Television Comedy Sketch Shows

CallyRed

They aren't everyone's cup of tea and there have been some truly shite ones down the years, but what was/is your favourite TV comedy sketch show? For me it was The Fast Show/Harry Enfield and Chums.
I saw 5 minutes of The Emily Attack Show the other week and it was the worst thing I have ever seen on TV, and that includes Mrs Brown's Boys and our 7-0 defeat last season.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson. The best sketch show ever.

"Feck you, Harley Jarvis. I hope you fecking die."

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
They aren't everyone's cup of tea and there have been some truly shite ones down the years, but what was/is your favourite TV comedy sketch show? For me it was The Fast Show/Harry Enfield and Chums.
I saw 5 minutes of The Emily Attack Show the other week and it was the worst thing I have ever seen on TV, and that includes Mrs Brown's Boys and our 7-0 defeat last season.
What’s wrong with Mrs Browns Boys?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The Big Train was excellent. Worth digging out some scenes on YouTube.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Fast Show, Harry Enfield & Chums, Harry & Paul. I do love Tim Robinson but it has some deep lows to go with the ridiculous highs.

Snuff Box, Big Train and Smack the Pony were all excellent.

Little Britain never did it for me.

Red_Aaron

+1 for Big Train

If you want something darker Chris Morris' Jam is an experience*

*posts that feel sexual

Trequarista10

Basically all 90s/very early 00s sketch shows were great, and everything since is either comparatively shit or complete shit, with one or two exceptions. Mitchell and Webb was alright. There was a Scottish one that was quite good but I can't remember the name.

Special mention to the absolute worst I ever saw which was Corden and Horne. Jesus it was cringe and clearly a rushed and desperate attempt to piggy back off the success of Gavin and Stacey. As well as shit sketches they also had awkward studio segments and the two of them had awful chemistry.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Basically all 90s/very early 00s sketch shows were great, and everything since is either comparatively shit or complete shit, with one or two exceptions. Mitchell and Webb was alright. There was a Scottish one that was quite good but I can't remember the name.

Special mention to the absolute worst I ever saw which was Corden and Horne. Jesus it was cringe and clearly a rushed and desperate attempt to piggy back off the success of Gavin and Stacey. As well as shit sketches they also had awkward studio segments and the two of them had awful chemistry.
Limmy’s Show?

CallyRed

Christ I forgot about that.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I second Tim Robinson. Aunty Donna are also good albeit trippy and odd. They're on Netflix and YouTube.
That Mitchell and Webb Look.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Won't be remembered by many but I had a lot of time for Absolutely.

John Sparks used to crack me up.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Tim Robinson is the main one I can think of that is currently good.

The rest have kind of migrated to YouTube. There's lots of creators who put out mini sketches every week or so.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just had to look this up on YouTube as I'd never heard of it and oh my. Atrocious.

Dan

A Bit of Fry & Laurie
The Mary Whitehouse Experience

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Tommy Cooper and Morcambe and Wise, Kenny Everett were my favourites from my youth. Recent ones (or more recent) Fast Show, Vic and Bob, not much more recent stuff I've bothered with.

GueRed

Barely watch anything these days.

In the 90's the shows I got into the most were French and Saunders, Goodness Gracious Me, Smack the Pony, Mr Bean and The 11 O'Clock Show..

Dan

Tommy Cooper and Morcambe and Wise, Kenny Everett were my favourites from my youth. Recent ones (or more recent) Fast Show, Vic and Bob, not much more recent stuff I've bothered with.
Sketch shows seemed to have died out, compared to the 80s and 90s there’s hardly any being made anymore.

youngrell

Monty Python's Flying Circus is probably top.

I did really like Harry Enfield's stuff too. The later show, Ruddy Hell, was it? Really enjoyed some of the sketches in that.

GBBQ

BBC produced a lot of these in the 90s to varying degrees of quality; The Glam Metal Detectives, Pulp Video, The Adam and Joe Show, Fist of Fun.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
They don’t really exist anymore on mainstream TV - which is both crap, as they were always a very good breeding ground for writers and performers, and odd because it would surely be the perfect thing to appeal to/cross over in the social media/Youtube age (even SNL has worked this out, and old shit like Mitchell & Webb have gotten a huge cultural second life as memes.)

But no, instead UK comedy - which used to be amazing at this - has decided that all comedy shows now should either be 3 stand ups improvising a shit game show, or someone and their mum driving up the coast in search of Britains best bridge/biggest cake/oldest hat.

CallyRed

They don’t really exist anymore on mainstream TV - which is both crap, as they were always a very good breeding ground for writers and performers, and odd because it would surely be the perfect thing to appeal to/cross over in the social media/Youtube age (even SNL has worked this out, and old shit like Mitchell & Webb have gotten a huge cultural second life as memes.)

But no, instead UK comedy - which used to be amazing at this - has decided that all comedy shows now should either be 3 stand ups improvising a shit game show, or someone and their mum driving up the coast in search of Britains best bridge/biggest cake/oldest hat.
I did think this myself, with the decreasing attention span of the population I'd have thought sketches lasting 90 seconds at a time would be perfect viewing.

Red_Aaron

I hate those shit 'stand-up travels with mother/father/sister/ex-wife's hamster' shows

They're just excuses for family holidays paid for by the studio. Absolute garbage