g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Clive Tydesley replaced as main ITV commentator

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
The only time we hear him is for internationals isn't it? ITV don't have any other football as far as I'm aware.

Mr Smith

Hate modern day commentators, just a voice with no knowledge of the players they are commentating on. More interested in telling everyone what they have been doing in their personal life than telling us what is happening on the pitch.
Weird comment to make. What commentator does this?

Commentary is a pretty hard job IMO, but most of them do it well. The ones that bug me are the ones that are clearly pushing a particular narrative rather than going where the game takes them.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think after releasing that he'd be lucky to be #2. It's up to ITV to decide who they want as their #1.
I agree but by the sounds of it they haven't even told him why. I guess they don't have an obligation to but it makes you look a bit shitty if you don't.

L1nk

Sam Matterface? Really? Loves the sound of his own voice and has half the commentating talent of Tyldesley, bizarre decision given with no explanation.

youngrell

Echo the sentiments of bringing him in to replace Fletcher on BT. That guy begins a Liverpool match creaming himself and gets worse by the minute.

GMoore23

"Remember The Name, Wayne Rooney"

Think he had a touch of man love love for Rooney in his prime.

Havak

Pokemon master
Echo the idea of BT making him the main man. Will be surprised if it isn't agreed for next season. If not even as early as next month for the European tournaments.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Replaced by this guy

He's a good commentator to be fair, and these sort of posts are going to be more and more common for anyone assuming these sort of roles who grew up in the internet age. Plus anyone can hypothetically pose as anyone online.

Yes, I get Clive Tydesley's frustration at not being able to choose the time he steps down, but equally Sam Matterface is pretty much the same age Tydesley was when he assumed the role. Production companies like iconic voices to commentate, and the only way to ensure that is by having a voice associated with them over a prolonged period of time. I can completely understand why ITV would want to do this, but it does sound like it's been handled in a less than transparent way.

Wider comment is on people (boomers) working into what was typically considered retirement age, and clogging up the chances of progress for younger generations despite having retirement prospects anyone under the age of 50 could only dream of. Separate rant, I know.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I agree but by the sounds of it they haven't even told him why. I guess they don't have an obligation to but it makes you look a bit shitty if you don't.
Likely told him something vague like they want to 'freshen it up.' When in reality it's because he's ancient but they can't explicitly say that without getting sued.

Oggmonster

I like him and feel sorry for him but do ITV have that much football where they need 2 commentators? They only have the England games don't they?

It seems the media lot are annoyed but it's life really, I'm surprised Sky are still using Tyler as much as they do when there's plenty of other commentators about.

BT need him more. That Fletch guy is annoying.
He's made more annoying cos of McManaman, hear "Fletch" more than any of the players names in a game.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Is there actually any live football on (old-school) terrestrial TV nowadays anyway?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I hope this doesn't lead to an outbreak of Jake Humphrey, the Nicky Campbell of his generation.

Chairman Steve

He’s responsible for some memorable soundbites for Utd and he’s synonymous with ITV and Champions League. He’s a bit cringe with the obvious love in for Utd though.

I remember back in 98/99 in the Champions League Semi 1st Leg with Juve, with Teddy Sheringham scoring and then it was ruled out last moment and he pretty much had a temper tantrum.

Get him for MUTV I say. He’d feel right at home and listening to MUTV feeds won’t be painful. Enlist Ron Atkinson as analyst commentary too and really go for that nostalgia hit.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
He’s responsible for some memorable soundbites for Utd and he’s synonymous with ITV and Champions League. He’s a bit cringe with the obvious love in for Utd though.

I remember back in 98/99 in the Champions League Semi 1st Leg with Juve, with Teddy Sheringham scoring and then it was ruled out last moment and he pretty much had a temper tantrum.

Get him for MUTV I say. He’d feel right at home and listening to MUTV feeds won’t be painful. Enlist Ron Atkinson as analyst commentary too and really go for that nostalgia hit.
I don't think in the current world environment, that Ron would work?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The social media world has never forgiven Sam Matterface for going out with that woman from SSN whose name escapes me.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Having an old racist is just what we need.

Let's have a Don Howe type too with gems like this," I'd be worried about Muslim players in England, they'd be too busy praying."

Tiber

Its obviously gutting for him and I feel bad for him, it sucks to lose your job.

At the same time, I have never overly cared for his commentary.

Chairman Steve

I don't think in the current world environment, that Ron would work?
Having an old racist is just what we need.

Let's have a Don Howe type too with gems like this," I'd be worried about Muslim players in England, they'd be too busy praying."

It was a tongue in cheek suggestion I’ll admit :lol: Plus I’m pretty sure I saw him providing punditry for MUTV anyway.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The social media world has never forgiven Sam Matterface for going out with that woman from SSN whose name escapes me.
He was married to Natalie Sawyer.

Their kid is called Sawyer Matterface..... I know, you don't have to say it

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Matterface is impossible to read. He gets excited for misses yet carries on talking normally when a goal has been scored. It's so odd, like the complete opposite of that he's meant to do.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Natalie Sawyer. He did well for himself when he maried her. They're no longer together though.