Colombia win Fair Play Award

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
Might as well give Suarez Fair Play trophy

oriole

Any specific reason why colombia won it or did they win some statistic on committed fouls?

Scrumpet

There are no words
Any specific reason why colombia won it or did they win some statistic on committed fouls?
Not entirely sure. FIFA say this:
The FIFA Fair Play Award will go to the team with the tournament’s best disciplinary record. Only teams that reach the knockout phase are eligible.
I thought it was given to whoever had the lowest yellow card per game ratio but both Germany and Switzerland had a lower one than Colombia. I think there must be some subjective element in deciding who gets it.

Xantos

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=2014/m=7/news=messi-heralded-as-brazil-2014-s-best-2404615.html

FIFA said:
The Group C winners who reached the quarter-finals were given this award, not only for collecting just five yellow cards in their five matches at Brazil 2014, but for scoring highly in the criteria set by FIFA’s Technical Study Group, which includes positive play, respect towards the opponent and match officials, as well as the behaviour of their team officials and supporters.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Seriously ?? For me especially the south american teams behaved very well .
Kramer getting taken out yesterday, the foulfest that was Brazil vs Colombia and Suarez's oral fixation rearing its hungry head again count as well behaved?

There were a lot of very bad tackles in the tournament that went unpunished. Matuidi broke a fella's leg and got away scot free.

Inigo

Good choice imo. Not their fault what Brazil (and the ref) turned that match into and looking at the criteria I think they deserve it.