landed Natalie Sawyer.

That goes double for Martin Tyler. Almost 75, for feck sake.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
How many games go ITV even show on an annual basis? Cant be many.
Nothing domestic now. Perhaps they'll get the champions league and europa back in a few years (at least the highlights) as I have no interest in getting BT. Think they're getting the FA cup and sharing it with the BBC in 12 months.

Aside from "that night in Barcelona" Clive Tyldesley is a very good commentator for live games and simply one of those voices you grew up listening to like John Motson and Tyler (who is 75 so will bow out in a year or two). Alan Parry is another in his 70s now.

Matterface is awful on the radio, constantly behind the play all the time when goals are scored. Not surprised by this decision though as the casual fans who tune in for world cups will know him from Dancing on Ice when he commentates on the performances.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I remember once when ITV and ITV2 were doing CL games simultaneously and I thought he was doing both of them only to realise it was Jon Champion on ITV2 :lol:

Was i the only one who thought they sounded pretty similar?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I remember once when ITV and ITV2 were doing CL games simultaneously and I thought he was doing both of them only to realise it was Jon Champion on ITV2 :lol:

Was i the only one who thought they sounded pretty similar?
Jon Champion is miles better, loved listening to him doing the England-Argentina 98 match when he worked for BBC.

Peter Drury is also a favourite of mine although he probably dosen't have the gravitas to be a number one commentator anywhere, ITV dumped him years ago.

shahzy

Surely someone else offers him a job. Clive is an icon and any commentary team would be lucky to have him.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I like Tydesley but that announcement is very self-indulgent and smacks of someone with little-to-no self-awareness. I think he’s let himself down here and will maybe realise it in due course.

Nobody has a divine right to any position they may be fortunate enough to occupy. A learned, world-experienced man like Tydesley should know that as much as anyone.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Please get him on BT and replace him with that Fletch idiot

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Jon Champion is miles better, loved listening to him doing the England-Argentina 98 match when he worked for BBC.

Peter Drury is also a favourite of mine although he probably dosen't have the gravitas to be a number one commentator anywhere, ITV dumped him years ago.
Peter Drury has been the #1 commentator on the world feed for a good number of years now. He's also done the last World Cup finals for the world feed.

Machine Elements

He's my favourite commentator along with John Motson. So many memorable moments in CL with his commentary like obviously 99 CL final but what I liked most was his commentary in 06-07 Milan and Roma games at home. "Magical Manchester United" & "Roooneeeeyyy ohhh!!! How good was that?" He's probably the best commentator to pronounce Rooney's name. God, I really missed that season when I watched those videos again.

Can't embed videos due to likes but you can use these links after deleting the spaces:

htt ps://ww w.you tube.c om/watch?v=6MeqL2wJUMs

htt ps://ww w.yout ube.c om/watch?v=XyDz30kSjns

htt ps://ww w.you tube.c om/watch?v=GiWiAmoh_JY (longer version of Milan game)

I wish MUTV would get him but obviously it's not gonna happen.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Pathetic, undignified video tbh. He's a 65 year old man, it's only natural he'll get replaced at that age, it's like he thought he had a god given right to the job.

Not for me, boomer.
Well said. I like the bloke but my god did that video stink of entitlement.

starman

High pitch voices like his, Motson, and Jon Champions always seem to be better for tournament football.
SKY and BT in their operations over the years tend to have gone for the drab mono tone voices of Tyler and Fletcher for games week in week out, maybe because the high pitch could be grinding on ears if regularly heard. And yes I know people hate Tyler and Fletcher.