g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Combined Man Utd Liverpool 11

Sigma

:lol:

Mine (based on form and fitness/availability)

De Gea
Valencia Matip Jones Milner
Carrick
Pogba Lallana
Mhiki Ibra Coutinho​

Yeah, this thread was supposed to be based on this seasons form (i.e. who would be the best players on the pitch you could pick tomorrow) but what ever I should have said that in the OP :lol:

Last edited:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
De Gea

Valencia - Matip - Bailly - Milner
Carrick
Lallana - Pogba
Mkhitaryan - Zlatan - Coutinho

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Mane > Mata and probably Mkhitaryan on this season's form.

Also, Henderson has statistically been the league's best holding midfielder this season.

De Gea
Clyne
Matip
Bailly
Milner

Henderson
Pogba
Lallana

Mane
Ibra
Coutinho

7/4 in Liverpool's favour, and pretty reasonable I think, considering the season thus far.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
De Gea
Valencia Bailly Matip Milner
Carrick
Herrera Pogba
Mane Ibrahimovic Mkhitaryan​

Could also put Miki on the right and Coutinho on the left though. Lallana isn't better then any of the front 5, though he's having a good season. Bailly and Matip are probably the best 2 CBs when everyone is at their best. Left back, Milner having a better season then what any of the others have put out.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea

Also, Henderson has statistically been the league's best holding midfielder this season.

De Gea
Clyne
Matip
Bailly
Milner

Henderson
Pogba
Lallana

Mane
Ibra
Coutinho

7/4 in Liverpool's favour, and pretty reasonable I think, considering the season thus far.

Get Clyne, Henderson & Matip out of there.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
These arguments are always pointless. I wouldn't swap Martial for Mane just as a Liverpool fan wouldn't swap Clyne for Valencia.

Omar Little

It would just be silly to combine the teams. Both play a completely different style.

The thing with the Liverpool squad is that Klopp has got good players playing at a higher level, a cohesive unit, where everyone knows their job and works well together.

The thing is, as we've seen recently, when you remove a piece, or two, from the puzzle, it falls apart.

United have better players, Liverpool's players are (or have been) playing better together.

I mean, no other manager is going to choose Henderson, Mane, Llana, over Pogba, Mkhitaryan and Mata. The latter are simply much better players, that get into most top sides. However, they (the former) are perfect for Liverpool's system.

Last edited:

They're an average group of individuals playing well as a team, we are a good group of individuals finding our feet as a team.

De Gea
Valencia - Bailly - Matip - Milner
Herrera - Carrick - Pogba
Miki - Zlatan - Coutinho

Hard to choose a partner for Bailly. Their defence isn't great and I'm not 100% convinced by any of our other CBs either.

Llalana is in form but no-one can say with a straight face he's better than Pogba, and he doesn't hold the ball or get about well enough for Herrera's role.

Mane is in form and Miki had a weird start to his season, but Miki is just a better player.

Mindhunter

True, Klopp has the ability to make the collective group much better than the sum of its parts. He has done something similar at Dortmund and this time it really looks like Liverpool have improved substantially than the season under Rodgers where everything was happening through Suarez.

krazyrobus

Based on form over the season not actual ability. Toughest choice was Clyne or Valencia.

Lb is depressing, we have good potential there in Blind and Shaw and are losing out to Milner!

DDG

Clyne Matip Bailly Milner

Carrick
Lallana Pogba

Mane Zlatan Coutinho

Macern

Pee pee pants
Do we go by individual performances this season or who is actually best? If the latter then the only Liverpool players I'd have in that side is Coutinho and maybe Matip

Jaybomb

Based on this season form?

De Gea
Valencia Matip Rojo Milner
Carrick
Pogba Lallana
Mata Ibra Coutinho

Based on actual ability?

De Gea
Clyne Bailly Rojo Blind
Pogba Herrera
Mkhitaryan Mata Martial
Ibra

AR87

Just base on this season

DDG
Valencia-Bailly-Matip-Milner
Herrera-Carrick-Pogba
Mane-Ibra-Coutinho

Lallana could get in over Herrera, but imo they'd be looked upon more favorably if Ibra, Rooney, Martial, Rashford, etc. hadn't wasted so many chances in the string of draws we had. I would take our midfield over any other in the PL right now.

Lentwood

There is a good post above which rightly points out that these kind of comparisons are pointless because they disregard the particular role a player does for a team and how that team play etc....

However, I think another way to consider this and get an accurate "best XI" would be to say that if the other managers in the top half had to choose between the available players in each position to slot into their side between now and the end of the season (to take any worries about age etc...out of it) who would they select

In my honest opinion I would only consider taking Mane and Coutinho and even then it would be on the basis that they would rotate with Mhiki, Martial, Mata and Pogba depending how we were lining up and who we were playing

As somebody else posted above Klopp has got Liverpool playing as a team better than their individual parts. Fair play, good management but that doesnt make the individuals better and we have seen recently that Jose is starting to get it right at Utd. We also shouldnt forget that Utd have had a "settling in period" under a new manager which Klopp got out of the way last season (they finished 8th remember :-)) and Liverpool have played one game a week all season - coincidentally so have the leagues other front-runner Chelsea. Both have used small squads and have been largely clear on the injury front

On a final note, to leave out Pogba is just laughable and discards any credibility a former Liverpool player and supporter could have when selecting an XI

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
-------------De Gea------------
Valencia--Matip--Bailly--Milner
-------------Carrick-----------
------Henderson--Pogba------
Mane----Ibrahimovic--Coutinho

Robbie Boy

Clyne over Valencia?? That has to be the best one. I mean, Clyne is kind of shit whereas Valencia has been an absolute beast this season. I don't rate Clyne whatsoever.

MorraGambit

There is a good post above which rightly points out that these kind of comparisons are pointless because they disregard the particular role a player does for a team and how that team play etc....
I agree. Instead of one, maybe we can make 2 teams. Which players from each team will improve the other team in the current system. In that case, it's reasonable to take just 3, 4 players who could improve the current team.

For example, @AR87 team might work for our system

DDG
Valencia - Bailly - Matip - Milner
Herrera - Carrick - Pogba
Mane - Ibra - Coutinho

Likewise, @ShadesOfTomato team could improve them

De Gea
Clyne - Matip - Bailly - Milner
Henderson - Pogba - Lallana
Mane - Ibra - Coutinho

Bwuk

We have better players - but there system fits there players more.

Coutinho, Matip and that's it. Only ones who'd improve our 11

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
It would just be silly to combine the teams. Both play a completely different style.

The thing with the Liverpool squad is that Klopp has got good players playing at a higher level, a cohesive unit, where everyone knows their job and works well together.

The thing is, as we've seen recently, when you remove a piece, or two, from the puzzle, it falls apart.

United have better players, Liverpool's players are (or have been) playing better together.

I mean, no other manager is going to choose Henderson, Mane, Llana, over Pogba, Mkhitaryan and Mata. The latter are simply much better players, that get into most top sides. However, they (the former) are perfect for Liverpool's system.
This

Flying_Heckfish

Not picking Pogba :lol:

Souness is usually an OK pundit as well. No matter which way you cut it, you'd pick him first (OK, possibly second after DDG) if you were assembling a team from scratch. Even if you go for this season's form, he's only had that patch at the start of the season where he was still catching up - when Carrick wasn't even playing.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship

De Gea
Clyne
Matip
Bailly
Milner

Henderson
Pogba
Lallana

Mane
Ibra
Coutinho

Thisistheone

BBased on this season

-------------
De Gea

Valencia - Bailly - Rojo - Milner
--------------Carrick
---------Lallana - Pogba
---Mane --- Zlatan --- Coutinho

Feel bad leaving Herrera out but Lallana has been very good for them.

Last edited:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I don't understand the logic behind why Liverpool defenders shouldn't be in the combined XI because they have conceded 4 more goals, yet having a predominately United players in attack despite Liverpool scoring far more goals.

Sparky10Legend

Just like the old days, we are on a long winning run.

Yet every Liverpool player is better than ours.

Robertd0803

De Gea
Valencia Jones Rojo Blind
Carrick
Herrera Pogba
Mata/Miki/Martial/Rashford (whoever is picked by Jose basically)
Ibra

Theres my combined 11, no Liverpool players. Wouldn't want any of them playing for us even in fantasy land.

iHicksy

Based on recent form;
De Gea
Valencia Jones Rojo Milner

Carrick​
Henderson Pogba​

Mane - Ibra - Miki​

worldinmotion66

I'd take Lallana in a heartbeat. Probably Mane and Milner too, and Coutinho at a push.

De Gea
Valencia - Jones - Bailly - Milner
Carrick
Lallana - Pogba
Mkhitaryan - Ibrahimovic - Mane

Subs: Romero, Clyne, Blind, Herrera, Coutinho, Martial, Rashford

worldinmotion66

I'd suggest Liverpool would probably be all over De Gea, Herrera and probably would look at Mkhitaryan too. Possibly Valencia but he's not a massive upgrade on Clyne. These players would suit Klopp and his pressing system perfectly.

De Gea
Clyne - Matip - Bailly - Milner
Henderson
Herrera - Lallana
Mane - Firmino - Coutinho

Subs: Mingolet, Valencia, Lovren, Wijnaldum, Mkhitaryan, Origi, Rashford

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's a sad for football when James Milner is the first choice left back for both United and the dippers.

Very sad day.

IRELANDUNITED

Would it be terribly biased of me to say I don't think any of their team would improve us much?
Our keeper and back 4 are superior to anything they have IMO.
In a midfield 3, Pogba and Carrick are by far the best 2 players either side have to offer, Herrera and lallana would be close.
Attacking midfield is where they have some good players but would mane/counthino be better then miki/martial or mata? Not for me. Up front there's only one man you'd want, Zlatan.

Overall Lallana and Mane are their 2 best players and would be the closest thing they could offer to improve our 11 but I don't think they'd be a major upgrade on what we have already. Our squad is very good.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
----------De Gea-----------
Val/Clyne-Matip-Rojo*-Milner
-----------Carrick-----------
----Herr/Lall-----Pogba----
Micky/Mata--Ibra--Coutinho

Unquestionable inclusions - De Gea, Matip, Milner, Carrick, Pogba, Ibra, Coutinho.

Valencia and Clyne are around the same level, with Clyne being better at crossing the ball and Valencia being better overall, tough choice, but I'll go with my United bias.

Rojo - the most on-form of our defenders? Ideally it should be Bailly, but he left us already, so it's a toss up between Jones and Rojo and Rojo would be more comfortable at LCB. Matip is having a stellar season so far. Milner too, while we don't have a starting left-back.

No one like Carrick in any of the teams. Pogba is the best midfielder in the Premier-league, Herrera would compliment him better, but Lallana is also great in a similar role, so it's another toss-up.

Coutinho is more mature than Martial at the moment, even though he shoots endlessly from every position. Ibra is a beast and Micky should start on the right, although it can be argued that he hadn't played enough for us to make it to the combined XI (then Mata marginally ahead of Mane)