Club Friendlies - Aston Villa vs Man United on 12/09/2020

Jonesno.8

Can only imagine its a poisonous watch based on team selection. We've watched the bones of that team enough to know. Wonder why he changed so much. Giving lads time on the pitch...... get it but surely we could have gone stronger and introduced in a more balanced way. As much as the hope kills me after finishing reasonably well last season, this selection shows the lack of depth we really have.

Revaulx

Why do these lads never take the chances they get to shine? It happens time and time again.
Weird isn’t it? And it’s been so for years; certainly well before Fergie retired. You’d think they would at least put a shift in and make their presence felt.

Glow

The whole purpose of these frendlies before season start must be to train the interactions between the best players (those who are mostly going to play in all matches).
Playing a match like this with the bench players doesn't give any meaning and is a waist of time and a missing opportunity to let the best players improve their interactions.

Wilt

Needed this friendly like a hole in the head ...now having to play catch-up and I suppose another midweek game

RonaldoVII

The whole purpose of these frendlies before season start must be to train the interactions between the best players (those who are mostly going to play in all matches).
Playing a match like this with the bench players doesn't give any meaning and is a waist of time and a missing opportunity to let the best players improve their interactions.
The whole purpose is fitness, particularly for those who didn't play for their country, as Ole said before the game.

Needed this friendly like a hole in the head ...now having to play catch-up and I suppose another midweek game
So you'd prefer to go into a new season having had no pre-season games?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's just a friendly for some fitness work, who cares. Shock that in said friendly our back ups lost to a strong Villa line up.

laughtersassassin

It's just a friendly for some fitness work, who cares. Shock that in said friendly our back ups lost to a strong Villa line up.
I wasn't complaining just interested. That said our backups should be able to beat Villa imo. Its yet another indicator they aren't good enough

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Everyone losing their head.. didn’t we lose 2-1 to West Brom at Home before the restart? It’s a friendly. It doesn’t matter.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Everyone losing their head.. didn’t we lose 2-1 to West Brom at Home before the restart? It’s a friendly. It doesn’t matter.
People are weird

I couldn't imagine devoting 1% of care to what happens in a friendly.

Red_toad

Not really, pre season games are about raising revenue and giving players match time. Look at pre-season last year, whole bunch of kids played, even Jones got matches.
As we've only made 1 addition to the first team, it's hardly as though they need to get used to playing with each other. The bench players hardly got a kick toward the end of the season, they obviously need a work out.
Can't believe people are getting worked up about a closed doors match, simply ridiculous reactions to a nothing game :rolleyes:

Wilt

The whole purpose is fitness, particularly for those who didn't play for their country, as Ole said before the game.

So you'd prefer to go into a new season having had no pre-season games?
Under these circumstances ....yes

SamVimes

It is a friendly with players getting match fitness. The result is irrelevant.

Josep Dowling

The line up but I think it could be shopped

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1599932195

Dean Henderson preferred in goal for Manchester United in behind closed doors defeat to Aston Villa
Thats a stronger side than I expected but Rashford at CAM? What exactly was Ole thinking there.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I got laughed at for saying we should have played the ressies and kids in Europa. I said this would be the effect. No pre season and no proper prep time. Palace will be so much fitter and better prepared next week than us. Could easily drop points.
You got laughed at because you wanted to throw away the chance of a trophy.

Plenty of preparation time, Palace have had one game more than us. Hardly a massive advantage.

You realise we dropped points against them last season right? With a full strength team....

devips

This is a typical match day thread without anyone having watched the match!

For the posters here - this is the TEMPLATE, folks! Copy paste it in subsequent such threads. It will save you the trouble typing.

Godfather

Thats a stronger side than I expected but Rashford at CAM? What exactly was Ole thinking there.
Still a horrendous lineup. Stuff for nightmares. McT and VdB in central midfield with Rashford the CAM? Lord have mercy. And that frontline...

Hoof the ball

Friendly games aren't just for fitness. They're also about building momentum and fluidity in your play so that when the season begins your psychological, mental and physical confidence is high going into the first game. Pre-season games matter in terms of how they build confidence, not just how they build fitness.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
You got laughed at because you wanted to throw away the chance of a trophy.

Plenty of preparation time, Palace have had one game more than us. Hardly a massive advantage.

You realise we dropped points against them last season right? With a full strength team....
Palace have had 2 friendlies at least and a full PL game mate. How's that 1 more game?

Europa was always worth going for during the actual season. When it got moved to post season and we'd already got CL football it just became a massive headache in my opinion.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
To be honest, the bitter reality is that those players are lucky to be playing in the Premier league. We overrate them based on the name of our club. We are 6 signings away from being a very good team again. And yes that's a number I plucked from the air.

Champ

Maybe: it's a friendly, I'll try something new because the result is irrelevant?

EwanI Ted

Judging from the line up he just looks to be playing mainly people who didn’t play international games.

always_hoping

The line up but I think it could be shopped

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1599932195

Dean Henderson preferred in goal for Manchester United in behind closed doors defeat to Aston Villa
What's with the different starting teams posted up online, can journalists not get it right the first time around?

ti vu

They may put the line up like that doesn't mean players would be in that positions.

Can very happen to be:

Ighalo
Rashford Lingard Dan James

Champ

Palace have had 2 friendlies at least and a full PL game mate. How's that 1 more game?

Europa was always worth going for during the actual season. When it got moved to post season and we'd already got CL football it just became a massive headache in my opinion.
I wonder if Palace fans thought the worst when they drew against Brondby the other week?

Did you see Palaces lineup against Millwall? How many played against Brondby?

Seriously, you are so negative its untrue, you are the match day thread personified....

rotherham_red

Can only imagine its a poisonous watch based on team selection. We've watched the bones of that team enough to know. Wonder why he changed so much. Giving lads time on the pitch...... get it but surely we could have gone stronger and introduced in a more balanced way. As much as the hope kills me after finishing reasonably well last season, this selection shows the lack of depth we really have.