Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

daba

Undecided on this one. I get this weird vibe that he might actually turn out really good (like a Mane-level talent) but everything I’ve seen of him seem underwhelming.

I think this only makes sense if one of Ronny or Rashy go.

Godfather

Undecided on this one. I get this weird vibe that he might actually turn out really good (like a Mane-level talent) but everything I’ve seen of him seem underwhelming.

Nothing like Mane sadly. Lacks close control and explosiveness

Dannn411

Never seen an attacker look like a more obvious flop than this guy. I would rather we signed nobody than sign him. He is not even close to ready for the PL.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Cody isn't good enough to be a Man Utd player. If Rashford played for PSV he would look like an absolute superstar. I really hope this deal doesn't go through. Antony I can kind of get behind because ETH worked with him and he's a RW with a really good left foot. Getting Gakpo is just another senseless transfer in an already embarrassingly long list of busts.

Vapor trail

I think it's a good move but I don't think it should be at the expense of missing out on Anthony. If Ronaldo is to leave I think Gakpo, Anthony, Rashford and Sancho are good options in attacking areas with Martial able to contribute if necessary.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Cody isn't good enough to be a Man Utd player. If Rashford played for PSV he would look like an absolute superstar. I really hope this deal doesn't go through. Antony I can kind of get behind because ETH worked with him and he's a RW with a really good left foot. Getting Gakpo is just another senseless transfer in an already embarrassingly long list of busts.
Most if not all Dutch league viewing posters have said the same. Not a signing I’d be particularly pleased with

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Dutch football forum see him as an average footballer who will not do anything crazy to our top 4 hopes. At least in Antony they see the potential/

rbnZz

Too bad Sinisterra already joined Leeds. Malacia & Sinisterra were great last season at Feyenoord. Yes, its Feyenoord but Malacia kinda suprised us, I'm sure Sinisterra would have suprised us aswell. I think he has the same level as Antony but Antony already played in the Champions League and Sinisterra not yet thats why he is not known as Antony.

The biggest difference comparing to the other 2 wingers is: Sinistera was much cheaper, Leeds bought him for only £ 21m.

MarcianoVink

Supports
PSV, the Netherlands
Dutch football forum see him as an average footballer who will not do anything crazy to our top 4 hopes. At least in Antony they see the potential/
Well, i’m one of the Dutch supporters that does not agree on that, and most non-Ajax supporters will agree with me that Gakpo is not just “average”. I’m quiet sure most will choose Gakpo over Anthony in their team if they could choose.

When looking at the stats for the last 2 years (including the first matches of this season) the difference between them is not that big (And even in favour of Gakpo)

In the low-rated Dutch Eredivisie, Anthony played 57 matches in which he scored 18 times and assisted 14 times (0,56 decisive moments per match). Gakpo played 52 matches, in which he scored 21 times and assisted 17 times (0,75 decisive moments per match)

When comparing international matches in that same period, Anthony played 11 CL matches, in which he scored 3 times, he also played 6 EL matches, he scored 0 goals. Gakpo played 11 CL (qualification) matches and scored 2 goals, and added 6 goals in 9 performances in the EL.

Yes, Anthony looks more spectacular, likes to dribble a lot and is a good player, but Gakpo simply has other qualities. The question United has to ask itself is: do you want to pay more then 80mln Euro’s for a spectacular, dribbling right sided Neymar-style, and character winger, or do you prefer a left-sided precise shooting winger For around 50 mln Euro’s?

Rumors say Ajax will probably get Hakim Ziyech back if Anthony leaves for United. Most supporters are hoping that will happen, They rate Ziyech higher then Anthony.

If you ask me both Anthony and Gakpo are not good enough for the standards United should go for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Watching his highlights on the tube reminds me of a Rashford with self-confidence. Shooting, passes, ball carrying, dribbling, running, the pace and even how they handle their body. He also seems to be best when he starts his dribbles from the left side, same as Rashford/Martial/Sancho/Elanga unfortunately. Been watching 3-4 videos, all 10 min+ and I have not seen him play as a nr 9 once. So where is he supposed to play?

Antony is the only RW on the market right now as I see it. But our problem offensively is still that we need a number 9.

Ekeke

Rashford and I guess Depay highlights before he came in are what I think of when I see him too. However, my first experience with Depay was watching him in a young PSV side in the champions league. I think they might have been playing Inter or someone like that. Anyway Ajax got a couple of freekicks from 30-40 yards out and he kept shooting and never looked like he was going to score. So that was my added context for Depay, before knowing he was doing great in the netherlands and then the highlights video before he signed.

My feeling from watching Gakpo highlights is... I dont think we need this type of player. We have Rashford and Martial for some fast ball running, Sancho a bit too. We need cleverness and creativity to create chances at a good rate and goalscorers. Thats isolating what we need in attack from the midfield and defence.

Gakpo looks like the players we were collecting or developing from our previous Mourinho sort of era where we were able to hit teams on the break at high speed and get those counter goals. Unless he's a direct replacement for Rashford or Martial leaving right this moment then I'm certainly not convinced by this one

Abraxas

I think the big draw of going for this guy is he has generally scored goals in his career and we're light on them from wide areas. Even for Holland he's scored a few already. How many are we really going to get from Sancho and Rashford this season? It's anyone's guess but it would be mildly surprising if either scored 10 league goals.

I don't like that he's seemingly better from the left, though.

croadyman

I think the big draw of going for this guy is he has generally scored goals in his career and we're light on them from wide areas. Even for Holland he's scored a few already. How many are we really going to get from Sancho and Rashford this season? It's anyone's guess but it would be mildly surprising if either scored 10 league goals.

I don't like that he's seemingly better from the left, though.
Yeah it's a RW we really need, don't think there is any truth in Romano saying him & Antony are separate deals.

meamth

Well, i’m one of the Dutch supporters that does not agree on that, and most non-Ajax supporters will agree with me that Gakpo is not just “average”. I’m quiet sure most will choose Gakpo over Anthony in their team if they could choose.

When looking at the stats for the last 2 years (including the first matches of this season) the difference between them is not that big (And even in favour of Gakpo)

In the low-rated Dutch Eredivisie, Anthony played 57 matches in which he scored 18 times and assisted 14 times (0,56 decisive moments per match). Gakpo played 52 matches, in which he scored 21 times and assisted 17 times (0,75 decisive moments per match)

When comparing international matches in that same period, Anthony played 11 CL matches, in which he scored 3 times, he also played 6 EL matches, he scored 0 goals. Gakpo played 11 CL (qualification) matches and scored 2 goals, and added 6 goals in 9 performances in the EL.

Yes, Anthony looks more spectacular, likes to dribble a lot and is a good player, but Gakpo simply has other qualities. The question United has to ask itself is: do you want to pay more then 80mln Euro’s for a spectacular, dribbling right sided Neymar-style, and character winger, or do you prefer a left-sided precise shooting winger For around 50 mln Euro’s?

Rumors say Ajax will probably get Hakim Ziyech back if Anthony leaves for United. Most supporters are hoping that will happen, They rate Ziyech higher then Anthony.

If you ask me both Anthony and Gakpo are not good enough for the standards United should go for.
Thank you for this.

I genuinely believe flair players don't generally work in the PL. There are some exceptions, like Mahrez.

Technically precise wingers are the one I'd go for if I were to pick between the two. Hoping we get Gakpo instead of Anthony.

chb23

Looks good here
Looks pretty crap TBH

Did nothing at all. Used his pace to beat players, didn't seem like he had any tricks up his sleeve.

Looked as one footed as Valencia was. End ball was pretty bad too.

SoulSurvivor

Supports
Ajax
Damn.... Ten Hag... wtf is wrong with this dude

Gakpo is just a Dutch Rashford. Don't do it Erik.
Not saying he's bad. He's actually pretty great.
But he's simply not good enough for Man United.

He will not add anything to the current squad. He isn't better than Rashford or Sancho.
Just a waste of money imo.

Telsim

Damn.... Ten Hag... wtf is wrong with this dude

Gakpo is just a Dutch Rashford. Don't do it Erik.
Not saying he's bad. He's actually pretty great.
But he's simply not good enough for Man United.

He will not add anything to the current squad. He isn't better than Rashford or Sancho.
Just a waste of money imo.
You are just angling for that Antony fee, aren't you? :lol:

izec

Would rather Anthony for 80m than Gakpo for 40m. Too one dimensional, think he will be a flop, average squad player at best. We need something different and someone better.

Mahlen flopping at Dortmund tells you the level of these Dutch forwards.

Kostov

Could we not get Gakpo this year and Antony next? There is no way this guy is rated at 40m while Antony Ajax rete at 100m. Is Antony even better?

Thiagoal

We really do no need ANOTHER left forward! Rashford, Sancho, Martial and even Ronaldo are more than capable playing there. Add in one of the top young prospects in the league (Garnacho) it would be a crazy decision when our Right Forward is basically Sancho.

Infra-red

Moussa Diaby is reportedly available for a bit more than Gakpo (and a lot less than Antony) and is a better player than either of them. Left-footed, right-sided wide forward - exactly what EtH wants. I think we need to look a little wider than the Eredivisie.

croadyman

Would rather Anthony for 80m than Gakpo for 40m. Too one dimensional, think he will be a flop, average squad player at best. We need something different and someone better.

Mahlen flopping at Dortmund tells you the level of these Dutch forwards.
Totally agree with that

croadyman

Moussa Diaby is reportedly available for a bit more than Gakpo (and a lot less than Antony) and is a better player than either of them. Left-footed, right-sided wide forward - exactly what EtH wants. I think we need to look a little wider than the Eredivisie.
We don't seem Interested

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Big drop down in quality from Antony. This might just be a bluff to make Ajax accept our bid for Antony.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Would love this signing! Watched one of there games the other week and he destroyed like 3 players. The bundesliga is more competitive then the Dutch league aswell so he’d be use to a lot more competition.

Infra-red

We don't seem Interested
He was mentioned yesterday in The Telegraph as a player "with admirers at the club", together with Gakpo, Pulisic and Carrasco. He'd cost £60m, but he would be a big threat from the right, which is something we've not really had since I don't even know when (Valencia cira 2013?).

Phil Osophy

I've been watching some compilations and overall I'm still not impressed but I found something interesting. He played a game against Wales with the NT through the middle as a number 10 or false 9 and he had a decent showing, even elegant in some spells and scoring a good goal.

He seems to have both the technique and the physical presence to receive in congested zones and he seems capable of protecting the ball some extra seconds to find a teammate under pressure. As simple as it sounds this is not something that our players can do regularly except Martial.

As I said previously I'm not in a position to judge the player deeply but he seems too quiet overall to make it in England as a productive winger or a reference striker. But there's conditions there to build a good supportive forward who drops a little bit and can enable the wingers/midfielders.

His shooting technique seems to be his best attribute from what I've seen by now, so he could add his goals here and there. But at first look it doesn't look like he'd score a big amount in the PL as he seems to lack the nerve and instincts of a natural goalscorer who puts himself in the best positions by aggressive movement and willingness to take risks.

So it could make sense to transform him like Klopp did with Firmino, who by the way didn't score a single goal at Antield when they won the PL (I think in the last week of that season he scored one, maybe) but we know the important role he played so their two wide demons could make the difference.

The problem I see is that we seem to lack that dynamite. We can't rely on current Rashford to produce, and I doubt about Sancho ever reaching the goalscoring numbers he had in Germany. Even Antony if we sign him doesn't seem to be scoring much despite taking a decent amount of shots going by statistics.

Our team seems a proper headache and the solutions brought to the table are not convincing from many angles, including the big fees mentioned. I'm fine with overpaying for Casemiro, but this Gakpo/Antony thing looks like we're self limiting ourselves at choosing our options, and by spending big money for two half-cooked assets with that pressure on their shoulders we could be playing with fire here. We'll see.

Rolaholic

Really does sound like we're trying for both Antony and Gakpo rather than one or the other

angak

I honestly don't see anything in him. I've watched hours of video and he is very underwhelming. His change of pace isn't elite. Close control, 1v1 isn't elite. Pace is ok. Has a good left foot and even that isn't crazy good.

This would be a very bad singing and the issue with just trusting the manager. He is not a scout.

angak

I've been watching some compilations and overall I'm still not impressed but I found something interesting. He played a game against Wales with the NT through the middle as a number 10 or false 9 and he had a decent showing, even elegant in some spells and scoring a good goal.

He seems to have both the technique and the physical presence to receive in congested zones and he seems capable of protecting the ball some extra seconds to find a teammate under pressure. As simple as it sounds this is not something that our players can do regularly except Martial.

As I said previously I'm not in a position to judge the player deeply but he seems too quiet overall to make it in England as a productive winger or a reference striker. But there's conditions there to build a good supportive forward who drops a little bit and can enable the wingers/midfielders.

His shooting technique seems to be his best attribute from what I've seen by now, so he could add his goals here and there. But at first look it doesn't look like he'd score a big amount in the PL as he seems to lack the nerve and instincts of a natural goalscorer who puts himself in the best positions by aggressive movement and willingness to take risks.

So it could make sense to transform him like Klopp did with Firmino, who by the way didn't score a single goal at Antield when they won the PL (I think in the last week of that season he scored one, maybe) but we know the important role he played so their two wide demons could make the difference.

The problem I see is that we seem to lack that dynamite. We can't rely on current Rashford to produce, and I doubt about Sancho ever reaching the goalscoring numbers he had in Germany. Even Antony if we sign him doesn't seem to be scoring much despite taking a decent amount of shots going by statistics.

Our team seems a proper headache and the solutions brought to the table are not convincing from many angles, including the big fees mentioned. I'm fine with overpaying for Casemiro, but this Gakpo/Antony thing looks like we're self limiting ourselves at choosing our options, and by spending big money for two half-cooked assets with that pressure on their shoulders we could be playing with fire here. We'll see.

Good analysis.

I really hope we don't make this signing. He looks like a poor man's Rashford.

Status
Not open for further replies.