"Come on Smithy"

blythy

Fascist Dictator
mu77 said:
why is this in the united forum?
I don't think that, I, as a Manchester United fan, could chant for Alan Smith, who it seems, will be a Manchester United player soon...

JJ_Batchelor

I'm not bothered about the Leeds connection really. He's the type of character who'll give 100% for whoever he's playing for...I think he'll even spill blood for us if he had to.

I don't want him for footballing reasons only.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
JJ_Batchelor said:
I'm not bothered about the Leeds connection really. He's the type of character who'll give 100% for whoever he's playing for...I think he'll even spill blood for us if he had to.

yeh id agree with that. as long as he gave his all for us everytime he played then i could grow to like him. eventually. maybe

blythy

Fascist Dictator
JJ_Batchelor said:
I'm not bothered about the Leeds connection really.
It's the fact he's a Prize Cnut which bothers me more...

Dominant

it's gonna be hard for ALAN smith to win over the fans if he should come to OT. most of the fans (esp in this forum) are always calling him all sort of names, and accusing him of singing munich songs, etc.

I suggest we put aside our pre-conceived misconceptions first and see what he can do if he should signs.

can we? or will the OT crowd boo him on his home debut? that would be a shame.

United10

let's just hope that everton beat us to him. i would find it hard to support smith in a united uniform. he's one of those players that i have grown to despise. let smith go, find someone else out there who is worth chasing.

dave007

Proud Squareballer
In reply to agent Kidd’s undercover work at Leeds, which led to disastrous financial problems, change in style of play and unrest in the playing staff, Leeds have released their own undercover agent…

Agent Smith’s jobs involve:

Lying to the fans
Hitting the ball over the goal posts
Picking up as many yellow and red cards as possible
Kissing the badge and being a false fan's favourite
Throwing bottles at home fans

Jason F

It would be a shame if he were booed by his new supporters, Rio was a Leeds player and didnt get booed, admittedly he isnt in Alan Smiths league. I dont think Smithy will fit in with us personally but i have nothing else against him and if he signs il cheer him on like anyone else.

Julian Denny

This is all a lot of nonsense. Of course there's fierce and often bitter rivalry between the two clubs. Smith can't be held responsible for that. Clearly Fergie thinks he's a good player, which he is, and more importantly he wants to join us ahead of other Clubs. I suggest most fans will "forgive and forget" when he pulls on a United shirt and then everyone will be behind him when he scores his first goal for us.

manu4eva!

JJ_Batchelor said:

I doubt he would be giving his all for us though :nono: , he's played for an anti-manUtd team his entire career... hard to see...

ryansgirl

Oh and of course all the other Premier League teams are pro-Manchester United, aren`t they? They are such paragons of fairness when it comes to matters MU - it`s only that crew from over the Pennines who are anti-MU, isn`t it?

An opposition team is an opposition team. Opposition teams can have good fans who are fair and scum who associate themselves with the team but wouldn`t know what football is about. Chelsea fans count some of the nastiest, most bitter fans you could meet anywhere - and if you go by their hooligans, some of the scummiest.

There is an extra rivalry with Leeds but please remember one thing - the modern era of football happened a long time ago and with it came professionalism. Players have the right to move between clubs as they wish, and I for one would question the ambition of a player of Smith`s quality and future potential if he decided to stay with the no-hoper manager and management that have dragged Leeds down to the First Division although the players have to also take responsibility.

If Roy Keane had come from Leeds he would have had the same comments made about him. Dirty scumbag, thug, criminal etc etc ad nauseum. The only reason Eric didn`t get that stick was because he was a foreigner who was never really associated with Leeds - he went to the club, helped it to the title but never really fitted in. He is also a different type of player from Keano and Smith.

But if you try to tell me that Keano would have been welcomed with open arms from Leeds if he had played for them - what a load of nonsense. He was already considered a `dirty` player by opposition fans when he was with Nottingham Forest and that would have been blown right out of proportion if he had played for Leeds.

Britalian

Aka Chico_Malor
giggsgirl said:
Oh and of course all the other Premier League teams are pro-Manchester United, aren`t they? They are such paragons of fairness when it comes to matters MU - it`s only that crew from over the Pennines who are anti-MU, isn`t it?

An opposition team is an opposition team. Opposition teams can have good fans who are fair and scum who associate themselves with the team but wouldn`t know what football is about. Chelsea fans count some of the nastiest, most bitter fans you could meet anywhere - and if you go by their hooligans, some of the scummiest.

There is an extra rivalry with Leeds but please remember one thing - the modern era of football happened a long time ago and with it came professionalism. Players have the right to move between clubs as they wish, and I for one would question the ambition of a player of Smith`s quality and future potential if he decided to stay with the no-hoper manager and management that have dragged Leeds down to the First Division although the players have to also take responsibility.

If Roy Keane had come from Leeds he would have had the same comments made about him. Dirty scumbag, thug, criminal etc etc ad nauseum. The only reason Eric didn`t get that stick was because he was a foreigner who was never really associated with Leeds - he went to the club, helped it to the title but never really fitted in. He is also a different type of player from Keano and Smith.

But if you try to tell me that Keano would have been welcomed with open arms from Leeds if he had played for them - what a load of nonsense. He was already considered a `dirty` player by opposition fans when he was with Nottingham Forest and that would have been blown right out of proportion if he had played for Leeds.
You go girl!! Everything you have said is spot on.

Sc40les

bring Smith in, sell out Forlan. :D

We must see for the future.. he's young and talented. and Smith is a type of player who will give everything in the pitch. :)

zXe

Livvie's Personal IT Consultant
giggsgirl, you talk nothing but sense. Every post, every time. Well done. I agree completely.

Drifter

American
Gabe said:
"Its United or no one." says Smith
Thats a positive sign, eh.
What choice does he have, Everton?.No one wants him .As i have said before when leeds were flying high he said that he would never join Utd.

Keilyn27

who's the bigger muppet - ostrich or chicken littl
Smith comes from Lids, so does Milner. Yet there wasn't any "he's Lids Scum" hostility towards the latter when he was linked to Utd.

It is Smith’s own behaviour that created the current level of animosity towards him. His rep and comments in the past about Utd enhanced his hero status amongst the Lids fans and no doubt he's enjoyed that. Now when he's on the verge of joining Utd, it's rebounded on him.

2 sides of the coin really, he's created the mess himself so he's got to deal with it.

ryansgirl

How do you know no other team wants him?

As for what he said, think about it - any top player at any team that is challenging MU usually says they would never come to Old Trafford, their team will be up there with them, etc, etc. Perhaps Paddy V is the exception. He is on record as saying `Never say never` about MU.

Given that Roy Keane actually shook hands with Kenny Dalglish when he was being courted by Blackburn so Kenny assumed it was a done deal (it wasn`t because he hadn`t given Keano anything to sign), I think these kinds of things, including players claiming they will never go to a particular club because that club is a rival, etc, is understandable.

When Smith was saying those kinds of things, Leeds were flying high, had outperformed other English clubs in Europe etc. Do you remember Becks appearing on the front cover of United mag saying `United fans will never lose me`. Afterwards we found out his agent was talking to Real with his permission around that time.

Footballers have to be flexible - they would be crazy not to in such a short career.

Britalian

Aka Chico_Malor
Drifter said:
What choice does he have, Everton?.No one wants him .As i have said before when leeds were flying high he said that he would never join Utd.

well he wouldnt say that he'd join us when leeds were flying high for obvious reasons!

Now he could go to all the other teams that have bid for him but in his head he thinks he'd feel most settled at Utd. I'm sure he's clever enough to know that there will be doubters in certain sections of the crowd, he'll want to prove those supporters wrong!

can only be a good thing, Saha has the same attitude, Utd or nought.

Keilyn27

who's the bigger muppet - ostrich or chicken littl
While supporters tend to be more patient with new signings, an unpopular player with years of experience in the PL won’t get a long grace period, certainly not as long as Forlan’s. Smith's got to make a positive impact immediately or many'll be getting on his back.

Smith's never been a prolific scorer so that pretty much rules out winning Utd fans over with multiple goals. If he overdoes his fire and determination bit, he'll head for the early showers. Given his rep, the ref won't be giving him the benfit of the doubt. (See Cris who's acquired an unfair rep of being a diver. Now he gets carded for diving even when he's clearly been fouled.)

Sc40les

Keilyn27 said:
Smith comes from Lids, so does Milner. Yet there wasn't any "he's Lids Scum" hostility towards the latter when he was linked to Utd.

It is Smith’s own behaviour that created the current level of animosity towards him. His rep and comments in the past about Utd enhanced his hero status amongst the Lids fans and no doubt he's enjoyed that. Now when he's on the verge of joining Utd, it's rebounded on him.

2 sides of the coin really, he's created the mess himself so he's got to deal with it.
good post. :)

that's why i want Smith to joint United. to proved us, that he's a Quality players not a Quality talker.