Cold War against China?

RedDevilQuebecois

Couldn't care any less. Let her do what plenty of politicians from lots of countries have done long before. Besides, the text mentioned it: Pelosi has been a very vocal critic of China ever since the Tiananmen Square massacre.

And if China has a problem, why don't they visit other countries, groups and organizations that have something against the US? Russia even flew a long-range bomber and landed in Venezuela to show "support" for Maduro in the midst of Western pressure against the Maduro regime. It's all fair game in geopolitics. In any case, anything to piss off c*ntface Zhao Lijian is fine by me although I admit the US needs its own version of him at times.

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Surprised this haven’t been touched upon. Biden and Xi had a very terse 2 hour exchange apparently over Pelosi’s scheduled trip to Taiwan.
USD Ronald Reagan for Taiwan but I don’t think Chinese will back down like the did at the turn of the century.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Surprised this haven’t been touched upon. Biden and Xi had a very terse 2 hour exchange apparently over Pelosi’s scheduled trip to Taiwan.
USD Ronald Reagan for Taiwan but I don’t think Chinese will back down like the did at the turn of the century.
Very different read outs of the call from both sides as well

I see Pelosi didn't include Taiwan on her official itinerary... perhaps she goes there as an individual rather than in any official capacity?

I see the massive usa funding for semi conductor factories as basically usa realising its a matter of when not of china takes full control.

Paxi

Very different read outs of the call from both sides as well

I see Pelosi didn't include Taiwan on her official itinerary... perhaps she goes there as an individual rather than in any official capacity?

I see the massive usa funding for semi conductor factories as basically usa realising its a matter of when not of china takes full control.
That is the case - she’s the speaker so not part of official government administration of US.

Water Melon

Pelosi's flight SPAR19 is the most tracked one on flightradar24 right now. Taiwan's fighter jets have taken off from Chiayi Air base. They will probably accompany her. Let's see China's reaction.

Paxi

Paxi

I don’t think there will be any sanctions against China from anyone. The collective West, (USA ) will have to act unilaterally, militarily or not at all.

Sadly I don’t thing there is an off-ramp for Blinken, Sullivan - midterms are coming and Dems will have horrendous results imo. I think 97 crisis in the Taiwan straight is what they’re going for, except China, Xi and the geopolitical sphere has left US in the nether realm.

maximus419

If countries have sanctions on both Russia and China - it would be economic suicide. We’ve seen the chaos that was caused by the delay of goods. Imagine if they had stopped manufacturing. Apple can pull out of Russia but not China. And by the same token - hundreds and maybe thousands of other companies. It would be an economic catastrophe.
We are already gonna be at that point soon enough anyway. Energy prices are going to destroy millions of jobs as knock of effect is going to cause a huge ripple.

Seems to me the worldwide economy is buggered, no chance of saving it at this point, so that's why all these global powers are taking territory. They need land and resources for what comes afterwards.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I wasn't quite aware how vulnerable China is with regards to energy imports.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So...Pelosi likely to visit Taiwan according to today's reports. China's response will be interesting to say the least. Personally I'm not expecting much, I think the Chinese will let this one slide and maybe test a couple of rockets but they're smart enough to avoid escalation.

Then again, I was guaranteeing people that Russia wouldn't invade Ukraine so there's that.

Last edited:

RedDevilQuebecois

Rumor is that China will try to establish a no fly zone over Taiwan after she lands.
Carrier Strike Group 5 may already be in the vicinity between Japan and Taiwan by then. We will see if the PLAAF still wants to enforce a no fly zone if Super Hornets fly around.

Winnie the Pooh is such a fecking baby when the geopolitics game is what it is. He has every right to get acquainted with other entities that have something against the US or the West anywhere in the world; it's all fair game in geopolitics.

Rajma

China is just like Russia, all bluff no substance. They’ll do feck all and it’s about the time these regimes get exposed. It’s very easy to hide behind a fear spreading propaganda cloud but when challenged they go back with a tail between their legs.

Last edited:

Water Melon

Pelosi is about to land in Taipei. China will do nothng me thinks.

Last edited by a moderator:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Not worried at all. The Chinese are smart enough not to escalate this too much, though they might do something small-scale for domestic propaganda purposes.

Rajma

:lol: As always with these dictatorship bluffers when they up against a serious power all they can do apart from flashy videos and intimidation through propaganda is to strongly condemn.

Simbo

:lol: Why can't people just not be twats ay

Spark

China is just like Russia, all bluff no substance. They’ll do feck all and it’s about the time these regimes get exposed. It’s very easy to hide behind a fear spreading propaganda cloud but when challenged they go back with a tail between their legs.
We should look to cooperate at a top level, but their growing belligerence is in my opinion tied directly to the current internal pressure that China is facing re: lockdowns and general financial crises old Xi finds himself in.

In cases like this we just need to tell them to do one. They surely won't start a war they know will only adversely affect them (assuming they're not totally deluded, like Russia).

RedDevilQuebecois

They surely won't start a war they know will only adversely affect them (assuming they're not totally deluded, like Russia).
The only thing though is that Xi holds the greatest concentration of power into one person in China since Mao Zedong himself. That could be extremely dangerous just like Putin gathered all executive power to himself and got rid of his rivals one by one over the years leading up to the invasion of Ukraine. If Xi feels that his own legitimacy is at risk, he might do something reckless just like so many other dictators/juntas of the past did when they were on their last legs.

Foxbatt

You don't need to be on last legs to illegally invade another country. George Bush and Tony Blair did it.

RedDevilQuebecois

I mean why is every country basically Andrew Tate? Insecure, posturing, all talk and no trousers.
In China's case, it's a long-standing habit of wanting to save face at all costs (for domestic consumption) even if it means going to such extremes. I know that the notion of saving face/avoiding shame matters a lot in Asian cultures, but it is a whole different level with China.

Sweet Square

I mean why is every country basically Andrew Tate? Insecure, posturing, all talk and no trousers.
In China's case, it's a long-standing habit of wanting to save face at all costs (for domestic consumption) even if it means going to such extremes. I know that the notion of saving face/avoiding shame matters a lot in Asian cultures, but it is a whole different level with China.
It’s the nukes, lads. It’s just the nukes.

neverdie

russia invaded ukraine. you would hope that china isn't just like russia or else you'll see an invasion of taiwan.

Rajma

russia invaded ukraine. you would hope that china isn't just like russia or else you'll see an invasion of taiwan.
Yes, they invaded Ukraine because they expected no pushback Enstein. When confronted these dictatorships fold, why do you think Russia is not targeting weapon deliveries from the west despite all the nuclear fear mongering at the beginning? China will invade Taiwan unless they see a strong stance from the US, same thing should have happened with the Ukraine and Russia would have never invaded.

neverdie

Yes, they invaded Ukraine because they expected no pushback Enstein. When confronted these dictatorships fold, why do you think Russia is not targeting weapon deliveries from the west despite all the nuclear fear mongering at the beginning?
you said china is like russia and all bluff. i'm saying russia invaded ukraine and so clearly wasn't all bluff. if china takes russia's lead, then they'll invade taiwan.

Rajma

you said china is like russia and all bluff. i'm saying russia invaded ukraine and so clearly wasn't all bluff. if china takes russia's lead, then they'll invade taiwan.
They bluffed all the way after the war started