"Come on Smithy"

ryansgirl

Damn it - greendemon and shane have responded reasonably to my posts disagreeing with them!

Don`t agree with your assessment of Smith (I want him to be an MU player) but you were very rational in your replies. Nice to read them!

Shane B

Not Fat, Old, Racist or Scouse
green demon said:
The point is - I don't see Smith as a Man United player and I hope we don't buy him. I don't believe SAF has "lost his marbles" but I would surely wonder if he had if he buys that thug.
I am a big SAF fan, but he is human and makes a few mistakes, the good thing is his plusses are much better than his minuses.
He will need one almighty plus to combat the signing of Miffer.
I had a dream last night that it was all a wind up by United and that Miffer made a public speech saying he wanted to sign for us, then SAF laughed and said he didn't want him! Oh I wish!

Shane B

giggsgirl said:
Damn it - greendemon and shane have responded reasonably to my posts disagreeing with them!

Don`t agree with your assessment of Smith (I want him to be an MU player) but you were very rational in your replies. Nice to read them!
In the unfortunate event of us signing him, I am going to question you on his many mess ups and poor performances! You have been warned! ;)

uranushk1

I'd Bellion if I said I were an optimist
giggsgirl said:

Shane and green demon are right. As long as Smith still hasn't put his pen and sign his name on the paper, I still wish everyday that we won't sign him. We'd better save our money and effort on better players who can really improve our team.

Julian Denny

uranushk1 said:
Shane and green demon are right. As long as Smith still hasn't put his pen and sign his name on the paper, I still wish everyday that we won't sign him. We'd better save our money and effort on better players who can really improve our team.
Well you'd better get used to the idea because he's having a medical today and the deal will be announced on Wednesday. He's a good player with a dubious temperament. Fergie obviously thinks he'll fit in and he can turn him into a great player by channelling his aggression into positives for Smith himself and the team. I'll go along with that.

thoward

It's not a lisp!
Julian Denny said:
Well you'd better get used to the idea because he's having a medical today and the deal will be announced on Wednesday. He's a good player with a dubious temperament. Fergie obviously thinks he'll fit in and he can turn him into a great player by channelling his aggression into positives for Smith himself and the team. I'll go along with that.
Hope you are right Julian. Sir Alex may seem him as a Mark Hughes type, not a clinical goalscore but very good at holding the ball up and bringing others into the play.
Personally I need much convincing and he needs to improve his on pitch discipline which to be fair he has been doing over the last 3,4 months. Sir Alex would no doubt be impressed by him being teetotal etc.
If the Munich chant rumours happened to be true then I would be very displeased though.

Spoony

There seems to be two sets of fans that are against Smith signing for United.

Group 1.

Hate the idea, because he's Leeds United thru and thru. Their judgment is clouded due to rivalry we have with the Scum. (mine was too, but I've come around to thinking he could become a good buy, setting aside my hatred. The idea that Leeds fans will become suicidal has it's positives :angel: :drool: )

Group 2.

Think he's fecking crap. And they want players with great reputations instead.(And hype). This section of the fans are gutted and depressed. Most think we're heading into PL oblivion, with signings of his calibre. I've read comments from, United becoming another Wimbledon, to lets all cry, as this is the end blah blah blah. These lot only use the 'hatred' angle, to support their arguments. It's fair to say, they're probably from the Championship Manager generation.

Right. I think we're getting a decent player. 7m isn't exactly breaking the bank. So overall, I think he'll be a good deal. (SPIT)

Shane B

Spoony said:

Group 1.

Hate the idea, because he's Leeds United thru and thru. Their judgment is clouded due to rivalry we have with the Scum. (mine was too, but I've come around to thinking he could become a good buy, setting aside my hatred. The idea that Leeds fans will become suicidal has it's positives :angel: :drool: )

Group 2.

Think he's fecking crap. And they want players with great reputations instead.(And hype). This section of the fans are gutted and depressed. Most think we're heading into PL oblivion, with signings of his calibre. I've read comments from, United becoming another Wimbledon, to lets all cry, as this is the end blah blah blah. These lot only use the 'hatred' angle, to support their arguments. It's fair to say, they're probably from the Championship Manager generation.

Right. I think we're getting a decent player. 7m isn't exactly breaking the bank. So overall, I think he'll be a good deal. (SPIT)
I fall into neither group so here is my own group.

Group 3.

People in this group believe that Smith is not good enough to play for United, with or without his Leeds background, Munich songs, badge kissing and comments.
People in this group believe that because Manchester United are the richest club in the world, they might spend some of that money on great footballers instead of mediocre ones. People in this group have spent more money than they can afford for the last 25 years watching United and people in this group are not happy that after a mediocre season we are about to sign a mediocre player. People in this group believe they are being short changed by a greedy PLC who do not want to part with the never ending profits they receive. People in this group can also see that Miffer is not as good as Ruud, Saha and Ole and would simply be sitting in the place left by another mediocre waste of space aka Forlan. Also people in this group do not give a shit how hurt Leeds fans would be to see Miffer playing for us, as they are a crap division 1 outfit who are no concern of ours.

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
Shane Bluck said:

Group 3.

People in this group believe that Smith is not good enough to play for United, with or without his Leeds background, Munich songs, badge kissing and comments.
People in this group believe that because Manchester United are the richest club in the world, they might spend some of that money on great footballers instead of mediocre ones. People in this group have spent more money than they can afford for the last 25 years watching United and people in this group are not happy that after a mediocre season we are about to sign a mediocre player. People in this group believe they are being short changed by a greedy PLC who do not want to part with the never ending profits they receive. People in this group can also see that Miffer is not as good as Ruud, Saha and Ole and would simply be sitting in the place left by another mediocre waste of space aka Forlan. Also people in this group do not give a shit how hurt Leeds fans would be to see Miffer playing for us, as they are a crap division 1 outfit who are no concern of ours.
Wow. Points powerfully made. You are summing up my position so concisely that I am also a Group 3-er without any shadow of a doubt. If he comes, however, I hope we're wrong - but I don't think we will be.

lchk

Shane Bluck said:

Group 3.

Well, I'm in Group 3.

Frankly speaking, Smith isn't better than the top three strikers at Utd so why bother with him?

Shane B

I would like to thank Ichk and Green Demon for backing my points, as I was starting to think I was the mad one and Miffer from Leeds is going to be the next King of OT! ;)
We have had many dark days at United, which put this into insignificance, but signing Miffer has made me seriously unhappy.

Gumpy

I don't know how long most of you have been supporting Man Utd so some may not be able to answer the following questions.

It seems that some don't want Smith because of the Leeds connection. Some don't think he is good enough. Some want him for his bulldog.

My question relates to is he good enough.

On the day Cantona signed did people think he would be good enough ?
Ditto Yorke
Ditto Ole
Ditto Teddy
Ditto Saha
Ditto Ruud

My answers:

Cantona - I expected him to be good enough but he exceeded expectations
Yorke - I did not expect a lot from him
Ole - ditto
Teddy - I expected a steady performer and he exceeded my expectations
Saha - so far he has exceeded my expectations and my prediction is he will be a great buy for the club
Ruud - I had high expectations and they have been met

In summary most of SAFs attacking purchases have exceeded my expectations. Yes Man Utd have loads of money. Unfortunately there are money hungry people making decsions about that money rather than football fans. SAF likes to go for "bargains". Before you jump down my throat 6-8m is less than the 12m for Saha. If Smith becomes a worthy 3rd/4th striker he will have been a bargain. Who better could we get for 8m ?

I don't know if he will come good but I see enough potential to warrant the purchase. If Ruud goes I would like to see a 20m+ striker come in. Smith is no more than a backup striker. I rate him higher than Forlan. I believe Fergie can turn the potential into product.

I am not a local but do hate Leeds. If Smith comes to fcuk us around then I will be the first to tell him to bugger off home but I predict that will not be necessary.

uranushk1

Spoony said:

Group 1.

Group 2.

Shane made a fantastic point below and I am in group 3.

Stop your pathetic and innocent accuse that everyone who don't rate Smith are playing Championship Manager, because, as most people who REALLY play that game know, Championship Manager always overrate English players. If you are playing CM, England would probably win the World Cup with Alan Smith as the golden boot. :lol:

uranushk1

Julian Denny said:
Well you'd better get used to the idea because he's having a medical today and the deal will be announced on Wednesday.
That will be one of my most disappointing moment as an United supporters. But if it is true, I will treat him fairly just like any other new comers and hope he will prove me wrong.

Shane B

Gumpy said:
Cantona - I expected him to be good enough but he exceeded expectations
Yorke - I did not expect a lot from him
Ole - ditto
Teddy - I expected a steady performer and he exceeded my expectations
Saha - so far he has exceeded my expectations and my prediction is he will be a great buy for the club
Ruud - I had high expectations and they have been met
Cantona - I was made up that we got him so cheap and excited at what he may produce, he was a player I had admired for a couple of seasons but no one in the world could have predicted what an awesome player he turned out to be.
Yorke - I thought we paid a bit over the odds for him, and he delivered roughly what I expected from him.
Ole - I knew nothing about him until we signed him, but recognised him as a quality squad member fairly quickly.
Teddy - I was dubious about Teddy, but always liked his great footballing brain, he exceeded my expectations.
Saha - Was dubious about signing him, and the jury is still out, my gut instinct tells me he will be good but not great.
Ruud - new he was quality and he has proved it.
Forlan - didn't know too much about him, I know more than enough now!
Smith - Would fit in nicely at Everton or may even fit in well at a slightly better club, eg Villa or Birmingham, NOT at Man Utd

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
Gumpy said:
I don't know how long most of you have been supporting Man Utd so some may not be able to answer the following questions.

It seems that some don't want Smith because of the Leeds connection. Some don't think he is good enough. Some want him for his bulldog.

My question relates to is he good enough.

On the day Cantona signed did people think he would be good enough ?
Ditto Yorke
Ditto Ole
Ditto Teddy
Ditto Saha
Ditto Ruud

I was delighted with Cantona but, as someone else said, he was even better than I could have guessed.
Yorke - I was only worried we might lose Andy Cole but was generally pleased. He did well for us, I thought.
Ole - like Shane said - I didn't know much about him but he was immediately impressive.
Teddy - I thought he would be a good backup striker but he proved he was better than that.
Saha - Not too sure on pruchase, but I am becoming convinced.
Ruud - High expectation - not disappointed.
Forlan - Didn't know much about him but trusted SAF, sadly disappointing.

Spoony

uranushk1 said:
Shane made a fantastic point below and I am in group 3.

Stop your pathetic and innocent accuse that everyone who don't rate Smith are playing Championship Manager, because, as most people who REALLY play that game know, Championship Manager always overrate English players. If you are playing CM, England would probably win the World Cup with Alan Smith as the golden boot. :lol:

You are in group 2.

'We are going the way of Wimbledon if we sign Smith'

The end is nigh, isn't it. By the way, keep laughing at your posts.

redmanc

I think he's going to offer us something we've missed all season, if he plays like he did the latter half of this season then the desire and effort alone that he puts in will be a welcome boost and may even encourage others around him on the pitch to do the same.

Couldnt care less if he supports leeds or played for leeds in the past, kissed his badge or whatever, Fergie thinks hes good enough for Man Utd then its good enough for me to accept it, so should you.

What you going to do when he scores a winner next season in a game we really want / need to win, boo? didn't think so.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
i also think smith should nt come only 4 footballing reasons

what is his feckin position : striker, attackin mid f, defensive mid f
i mean don tell me we r buying him as a stiker. what 30 goals in last 4 years
also don spout shit here about how he could accomplish other things , being a striker is bout scoring goals
at best we could play him in supportive role but then why do we need him at all , we have scholes

uranushk1

Spoony said:
You are in group 2.

Your comment is childish. You don't even admit there is a group 3 and in your opinion all people who don't rate Smith technically are in group 2, which is, championship manager generation. You need to open your eyes and see that not everyone rate Smith as a very talented young player in the world (or even in England), and they have their fair agruments about why they think so.

uranushk1

Spoony said:
You are in group 2.

Further more, I don't fit in your group 2. Although I agree Smith is crap and I said that Smith looks like a Winbledon player, I never say "reputation" or "hype" is something we need to use to access a player. On record, I never made any objection when we signed Howard and Djemba, and when we signed Saha I even said that it is a good signing. I have my idea and my standard to rate a player, but sadly you seem to think that any people who don't rate Smith are big-name-hunters and championship manager generation, which show how narrow-minded is you.

JJ_Batchelor

Shane Bluck said:
Group 3.

I'm a Group 3'er....but have since changed my mind about the lad. He's not good enough at the moment....but at 23...he will only improve. He's got the raw elements to play up front. He is not really creative but his technique is not bad. I watched an old tape of Smith against us at OT yesterday and if you focus on him the whole game....you'll have notice he gave Silvestre a torrid time. He might not look like a natural finisher and he's goal/games ratio is bad. Check out Alan Shearer's stats from the ages of 19 to 22. It's as bad if not worse than Smithy.

giggzy

The Fatter Bryan Robson
JJ_Batchelor said:
I'm a Group 3'er....but have since changed my mind about the lad. He's not good enough at the moment....but at 23...he will only improve. He's got the raw elements to play up front. He is not really creative but his technique is not bad. I watched an old tape of Smith against us at OT yesterday and if you focus on him the whole game....you'll have notice he gave Silvestre a torrid time. He might not look like a natural finisher and he's goal/games ratio is bad. Check out Alan Shearer's stats from the ages of 19 to 22. It's as bad if not worse than Smithy.

So what group do you fit in now??????

Is there a such thing as a group 4!!!????????? :eek:

JJ_Batchelor

giggzy said:
So what group do you fit in now??????

Is there a such thing as a group 4!!!????????? :eek:
Hate the idea, because he's Leeds United thru and thru. Their judgment is clouded due to rivalry we have with the Scum.

I'm definitely not from this group because I'm not from around there and I've only heard of the rivalry but not seen it first hand.

Think he's fecking crap. And they want players with great reputations instead.(And hype). This section of the fans are gutted and depressed. Most think we're heading into PL oblivion, with signings of his calibre.

I know he's not crap but I don't rate him as very good either. So I can't be from Group 2. I'm not one for going for players with big reputations. I base my judgements on players from watching them consistently. I happen to see lots and lots of football btw.

I agree with this bit.

People in this group believe that because Manchester United are the richest club in the world, they might spend some of that money on great footballers instead of mediocre ones.

I don't agree with this bit. I don't think we should be getting a striker in the first place.

People in this group can also see that Miffer is not as good as Ruud, Saha and Ole and would simply be sitting in the place left by another mediocre waste of space aka Forlan.

I agree with this.

Also people in this group do not give a shit how hurt Leeds fans would be to see Miffer playing for us, as they are a crap division 1 outfit who are no concern of ours.

I sympathise with them...... ..I'm a sentimental fellow.:)