Colin Powell dies aged 84.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Worth approx $60m at his time of death, according to reports.

Not bad for a man raised by a seamstress and a shipping clerk, after a life of public service.

RIP

Eyepopper

Okay, let's play devil's advocate here. Did he have no other choice than to believe the intelligence he was given? Or was he aware of how faulty the intelligence was?

In other words, was he truly just a messenger or was he a participant in the deceit?
On 16 March 1968 during the Vietnam war. Between 347 and 504 unarmed people were killed by U.S. Army soldiers. Victims included men, women, children, and infants. Some of the women were gang-raped and their bodies mutilated, as were children as young as 12.

Twenty-six soldiers were charged with criminal offenses, but only a Lieutenant was convicted. Found guilty of killing 22 villagers, he was originally given a life sentence, but served three-and-a-half years under house arrest.

Powell was charged with investigating a detailed letter by soldier Tom Glen, which backed up rumored allegations of the massacre. He wrote: "In direct refutation of this portrayal is the fact that relations between American soldiers and the Vietnamese people are excellent." Later, Powell's assessment would be described as whitewashing.

In May 2004, Powell said to television and radio host Larry King "I was in a unit that was responsible for My Lai. I got there after My Lai happened. So, in war, these sorts of horrible things happen every now and again, but they are still to be deplored."
I think it's fair to say, he always knew what side his bread was buttered on, regardless of the circumstances.

Eyepopper

C'mon man, who of us had had to deal with the rape, murder and mutilation of 500 unarmed civilians, and making sure only 1 person was held accountable for it, and even then making sure they only did 3 years house arrest for it?

An exemplary individual, arguably worth far more than his $60m estate represents.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Undeniably a hero, he always stood up for what was likely to fill his pockets.
For a media that thrives on criticizing people and judging everyone (be it fair or unfair) why are they so unwilling to do the same for these figures? I mean I get he died and we should treat it with a modicum of respect, but I've watched that last 2 shows on CNN and not a single mention of anything negative about him. Very strange.

Eyepopper

For a media that thrives on criticizing people and judging everyone (be it fair or unfair) why are they so unwilling to do the same for these figures? I mean I get he died and we should treat it with a modicum of respect, but I've watched that last 2 shows on CNN and not a single mention of anything negative about him. Very strange.
CNN is like antiFOX, and should be treated with the same level of suspicion as Fox is.

America is a divided nation, and watching either Fox or CNN is never going to give you an accurate picture. Add to that their weird attitude to anyone who has ever worn a uniform.

Powell was in it from day one for no other reason than to further his career, and, to be fair, he played the cards he had to their max. $60m net worth, well played Co-lin,, I mean what's covering up a couple of war crimes when you look at them numbers?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Cause CNN is pro war so even if they wanted to criticise him they'd look ridiculous.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
An honest critique of the life of someone like Powell risks undermining some of the most cherished myths that seem to provide America with its sense of purpose and identity as a global power. No chance you’ll get any major media outlets going too far down that road.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
CNN is like antiFOX, and should be treated with the same level of suspicion as Fox is.

America is a divided nation, and watching either Fox or CNN is never going to give you an accurate picture. Add to that their weird attitude to anyone who has ever worn a uniform.

Powell was in it from day one for no other reason than to further his career, and, to be fair, he played the cards he had to their max. $60m net worth, well played Co-lin,, I mean what's covering up a couple of war crimes when you look at them numbers?
What's the most balanced news channel in your opinion? I often have cnn on the background because it's the only american news channel in my cable package.

Eyepopper

What's the most balanced news channel in your opinion? I often have cnn on the background because it's the only american news channel in my cable package.
There aren't any anymore, all of the mainstream news channels are pursuing and agenda.

Critical thought is required.

I watch CNN quite a bit too, but most of their coverage is just as agenda's as Fox.

entropy

C'mon man, who of us had had to deal with the rape, murder and mutilation of 500 unarmed civilians, and making sure only 1 person was held accountable for it, and even then making sure they only did 3 years house arrest for it?

An exemplary individual, arguably worth far more than his $60m estate represents.
when you’re right, you’re right

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Okay, let's play devil's advocate here. Did he have no other choice than to believe the intelligence he was given? Or was he aware of how faulty the intelligence was?

In other words, was he truly just a messenger or was he a participant in the deceit?
The whole world knew it was a lie. It wasnt even a mis intelligence.

They literally said yes to something that doesnt exist.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
From the information I read he asked the CIA for double confirmation and the VPs office and they made the speech he gave.
As a diplomat I don't think he could have done anything else at that time when Intelligence gave him those information.
They hung him out to.dry. Condelessa Rice wouldn't even pick his calls. When they couldn't give him the verification he was looking for, he should have resigned rather than making that speech.
Furthermore, it should have been easy to resign. Dubya had made the decision to go to war, with or without UN approval.
The speech itself didn't even work cause France vetoed the motion.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They hung him out to.dry. Condelessa Rice wouldn't even pick his calls. When they couldn't give him the verification he was looking for, he should have resigned rather than making that speech.
Furthermore, it should have been easy to resign. Dubya had made the decision to go to war, with or without UN approval.
This is accurate.

Foxbatt

That I agree with you. He should have resigned. Just like Robin Cook did. He spoiled his whole life with that one stupid speech.
He had said it was the biggest regret in his life. He fell out with Bill Clinton too when he was Chairman because he opposed the bombing of Serbia.