Television Community (NBC)

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
I don't really see what was so bad about Season 4, I can't help feeling if Dan Harmon was the show runner for the exact same episodes the reception wouldn't have been half as bad as it was. There were a few stinkers in there (the Inspector Spacetime episode and finale in particular) and on the balance of things it wasn't as good as the previous series, but there were some very good episodes in there too. Notably the school dance episode and the the body switching episode. Series 3 wasn't as good as season 2 either so I'm not sure how much is just the usual decline shows go through to be honest.

That said I think a show of Community's style is always going to be inconsistent.

Anyway they have the trailer for seasn 5 (which starts January the 2nd) out:

It'll be interesting to see how they handle Donald Glover's departure, big loss to the show. I don't think Chevy Chase going will affect things too much though, his role became increasingly marginalised as the show went on. I suspect this'll be the last season so lets hope they go out with a bang, I know that's suspected every year, but with a main cast member out the signs aren't good.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The trailer looks very good.

Loved that Scrubs joke.

Liam147

On Probation
Okay, so, fourth season. From what I accidentally saw on wikipedia, by my calculations, Pierce is supposed to be gone by now. Without telling me what (if anything) happens to him, is he still a cast member?

Also, while I'm here: S3 wasn't quite as funny, but still great. I'd still probably have S1 as the best though, which I've never said about any programme ever.

kps88

Nope. He's left the show for good. Was a real pain in the ass on set.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Okay, so, fourth season. From what I accidentally saw on wikipedia, by my calculations, Pierce is supposed to be gone by now. Without telling me what (if anything) happens to him, is he still a cast member?

Also, while I'm here: S3 wasn't quite as funny, but still great. I'd still probably have S1 as the best though, which I've never said about any programme ever.
I thought season 2 was the best, best single episodes and it felt like everything came together with the cast and how they handled the meta angle. But I'd probably put season 1 above season 3, though I haven't watched any episodes of those seasons for about a year now.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
fecking bullshit. I'd quite like to know when he goes so I know how long he has left, but I also very much don't.
He's in some bits in season 4 as he left the show when his parts were almost finished. So he's basically in it the normal amount.

Liam147

On Probation
I miss it already :(

Now, to find out about Pierce. Or I could just never find out. That said he hasn't lived up to his season 1/early season 2 promise so I now understand why no one picked him as their favourite comedy character. Some of his lines in the first season were fantastic -

"If it's so serious why didn't they call it meningitis?"
"Why are Jeff and Britta mocking those handicapped children?"
After drawing the swastika and then circling it:
"Then guess you girlfriendless geek!"

Sadly with this show is it has little life outside the college. Friends is just six friends who live near each other, Scrubs is a load of doctors and nurses working together, those shows can run indefinitely. I was wondering how this would run past three (when I thought college was three years). Fortunately they moved Abed and Troy and later Annie in together, than put Britta and Troy together. It does leave Jeff at a bit of a loose end though.

And why do they keep saying six seasons and a movie?! Surely that's not their plan for the show? I figured it was a running joke whose origin I missed out on.

EDIT: Hold the phone. That was the entire fourth season?! I thought it'd taken a mid-season break! Oh feck this.

EDIT: Turns out it is back after Christmas! Although I hate 13 episode seasons. Archer does it. AD did it. Hate 'em.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Britta and Troy together was a really messy plotline, never worked and they didn't really know how to get rid of it.

Pierce as you say was promising in season 1, and just became meaner and meaner as the show went on. Originally, he was more or less unintentionally cruel with what he said, therefore it was funny. As the show went on, he just became plain nasty, which makes his character very hateable. And despite some of his stuff being funny, it's just really hard to go along with it. They ruined him I think.

Don't think 'Six seasons and a movie' has another pop culture origin, it's just something Abed says when Jeff shits on The Cape. And when Community was in danger of being cancelled, it was widely used by fans on twitter to show their support to the show.

Liam147

On Probation
Britta and Troy together was a really messy plotline, never worked and they didn't really know how to get rid of it.

Pierce as you say was promising in season 1, and just became meaner and meaner as the show went on. Originally, he was more or less unintentionally cruel with what he said, therefore it was funny. As the show went on, he just became plain nasty, which makes his character very hateable. And despite some of his stuff being funny, it's just really hard to go along with it. They ruined him I think.

Don't think 'Six seasons and a movie' has another pop culture origin, it's just something Abed says when Jeff shits on The Cape. And when Community was in danger of being cancelled, it was widely used by fans on twitter to show their support to the show.
To be honest I still liked him all the way through, it's just that he seemed to become more pitiful and senile. He reminded me of Michael from the Office (who I never liked), but the difference was Pierce's remarks were unintentional and put down to his age, whereas Michael's just seemed to be for attention/desperate attempt at humour.

I thought the SSAAM was something Troy reassured Abed with about one of his favourite shows (the British manor one? It ended after six episodes - seasons, and assumedly the American version was the same with a film on the end, then it seemed to turn to hints about the future of the show).

Reading more of the stuff written I can see why Chase went, and see why people started falling out with the show. Even I (who looks for the best in everything I like) was starting to notice that it was no longer a community college thing, and Chase backed it up saying that you could've had them in a bar with the same interactions and little would change. Even the Dean started getting involved more and more.

Incidentally, and I can't imagine this being particularly popular but the Dean started growing on me as it wore on. It's like he'd blown out into a total eccentric, dressing up more extravagantly for no reason whatsoever. Never totally sold on him though. Chang on the other hand was always an arsehole. Virtually no funny lines. I was a touch concerned he'd be made part of the group; that'd have had a major impact on the show.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I liked the Dean, and indeed his eccentricity got worse as the show goes on, but to be fair it doesn't come out of nowhere. When you look at the first episodes, he's already got dalmatian pics in his office and weird things going on right from the start, but initially it's very subtle and it grows as the show goes on. I think a lot of people hate him though.

Agree on Chang, really dislike his character and he's ridiculous most of the time.

Bebe

You've never seen the O.C. then.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The show fell apart for me when the Dean got a more prominent role. That Chang storyline was also shit. I could barely keep focus on the 4th season. They rehashed the same jokes like crazy. Pop-pop, endless puns from the Dean and Chang.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I think the Dean is brilliant. One of the best bits for me is when he realises how ridiculous he looks in his half man/half woman outfit.

"I have to be honest, I think I went too far with this one. I have to go to the bank later. What am I supposed to tell people in line?"

Red Stone

The second episode of the new season was brilliant. Any homage to the genius that is Nicolas Cage is brilliant.

Red Stone

First two episodes aired last night.

I found a torrent and it was - to my tremendous disgust - genuine. Obviously, I did what I had to do and told the authorities.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Those people disgust me. Stealing quality TV.

Liam147

On Probation
First episode: Enjoyed it. Nice to have it back, set things up for the rest of the season. Seeing Pierce was a great surprise, even if he'll never come close to his first season brilliance. Scrubs stuff was ace.

Second episode: still decent. Nice to see Mi- er, Jonathan Banks. Also nice that they've managed to get it back in the college setting.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Alison Brie :drool:

Enough said.

Bebe

Great first two episodes. The owl line from Britta in ep 1 had me in stitches.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Liam147

On Probation
Just watched the third. Quality episode. Disappointed they killed Pierce off like that though. They did leave it a bit open ended though by mentioning his fake heart attacks.

Were they taking off a particular detective show or just all of them? The Dean clicking on the phone was good.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I thought episodes 1 and 2 were really, really poor, I doubt I laughed once. Ah yes, I enjoyed Abed's Cage imitation, but that was about it.

Don't know whether I'm going to bother watching on.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Th
Just watched the third. Quality episode. Disappointed they killed Pierce off like that though. They did leave it a bit open ended though by mentioning his fake heart attacks.

Were they taking off a particular detective show or just all of them? The Dean clicking on the phone was good.
They were referencing Se7en and Zodiac mainly I thought.

The first episode was OK, though had a difficult job to do in establishing getting the characters back at Greendale, the 2nd was pretty good, and the 3rd is an excellent episode. So good progression so far, 4th episode is meant to be very good too. Though it'll be interesting to see how the show handles Troy leaving, he was particularly good in this episode even if he didn't say much.

Liam147

On Probation
Th

They were referencing Se7en and Zodiac mainly I thought.

The first episode was OK, though had a difficult job to do in establishing getting the characters back at Greendale, the 2nd was pretty good, and the 3rd is an excellent episode. So good progression so far, 4th episode is meant to be very good too. Though it'll be interesting to see how the show handles Troy leaving, he was particularly good in this episode even if he didn't say much.
To be honest I've always thought Troy was a fairly disposable character. If it wasn't for his relationship with Troy he'd offer very little. I've found his character the least believable too. The high school jock, Mr Popularity, suddenly goes to community college and is best friends with a massive film/super hero nerd? Bit odd. But at the same time he's part of the cast and I'll be disappointed for him to go just as I would any of them.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
To be honest I've always thought Troy was a fairly disposable character. If it wasn't for his relationship with Troy he'd offer very little. I've found his character the least believable too. The high school jock, Mr Popularity, suddenly goes to community college and is best friends with a massive film/super hero nerd? Bit odd. But at the same time he's part of the cast and I'll be disappointed for him to go just as I would any of them.

I don't think not being very believable is a fair criticism of the character in fairness, its not like Community at all tries to be a grounded, realistic show.

Still the one good thing about him leaving will hopefully be that "Inspector Spacetime" never ever gets mentioned again. I think that Inspector Spacetime episode took years off my life last season.

Liam147

On Probation
I don't think not being very believable is a fair criticism of the character in fairness, its not like Community at all tries to be a grounded, realistic show.
I guess so, he just seems to be too much of a stretch. And I'm a tad ashamed to say that it took me much longer than it ought to to realise 'who' (ha) Inspector Spacetime was.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Was a bit disappointed by the last one, thought the first half held much promise but was let down by the second half that was fairly boring. Better than the first two episodes though.

Brophs

The One and Only
I can't think of another show that consistently comes up with such clever premises and so often turns them into a hot mess.

Eriku

I'd say this season is very much a return to form. Absolutely chuffed. Regardless of whether I knew Harmon was running it, the 4th season had just lost something. Pleased to see that it's back.