g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Cody Gakpo: Finish The Story

Biggins

Really this just means that Garnacho will get more playing time which is great. I don’t know whether he will make it here but there is nothing better than seeing such an exciting young prospect giving it a go! If he makes it, we have a star for years. If he does not, we still have Rashford and hopefully Sancho. 40m can be invested in other areas.

Golden Nugget

Sour grapes galore here. He is a decent player who could have benefited us with our thin squad. We were too slow or perhaps just reluctant to part with any money at this stage when the club is up for sale
Judging by the transfer thread it’s the opposite. Many weren’t convinced when we were linked to him, but when Liverpool got him, people were outraged.

I haven’t seen him play outside the World Cup - where he seemed to play everywhere but Striker (I may have zoned out due to van Gaal ball) - so for me, he wasn’t what we needed

GMoore23

We have Rashford, Garnacho and Sancho for the LW so it's obvious why the club wouldn't sanction a move for this guy.
A world class CF is top priority followed by a long term replacement for Eriksen.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Klopp’s 2nd stage at clubs like Dortmund and Liverpool seem so underwhelming - like he has no ability to build what he built the first time around.

That’s not writing off Gakpo - but the first squad Klopp built felt like a system - now it just feels like a collection of players.

Rossa

So is the narrative still that Liverpool don't spend money? He may turn out great, who knows. Not sure he was the player United needed. If Sancho gets up to the level we know he can perform at, and Antony beds in the way he has the ability to, I think we have two better wingers in both of them, and then we still have Rashford and Martial. Garnacho and Pellistri are still wild cards, but we are well stocked in the winger department, for once.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I agree with many here. I didn't have a particular issue with the player because I see him moving centrally at some point but that's a massive gamble. His body of work as an inside forward isn't what we needed, since we currently have a better player and we also have a far younger and more promising alternative in Garnacho. Now, I'm curious to see how Klopp will use him.

redsunited

Too early to say we missed out, unless he turns out to be a Mane in left wing or a 20 goal a season center forward.
Ziyech was considered to be an assist machine but flopped big time. Gakpo has time on his side to develop, even if he didnt hit the ground running.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He has great stats so it'll be interesting to see whether he can replicate that at a bigger club.

erikcred

Klopp’s 2nd stage at clubs like Dortmund and Liverpool seem so underwhelming - like he has no ability to build what he built the first time around.

That’s not writing off Gakpo - but the first squad Klopp built felt like a system - now it just feels like a collection of players.
Klopp is too loyal to too many players for far too long. He plays the same 11 very often regardless of form and doesn't quite have SAF's knack of cutting players loose at the right time.

But tbh his loyalty to them is what gets players running through walls for him in the first place, so pros and cons.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
He'll do alright. Though get ready for him to score a couple on debut against someone shit at Anfield and the media circus to go full psycho.

I still chuckle at the media reaction to the El Haji Diouf goals against Southampton at Anfield back around 2001 which led to headlines like "a new star is born" and Liverpool posters on here claiming they'd got a player better than RVN for half the price :lol:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He may not deal with the premier league. Completely different to the Dutch league as Depay found out. Nothing to worry about here.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We have Rashford, Garnacho and Sancho for the LW so it's obvious why the club wouldn't sanction a move for this guy.
A world class CF is top priority followed by a long term replacement for Eriksen.
100%. Signing this guy would have stopped garnacho development and we don’t want that. Garnacho is gonna be a baller. Looks so good at such a young age.

sugar_kane

It’s easy to get FOMO vibes in situations like this but Gakpo was not what we need up top. We need a CF.

With regards to the left wing we’ve got a good set up currently - a high quality starter (Rashford) one hot prospect to keep our starter on his toes and be a capable back up when rest is required (Garnacho) and one who is mainly happy to sit on the bench and play a bit part (Elanga). Martial can play there if needed too. That’s without even considering Sancho.

MadMike

Sour grapes galore here. He is a decent player who could have benefited us with our thin squad. We were too slow or perhaps just reluctant to part with any money at this stage when the club is up for sale
Left wing is a position where, objectively speaking, we're anything but thin. More accurately, we're obese. And adding Gakpo would be akin to to gorging on deep fried Mars bars.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Its never enough for some people. Unless we are top spenders every summer and January people will complain that the manager isn't backed.
It's unbelievable how anyone can think the 5th highest transfer window spend by a club ever and bringing in 6 new players equates to the board letting down the manager

Last edited:

Wheato

Lets look at some facts here.

As reported in the Athletic, United currently have 24m available in the bank, as a consequence of overpaying for Antony in the summer. It is true that Eric Ten Hag wanted both Gakpo and Antony in the summer, but we had our pants pulled down by Ajax.

Since the season has started, Eric Ten Hag has seen the improvement in Marcus Rashford. Gakpo's best position is drifting in from the left. This is also Rashford's best position. It is also Antony Martial's best position. It is also Garnacho's best position. So we currently have 3 players who like to play on the left of a front 3. In current form, would you drop Rashford for Gakpo??

PSV want 50m for Gakpo. We have 24m left. It was never going to happen in January.

So Liverpool have a free run at Gakpo, and good luck to them. They also have Diaz and Jota that play on the left, so they are in a similar situation, but they do not have a Rashford in form and we do.

We need an out an out number 9. A centre forward who can bag 20+ goals and get us to stay in the top 4 until the end of the season. Unless we can get someone in for 24m, we are looking at a loan deal for a decent-ish striker who is coming to the end of their contract. Who is currently in that category?

Karim Benzema
Memphis Depay
Alvaro Morata

Clubs in financial difficulty, who may need to offload players on loan, like Juventus and Atletico Madrid. Vlahovic and Felix are long shots TBF. In all likelihood, we'll probably get Depay as a back up for Martial getting injured.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He'll do alright. Though get ready for him to score a couple on debut against someone shit at Anfield and the media circus to go full psycho.

I still chuckle at the media reaction to the El Haji Diouf goals against Southampton at Anfield back around 2001 which led to headlines like "a new star is born" and Liverpool posters on here claiming they'd got a player better than RVN for half the price :lol:
Pretty sure those were the only 2 goals he scored for them too :lol:

Bondi77

Really this just means that Garnacho will get more playing time which is great. I don’t know whether he will make it here but there is nothing better than seeing such an exciting young prospect giving it a go! If he makes it, we have a star for years. If he does not, we still have Rashford and hopefully Sancho. 40m can be invested in other areas.
I echo that sentiment.

Hughes35

Good signing for them unfortunately.

I can see why we didn't go for him. We don't really need another winger / striker. We need a proper out and out striker.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
If he's even starting regular games once Diaz and Jota are fit I'll be very surprised.
There's so much valuable points they could potentially lose before Luis and Diogo are fit again.
He's also shown versatility which Klopps seems to value in his players.
FSG are romoured to be looking for an exit.
They absolutely must get into Champions League next season.

He could as well be the player who can help United into top 4.

Another plus point is that he has captained PSV in few occasions, so his mentality is fine for someone young.
It's not a bad things to fill your squad with mentally tough players.

Lee565

He could be the difference between us and Liverpool in getting 4th if we decide to just sit on our hands and believe martial will stay fit and stay in good form when we don’t know when sancho will return, we can't expect garnacho to be our saviour already, Anthony has been underwhelming in the past few months and rashford is the only other dependable attacker to score goals based on this season form.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He could be the difference between us and Liverpool in getting 4th if we decide to just sit on our hands and believe martial will stay fit and stay in good form when we don’t know when sancho will return, we can't expect garnacho to be our saviour already, Anthony has been underwhelming in the past few months and rashford is the only other dependable attacker to score goals based on this season form.
I'd rather sit on our hands and believe Martial will stay fit than sign a winger and stick him up front. If we were talking about a quality striker then I could get the tears.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I agree that he wasn’t the correct player for us so I’m not that disappointed to miss out. I think his finishing and striking ability combined with his movement will make him a big success for Klopp and Liverpool though. Could see him being a superstar for them!

Newtonius

Its never enough for some people. Unless we are top spenders every summer and January people will complain that the manager isn't backed.
Well they have, the financials are almost irrelevant at the end of the day its this same structure that is failing us now that has sucked all the money dry trusting managers like Jose and Ole. Ultimately its the lack of planning and mentality, our forward situation was already disasterous before Ronaldo left and they obviously wanted the guy since the summer yet they lose him in one evening out of nowhere to a club who moved quick because of Jota's injury.

But then again what's new with this club thank christ there is a light at the end of the tunnel with an impending sale.

Edit: Remember ETH smiling when asked about him as well? What was that about just makes it even worse.

Last edited:

mctrials23

It's unbelievable how anyone can think the 5th highest transfer window spend by a club ever and bringing in 6 new players equates to the board letting down the manager
Some will say that unless every chink in the teams armour is fixed with a world class talent.

ETH has been heavily backed and he now has to hold up his end of the deal. Are there still large holes in the team? Of course. We probably need to buy another 3-4 top players to be able to compete for the league even if EtH does a cracking job. Have we good a good enough squad to get top 4 and start playing good football? Absolutely.

A manager has to show that he is adding value to deserve repeated backing in the transfer window. Something Ole never did IMO. Klopp adds massive value to his players. Guardiola adds massive value to his players. Thats what the top managers do. That what EtH has to do and he is showing that he is on the right track at the moment.

OverratedOpinion

I am very pleased we didn't sign him.

Rashford, Sancho and Garnacho are all best in the same position he plays and Martial does very well there too.

We need a striker and it felt like a complete 50/50 whether he would suit that position.

Lee565

I'd rather sit on our hands and believe Martial will stay fit than sign a winger and stick him up front. If we were talking about a quality striker then I could get the tears.
It's not so much an out and out striker but a goal scoring attacker, we currently only have two'ish that we can rely on in rashford and possibly martial but his injury record and hot and cold patches does not make him reliable enough, no other club in the top 6 has such a lack of fire power.

Threesus

It's not so much an out and out striker but a goal scoring attacker, we currently only have two'ish that we can rely on in rashford and possibly martial but his injury record and hot and cold patches does not make him reliable enough, no other club in the top 6 has such a lack of fire power.
I would have bought him tbh. We lack goals in the squad and relying on martial in 2022 is a recipe for disaster.