"Come on Smithy"

ryansgirl

Oh and thanks zXe. As for Keily (sorry if I missplelt your name), I don`t disagree that Smith is going to have to account to MU fans if he comes here for his previous comments about Leeds and MU.

The issue for me is one of being realistic about footballing circumstances, especially as being a professional has changed completely in comparison to expectations of 20 years ago. Players move - even to hated rivals or just plain rivals. Players shake hands with other clubs courting them - and then move to MU. Players sit around on camera with fellow players gloating over their title win (Leeds when Eric Cantona was with them). An Old Trafford icon tells MU fans they will never lose him even while his agent is relaying something quite different to Real Madrid.

I understand the bias against Smith but ultimately that is what it is - bias based on emotion.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
giggsgirl said:
Oh and of course all the other Premier League teams are pro-Manchester United, aren`t they? They are such paragons of fairness when it comes to matters MU - it`s only that crew from over the Pennines who are anti-MU, isn`t it?

An opposition team is an opposition team. Opposition teams can have good fans who are fair and scum who associate themselves with the team but wouldn`t know what football is about. Chelsea fans count some of the nastiest, most bitter fans you could meet anywhere - and if you go by their hooligans, some of the scummiest.

There is an extra rivalry with Leeds but please remember one thing - the modern era of football happened a long time ago and with it came professionalism. Players have the right to move between clubs as they wish, and I for one would question the ambition of a player of Smith`s quality and future potential if he decided to stay with the no-hoper manager and management that have dragged Leeds down to the First Division although the players have to also take responsibility.

If Roy Keane had come from Leeds he would have had the same comments made about him. Dirty scumbag, thug, criminal etc etc ad nauseum. The only reason Eric didn`t get that stick was because he was a foreigner who was never really associated with Leeds - he went to the club, helped it to the title but never really fitted in. He is also a different type of player from Keano and Smith.

But if you try to tell me that Keano would have been welcomed with open arms from Leeds if he had played for them - what a load of nonsense. He was already considered a `dirty` player by opposition fans when he was with Nottingham Forest and that would have been blown right out of proportion if he had played for Leeds.

I think that you are generalising. For example I don’t care if a player comes from Leeds, abroad or even from another planet as long as he is good, we need him and the price is right, and fortunately, many posters down here share my same opinion about that.

I wouldn’t have argued if we signed Kewell, Robinson and even Smith from Leeds if, at the end of the day he is needed to our club and the price is right. But sorry I am in no mood of getting ripped off once again from a Leeds who is forced to sell Smith in no matter case. Smith is not a priority at OT (as we already have RVN, Ole, Saha and Scholes) and 8m is too much from a player whose goal’s rating can be easily compared to that of Heskey.

I know that people would say now that SAF know best etc etc etc but that is not the point. We are in this forum to discuss about the team that we love, and every poster has the right to voice his opinion whether it is popular or not. And I am sorry I don’t believe that Smith is needed at OT.

To conclude I would say that if Smith comes to OT I would wish him all the best, support him and hope that I was wrong about him.

Drifter

American
giggsgirl said:
How do you know no other team wants him? .

The only one to put a concrete bid in for him are Everton of 7mil who as been quoted to only have 1.5mil in the kitty.All this talk about liverpool,newcastle,aston villa being interested is just to get us to pay leeds there valuation of the player.As for foriegn interest who?.

kf

Julian Denny said:
This is all a lot of nonsense. Of course there's fierce and often bitter rivalry between the two clubs. Smith can't be held responsible for that. Clearly Fergie thinks he's a good player, which he is, and more importantly he wants to join us ahead of other Clubs. I suggest most fans will "forgive and forget" when he pulls on a United shirt and then everyone will be behind him when he scores his first goal for us.
Spot on. The rivalry between United and Leeds goes back many moons. When Dave Sexton signed Jordan & McQueen from Leeds there was a huge section of support (me included) who wanted Sexton sacked on the spot! Jordan had much the same reputation as Smith has now and McQueen was regarded as clumsy at best and dirty at worst. I remember Jordan's first game, walking up Warwick Road a guy we didn't know asked us what we thought of Joe. We told him in no uncertain terms that we weren't happy about it, I think the words scum, tw@t and filthy featured. Turned out to be Joe's brother! Both Jordan and McQueen went on to be firm United favourites.

The bottom line is whether you think Smith is a good enough player. I think he is and will get better playing with class players at United. Others don't think he's good enough. We'll see.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
giggsgirl said:
Oh and thanks zXe. As for Keily (sorry if I missplelt your name), I don`t disagree that Smith is going to have to account to MU fans if he comes here for his previous comments about Leeds and MU.

The issue for me is one of being realistic about footballing circumstances, especially as being a professional has changed completely in comparison to expectations of 20 years ago. Players move - even to hated rivals or just plain rivals. Players shake hands with other clubs courting them - and then move to MU. Players sit around on camera with fellow players gloating over their title win (Leeds when Eric Cantona was with them). An Old Trafford icon tells MU fans they will never lose him even while his agent is relaying something quite different to Real Madrid.

I understand the bias against Smith but ultimately that is what it is - bias based on emotion.
You talk a lot of sense giggsgirl!

Blythy....take note! ;)

giggzy

The Fatter Bryan Robson
kf said:
Spot on. The rivalry between United and Leeds goes back many moons. When Dave Sexton signed Jordan & McQueen from Leeds there was a huge section of support (me included) who wanted Sexton sacked on the spot! Jordan had much the same reputation as Smith has now and McQueen was regarded as clumsy at best and dirty at worst. I remember Jordan's first game, walking up Warwick Road a guy we didn't know asked us what we thought of Joe. We told him in no uncertain terms that we weren't happy about it, I think the words scum, tw@t and filthy featured. Turned out to be Joe's brother! Both Jordan and McQueen went on to be firm United favourites.

The bottom line is whether you think Smith is a good enough player. I think he is and will get better playing with class players at United. Others don't think he's good enough. We'll see.

Gordon McQueen:

"Ask all the players in the country which club they would like to play for and 99% would say 'Manchester United'. The other 1% are liars"

Same goes for purple lips. ;)

RioNkeanofan

First with the news
giggzy said:
Gordon McQueen:

"Ask all the players in the country which club they would like to play for and 99% would say 'Manchester United'. The other 1% are liars"

Same goes for purple lips. ;)
:lol:, paddy said something similar on mutv on tuesday i think except it was they all wanna play for Manchester United if they so no they are liars no 1% nonsense ;)

His lips are freakishly colored though.

giggzy

The Fatter Bryan Robson
giggsgirl said:
Oh and of course all the other Premier League teams are pro-Manchester United, aren`t they? They are such paragons of fairness when it comes to matters MU - it`s only that crew from over the Pennines who are anti-MU, isn`t it?

An opposition team is an opposition team. Opposition teams can have good fans who are fair and scum who associate themselves with the team but wouldn`t know what football is about. Chelsea fans count some of the nastiest, most bitter fans you could meet anywhere - and if you go by their hooligans, some of the scummiest.

There is an extra rivalry with Leeds but please remember one thing - the modern era of football happened a long time ago and with it came professionalism. Players have the right to move between clubs as they wish, and I for one would question the ambition of a player of Smith`s quality and future potential if he decided to stay with the no-hoper manager and management that have dragged Leeds down to the First Division although the players have to also take responsibility.

Spot on.

I've said it before....

But United are hated up and down the country. Fans from Arsenal to Villa sing Munchen songs.

I can understand why most fans are against him signing for us. He's gone on record saying that he'd never play for United, implying that he hates us. That said, how do we know other players we've had in the past haven't had a similar animosity towards United? It's possible that we've had ex-Munchen signing players over the last few decades.

However 99% of players are professional and would put their rivalries aside. Besides, it's not like Alan Smith has been forced to sign for United. He actually wants to move here.

Based on that, I think it's fair to assume, that he'll give his all. Iam sure United fans will back him or any other player wearing the shirt.

I have to already give him some credit, he's been brave enough to state he'd prefer to join us. Which hasn't gone down well at all with most Leeds fans. It's proved he's got balls. Alan Scum. Class.

Like KF pointed out. Jordan and McQueen made the same move....and both were equally as hated. Yet they went on to have good careers at United. I'd say both have more affinity with the United of Manchester than Leeds.

Shane B

Not Fat, Old, Racist or Scouse
Out of all the teams in the whole world, I dislike Liverpool the most, I don't like the team, and I especially don't like their fans with their whining 60s songs, however offer me Steve Gerrard who is a home grown scouser and a supporter of the club and I would dance a merry jig, welcome him with open arms and go on a 12hr celebration drinking session.
I also dislike Leeds, I don't like the team, and I especially don't like their fans, and if they offer us Smith who is home grown Yorkshire scum and a supporter of the club, I would hold my head in my hands and be absolutely gutted and go on a 12hr drinking session to drown my sorrows!
Either way I would get my day on the beer, but the morale of the story is I am not that bothered what has and hasnt been said, SMITH IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO PLAY FOR US. Just because Leeds are holding a bargain basement car boot sale, I do not see why we have to buy something crap off them?

kf

Shane Bluck said:
SMITH IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO PLAY FOR US.
That's a fair enough opinion to hold Shane but I don't share it. He's got a lot to prove but I assume that if he plays well you'll accept him? That's what happened with Jordan. That first game he immediately showed a touch that we didn't think he had and an ability to link with his team mates which was uncanny as he'd never played with them before. He went on to show he was worthy of being a United centre forward. He made us eat our words. At the other end, McQueen formed a great defensive partnership with Martin Buchan.

Shane B

kf said:
That's a fair enough opinion to hold Shane but I don't share it. He's got a lot to prove but I assume that if he plays well you'll accept him? That's what happened with Jordan. That first game he immediately showed a touch that we didn't think he had and an ability to link with his team mates which was uncanny as he'd never played with them before. He went on to show he was worthy of being a United centre forward. He made us eat our words. At the other end, McQueen formed a great defensive partnership with Martin Buchan.
IF he signs and then IF he turns out to be a great player, I will gladly sit down, hold my hands up, and EAT MY WORDS! There is nothing I would like better than to sign a great player who would add to the squad, that is why I don't want Smith.
I would love him to prove me wrong, but I am quite sure he wont!

RedPhil1957

giggsgirl said:

3 quality posts........great

elmoyju

Well I'm a Leeds fan and Smith has always been one of my favourite players.

He has a drive and determination that will be beneficial to any team he plays for.

He has not performed well this past season but that was in a relegated side and also Viduka had a shocking year.

If you want a good opinion on how highly regarded Smith is in some footballing circles do a search on the Telegraph's website for the articles on Smith by Henry Winter. He really thinks that Smith has the ability and should have been given a go to play for England long ago.

With Roy Keane unable at present to play consecutive games with injuries etc I think that Man Utd needs another player that will drive the team and Smith has the right attitude.

He has an amazing ability to really piss off the defence and create chances for other strikers and he is an unselfish player. If he is teamed with a good striker for Utd it could be a great partnership (eg Smith and Viduka partnership the CL Semi year).

He reminds me of Shearer with his ability to keep the ball etc and annoy defenders but he isn't as prolific/ natural a striker. He does make up for it in determination though.

I would be interested in seeing him play for a top side as I think he has the ability.

Julian Denny

I have said elsewhere that our team is bereft of personalities and characters who can provide the essential spirit and grit needed in any successful side. It really is a major problem. Without Keane we really don't have that necessary ingredient. Now Smith has always seemed rather obnoxious but if Fergie can channel his natural aggression into positives for United then he may be the type of character we are sorely missing at the moment.

smokingred

Wandering Red said:
When you pull on the shirt, you belong to Man United. I'll cheer him on the same as anyone else.
Ditto...it's all about how he performs when he is playing for us,lets wipe the slate clean

mamboza

To be honest, I have always thought that our team over the last few years has been .... err how shall I put it.. too polite or too gentlemen like. I mean compare Cantona, Ince, Hughes era (when we were hard and tough as nail) with what is coming, like Fletcher, Ronaldo, Saha, Rio etc., it's no comparison. I don't mean in term of talent and quality, but character, attitude etc. Perhaps some smartass with plenty of attitude problems may be good for United.

One United

Just the thought of chanting Smiths name makes me feel sick. Everytime i think of Alan Smith i get thoughts of him kissing the Leeds United badge! The fact that he is Leeds through and through makes me hate him and i would like us not to sign him. IT's not just because i dislike him but also because i don't feel he is that good a striker, he gets more yellow cards than what he does goals.

If we do sign him, which looks very likely at the moment, i will have to accept it but it will be hard.

Shane B

One United said:
Just the thought of chanting Smiths name makes me feel sick. Everytime i think of Alan Smith i get thoughts of him kissing the Leeds United badge! The fact that he is Leeds through and through makes me hate him and i would like us not to sign him. IT's not just because i dislike him but also because i don't feel he is that good a striker, he gets more yellow cards than what he does goals.

If we do sign him, which looks very likely at the moment, i will have to accept it but it will be hard.
I agree

redcharlie

Top Bloke
mamboza said:
To be honest, I have always thought that our team over the last few years has been .... err how shall I put it.. too polite or too gentlemen like. I mean compare Cantona, Ince, Hughes era (when we were hard and tough as nail) with what is coming, like Fletcher, Ronaldo, Saha, Rio etc., it's no comparison. I don't mean in term of talent and quality, but character, attitude etc. Perhaps some smartass with plenty of attitude problems may be good for United.
I've not read through the past posts,bar Mambazo's......but Hughes , Ince et al weren't regular goalscorers. Smith is. The kid is hard as nails, but he can play out and out too.
It's easy to comment on his commitment to Leeds, which is worth merit in my books....it's his hometown club...but he has stated his desire to play for us. No doubt Rio's had a word, but this kid, 23 years old, is making a massive move psychologically. Harder than any signing I can remember in recent years,psychologically.( lets face it, Cantona hardly gave a toss for Yorkshire). He want's us. Still a kid. He's quality in my book. His discipline is shit but that will be sorted out. VNR will get injured at some point........he's an obvious replacement,in terms of out and out, but if anything more physical) . Fans are slagging him off ( don't know why tactically, or re: his scoring record). Imagine what this kid is going through, stating his betrayal to hometown loyalty, I think it's fecking class he's got the bottle at that age. I hope he signs.

Shane B

redcharlie said:
Harder than any signing I can remember in recent years,psychologically.( lets face it, Cantona hardly gave a toss for Yorkshire). He want's us. Still a kid. He's quality in my book. His discipline is shit but that will be sorted out. VNR will get injured at some point........he's an obvious replacement,in terms of out and out, but if anything more physical) . Fans are slagging him off ( don't know why tactically, or re: his scoring record). Imagine what this kid is going through, stating his betrayal to hometown loyalty, I think it's fecking class he's got the bottle at that age. I hope he signs.
Wow some of you people are easily pleased, have I stepped into a time machine and jumped out in the mid eighties?? He is class....... because he has bottle??? We are Man Utd, we don't need someones main atributes to be bottle?? How about this for a suggestion, the worlds richest club gets some money off the PLC and buys a couple of world class players, instead of rummaging around the Leeds Utd car boot sale!

JJ_Batchelor

Shane Bluck said:
Wow some of you people are easily pleased, have I stepped into a time machine and jumped out in the mid eighties?? He is class....... because he has bottle??? We are Man Utd, we don't need someones main atributes to be bottle?? How about this for a suggestion, the worlds richest club gets some money off the PLC and buys a couple of world class players, instead of rummaging around the Leeds Utd car boot sale!
I've got absolutely no idea how anybody can claim he's a good acquisition..

So what if he's a fighter....works hard....etc

Ask yourself why Emile Heskey got so much stick..

elmoyju

Because Heskey fell over like Bambi whenever he got the ball?

Smith has always had a far worse reputation that he deserved in order for the media to have something to talk about.

He apparently doesn't drink, has been given the Community Service award at Leeds a number of times for his dedication to the charity causes Leeds have, trains hard, gives 100% on the pitch and wants to win.

I think those are all favourable attributes.

I've heard a number of people say that Man Utd's recent purchases have not been great. I agree. Klebersen, Djemba-Djemba, Bellion, and even Ronaldo until lately have not set the world on fire. I think there is also an element of complacency hitting the team.

SAF has always had success with a young, core British/Irish, hungry team. I think he would do well to sign Smith. I think he should have signed Defoe instead of Saha.

ryansgirl

Anybody who knows anything about Alan Smith and Emile Heskey knows that Smith`s goal ration suffered from being played out on the right by Terry Venables last season.

He could not score consistently there and indeed when I saw Leeds games on tv Smith was doing a Roy Keane - running from box to box, getting in there and generally being the inspiring player sacrificing his own hunt for goals to keep Leeds above water.

I think some MU fans` bias is preventing them from seeing what is clear to those of us who don`t come from Manchester and don`t personally experience the Leeds` rivalry - Smith is Sir Alex`s kind of player. He is a bit of a rough diamond and with the right guidance can go places with Mu and also take them there if he has the motivation to learn and improve.

I support him because I see in him the hunger and desire that has been missing from some of our players this season. As elmo also mentioned, he is not a drinker and since when has he been involved in incidents such as the one with Woodgate and Bowyer? Take your blinkers off and see that he is the kind of player Sir Alex likes to guide because he has the hunger as well as the ability. As for the dismissal of his ability - Venables and Sven recognise it and so does Sir Alex. Those three are good enough for me.

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
giggsgirl said:

Sorry giggsgirl, but don't I remember you condemning Beckham for that change of heart? Why then is it acceptable for Smith to have a much stronger U-turn?

Let's face it, Smith is not worth £8 million. £2 million would be pushing it a bit really. At that price Ferguson will have to play him; rather than leave him keeping the bench warm and letting better players play. Smith is not good enough and his anti-United attitude is not acceptable. However, if Ferguson has totally lost his marbles and buys him, then we must all support him because if he plays well then that will help the team.

I have always supported Fergie but I do hope he doesn't make this huge mistake. :eek:

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Shane Bluck said:
:lol:
Well said Shane.

Red15

blythy said:
I don't think I can bring myself to do it.

:(
I know what you're saying.

As soon as a player puts on a United shirt, they will have my support. However, in terms of feeling any real genuine affection for Smith as a United player, if he does become one, it's going to take a long time.

ryansgirl

Green demon - I`ve got over Becks and if you read some of my posts written after the initial anger you will see. However, those MU supporters who have no real feelings for him anymore are not angry about the `MU will never lose me` famous last words.

They are pissed off (and quite rightly) that Becks has lied and lied about the circumstances under which he left MU. Sure, MU offered him to Barcelona but that was AFTER they found out that his agent had been talking to Real Madrid for quite some time.

A number of credible football writers have expressed the opinion in columns, articles and an excellent unauthorised biography of Becks that he was grandstanding about MU allegedly showing him the door and giving him no choice. Becks was sly and even went so far as to enlist the rag called The Sun to bleat that he would play for free in order to stay at Old Trafford.

Some MU fans quite rightly recognised this for the attempted con job it was. Becks had made his mind up some time before and MU management called his bluff. His continual lies about it have earned him no respect from fans who would have supported him under different circumstances.

As for Alan Smith - what the hell did we pay for Diego Forlan (about 5 million if I remember) and can it be called justifiable in any way? Of course not, even if he is a Uruguayan international. When Diego and Seba had shown their stuff, I and other MU posters here were slagged off for suggesting reasonably that maybe they were not up to MU, much as we didn`t want this to be true. Where are all the slaggers of that opinion now?

Selling Diego and buying Alan Smith could well turn out to be the best business MU has done for a long time. MU players have lacked the will to keep fighting and Sir Alex is signalling that it`s time to bring in a warrior again. As for Sir Alex `losing his marbles` - just how long have you supported MU or were you working at The Sun and News of the World when Sir Alex took over at MU?

Been there, heard that before. When MU took time to adjust to his style, when Cantona was signed (he`s a troublemaking dilettante!) when Dwight and Jaap were signed (too expensive!), when some players slacked off when he announced his retirement (they alone were to blame for their on-field performances), when it looked as if Mu were not going to reclaim the title two seasons ago, etc, etc, ad nauseum. Keep it coming!

Shane B

giggsgirl said:
Selling Diego and buying Alan Smith could well turn out to be the best business MU has done for a long time. MU players have lacked the will to keep fighting and Sir Alex is signalling that it`s time to bring in a warrior again!
I like most of your above thread and agree with most of it, except for this bit?? Good business would be to offload Forlan (who IMO we should never have bought in the first place) and NOT to buy Smith either.
Other hugh clubs battling to sign Smith are er.... Everton!
R.Madrid, Bayern, Barca, and even the never ending Roubles of Chelsea are NOT interested.
Why are we not bidding for proper players with a quality pedigree?
Why is Steve Gerrard not in talks with SAF whilst we speak?
We are the richest club in the world and we have got f--king Miffer Smith in our sights and fans on this very forum click the 'Yes' let's have him box in the vote thread.
If we need a warrior, I will drag my arse on the field for nothing and run up and down growling at people until I get sent off. Let the likes of Smith go to a crap club where his 'warrior' style will be appreciated.
My local pub who i play for is a right old team of warriors, we will gladly accept him there, and see if he lasts 5 minutes. We aint pretty and we dont have much skill, which is why about 20 people and a dog watch us every week, when I go to watch United I don't want to see Miffers pub skills on display.

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Giggsgirl. You totally misrepresent my position. As far as Becks goes, I think his departure was the right thing as Fergie is (and was at the time) more important to us than Beckham. No point rehashing the old arguments as to who said what to whom and in what order, that is now past. I mentioned Beckham as I remember you criticising him for doing a U-Turn but you are encouraging Smith to do the same.
You quote what we paid for Forlan. I think that bearing that in mind, we don't want to repeat the same mistake by buying Smith at an even bigger loss. (If he does come I hope he proves me wrong.) I also criticised Forlan prior to his little spurt earlier in the season, then I thought for a glorious fortnight or so that I might have been unfair to him. Unfortunately my original opinion was correct. I was also "slagged off" by other posters for my criticism of him. I agree we should sell Diego, but I don't agree that we should buy Smith. I don't believe he's good enough for us, he's certainly not worth more than three million and his anti-United attitude which he held until very recently is not indicative of him trying too hard for us. We can buy better players.
As for how long have I supported United? Since the sixties, young lady. ;) How long have you supported United?
When Cantona signed I was delighted. He was the one Leeds player, at that time, who looked to have class and quality. It took SAF to bring it all out to the fore. With Dwight, I was a little worried that we would sell Cole but, thankfully, that didn't happen. Other than that I was delighted that we got him. I was pleased we got Jaap although I don't recall if I knew too much about him at the time. (Memory problems :) ).
When the players slacked off. That was their fault - totally agree.
The point is - I don't see Smith as a Man United player and I hope we don't buy him. I don't believe SAF has "lost his marbles" but I would surely wonder if he had if he buys that thug.

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Shane Bluck said:
I like most of your above thread and agree with most of it, except for this bit?? Good business would be to offload Forlan (who IMO we should never have bought in the first place) and NOT to buy Smith either.
Other hugh clubs battling to sign Smith are er.... Everton!
R.Madrid, Bayern, Barca, and even the never ending Roubles of Chelsea are NOT interested.
Why are we not bidding for proper players with a quality pedigree?
Why is Steve Gerrard not in talks with SAF whilst we speak?
We are the richest club in the world and we have got f--king Miffer Smith in our sights and fans on this very forum click the 'Yes' let's have him box in the vote thread.
If we need a warrior, I will drag my arse on the field for nothing and run up and down growling at people until I get sent off. Let the likes of Smith go to a crap club where his 'warrior' style will be appreciated.
My local pub who i play for is a right old team of warriors, we will gladly accept him there, and see if he lasts 5 minutes. We aint pretty and we dont have much skill, which is why about 20 people and a dog watch us every week, when I go to watch United I don't want to see Miffers pub skills on display.
I agree with all that. (That is, I know nothing of your pub team :D but I get the picture.)

Shane B

green demon said:
I agree with all that. (That is, I know nothing of your pub team :D but I get the picture.)
Except for the population of the world minus a few wives and mothers (and a jack russel) no one does! But Miffer Smith is still not worthy!