Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

SATA

He was Dutch footballer of the year or something like that last season i read. Is that true? If yes, did he deserve it?

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I've got family and friends living in the Netherlands, both Feyenoord and Ajax, and they all agree on the fact that Anthony is heavily overrated. I don't follow the Eredivisie too much, but they do and they do rate Gakpo, although none of them supports PSV. Quite telling if you ask me.
How does that make him a cnut?

NoLegendary

He was Dutch footballer of the year or something like that last season i read. Is that true? If yes, did he deserve it?
He is the only reason we, in the Netherlands, think that PSV can have a go on CL qualification and put up a fight against Ajax for the title. However, that will make it harder for PSV to sell him and if they do, the price will not be very low.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Are we stacked with left wingers? Rashford starts there and there's still big question marks over him. Sancho has the RW position. We need more quality going forward.
Just the majority of our attackers are all left sided, what happens if sancho gets injured who plays on the right? No one else is comfortable.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Just the majority of our attackers are all left sided, what happens if sancho gets injured who plays on the right? No one else is comfortable.
Agree

Suv666

Talk up. What’s wrong with him.
Dutch defences are so fecking crap its hard to take any attacking player from Eredivise seriously. Maybe he'll be good in the PL maybe not. Impossible to predict.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I’m sorry who are these quality players with these preferences?
Just that we have martial, rashford, Elanga, sancho if needs be can all play on the left. We’ve only got sancho out of them who is just as comfortable on the right. If this guy is versatile then that’s great let’s sign him and have a fluid front 3.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Dutch defences are so fecking crap its hard to take any attacking player from Eredivise seriously. Maybe he'll be good in the PL maybe not. Impossible to predict.
He’s performed well at international and Europa level too. Which like it or not is where we are currently.

Suv666

He’s performed well at international and Europa level too. Which like it or not is where we are currently.
So did Depay but he was crap in the PL.

As I said its impossible to predict. If he was playing well in La Liga or Seria A that would slightly bump up his probability of success but I have no confidence in the Eredivise .

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
There were a few others in with a shout (like Tadic), but he has was outstanding and their best player. As others have said, it's a bit hard to predict how well he'd do in the premier league. His physical strength which kind of sets him apart (along with how tall he is for a winger) in our league won't matter as much there.

SATA

There were a few others in with a shout (like Tadic), but he has was outstanding and their best player. As others have said, it's a bit hard to predict how well he'd do in the premier league. His physical strength which kind of sets him apart (along with how tall he is for a winger) in our league won't matter as much there.
Will he be starting for Holland (as a striker or winger) in the world cup under van Gaal?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
So did Depay but he was crap in the PL.

As I said its impossible to predict. If he was playing well in La Liga or Seria A that would slightly bump up his probability of success but I have no confidence in the Eredivise .
I think Depay was a different kind of player though a lot more individual flashiness and I would argue not as good positionally at the time.

I can understand your reservations as I too have them but I think for the fee it’s a good risk to take as he has the potential to be a 60-70m+ player.

House Mkhitaryan

At the quoted transfer fee, this is big upside with little downside. The kind of transfer where if he doesn't work out after a year or two, we'd still most likely to be able to sell for a decent percentage of the original fee.

The_Midfielder

I think Depay was a different kind of player though a lot more individual flashiness and I would argue not as good positionally at the time.

I can understand your reservations as I too have them but I think for the fee it’s a good risk to take as he has the potential to be a 60-70m+ player.
Memphis came when he was 18.. We thought he was. a lw.. Apparently he is a striker..

OT_United

Not sure about this one. I think the last thing this team needs is another right footed forward / winger.
Diaby at Bayer Leverkusen is worth a bid as we're being priced out by Ajax for Antony.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Will he be starting for Holland (as a striker or winger) in the world cup under van Gaal?
Not likely at this point. Memphis will be starting for sure and next to him there are many options like Bergwijn, Gakpo, Malen and Danjuma. Then Van Gaal could also opt to go for a more typical striker like Luuk de Jong or Weghorst next to Memphis. That does not seem the most likely at the moment though.

Memphis and Bergwijn linked up very well the last few games and that was with Bergwijn playing few minutes for his club. He's now getting regular playing time at Ajax as well. Hence at this point is looks likely that Memphis and Bergwijn will be the two strikers (5-3-2 system) at the WC. There are many contenders though, so wouldnt say that its completely decided yet.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Memphis came when he was 18.. We thought he was. a lw.. Apparently he is a striker..
Which also adds to the pointless nature of comparison here.

Gakpo has just turned 23, is entering his peak, has physical advantages and has had 2 years of high performance and has recently won Eredivise player of the year despite not playing for Ajax. If he’s available for around £30m I think it’s a good pick up and a decent fee for the risk/reward.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I've decided that this transfer is entirely dependant on the outcome of PSV vs Monaco tonight just so I have a match to watch that feels like it has a good bit of jeopardy involved.

AgentP

Atlast we are targeting a player that I would really like us to sign. I feel he’ll be a good addition to our thread bare attack. Quality player.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I've decided that this transfer is entirely dependant on the outcome of PSV vs Monaco tonight just so I have a match to watch that feels like it has a good bit of jeopardy involved.
That's exactly what I'm doing.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Gakpo hattrick and PSV win incoming :wenger:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Wait, so Gakpo is a second choice option after Arnautovic? Are they all on drugs? Who the hell actually preferred Arnautovic??
We were interested in Gakpo beforehand. Gakpo is the backup to Antony as a young high potential but for now, wide option IMO. Morata is more like Arnautović backing up Sesko, who backed up Darwin.

Though Gakpo could be a bit of both as his development will probably lead to being a striker. Noise around him suggests PSV's CL qualifiers are the decider if he stays or leaves, today vs Monaco and then another round of they get past today.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Don't think so actually. Memphis and Bergwijn are nailed on to start and the last position is between Danjuma, Gakpo and Lang with Luuk de Jong and Weghorst being the backup pinchhitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.