College Football 2023

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Michigan's secondary was a much better unit than Texas' secondary. The Texas DBs were rarely looking at the ball nor being physical thus allowing Washington receivers to get open and downfield; it's probably a scheme difference. The Texas DL was contained whereas Michigan's DL got consistent penetration.

Excellent win for Michigan and happy for the Big Blue fans. Definitely better than Ohio State winning and any SEC school (well, until Texas joins that is but feck the rest of the SEC).

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The scramble of guys contacting their agents to get them into the UAT coaching search is going to be interesting.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Lanning would seem the logical choice here. Unless they want to go full on nepotism and ride with Dabo.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This could end up really funny if he commits to Texas and then Sark goes to Bama

Or to Ole Miss and then Kiffin goes to Bama

Or to…
We lost one of our commits Kevin Riley, to Bama on the final day. There’s apparently a 30 day window of a coach leaves the program so we are expecting a few more decommits.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Crazy facts about Saban...

At UAT, every four year player left with a natty ring.

At UAT, Saban had more first round draft picks than losses.

At UAT, in his 17 seasons, he had a team ranked #1 in fifteen of them.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Crazy facts about Saban...

At UAT, every four year player left with a natty ring.

At UAT, Saban had more first round draft picks than losses.

At UAT, in his 17 seasons, he had a team ranked #1 in fifteen of them.
Good lad.

MrMarcello

I don't recall successors to legends doing very well in modern times - not going back to leather helmet days. The program I most recall doing well was Miami after Schnellenberger, presume he's a legend there, followed by Johnson (52-9 overall but 44-4 in last four years and brought the swagger to the U) and Erickson (luckiest coach ever perhaps inheriting a stacked program) before the NCAA went after them.

Notre Dame had bumps although Devine did win a title after Parseghian but believe there were mixed views on him. I'll never understand what convinced Notre Dame to hire a high school coach, Faust, after Devine stepped down.

Oklahoma and Texas dropped off after their legendary coaches walked away, Switzer and Royal respectively; Riley did very well post Stoops.

Georgia fell off post Dooley.

USC did alright with Robinson post McKay but fell off thereafter.

Penn State will probably never get back to their 20th century level in part to Paterno sticking around way too long.

Alabama fell off post Bryant and not sure if Stallings is considered a legend with inviting sanctions on the program.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I don't recall successors to legends doing very well in modern times - not going back to leather helmet days. The program I most recall doing well was Miami after Schnellenberger, presume he's a legend there, followed by Johnson (52-9 overall but 44-4 in last four years and brought the swagger to the U) and Erickson (luckiest coach ever perhaps inheriting a stacked program) before the NCAA went after them.

Notre Dame had bumps although Devine did win a title after Parseghian but believe there were mixed views on him. I'll never understand what convinced Notre Dame to hire a high school coach, Faust, after Devine stepped down.

Oklahoma and Texas dropped off after their legendary coaches walked away, Switzer and Royal respectively; Riley did very well post Stoops.

Georgia fell off post Dooley.

USC did alright with Robinson post McKay but fell off thereafter.

Penn State will probably never get back to their 20th century level in part to Paterno sticking around way too long.

Alabama fell off post Bryant and not sure if Stallings is considered a legend with inviting sanctions on the program.
Ohio State from Meyer to Day? Urban was only there 6 seasons, so not sure that gives him legend status, even with the title. Meyer is a legendary asshole, so there is that.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Probably the right move. He was in WR2 territory before the start of this season after MHJ, and was now firmly outside the top-5 or even top-8 WRs which are going to the NFL.

His QB play won't be all that in 2024 but he has a chance to fulfill the potential he flashed as a sophomore going back to OSU.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Just a rumor. Hard to say who is in the lead at this point
Bookies have him in the lead for what's that worth.

We've scratched & clawed our way back to partial relevance under Norvell, this will just upset the apple cart yet again.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Bookies have him in the lead for what's that worth.

We've scratched & clawed our way back to partial relevance under Norvell, this will just upset the apple cart yet again.
I believe Norvell is attractive because his buyout is only 4m.

I would of course prefer Bama sign Deion so he can turn them into a total farce.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I believe Norvell is attractive because his buyout is only 4m.

I would of course prefer Bama sign Deion so he can turn them into a total farce.
Not a chance the good ole white boy's that run UAT would ever allow someone like Deion to coach Bama.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not a chance the good ole white boy's that run UAT would ever allow someone like Deion to coach Bama.
Good point. Whoever gets the job is going to have their work cut out, since most of Saban's staff are likely to hit the road as well.

MrMarcello

My Buckeyes supporting buddy said Will Howard transferred from K-State. He's a damn good QB and definitely has NFL size and talent but can he mold this into sure-fire draft status remains to be seen. From what little I saw of him in 2023 he looks the real deal and maybe a Josh Allen clone, or worse a Brady Quinn clone.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
My Buckeyes supporting buddy said Will Howard transferred from K-State. He's a damn good QB and definitely has NFL size and talent but can he mold this into sure-fire draft status remains to be seen. From what little I saw of him in 2023 he looks the real deal and maybe a Josh Allen clone, or worse a Brady Quinn clone.
Don't know much about Will Howard to be honest

But as much as Kyle McCord isn't elite, a better coach would have put him in position to win that game in Ann Arbor instead of overthinking and hedging. We had CJ Stroud behind center and dropped 2 games to those folk and against Georgia, not because of QB play, but because we're being held back by conservative play calling, and unless Day gives up play calling to a more aggressive OC, results won't change even with this Will Howard bloke

Only reason the boosters aren't on his head as much right now is because there's no apparent replacement on the market, but they won't tolerate 0-4...

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Derek Dooley is listed as one of the possible in the betting odds. That would make my day. It's been more than 10 years since he was in Knoxville and just mentioning his name still gives me the willies.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I'm sure Sark, Lanning, and Dabo all got calls - probably Norvell as well.
No doubt, especially after the awards Norvell took in for the 2023 season.

He's (& his staff) going to have to coach FSU up big time next season as we have lost some serious talent to the draft as well as serious depth to the transfer portal.

MrMarcello

So, Alabama got like their fifth or sixth choice perhaps?

Did they call up Dabo and he didn't answer? Did Dabo call them up and they didn't answer?

Names were mentioned on sports shows this morning, heard Stephen A. say irt Sark, "you don't leave Austin for Tuscaloosa," and he didn't mean it wholly from a sporting or job front but also environment, people, lifestyle, all that.