Music Commercial Hip Hop Thread

Aint gota Kalou

Got bored and didn't make it through it all. Just wish that these 25 song albums were condensed to 10-12 tracks, all of them being amazing.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah feels like it will be a grower. So far it's just one big blur of Drake doing his default song.

I've just reached Peak which I think is the second side.

haram

Hard. Songs are growing on me as well. Nonstop was nasty on first listen.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Let it run in the gym. Emotionless is nice but it’s more of the same. Nothing ambitious, no risks, at least not in the songs new to me today.
Makes me appreciate someone like Kendrick who at least tries different things with each album.

lsd

The Oracle
Have people seen the new xxxtentacion video for sad he shot just before he died?

It is seriously freaky the guy clearly knew he did not have much time left .

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
There's a lot of filler and standard Drake but I'm getting some standouts. I like Mob Ties even though it sounds like a Young Thug song. That's How You Feel, Peak, Blue Tint, Finesse is a nice little song.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Scorpion is his best album by far imo. Sandra's Rose is already one of the most listened to track according to my phone anyway it's definitely my favourite track. That Jay Z feature was lit btw. I still think he's a bit of a gimp but Drake is undoubtedly one of the greatest hit makers of all time. *Hit maker not rapper before someone pipes off.

binary bot
Why anyone releases a 20+ song album is a mystery. I like Drake but in small doses.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Scorpion is his best album by far imo. Sandra's Rose is already one of the most listened to track according to my phone anyway it's definitely my favourite track. That Jay Z feature was lit btw. I still think he's a bit of a gimp but Drake is undoubtedly one of the greatest hit makers of all time. *Hit maker not rapper before someone pipes off.
Nowhere near for me. IYRTITL.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That guy talking at the end of 8 out of 10 is awful. Ruins the song for me.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Nowhere near for me. IYRTITL.
It definitely is imo. I can't tell you how much I wanted to ride the Pusha wave and not like this album but even if you don't consider instant favourites like 'Gods plan', 'Nice for what' etc the rest of the 25 track list album is pretty great. But it's music we all have different opinions, Scorpion may grow on you in time to be #1.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It definitely is imo. I can't tell you how much I wanted to ride the Pusha wave and not like this album but even if you don't consider instant favourites like 'Gods plan', 'Nice for what' etc the rest of the 25 track list album is pretty great. But it's music we all have different opinions, Scorpion may grow on you in time to be #1.
I doubt it. I think the tracks I've mentioned plus Sandra's Rose and a couple others are good but the rest is too generic to be memorable. Survival, Nonstop, I'm Upset was shite, Talk Up, In My Feelings, etc... are just very bland to me.

Ratchet Happy Birthday just came on :lol: IT'S YOUR BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Well he mentions on Sandra's Rose how people say he hasn't made a classic album and until this album I was firmly sat in that camp waving a Good Music banner but this album got to be rated a Classic, Jesus Christ how high really are we rating the rap/hip-hop game if this album isn't a classic.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
This is bold, I disagree but I respect it, up until you reduced him to a hit maker. He's a rapper, say it with your chest.

This is not a classic though, but I think very few rap albums are classic's these days - literally a handful so my bar is very high.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
This is bold, I disagree but I respect it, up until you reduced him to a hit maker. He's a rapper, say it with your chest.

This is not a classic though, but I think very few rap albums are classic's these days - literally a handful so my bar is very high.
Look we both know music is subjective, but if you ask me what Drake album would be most rememberd in 10 years I would say this one. It's quite rare for me to find that many albums where I end up loving not liking 90% of the tracks. Yes, he's a rapper, fine. :lol:

infamous7

Theres too much skipping tracks on this one for me to be close to his best but that's my taste

Apparently there's another version of Sandra's rose dropping with the classic premo style scratches etc

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Theres too much skipping tracks on this one for me to be close to his best but that's my taste

Apparently there's another version of Sandra's rose dropping with the classic premo style scratches etc
Inbox me or post it here when/if you see it please. I'll have a look myself. It's my favourite track on there.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Look we both know music is subjective, but if you ask me what Drake album would be most rememberd in 10 years I would say this one. It's quite rare for me to find that many albums where I end up loving not liking 90% of the tracks. Yes, he's a rapper, fine. :lol:
Yeah that's a bold opinion, I like it.
I personally think his Take Care - NWTS - IYRTITL run will be what he's remembered most for, those are some of my favourite songs in the last decade.
But this album is much better than Views & More Life - there is more filler than i'd like, but i'll have to give it a few runs in the car before I settle on my final opinion.

The Carters is still the best album of the year for me so far.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Illmatic is a classic. GKMC is a classic. Classics aren't bloated 20 song albums with filler and you certainly can't call an album a classic a few days after release. It needs to stand the test of time. Don't get me wrong I like the album though.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Okay so the Joe Budden podcast broke down the Drake album surgically, as well as the history behind Drake, Jay-Z, Kanye & Pusha T

Joe applied a lot of perspective that I hadn’t even considered, and a lot of lines that went way over my head.

I think it’s my third time plugging this podcast in this thread but honestly if anybody actually likes hearing analysis on lyrics and not just hearing songs that sound nice to them then I’d highly recommend listening to this podcast, the drake stuff starts about 20 mins in or so.
@Oga on top. I think you’d like it, I can appreciate why you rate the album so highly now

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Okay so the Joe Budden podcast broke down the Drake album surgically, as well as the history behind Drake, Jay-Z, Kanye & Pusha T

Joe applied a lot of perspective that I hadn’t even considered, and a lot of lines that went way over my head.

I think it’s my third time plugging this podcast in this thread but honestly if anybody actually likes hearing analysis on lyrics and not just hearing songs that sound nice to them then I’d highly recommend listening to this podcast, the drake stuff starts about 20 mins in or so.
@Oga on top. I think you’d like it, I can appreciate why you rate the album so highly now
I'll deffo check it out. I've been watching the Budden podcast for a while, i like his content on there. People tune in for it, but he's not everones cup of tea :lol:.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

Where can I listen to it? Is it available on apple music ? Only really have time to listen to stuff in detail on the commute to and from work.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I'll deffo check it out. I've been watching the Budden podcast for a while, i like his content on there. People tune in for it, but he's not everones cup of tea :lol:.
I gotta say I went in with a negative opinion of him, but he’s honest and says his opinion even if it goes against the popular narrative.
I can respect that in people because it’s so rare, especially when you’re discussing music.

Where can I listen to it? Is it available on apple music ? Only really have time to listen to stuff in detail on the commute to and from work.
If you have an iPhone then download the podcast app, and subscribe to the Joe Budden podcast, the latest episode should download automatically and that’s the one I’m talking about.

I’d recommend listening to the episode when they were dissecting the Drake pusha t disses too, because that was excellent.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Joe Budden and co have in recent months shifted towards the Drake camp. A few episodes ago, while discussing the Pusha T response, they kept shooting Drake bail in several segments.

Haven't heard the latest podcast but I'm not expecting a totally unbiased review of Scorpion.

lsd

The Oracle
So this is basically just a drake thread I take it the drake hip pop thread would sum it up better

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Joe Budden and co have in recent months shifted towards the Drake camp. A few episodes ago, while discussing the Pusha T response, they kept shooting Drake bail in several segments.

Haven't heard the latest podcast but I'm not expecting a totally unbiased review of Scorpion.
Nah they fully said pusha t won the diss, Drake took a L, and Adidon was completely unexpected.
They just don’t hop on the same bandwagon as calling Drake whack, overrated, a pop star etc.

I would say the review is fair, they don’t fawn over the album by any means, they call it better than views and more life that’s about it. They just dissect the tracks that are aimed at pusha and kanye in more detail than I personally caught on to, and I would imagine most people didn’t catch on to certain things either - that’s all.

So this is basically just a drake thread I take it the drake hip pop thread would sum it up better
Not at all, his album was just recently released.
Is there anyone or any album you’d like to discuss?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
KOD

Scorpion is good, but KOD is old school good.
We gotta move on from ‘old school’ at some point.
Hip hop is allowed to evolve and change over time.

KOD is good though - top 5 of the year for me, I’m rarely in the mood to intentionally listen to j Cole anymore though.