Cold War against China?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
From what I've seen, the Chinese narrative is that a unipolar world isn't healthy and that power needs to be balanced out more. Hard to disagree with any of that.
You can disagree if you are the US because the only reason China has that narrative is because they are now "close" to the US and believe that they deserve a larger share of the global pie. While the logic is sound, it's a self centered logic that is only acceptable for the one that isn't at the top.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
It depends on how loose one is at defining the term war but the cold war wasn't really a war. Now it's rare that two countries with similar strength don't engage in a diplomatic struggle and try to gain more influence than the other, it doesn't really has to be superpowers.
Not in terms of open war between the superpowers themselves, but in its entirety the Cold War was a constant succession of devastating "hot" wars & internal conflicts between their allies and proxies, partly involving the army of one superpower directly.

So I go with the post you quoted, "war of some kind" was a main characteristic of the US/USSR rivalry. It was just that MAD prevented escalation beyond a certain point.

Balljy

And we are on a globe, everything is at the west and the east at the same time.
In my stupidity it amazed me to learn that the US and Russia are 2.5 miles apart (and around 50 miles across the Bering Strait)

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Personally I don't have a problem with China becoming (or already being) a superpower with huge influence - can they be any worse than America has been with their influence on the world? I highly doubt it. Also, we probably can't do anything about it so why worry? Best get into bed with them like everyone else will.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
In my stupidity it amazed me to learn that the US and Russia are 2.5 miles apart (and around 50 miles across the Bering Strait)
Yep. Beyond little and big Diomedie, you can apparently see the Russian mainland from US mainland in Wales AK.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I'm receiving this book in a few days to educate myself on the topic. It's gotten very good reviews.

The Firestarter

Personally I don't have a problem with China becoming (or already being) a superpower with huge influence - can they be any worse than America has been with their influence on the world? I highly doubt it. Also, we probably can't do anything about it so why worry? Best get into bed with them like everyone else will.
What a ridiculous take. Surely you would prefer something that still resembles a democracy than a totalitarian regime , if you had the option to choose ?
Anyway , make sure you start on your Mandarin lessons if you want to get into that bed early.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What a ridiculous take. Surely you would prefer something that still resembles a democracy than a totalitarian regime , if you had the option to choose ?
Anyway , make sure you start on your Mandarin lessons if you want to get into that bed early.
It's a realistic take. China are well on the way to being a superpower and America is on the wane. You can either stick your head in the sand and pretend it isn't happening or you can engage with them and try to make the most of it. You might not like how China's government works but we are well in bed with the likes of Saudi Arabia and I don't see them as being much better so let's not kid ourselves here. You can throw your hands up and be disgusted if you want but the reality is that as China's influence grows you are probably better off in the long term accepting it because damned sure you can't change it.

By the way learning Mandarin would be an excellent thing to do if you were young and looking for potential lucrative employment/investment opportunities so it's a bit odd that you would suggest it as some sort of proof that I'm being ridiculous.

The Firestarter

It's a realistic take. China are well on the way to being a superpower and America are on the wane. You can either stick your head in the sand and pretend it isn't happening or you can engage with them and try to make the most of it. You might not like how China's government works but we are well in bed with the likes of Saudi Arabia and I don't see them as being much better so let's not kid ourselves here.
Making "most of it" purely for profit reasons is what has led to the current situation. They should have never been allowed into the WTO with their human rights record.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Making "most of it" purely for profit reasons is what has led to the current situation. They should have never been allowed into the WTO with their human rights record.
Perhaps not, but they were. I prefer to deal with the reality of the situation rather than getting hysterical about hypotheticals.

Gehrman

It's a realistic take. China are well on the way to being a superpower and America is on the wane. You can either stick your head in the sand and pretend it isn't happening or you can engage with them and try to make the most of it. You might not like how China's government works but we are well in bed with the likes of Saudi Arabia and I don't see them as being much better so let's not kid ourselves here. You can throw your hands up and be disgusted if you want but the reality is that as China's influence grows you are probably better off in the long term accepting it because damned sure you can't change it.

By the way learning Mandarin would be an excellent thing to do if you were young and looking for potential lucrative employment/investment opportunities so it's a bit odd that you would suggest it as some sort of proof that I'm being ridiculous.
It really depends on what the CCP's ambitions are. Personally I want the chinese people to be rich and healthy, but it comes down to what it's goverment inlfluence wants over the rest of us. My father and grandfather had to watch their family friends be strangled to death by Mao's redguard during the cultural revolution and then they were stripped of all their possesions and thrown unto the streets on India. It's always left a rather cold attitude towards the CCP in our family.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It really depends on what the CCP's ambitions are. Personally I want the chinese people to be rich and healthy, but it comes down to what it's goverment inlfluence wants over the rest of us.
That's a more balanced take on it and yes I agree, however people tend to always assume the worst. Will China's influence in the world be any worse than Americas? We don't know that answer yet but it would need to be pretty awful to match America.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Im not sure thats ever a consideration of the WTO...

WTO Accession Process
Accession process[edit]

A country wishing to accede to the WTO submits an application to the General Council. The government applying for membership has to describe all aspects of its trade and economic policies that have a bearing on WTO agreements.[2] The application is submitted to the WTO in a memorandum which is examined by a working party open to all interested WTO Members, and dealing with the country's application. For large countries such as Russia, numerous countries participate in this process. For smaller countries, the Quadrilateral group of members—consisting of the United States, Canada, Japan, and the European Union—and an applicant's neighboring countries are typically most involved.[12] The applicant then presents a detailed memorandum to the Working Party on its foreign trade regime, describing, among other things, its economy, economic policies, domestic and international trade regulations, and intellectual property policies. The Working Party Members submit written questions to the applicant to clarify aspects of its foreign trade regime with particular attention being paid to the degree of privatization in the economy and the extent to which government regulation is transparent.[13] After all necessary background information has been acquired, the Working Party will begin meeting to focus on issues of discrepancy between the WTO rules and the Applicant's international and domestic trade policies and laws. The WP determines the terms and conditions of entry into the WTO for the applicant nation, and may consider transitional periods to allow countries some leeway in complying with the WTO rules.[3]

The final phase of accession involves bilateral negotiations between the applicant nation and other Working Party members regarding the concessions and commitments on tariff levels and market access for goods and services. These talks cover tariff rates and specific market access commitments, and other policies in goods and services. The new member's commitments are to apply equally to all WTO members under normal non-discrimination rules, even though they are negotiated bilaterally. In other words, the talks determine the benefits (in the form of export opportunities and guarantees) other WTO members can expect when the new member joins. The talks can be highly complicated; it has been said that in some cases the negotiations are almost as large as an entire round of multilateral trade negotiations.[2]

When the bilateral talks conclude, the working party finalizes the terms of accession, sends an accession package, which includes a summary of all the WP meetings, the Protocol of Accession (a draft membership treaty), and lists ("schedules") of the member-to-be's commitments to the General Council or Ministerial Conference. Once the General Council or Ministerial Conference approves of the terms of accession, the applicant's parliament must ratify the Protocol of Accession before it can become a member.[14] The documents used in the accession process which are embargoed during the accession process are released once the nation becomes a member.[3]
By the way there are only 14 countries not members of the WTO

Only 14 countries are not WTO members. These nations do not wish to become members. They are Aruba, Eritrea, Kiribati, Kosovo, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Monaco, Nauru, North Korea, Palau, the Palestinian Territories, San Marino, Sint Maarten, and Tuvalu.

The Firestarter

Im not sure thats ever a consideration of the WTO...

WTO Accession Process

By the way there are only 14 countries not members of the WTO
Yet they were admitted in 2001. I remember there were quite a bit of deliberations about this.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
That's a more balanced take on it and yes I agree, however people tend to always assume the worst. Will China's influence in the world be any worse than Americas? We don't know that answer yet but it would need to be pretty awful to match America.
Is it so easy to forget that, without the USA, the UK could not have defeated Nazi Germany by itself? Or that, without the Americans, post-war Soviet Russia would likely have occupied most of Western Europe?

American influence has not all been about the Vietnam war, or propping up far-right governments in South and Central America.

China is a totalitarian, expansionist state. The USA is not.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Is it so easy to forget that, without the USA, the UK could not have defeated Nazi Germany by itself? Or that, without the Americans, post-war Soviet Russia would likely have occupied most of Western Europe?

American influence has not all been about the Vietnam war, or propping up far-right governments in South and Central America.

China is a totalitarian, expansionist state. The USA is not.
The second world war was won because of Russia much more than the USA (who mostly wanted to pull out of the war and very reluctantly got involved in the first place). American influence has been both good and bad but mostly very, very bad in my view and in the view of most of it's neighbours.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
There's a third country which did most of the heavy lifting that you're forgetting here.
Do you mean Stalinist Russia, which earlier had entered into a treaty with the Nazis whereby they could divide up Europe between them?

Russia only fought against the Nazis when that treaty was dumped and Germany invaded them.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Do you mean Stalinist Russia, which earlier had entered into a treaty with the Nazis whereby they could divide up Europe between them?

Russia only fought against the Nazis when that treaty was dumped and Germany invaded them.
Similar to America then by not wanting to get involved till Pearl Harbour? Only that the Russians utterly defeated the Nazi's on the Eastern Front which ended the war. The UK were effectively on their knees and America was actively looking a way out of the War. Without Russia the Nazi's would likely have won.

JPRouve

Scout

And the US only entered the war in 1941 after the Pearl Harbor attack.

Dante

Average bang
But the US's Internal politics are very different from its external politics.

America might be a democracy within its own borders, but it has no problem propping dictatorships or even creating them out of scratch in foreign lands. Its main concern is about maintaining military hegemony, which itself is a hangover from the days of trying to contain the USSR. The US has arguably been a force against freedom and democracy in the developing world after WW2.

China might be autocracy, but its overriding policy is to maximise profits through trade. A long history of cultural isolationism means they don't care how foreign nations conduct themselves.

For a self-proclaimed 'world policeman', the US barely give a feck about the people their policing. China are more likely to be a 'world transfer agent' who wants to facilitate trade.

Gehrman

WW2 complexities aside, I'm very happy my country remained on the western bloc and didn't end up on the other side of the Iron Curtain during the Cold War. In a world of greater and lesser evils I would much rather be allied with the US rather than China. Also feck China for what they did and still do to do the Tibetan People.

Last edited:

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
And the US only entered the war in 1941 after the Pearl Harbor attack.
True. But unlike Russia they had not previously aided and abetted Nazi Germany. And unlike Stalinist Russia, they did not murder 20 million of their own citizens.

JPRouve

Scout

America might be a democracy within its own borders, but it has no problem propping dictatorships or even creating them out of scratch in foreign lands. Its main concern is about maintaining military hegemony, which itself is a hangover from the days of trying to contain the USSR. The US has arguably been a force against freedom and democracy in the developing world after WW2.

China might be autocracy, but its overriding policy is to maximise profits through trade. A long history of cultural isolationism means they don't care how foreign nations conduct themselves.

For a self-proclaimed 'world policeman', the US barely give a feck about the people their policing. China are more likely to be a 'world transfer agent' who wants to facilitate trade.
China. The Raiola of geopolitics. :lol:

JPRouve

Scout
True. But unlike Russia they had not previously aided and abetted Nazi Germany. And unlike Stalinist Russia, they did not murder 20 million of their own citizens.
No, they helped dictators do these things across the globe using their intelligence services and Armies. Lets be serious for one second here, the US have had a terrible influence outside of their borders and they caused deep and long misery on millions of people, now it's fair to mention their sidekicks, France and the UK, who have been happy to help them.

And anyway that wasn't the point, the USSR was the main reason Nazi Germany lost the war.

Balljy

That's so true. The whole debate on the US blocking trade with China was based on the inability to react to the likes of Huawei and xenophobia in my opinion. How the US could attempt to kill a huge company while pretending they were proponents of free trade was beyond me. The only argument they had was "data" which is why the US want the sector anyway.

China has obvious internal problems and does stuff that most of us don't agree with, but you don't exactly have to go far to see Western countries doing pretty despicable things both within the respective countries and globally.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Why does your causal reasoning stop there? If you go further back, you'll see that one of the reasons why Stalin entered into this agreement was the realization that if the Western powers were happy to sell out their democratic ally Czechoslovakia to Hitler, they wouldn't hesitate to do so to the Soviet Union later. The Soviet Union, at least officially, were quite prepared to confront Hitler before the Treaty of Munich.

Now obviously they weren't really ready, and at that point neither was Germany (or the UK, France, Poland, Italy, or anyone else). There was also definitely an element of dividing Europe up between them in Molotov-Ribbentrop, but in the end Germany was largely defeated by the Soviet Union.

Edit: I should add, the Soviet leadership were also probably thinking back to the Russian Civil War, when the Western powers who were now looking for their help sent armies into Russia to assist the Whites.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
No, they helped dictators do these things across the globe using their intelligence services and Armies. Lets be serious for one second here, the US have had a terrible influence outside of their borders and they caused deep and long misery on millions of people, now it's fair to mention their sidekicks, France and the UK, who have been happy to help them.

And anyway that wasn't the point, the USSR was the main reason Nazi Germany lost the war.
No, Hitler's decision to invade Russia was the biggest reason why Nazi Germany lost the war. Otherwise Stalin would have been quite happy to continue dividing up Europe with the Nazis.

And without the USA and UK, if Russia had defeated Germany by itself, it would then have gone on to occupy much of Western Europe ... which under Stalin would have meant countless millions more people being murdered.

JPRouve

Scout
No, Hitler's decision to invade Russia was the biggest reason why Nazi Germany lost the war. Otherwise Stalin would have been quite happy to continue dividing up Europe with the Nazis.

And without the USA and UK, if Russia had defeated Germany by itself, it would then have gone on to occupy much of Western Europe ... which under Stalin would have meant countless millions more people being murdered.
Do you follow the same logic with Japan and destroy your first claim?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Lots of discounting of the lend-lease act here. Just so you all recall this is what the US sent the Soviets to help battle Hitler between 1941 and 1945.
  • 400,000 jeeps & trucks
  • 14,000 airplanes
  • 8,000 tractors
  • 13,000 tanks
  • 1.5 million blankets
  • 15 million pairs of army boots
  • 107,000 tons of cotton
  • 2.7 million tons of petrol products
  • 4.5 million tons of food

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Does China have clear allies?

It's one thing becoming a superpower but even the US needs the likes of Canada, UK, France and Australia+NZ to get things done and coordinate operations.

China on its own can't do that. Having India as an enemy also will be a problem to them.

JPRouve

Scout
Lots of discounting of the lend-lease act here. Just so you all recall this is what the US sent the Soviets to help battle Hitler between 1941 and 1945.
  • 400,000 jeeps & trucks
  • 14,000 airplanes
  • 8,000 tractors
  • 13,000 tanks
  • 1.5 million blankets
  • 107,000 tons of cotton
No is suggesting that the US didn't play a major part but without the USSR actually putting the manpower of the eastern front, the 15m of army boots aren't beating the Nazis.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
No is suggesting that the US didn't play a major part but without the USSR actually putting the manpower of the eastern front, the 15m of army boots aren't beating the Nazis.
Without the equipment, 7.5 million shoeless infantry aren't beating the Nazi's either.

nimic

something nice
Scout
  • 400,000 jeeps & trucks
  • 14,000 airplanes
  • 8,000 tractors
  • 13,000 tanks
  • 1.5 million blankets
  • 107,000 tons of cotton
Who has been discounting the lend-lease? Just because someone's not talking about the US saving Europe for once, doesn't mean they're actively slighting the US war effort. Lend-lease was big.