Cold War against China?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't follow your logic that him destroying his own argument when you brought up Japan.
The US entered the war after the Peal Harbor attack by Japan.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The US entered the war after the Peal Harbor attack by Japan.
I never disputed that. I'm confused about how you feel that undermines the point he was making.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Who has been discounting the lend-lease? Just because someone's not talking about the US saving Europe for once, doesn't mean they're actively slighting the US war effort. Lend-lease was big.
Saying the USSR was the reason the Nazis lost discounts the impact of lend-lease.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Do you follow the same logic with Japan and destroy your first claim?
The USA could have just fought against Japan and stayed out of the European theatre - they didn't.

Russia only fought against the Nazis because they were invaded. America fought against the Nazis without having been invaded. Yes, it would have been better if they had entered the European war earlier, but at least they did so for reasons of less self-interest than Russia.

And both the UK and the USA provided tremendous support for Russia in their fight against Germany.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Saying the USSR was the reason the Nazis lost discounts the impact of lend-lease.
No one said that either, though. I said they did the heavy lifting, and @JPRouve said they were the main reason. Both of those are true, and can still be true even if obviously lend-lease was significant, and the US did a lot of heavy lifting in the Pacific and on the Western Front, and the UK as well (Edit: and China against Japan, and partisans, etc. There's a lot of credit to go around).

Zlatattack

The Chinese won't invade anyone. They might eventually in 30-40 years use military force to take territory they claim as their own, but as the recent stand-off with the Indians in Ladakh has shown, the Chinese have no appetite for large scale conflict ATM. They're playing it smart, they could have militarily defeated India, but the damage that the Indians would have caused their economy, infrastructure and military would have set China back decades. They want to consolidate power before they do anything else.

JPRouve

Scout
I never disputed that. I'm confused about how you feel that undermines the point he was making.
He denies the importance of the USSR because they only entered the war due to Germany, he should follow the same logic with the US who only entered the war due to Japan.

The USA could have just fought against Japan and stayed out of the European theatre - they didn't.

Russia only fought against the Nazis because they were invaded. America fought against the Nazis without having been invaded. Yes, it would have been better if they had entered the European war earlier, but at least they did so for reasons of less self-interest than Russia.

And both the UK and the USA provided tremendous support for Russia in their fight against Germany.
They couldn't because Japan, Italy and Germany were allies through the Tripartite pact, when they attacked one, they attacked all of them. Germany declared war on the US after the US declared war on Japan.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Germany declared war on them.
So what? Germany was 3,000 miles of sea away from the nearest USA coastline. There's no way that Germany was going to be able to threaten the USA mainland.

So, I repeat, the USA could have stayed out of the European theatre indefinitely and simply focused everything on Japan, who had actually attacked them. They chose not to.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
No one said that either, though. I said they did the heavy lifting, and @JPRouve said they were the main reason. Both of those are true, and can still be true even if obviously lend-lease was significant, and the US did a lot of heavy lifting in the Pacific and on the Western Front, and the UK as well (Edit: and China against Japan, and partisans, etc. There's a lot of credit to go around).
To be fair, if I had issue with your post about heavy lifting I would have quoted you but JP is guilty of the sin of omission and must be flogged to earn his penance.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So what? Germany was 3,000 miles of sea away from the nearest USA coastline. There's no way that Germany was going to be able to threaten the USA mainland.

So, I repeat, the USA could have stayed out of the European theatre indefinitely and simply focused everything on Japan. They chose not to.
While I don't want to derail my own thread too much I genuinely don't think it was much of a choice at all.

I think the situation kinda forced the US to step in. That's the impression I got from a documentary.

JPRouve

Scout
To be fair, if I had issue with your post about heavy lifting I would have quoted you but JP is guilty of the sin of omission and must be flogged to earn his penance.
Is that some sort of fantasy that you have with me? :nervous:

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Also, this notion that Russia (i.e. Germany's invasion of Russia) is the biggest reason why Germany lost the war is false.

The biggest single reason was the the UK remaining free of Nazi invasion. If the UK had fallen, Germany would have won the war.

This is because without the UK (and its bases outside the UK), the USA would have had no base from which to participate in the invasion of occupied Europe . And without that invasion, Germany would have been able to focus much more of its resources on the Eastern front ... which in turn would have made Russian success problematic to say the least.

Balljy

It's almost like a global war can be won without somebody being the hero and jumping in to save everyone. Perhaps the UK and later the US holding the Western front took away German resources as did Russia with help from their allies on the Eastern front whilst other countries took care of Japan.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Trying to talk down the magnitude of the Soviet contribution to the defeat of Nazi Germany is utterly bizarre. (No one has tried to deny or belittle the importance of the US effort, btw.)

fergieisold

They can definitely build the ships but where the US is still miles ahead of China and anybody else is the systems within those ships. Radar, electronic warfare, missile defence etc. is all far superior. Same goes for aircraft and land based military. The Chinese military rely on numbers currently because they don't yet have the technology. As for anti aircraft systems they use mostly Russian built air defence systems and developments from those, which are extremely capable, but most American air power over the last few decades has been built to defeat those technologies. Hopefully we will never have to find out who did a better job.

The piece about the GLBMs is a bit of a red herring (or maybe a misprint) too. The US doesn't have any of those because it doesn't need them, they have no nearby threats and they have ground based ICBMs, long range bombers, and submarines placed all over the world instead.

The rest of the OP i agree with though, it is absolutely their aim to dominate East Asia. Whether they want to go beyond that, or whether that brings them into conflict with the US, is yet to be seen. Having lived there a few years i suspect eventually the answer will be yes.
I find this really interesting, the 'tech' suggestion has popped up a few times. Do we really live in a world where Russia, China and the USA differ significantly in terms of technical know how?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Similar to America then by not wanting to get involved till Pearl Harbour? Only that the Russians utterly defeated the Nazi's on the Eastern Front which ended the war. The UK were effectively on their knees and America was actively looking a way out of the War. Without Russia the Nazi's would likely have won.
I am not disputing here about the USSR being the reason the Allies won (and apologize to continue any derailment), but I felt the need to clear up a point here. The US was not actively looking for a way out of the war. They were quite actively supporting the Allies, to the point that when Germany declared was war it was felt as an acknowledgement of something that more or less already existed.

And we knew fully well the aggressive stance we were taking towards Japan and demanding they give up their holdings in China would lead to war. Blocking any resources like oil is as close to war as you can get without firing a shot. We were already in a war stance in the Philippines: those are not the actions of one ‘actively looking for a way out of the war’.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I find this really interesting, the 'tech' suggestion has popped up a few times. Do we really live in a world where Russia, China and the USA differ significantly in terms of technical know how?
Yes. Let's not forget that the USA landed people on the moon more than 50 years ago - something that neither Russia or China have even now not yet managed to do.

Gehrman

He denies the importance of the USSR because they only entered the war due to Germany, he should follow the same logic with the US who only entered the war due to Japan.

They couldn't because Japan, Italy and Germany were allies through the Tripartite pact, when they attacked one, they attacked all of them. Germany declared war on the US after the US declared war on Japan.
I don't think he was denying the importance of the USSR, but their motives. Nobody can deny the importance of the Soviet's once they entered war with Germany. The US were supplying the UK and the Soviet's before Pearl Harbour so were in essence not neutral but reluctant to be dragged into yet another World war.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't think he was denying the importance of the USSR, but their motives. Nobody can deny the importance of the Soviet's once they entered war with Germany. The US were supplying the UK and the Soviet's before Pearl Harbour so were in essence not neutral but reluctant to be dragged into yet another World war.
He did and he even went further in a following post.

Gehrman

He did and he even went further in a following post.
Yes he probably alluding to the fact that Josepth Stalin was not a nice guy. There is a reason why the germans and the japanese were far more eager to surrender to the US and UK once they knew the war was lost.

Gehrman

As far as Germans go, the reason is probably that they had been waging a war of genocidal destruction against the Soviets.
That's surely one of the main reasons yes.

Balljy

Is that out of choice though or a genuine tech disadvantage? I can see the conspiracy theorists coming in here claiming it was all staged :lol:
The US can't land on the moon at the moment either, although there's the beginnings of an effort to get back there. Having said that, it was only yesterday that the US had the next setback in the SLS as the engines failed an 8 minute test after 50 seconds which will probably lead to a long delay. China are also starting missions which will lead to them getting on the moon. It's mainly investment that's the problem, not technology as it's hugely expensive and the benefits of being there have been largely political up until now.

To suggest that the US somehow have the ability to make better technology than China is a bit weird though as it's blatantly not true. They may have more experience in some areas historically.

fergieisold

That's a more balanced take on it and yes I agree, however people tend to always assume the worst. Will China's influence in the world be any worse than Americas? We don't know that answer yet but it would need to be pretty awful to match America.
Sorry but what do you mean? China's ongoing genocide? The control over it's people and the way they express themselves? Causing a global pandemic because they didn't want anybody to think there was a virus that originated from them? You might not like the USA but they're miles away from what the world would look like under any real Chinese influence.

JPRouve

Scout
Is that out of choice though or a genuine tech disadvantage? I can see the conspiracy theorists coming in here claiming it was all staged :lol:
Interestingly the technology used was very basic compared to what we have today, the issue is that it cost a fortune and there is little benefit outside of propaganda and no amount of PR will make being second sound good.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The US can't land on the moon at the moment either, although there's the beginnings of an effort to get back there. Having said that, it was only yesterday that the US had the next setback in the SLS as the engines failed an 8 minute test after 50 seconds which will probably lead to a long delay. China are also starting missions which will lead to them getting on the moon. It's mainly investment that's the problem, not technology as it's hugely expensive and the benefits of being there have been largely political up until now.

To suggest that the US somehow have the ability to make better technology than China is a bit weird though as it's blatantly not true. They may have more experience in some areas historically.
It is true though. The US has more technological know-how than China, hence China trying to steal research, blueprints etcetera through cyber warfare.

Balljy

It is true though. The US has more technological know-how than China, hence China trying to steal research, blueprints etcetera through cyber warfare.
What do you think they have "better technology know-how" in? China has been at the forefront of smartphones, routers, electronic design for years now. There's been a global stamp-down on Huawei to try to get them out of networks they're currently dominating worldwide due to concerns.

Maybe China stole some of those designs to catch-up 10 years ago, I don't know but there's no way they're behind at this moment in time

JPRouve

Scout
Is it that simple and does it only happen in one direction?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The piece about the GLBMs is a bit of a red herring (or maybe a misprint) too. The US doesn't have any of those because it doesn't need them, they have no nearby threats and they have ground based ICBMs, long range bombers, and submarines placed all over the world instead.
Something that probably slipped under the radar with all the other madness around was how the US leaving the Cold War era INF treaty with Russia affects their relationship with China. Once they were freed from those bounds, the Pentagon went straight to ramping up their budget on surrounding China with more missiles. So that report was probably using data before these budget increases had their effect.

Reuters Special Report

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
What do you think they have "better technology know-how" in? China has been at the forefront of smartphones, routers, electronic design for years now. There's been a global stamp-down on Huawei to try to get them out of networks they're currently dominating worldwide due to concerns.

Maybe China stole some of those designs to catch-up 10 years ago, I don't know but there's no way they're behind at this moment in time
China doesn't even have the tech to make their own airliners to rival Boeing and Airbus.

They obviously have advanced in many technological fronts, but they still way behind in many others.

They will eventually catch up, of course.

JPRouve

Scout
China doesn't even have the tech to make their own airliners to rival Boeing and Airbus.

They obviously have advanced in many technological fronts, but they still way behind in many others.
They have the tech, they simply didn't have the knowhow. Now they have the Comac something in development.