g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Combined Man Utd Liverpool 11

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Would it be terribly biased of me to say I don't think any of their team would improve us much?
Our keeper and back 4 are superior to anything they have IMO.
In a midfield 3, Pogba and Carrick are by far the best 2 players either side have to offer, Herrera and lallana would be close.
Attacking midfield is where they have some good players but would mane/counthino be better then miki/martial or mata? Not for me. Up front there's only one man you'd want, Zlatan.

Overall Lallana and Mane are their 2 best players and would be the closest thing they could offer to improve our 11 but I don't think they'd be a major upgrade on what we have already. Our squad is very good.
Milner would genuinely improve us, although it's a short-term solution. Other than that - can be argued that Matip and Coutinho are good enough to start for us, but I wouldn't have take either of them (nor would I take Milner though)

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
The fact that so many people are arguing over the Valencia/Clyne inclusion shows that it's pretty close. If we were to play a game tomorrow, irregardless of injuries:

de Gea
RB - Bailly - Matip - Milner
Carrick
Pogba - Lallana
Mané - Ibrahimovic - Mkhitaryan​

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I'm surprised people have included Mkhitarian already. He has played 5 games, scoring 2 goals and 0 assists. I really rate him as a player, but he hasn't showed enough to be ahead of Lallana (7 goals and 7 assists) Mane (9 goals and 4 assists) and Coutinho (5 goals and 5 assists).

Eire Red United

BBased on this season

-------------
De Gea

Valencia - Bailly - Rojo - Milner
--------------Carrick
---------Lallana - Pogba
---Mane --- Zlatan --- Coutinho

Feel bad leaving Herrera out but Lallana has been very good for them.
Herrera is better than Lallana in my opinion. Tough one to leave Miki and Mata out, I think at least one if not both should be in that team.

Eire Red United

The fact that so many people are arguing over the Valencia/Clyne inclusion shows that it's pretty close. If we were to play a game tomorrow, irregardless of injuries:

de Gea
RB - Bailly - Matip - Milner
Carrick
Pogba - Lallana
Mané - Ibrahimovic - Mkhitaryan​
Valencia by a mile for me.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
DDG
Valencia Bailly Matip Clyne
Herrera
Pogba Coutinho
Mane/Mkhi Ibrahimovic Firmino

BorisDeLeFora

I imagine he was trying to base it on form, or in the sense that certain players may have been performing at a higher level than their perceived ability compared to others, which is why they were picked.

As others have said, a lot depends on the systems, which are reasonably different, from a midfield/attack point of view at least.

Thisistheone

Herrera is better than Lallana in my opinion. Tough one to leave Miki and Mata out, I think at least one if not both should be in that team.
I prefer Herrera but based on this season, Lallana has contributed more goals from midfield. Liverpool score a fair bit more than us, thats why I put their attackers in the side over ours. Mkhitaryan's season has only really just started. 5 games.

Hopefullly when we come to do this next season it'll be full of Utd players. But Liverpool have done well at the half way stage.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
I'm surprised people have included Mkhitarian already. He has played 5 games, scoring 2 goals and 0 assists. I really rate him as a player, but he hasn't showed enough to be ahead of Lallana (7 goals and 7 assists) Mane (9 goals and 4 assists) and Coutinho (5 goals and 5 assists).
How many of those appearances for the Liverpool players were as subs for 10-20 minutes? Because about half, at least, of Mkhi's have been, one of his starts he was injured. He's a game changer in every sense.

cyberman

Too many people are listening to the scouse propaganda concerning Matip. Jones right now has been better than Matip has ever been, it's simply because he's the best of a Scouse bad bunch. When they cry about missing him it's not because he's a great player, it's due to him being slightly less donkey-ish.
If they signed Willaims or Evans in the summer we would be hearing the same thing. Thats before you add In the ability x10 boost when he's laying in the physio room and we've got a legendary player on our hands.

TheReligion

Abusive
I find it odd that Clyne is getting in over Valencia who has been part of a much better defensive unit whilst offering great attacking threat.

Clyne is also average.

Skåre Willoch

Brede Hangeland (former Fulham, Crystal Palace and captain for Norway) has given his best XI as well:

De Gea
Valencia - Matip - Jones - Milner
Henderson - Lallana - Pogba
Mkhitaryan - Zlatan - Coutinho

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
How many of those appearances for the Liverpool players were as subs for 10-20 minutes? Because about half, at least, of Mkhi's have been, one of his starts he was injured. He's a game changer in every sense.
Well, when we come to the end of the season he might be considered among the best players in the league, but for me he has not shown it yet. And when he was on the bench for various reasons the front players of Liverpool were producing. If Mkhiki produce to his potential for the rest of the season he can be in the conversation, but right now his inclusion got a touch of 'new toy' feel about it, just like people would probably have included Martial 5 games after he joined United.

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
----------De Gea-----------
Val/Clyne-Matip-Rojo*-Milner
-----------Carrick-----------
----Herr/Lall-----Pogba----
Micky/Mata--Ibra--Coutinho

Unquestionable inclusions - De Gea, Matip, Milner, Carrick, Pogba, Ibra, Coutinho.

Valencia and Clyne are around the same level, with Clyne being better at crossing the ball and Valencia being better overall, tough choice, but I'll go with my United bias.

Rojo - the most on-form of our defenders? Ideally it should be Bailly, but he left us already, so it's a toss up between Jones and Rojo and Rojo would be more comfortable at LCB. Matip is having a stellar season so far. Milner too, while we don't have a starting left-back.

No one like Carrick in any of the teams. Pogba is the best midfielder in the Premier-league, Herrera would compliment him better, but Lallana is also great in a similar role, so it's another toss-up.

Coutinho is more mature than Martial at the moment, even though he shoots endlessly from every position. Ibra is a beast and Micky should start on the right, although it can be argued that he hadn't played enough for us to make it to the combined XI (then Mata marginally ahead of Mane)
Thats actually a very neutral view on it. I dont think I can have any arguments with that, other than Mané. I think hes ahead of Mata and Mhik. But yeah no complaints here.

El-Manos

Mane > Mata and probably Mkhitaryan on this season's form.

Also, Henderson has statistically been the league's best holding midfielder this season.

De Gea
Clyne
Matip
Bailly
Milner

Henderson
Pogba
Lallana

Mane
Ibra
Coutinho

7/4 in Liverpool's favour, and pretty reasonable I think, considering the season thus far.
That's a fair team apart from Clyne, Valencia has clearly been better this season.

CM

de Gea
Valencia Jones Rojo Milner
Carrick
Lallana Pogba
Mkhitaryan Ibrahimovic Coutinho
Easy.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Based on ability...

------------De Gea--------------
Valenica--Bailey--Smalling---Shaw
-------------Carrick---------------
-------Herrera------Pogba--------
Mkhitaryan-Ibrahimovic-Coutinho

Utds squad is one of the best in the league for me on ability. People don't understand that ability isn't everything that team and tactics are more fundamental.

Based on form...

--------------De Gea--------------
Valencia---Jones----Rojo---Milner
--------------Carrick--------------
-------Herrera--------Pogba------
Mane-------Ibrahimovic----Mkhitaryan

This might have been different afew weeks ago and there's afew positions under debate. Mane/coutinho/mkhitaryan/martial could all interchange depending on form. Liverpools defence is still very poor for me with only matip looking like he's anything like good enough.

Seen some people on here favour liverpools team greatly, think that's gonna get shown up this weekend with Utd proving that with their extra ability Liverpool will be no match. 3-1 I reckon

Oneunited26

God is herrera underrated at times, never have I seen a player be such an engine to the united midfield, we talk about Pogba, herrera is one of the highest interceptions in the PL game today, he does the hard graft that allows Pogba to drive at teams. I would not swap any of our midfield 3 and front 2 of Mkhi and zlatan, mane would get on one side, but matrial be quiet happy on the other side. With liverpools leaking defense, who would take liverpools backline? the way united are looking its hard to press how many liverpool players would get into the team. Yes liverpool are higher up the table, souness must be high if he thinks that liverpool midfield he would choose over united's, especially pogba and herrera. You can't get any better than carrick, herrera and pogba, its just a combination with so much to give its built to face anyone. We add ability and perfect team tactics Jose is combining, its now showing united if they kept their nerve in those dropped points, we be 10 or more so better off in the table

Based on ability...

------------De Gea--------------
Valenica--Bailey--Smalling---Shaw
-------------Carrick---------------
-------Herrera------Pogba--------
Mkhitaryan-Ibrahimovic-Coutinho

Utds squad is one of the best in the league for me on ability. People don't understand that ability isn't everything that team and tactics are more fundamental.

Based on form...

--------------De Gea--------------
Valencia---Jones----Rojo---Milner
--------------Carrick--------------
-------Herrera--------Pogba------
Mane-------Ibrahimovic----Mkhitaryan

This might have been different afew weeks ago and there's afew positions under debate. Mane/coutinho/mkhitaryan/martial could all interchange depending on form. Liverpools defence is still very poor for me with only matip looking like he's anything like good enough.

Seen some people on here favour liverpools team greatly, think that's gonna get shown up this weekend with Utd proving that with their extra ability Liverpool will be no match. 3-1 I reckon
Can anyone say if a gun was pointed to their head, would anyone choose that liverpool spine? over the current united spine, in current form, current system, individuals, and the power both sides have got, united do have more in the locker, that is just the reality.

DDG,
jones, rojo,
carrick,
herrera, pogba,
zlatan

That spine has all the tools to win any game, and keep it tight at the back, because of what is infront of the backline. You build whats around that spine, you got a team that can win trophy's

Last edited:

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Which manager though?

(I would go for Klopp :nervous:)

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
This season:

De Gea
Valencia Matip Jones Milner
Henderson
Lallana Pogba
Mane Ibrahimovic Coutinho
Overall:

De Gea
Clyne Matip Bailly Shaw
Carrick
Coutinho Pogba
Mane Ibrahimovic Mkhitaryan​

Sigma

Yeah, this thread was supposed to be based on this seasons form (i.e. who would be the best players on the pitch you could pick tomorrow) but what ever I should have said that in the OP :lol:

Bwuk

If I'm offered both squads, everyone 100% fit and available for selection I'd go with...

De Gea
Valencia - Bailly - Matip - Blind
Carrick
Coutinho - Pogba
Mkhitaryan - Zlatan - Martial​

Fridge chutney

Karius
Darmian - Klavan - Lovren - Moreno
Lucas
Can - Fellaini
Lingard - Sturridge - Young

IRELANDUNITED

Milner would genuinely improve us, although it's a short-term solution. Other than that - can be argued that Matip and Coutinho are good enough to start for us, but I wouldn't have take either of them (nor would I take Milner though)
I still have high hopes for Shaw and overall i think he's a much better left back than Millner

Robbie Boy

I find it odd that Clyne is getting in over Valencia who has been part of a much better defensive unit whilst offering great attacking threat.

Clyne is also average.
It's bizarre. I actually think Clyne is below average. Very poor player altogether.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Based on this season's form:

De Gea
Valencia - Matip - Jones - Milner
Carrick
Lallana - Pogba
Mane - Ibra - Coutinho

In terms of balance though you couldn't play that midfield. I'd also be surprised if Jones held that position until the end of the season and Mkhi didn't force his way in to the combined 11 eventually.

Oneunited26

If I'm offered both squads, everyone 100% fit and available for selection I'd go with...

De Gea
Valencia - Bailly - Matip - Blind
Carrick
Coutinho - Pogba
Mkhitaryan - Zlatan - Martial​
Swap coutinho with herrera, martial for mane, matip for smalling, maybe shaw for blind if he regains what he is capable of, and we got a starting 11

when all said and done everyone focused

DDG
valencia, bailly, smalling, shaw
carrick,
herrera,pogba
Mkhi, zlatan, mane

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

In Liverpool's tactics:

-------------De Gea----------
--Valencia--Matip-Jones--Milner--
------------Henderson---------
-------Herrera-----Lallana-----
----Mane----Firmino----Coutinho---

* Henderson suits Klopp's system better than the 35 yo version of Carrick. No Pogba either because, if he was in the team, he'd be in Lallana's place as the more advanced midfielder. I have my opinion about who's the better player overall but when our Liverpool friends on here argue that Lallana (7 goals & 7 assists) has been integral to their team's campaign thus far, it's hard to disagree with them. But Herrera, as one of the players with the most interceptions/balls won in the attacking half in the PL, seems like a perfect fit for this high pressing Liverpool side.

* Zlatan could really help them when the high pressing hasn't bore fruit and they revert to circling possession and working out openings in the attacking half. But Firmino as a false nine has really been a revelation for them with his off the ball movement. They are good going forward and, as they say, "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". Furthermore, Zlatan isn't really compatible with Klopp's gegenpressing and, despite his obvious quality, i doubt he would have fitted well in their basic attacking plan.

In United's tactics:

--------------De Gea-----------
--------------Carrick------------
-------Herrera-----Pogba------
--Mane------Zlatan---Coutinho--

* Carrick with his ability to dictate tempo from a deeper position and with the defensive solidity his positional awareness can offer in the spaces between the two b2b midfielders and the back four gets the nod in Mourinho's tactics. Pogba starts ahead of Lallana because United want their furthest midfielder to play as a play maker whose ability on the ball in tight spaces will get the best of the runs the front three will provide. Lallana's primary objective is to take advantage of the spaces the attacking players create and offer end product. Both are good at what they're doing, it's just that they do different things.

* Mane and Coutinho over Mkhitaryan, Mata and Martial based solely on form this season.

ravelston

I prefer Herrera but based on this season, Lallana has contributed more goals from midfield. Liverpool score a fair bit more than us, thats why I put their attackers in the side over ours. Mkhitaryan's season has only really just started. 5 games.

Hopefullly when we come to do this next season it'll be full of Utd players. But Liverpool have done well at the half way stage.
Of course he has, he plays much further forward than Herrera. Lallana is kind of a hybrid of Herrera and Mkhitaryan (when he's playing on the right) - he's not as good as either of them in their particular positions but, I suspect, neither of them would be as good as Lallana in his position. So the question has to be - are we talking about a team playing our system or a team playing Liverpool's?

Thisistheone

Of course he has, he plays much further forward than Herrera. Lallana is kind of a hybrid of Herrera and Mkhitaryan (when he's playing on the right) - he's not as good as either of them in their particular positions but, I suspect, neither of them would be as good as Lallana in his position. So the question has to be - are we talking about a team playing our system or a team playing Liverpool's?
I didn't really go that deep into it, regarding style and coach's set-up etc.

If you pick one, that determines the players really. Cos if we're going with Liverpool's system then there's going to be all Liverpool in attack. Firmino over Zlatan. And the other way around if we're going with our system.

I just picked an XI based on the individuals form this season. Herrera has been excellent but ideally we want more goals from our midfield so I put Lallana in there. Could have easily gone with Ander. Like I could have gone with Jones in defence.

hobbers

Would normally only take Mane. With Bailly being away I supposed I'd take Matip as well.

Both teams have shit full backs imo. Valencia is probably the best of the lot, and I'd still take Darmian or Blind over Milner. Coutinho is sometimes magnificent, sometimes no presence at all and just a long short merchant.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
In Liverpool's tactics:

-------------De Gea----------
------------Henderson---------
-------Herrera-----Lallana-----
----Mane----Firmino----Coutinho---

* Henderson suits Klopp's system better than the 35 yo version of Carrick. No Pogba either because, if he was in the team, he'd be in Lallana's place as the more advanced midfielder. I have my opinion about who's the better player overall but when our Liverpool friends on here argue that Lallana (7 goals & 7 assists) has been integral to their team's campaign thus far, it's hard to disagree with them. But Herrera, as one of the players with the most interceptions/balls won in the attacking half in the PL, seems like a perfect fit for this high pressing Liverpool side.

* Zlatan could really help them when the high pressing hasn't bore fruit and they revert to circling possession and working out openings in the attacking half. But Firmino as a false nine has really been a revelation for them with his off the ball movement. They are good going forward and, as they say, "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". Furthermore, Zlatan isn't really compatible with Klopp's gegenpressing and, despite his obvious quality, i doubt he would have fitted well in their basic attacking plan.

In United's tactics:

--------------De Gea-----------
--------------Carrick------------
-------Herrera-----Pogba------
--Mane------Zlatan---Coutinho--

* Carrick with his ability to dictate tempo from a deeper position and with the defensive solidity his positional awareness can offer in the spaces between the two b2b midfielders and the back four gets the nod in Mourinho's tactics. Pogba starts ahead of Lallana because United want their furthest midfielder to play as a play maker whose ability on the ball in tight spaces will get the best of the runs the front three will provide. Lallana's primary objective is to take advantage of the spaces the attacking players create and offer end product. Both are good at what they're doing, it's just that they do different things.

* Mane and Coutinho over Mkhitaryan, Mata and Martial based solely on form this season.
I like this. Herrera would indeed be boss for us in midfield.