Cole Palmer | Chelsea Player

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Son comparison is probably a fair one or maybe Felix.
Probably a bit slower than Son but beats his man with technique, picks a killer pass and capable of scoring spectacular goals but probably not in great number.

Skills

Snitch
Might just be coy about it, but if he really is not being clued in about recruitment, oh boy.
They've signed a 21 year who 99.99% certain to outlast his tenure at the club. So I don't think it's a big deal. They're looking out for themselves much longer than the average managers tenure.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
:lol:

For lack of better phrasing, he (Palmer) has more sauce

I was half expecting him to fake brush dust off his Clarks :D
:lol: much more.

I admit I was surprised to learn of his mixed heritage. I thought he was white as chalk.

Rapsinfour

I really liked him in the 2 games I watched him in this year. He looked very good against sevilla; I have been much more impressed with him than the more ballyhooed Foden.

Surprising that City is selling him. It makes sense for him to leave if he wants more playing time, but to Chelsea? But Poch does have a history of playing young players, and if he believes in his talent, he can make the argument that, atm, there is no settled XI at Chelsea and he has as good a chance of being in the first XI (as anyone else) if he is talented.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Might just be coy about it, but if he really is not being clued in about recruitment, oh boy.
playing coy considered he is exactly the type of player pochettino wanted in his attack and gave the green light few days before that interview.

every first team player chelsea get this season has to get a green light from pochettino. Perhaps Pochettino’s wanted a different attacker, because this seems to have Joe shield influence all over it, but at the end, Palmer is actually the type of player that suit Pochettino . If Pochettino can do what he did to son at spurs, then Palmer is in amazing hand. I feel that Palmer has a much higher ceiling than son had before he joined spurs

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
City just don’t provide a first team pathway for youngsters. No matter how good they are. The exception is Foden, but even he is not a first team starter there and he’d start for virtually any other team in the league and be a key player.

The money aspect is hard to ignore too. Former City employees at Chelsea and Southampton paying massive fees for City youngsters. Everything about City stinks to the high heavens. From their charges to their sponsors who don’t exist etc. It’s really gross. English football is fundamentally broken.

Usually I’d be upset seeing a rival lift the treble but it was hard to register an emotional response other than a shrug and general contempt that it counts for nothing. I suppose once it sinks in that the governing body is going to end up doing nothing about it all, then maybe the disgust will become more visceral rage. City will find a way out. Just like when they were found guilty by UEFA but got off the hook because of the statute of limitations in UEFA’s own charter.

But none of this is the fault of Palmer, who is a good player. Nothing he’s done says he is worth what’s been paid. He may well fulfill his promise and turn out to be a good deal but on face value, the number of appearances and general impact, especially when judged against other transfers - even in this inflated market - makes this fee look extremely shady.

Revan

Assumptionman
It is how it should be. The manager is there to manage the players, not hire them.

Kablamo

Supports
Chelsea
Baffling move for Palmer.

He’s being advised by idiots and will be yet another one to add to the loan conveyor belt.
You need to sit this one out pal.

You said that us signing Malo Gusto was "irresponsible spending". How's that looking now with Reece James out with another injury?

Oranges038

It is how it should be. The manager is there to manage the players, not hire them.
You think he shouldn't even be consulted? If you're the coach you'd be happy to have players just being dumped on you?

Because, that's always worked well in the past.

Another 7+1 deal, can't wait to see how many of these players decided to sit out these deals whilst doing fcuk all on the pitch.

Revan

Assumptionman
City just don’t provide a first team pathway for youngsters. No matter how good they are. The exception is Foden, but even he is not a first team starter there and he’d start for virtually any other team in the league and be a key player.

The money aspect is hard to ignore too. Former City employees at Chelsea and Southampton paying massive fees for City youngsters. Everything about City stinks to the high heavens. From their charges to their sponsors who don’t exist etc. It’s really gross. English football is fundamentally broken.

Usually I’d be upset seeing a rival lift the treble but it was hard to register an emotional response other than a shrug and general contempt that it counts for nothing. I suppose once it sinks in that the governing body is going to end up doing nothing about it all, then maybe the disgust will become more visceral rage. City will find a way out. Just like when they were found guilty by UEFA but got off the hook because of the statute of limitations in UEFA’s own charter.

But none of this is the fault of Palmer, who is a good player. Nothing he’s done says he is worth what’s been paid. He may well fulfill his promise and turn out to be a good deal but on face value, the number of appearances and general impact, especially when judged against other transfers - even in this inflated market - makes this fee look extremely shady.
I really disagree with this post.

They are doing what well-managed clubs do. Quickly identifying players who won’t make it at City or need years to make it (let’s be fair, pretty much everyone won’t make it) and selling them while they are promising and thus their stock is high. Then reusing that money to buy players who are already good enough for City.

Even assuming that Palmer is a talent of the same level as Alvarez, it makes sense for them to buy Alvarez and sell Palmer, leaving them with 30m to spend.

I know that them being so good have made us so bitter (Caf nowadays reads like RAWK a decade ago), but I do not think there is anything fishy in this. Southampton pretty much got back all the money they gave to City in Lavia.

If we had a bit of foresight we would have been operating the same. There was a time where we could have gotten really good money for the likes of Henderson or Williams. We could have gotten 30m for McTominay this season too. But we usually keep players far past their expiry date, so obviously we won’t get good money for them.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Surely Chelsea want someone from our squad? Seems like they're buying a player from every other club in Europe. Can't someone give Boehly a shout?

Revan

Assumptionman
You think he shouldn't even be consulted? If you're the coach you'd be happy to have players just being dumped on you?

Because, that's always worked well in the past.

Another 7+1 deal, can't wait to see how many of these players decided to sit out these deals whilst doing fcuk all on the pitch.
Maybe consulted but that is not even necessary. The player will likely outlast the manager. As long as the player is of the same type that is needed for the club, the most the manager, especially a new one, should get is some information. Let’s be real, Poch might get sacked in 6 months, or 1 year and will almost certainly be sacked within 2-3 years. Palmer will outlast him.

In most American sports, the manager has 0 say in a transfer. Like they might realize that the club signed a player from the media. In FAANG companies the manager often does not have any vote whatsoever for hirings.

It is past date that this is happening in the football. The manager manages, the club hires.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Surely Chelsea want someone from our squad? Seems like they're buying a player from every other club in Europe. Can't someone give Boehly a shout?
Rashford? I’d take him.

cyberman

Agree with this. That’s what happens when you have infinite budget, talent doesn’t really register with them. Lose Palmer and they’ll go out and buy someone else for 50m because being Man City and Manchester itself doesn’t mean a feck to them. Why build from the future when you can replace everybody every summer and keep resetting without consequence?

Oranges038

Maybe consulted but that is not even necessary. The player will likely outlast the manager. As long as the player is of the same type that is needed for the club, the most the manager, especially a new one, should get is some information. Let’s be real, Poch might get sacked in 6 months, or 1 year and will almost certainly be sacked within 2-3 years. Palmer will outlast him.

In most American sports, the manager has 0 say in a transfer. Like they might realize that the club signed a player from the media. In FAANG companies the manager often does not have any vote whatsoever for hirings.

It is past date that this is happening in the football. The manager manages, the club hires.
That is most likely.

They aren't really managers anymore, just head coaches. but once in place they should be consulted, if he doesn't like the player you spend 40m on and put him on a 7 year deal, do you replace him with someone who does. What if the new guy comes in and after a bit he realises he doesn't want too play the player you just spent 115m on?

In US sports, there's not really the same system in terms of transfers and transfer fees etc. So you can't really compare them.

But, this Chelsea model of signing loads of players to 8 year contracts hasn't been tried before. Can't wait to see how badly it blows up in their face.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
People won’t want to hear it but it says a lot about our squad.

Revan

Assumptionman
That is most likely.

They aren't really managers anymore, just head coaches. but once in place they should be consulted, if he doesn't like the player you spend 40m on and put him on a 7 year deal, do you replace him with someone who does. What if the new guy comes in and after a bit he realises he doesn't want too play the player you just spent 115m on?

In US sports, there's not really the same system in terms of transfers and transfer fees etc. So you can't really compare them.

But, this Chelsea model of signing loads of players to 8 year contracts hasn't been tried before. Can't wait to see how badly it blows up in their face.
What if the manager does not like the 20 players the club has? Do you replace all of them?

Most managers are very pragmatic. If you sign players that are good in the positions the club needs, they will play them.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
People won’t want to hear it but it says a lot about our squad.
I mean, they probably would want a few of our squad but the few they actually do they wouldn't be able to afford.

didz

In two years time when 120 minute matches are played by top flight clubs 6 times a week, it will be Chelsea laughing at everyone else for only having tiny 25-player squads.

That's gotta be their thinking, right?

We missed our shot with Ronaldo last year. Oh the fun we could have had.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Agree with this. That’s what happens when you have infinite budget, talent doesn’t really register with them. Lose Palmer and they’ll go out and buy someone else for 50m because being Man City and Manchester itself doesn’t mean a feck to them. Why build from the future when you can replace everybody every summer and keep resetting without consequence?
I don’t think it’s to do with budget, it’s just the level that City are at. City are the best team in the world. The chances of one of their youth players being good enough to start for them is pretty slim, even with the best academy in England currently. Generally, big sides only give youth a chance when things are going bad, either performances or injuries. Neither are really an issue at City.

Conor

He might have the worst first name of all time. Screams dickhead.

Oranges038

What is the manager does not like the 20 players the club has? Do you replace all of them?

Most managers are very pragmatic. If you sign players that are good in the positions the club needs, they will play them.
Or the club has a set structure set up on how they want to play, the players that suit it and identify and bring in coaches to facilitate those players. Is there many top clubs have been able to do that yet? City spent years laying the groundwork for Pep and even then he's jettisoned loads of players as he's changed and adapted his squad and style.

Chelsea's owners have been in the door a year.

How likely is it that they have successfully established that framework and structure within that timeframe?

Revan

Assumptionman
Or the club has a set structure set up on how they want to play, the players that suit it and identify and bring in coaches to facilitate those players. Is there many top clubs have been able to do that yet? City spent years laying the groundwork for Pep and even then he's jettisoned loads of players as he's changed and adapted his squad and style.

Chelsea's owners have been in the door a year.

How likely is it that they have successfully established that framework and structure within that timeframe?
I think most clubs operate in that structure. We see Bayern, Madrid etc where managers stay for couple of years and have no control at all in the transfers, but do very well. It is the right way of running a club.

We will see for Chelsea. I believe their owners have experience in American sports, and despite what people say, I do not think there is much difference. Bring a big team of people with knowledge in the field, make heavy use of analytics, and have the manager as a cog in the machine. Of course, if you get an all time great like Pep, you give to him significantly power in transfers, but not every average Joe should get power on that (or in case of United, full power).

Hoof the ball

Another one of a city’s promising academy players binned off.
Their academy is basically just a farm with zero interest in getting players into the first team.
They transitioned Foden into the first team.

Cole Palmer got a healthy amount of minutes last season too.

Rico Lewis played in more minutes than Garnacho last season.

There are a lot of things to critique City about, but they're quite good with giving their young players lots of minutes. If they're about to sell Palmer for close to the amount of takes to bring in Doku then fair play to them. Isn't that just good business?

cyberman

I don’t think it’s to do with budget, it’s just the level that City are at. City are the best team in the world. The chances of one of their youth players being good enough to start for them is pretty slim, even with the best academy in England currently. Generally, big sides only give youth a chance when things are going bad, either performances or injuries. Neither are really an issue at City.
But they move been doing this before they became the best team in the world. It’s why the club feels so soulless. These talented kids don’t even have to start for them, just be quality squad players that have been given a chance. It’s not as if they’re signing these world class players that are coming straight into the team, they’re signing Wolves / Villa / Rennes and almost West Ham. I’m not saying those teams can’t have quality players but when you’d rather sign and develop other clubs young players instead of your own then somethings wrong. Especially when they have the best youth set up in the country

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Like I just said in another thread, this could be a reverse of the De Bruyne situation where he didn't get a chance at Chelsea and they now get mocked for letting him go. The word is that City coaches rate him higher than Foden! He looks like he has the lot too, he just needs to put it together.

The Irish Connection

There are a lot of things to critique City about, but they're quite good with giving their young players lots of minutes. If they're about to sell Palmer for close to the amount of takes to bring in Doku then fair play to them. Isn't that just good business?
Foden is given token minutes in my opinion. Pep clearly doesn’t fancy him.

Palmer the same and now sold.

Lewis the same in my opinion.

Thats one thing we have going for us at the moment, it’s in our dna to get youth into the first time.
City have clear recent history under Abu Dhabi of farming youth players with dodgy recruitment from overseas as a factory to speculate and then generate another stream of dodgy income.

If greenwood wasn’t a gowl he would be in our first team, along with Rashford, and hopefully Mainoo soon.

I haven’t followed city’s business closely but I believe they have sold another few academy players this summer and were being investigated for recruiting African players and loaning them out all over the place.
Chelsea similar.

Lemoor

A massive part of their playing time came only in last 3 fixtures, when they already won the league and cup games when they were already up by multiple goals. This really isn't what I would describe as giving a healthy amount of minutes.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
What position is he? I thought he was a rw which Sterling looks to have nailed down?

Last edited:

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
What position is he? I thought be was a rw which Sterling looks to have nailed down?
It’s what I’m most curious about. How and where will Poch use him? I think Sterling was used more on the left at City so I can see him sliding over there with Palmer on the left. I can also see him playing more centrally where Gallagher has been playing.

Palmer can apparently play any of the attacking positions from what I’ve read.