Music Commercial Hip Hop Thread

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Pusha T used to be part of a duo called Clipse, the other member being his brother. They wore a brand called Bape and it was kind of their 'thing' that no one else wore, till Lil Wayne started wearing it back when he was in the limelight. So they had a little fued (even though Pusha claims it wasn't about that).

Fast forward to 2011 from about 2006 and Drake comes along, signed to Wayne's record label. Pusha drops a few bars dissing drake for basically acting like an arrogant new kid on the block type, when he's really not all that yet. Pusha keeps at this for a while without a response from Drake in one of his albums, I forgot what he says. Then two years ago Drake dropped another line saying Pusha T is a has been who only ever talks about being an ex drug dealer. And now we're here.
Thanks.

Member 5225

Hasn't even been a day yet. And there are rumours Drake's coming back with something big. He probably should just leave it though.
The last 2 tracks were 1 day apart.
Drake should just leave it, really?!! He'd be a laughing stock and never taken seriously again.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Shit, if Nas and Ghostface used ghostwriters on Illmatic or Supreme Clientele then feck rap, I'm posting up in the Adele thread.
:lol:
Not on Illmatic, but Supreme Clientele has been accused of having ghostwritten songs by two different people.
But really, ghostwriting is rampant in rap.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Also if anybody is into podcasts, then the Joe Budden podcast is one of the best around, doesn’t just focus on just rap though, but everything to do with it, plus pop culture.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
:lol:
Not on Illmatic, but Supreme Clientele has been accused of having ghostwritten songs by two different people.
But really, ghostwriting is rampant in rap.
I think it is common knowledge that dudes in the Wu Tang would sometimes write verses for each other.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I think it is common knowledge that dudes in the Wu Tang would sometimes write verses for each other.
You’d think so, it’s pretty common knowledge that most if not all artists have gotten help writing/finishing verses & hooks at some point in their career.

Phil

The level of hyped people get over these tracks is really stupid. I feel my IQ reducing reading some of these forums.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Also if anybody is into podcasts, then the Joe Budden podcast is one of the best around, doesn’t just focus on just rap though, but everything to do with it, plus pop culture.
He’s also one of the best rappers in the last decade or more. Too bad he retired.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Kind of out the loop of Hip Hop of late so just checked out the diss tracks earlier.

Pusha T with a clear W. Drake needs a response on Ether levels :lol:

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I’ve given the Flatbush Zombies album a lot of listening in the last couple days and it is awesome.

haram

The whole thing was death by a thousand chainsaw cuts. It's amazing anyone can get a new hot-take on Drake considering how many have torn him apart.

Drake just sings some pop songs through every Diss he ever encounters. The masses wave and scream. Hip Hop sighs and shrugs every time.

With all that said, Hip Hop is basically a recorded Roast-Battle in this day and age. Even the biggest blows feel like they're thrown with an agreed spot that they can land in.
Lets be clear, hip hop loved both back to back and stay scheming.

Drake's stuff is all pop too.
Uhh, no?

Last edited:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Just reading about it now. Every few months I check what people are working on and they were supposed to be putting something together. Really out of the loop these days. Looks like JB is retired then :lol:
You should listen to the podcast (if you're in to that kind of thing) he goes into detail about it, and the great thing about Joe is that he's very open and honest, he's not the type of guy who will only have opinions just because they're cool or it's what everybody else thinks, and he's not afraid to compliment people he doesn't like, or throw shots at people he does like.

Plus I heard their coverage of the Drake & Pusha beef on their latest episode, and mid way through Pusha's diss track was released, and it's just a great experience :lol:

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Joe Budden savaged Drake on 3 or 4 tracks that he released last year within the space of a week, but social media simply didn’t care, so it kind of got swept under the rug. I think Drake responded with 1 line in a featured single and that was that. People think Drake got the upper hand because the song and one-liner was a hit in clubs.

It’s all about public perception nowadays - you need some sort of meme, hit single or deep underlying truths to win over the internet.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
The last 2 tracks were 1 day apart.
Drake should just leave it, really?!! He'd be a laughing stock and never taken seriously again.
So now it's been a day. When you posted it had been less than a day. Hardly enough time to laugh at someone's silence.

I say he should leave it because I think it only gets worse from here for him.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Joe Budden savaged Drake on 3 or 4 tracks that he released last year within the space of a week, but social media simply didn’t care, so it kind of got swept under the rug. I think Drake responded with 1 line in a featured single and that was that. People think Drake got the upper hand because the song and one-liner was a hit in clubs.

It’s all about public perception nowadays - you need some sort of meme, hit single or deep underlying truths to win over the internet.
Does Pusha's diss fit more into that?

I would argue that he out Draked Drake, with the memes, the insults, and underlying truths. Which I think is very clever.
His response wasn't lyrical, it was pretty clear cut, and cutthroat.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Does Pusha's diss fit more into that?

I would argue that he out Draked Drake, with the memes, the insults, and underlying truths. Which I think is very clever.
His response wasn't lyrical, it was pretty clear cut, and cutthroat.
Yeah it fits right into that.

After the whole ‘invoice’ meme thing Pusha was a laughing stock. He walked blindly right into that one.

If his response wasn’t was what it was (the cover art and secret child), he would have ‘lost’ this beef already, no matter how lyrical it was. As you said, he out Draked Drake.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Yeah it fits right into that.

After the whole ‘invoice’ meme thing Pusha was a laughing stock. He walked blindly right into that one.

If his response wasn’t was what it was (the cover art and secret child), he would have ‘lost’ this beef already, no matter how lyrical it was. As you said, he out Draked Drake.
I agree, he was one step ahead, he baited him and looks like his strategy to adopt Drake's strategy has definitely worked.

I wonder what Drake will do in response, but I do think that the IG press release explaining the blackface picture was a bad move, his first response should've been in reply to the track, not the cover art. That could've been done after his track was done, so effectively he's handed himself another L with that.

So when he does respond, which I think he'll time to coincide with Kanye's album release on Friday (if he does still intend on releasing on Friday) that response really needs to be clinical.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
You should listen to the podcast (if you're in to that kind of thing) he goes into detail about it, and the great thing about Joe is that he's very open and honest, he's not the type of guy who will only have opinions just because they're cool or it's what everybody else thinks, and he's not afraid to compliment people he doesn't like, or throw shots at people he does like.

Plus I heard their coverage of the Drake & Pusha beef on their latest episode, and mid way through Pusha's diss track was released, and it's just a great experience :lol:
Sounds interesting, I'd definitely check it out. Heading off on holiday soon too so it'll be something to keep me occupied whilst I'm away. How do I go about listening to it?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

That's because no one cares about Joe Budden.

Member 5225

So errr no news from Drake yet?
His latest response was in the form of a press statement? :lol:

JoaquinJoaquin

Woke up hoping to be able to stream the new Kanye album on the way to work. Seems it hasn't dropped yet.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
What's with these short 7 track releases lately? Not really an 'album' is it?

3KDré

What's with these short 7 track releases lately? Not really an 'album' is it?
He's producing 5 of these 7 track albums soon, so that's 35 songs. I think he's just trying to keep it short so as to not run out of creativity or whatever.