Compulsory military service re-introduced in France.

jackofalltrades

Seems it was one of Macron's electoral promises. It will be for one month (per year ? ) for all men and women aged between 18 - 21. Obviously it's related to the jihadist attacks over recent years but what else do you reckon is the significance of this "call to arms" ? @JPRouve, how do young French people feel about this ?

How would you feel if it was done in the UK ?

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Military is bullshit. But for public services I wouldn't mind, i.e. support work in the NHS or something. As long as it's paid obviously.

jackofalltrades

How would it help regarding jihadist attacks?
I suppose the argument is that just knowing how to use firearms and being able to respond in an emergency would help. There have been cases where off-duty policemen have interevened in such circumstances.

I imagine it's also to do with perceived threats from Russia and keeping recalcitrant youths busy.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I suppose the argument is that just knowing how to use firearms and being able to respond in an emergency would help. There have been cases where off-duty policemen have interevened in such circumstances.

I imagine it's also to do with perceived threats from Russia and keeping recalcitrant youths busy.
Wouldn't would-be terrorists receive the exact same training though given a lot of them are likely French nationals? In a situation where everyone has firearm training, the guys with firearms have an advantage.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Useless, they're wasting time money and resources let alone the wellbeing of their citizen. A compulsory military service would really fecked up alot of youngsters.

Besides its the 21st century, God forbid there'll be another conventional war it'll be fought with ballistic missile and nuclear.

Silva

Useless, they're wasting time money and resources let alone the wellbeing of their citizen. A compulsory military service would really fecked up alot of youngsters.

Besides its the 21st century, God forbid there'll be another conventional war it'll be fought with ballistic missile and nuclear.
It'll be fought with drones and mental robots. You need young people with good hand-eye coordination to run them.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
How would it help regarding jihadist attacks?

Or drones. What's the point of solders at this day and age really.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It'll be fought with drones and mental robots. You need young people with good hand-eye coordination to run them.
Which is why games like COD and Titanfall were invented. It's all to train for a futuristic world war :nervous: We are onto you !

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

I doubt they would send 18 year olds to the war front, unless France's soveriegnty was at stake.

The military do much more than fight wars. They help with disaster mitigation, providing security in local communes, rescue, first aid responders, etc...

I don't see much wrong with it.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
E preemptive strike to the snowflake generation building up. I say extend it to 6-momths or a year to really get the benefits of it.

The armed forces are about much much much more than war. Armed conflict probably takes about 1% of the armed forces manpower while the 99% is used to make sure all of you live orderly lives.

Without the armed forces there would be absolute chaos in the world.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It has nothing to do with jihadist and it's quite empty at the moment, the report of MPs is supposed to be published at the end of the month. But basically it looks like an extended version of the JAPD. Also the french Army is professional, there is no conscription.

Good move, it would work well in the UK too. It's not about training them to fight wars its about instilling discipline and a sense of purpose.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I doubt they would send 18 year olds to the war front, unless France's soveriegnty was at stake.

The military do much more than fight wars. They help with disaster mitigation, providing security in local communes, rescue, first aid responders, etc...

I don't see much wrong with it.
What i meant is that their plans, education, career etc. 1 year in the middle can really disrupt your planning.

I'd rather they just incorporate the lite version and of basic discipline, patriotism, and emergency handling skills at high school. Probably something like civil defense subjects being compulsory in school.

Plus the logistics and cost of maintaining a boot camp for a year long stay would be better spent somewhere else

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't know the details of the french proposal but in principle the idea of mandatory military service strikes me as an awful idea. I don't see why the state should be able to dictate where adults spend X months every year when they've done nothing wrong. Especially when solely targeting 18-21 year olds, a group most proponents of compulsory service conveniently fall outside of. If older generations are so worried about society then they might consider giving up some of their own time to community service first rather than solely targeting younger generations.

Beyond that, it's an inefficient use of resources and disrupts the careers and education of young adults, whilst presumambly giving them training that will be largely useless once they graduate from their new sub-adult status. Also, I'd be very surprised if 18-21 year olds from wealthy backgrounds didn't find it easier to avoid compulsory service than the poor.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Good move, it would work well in the UK too. It's not about training them to fight wars its about instilling discipline and a sense of purpose.
Compulsory joining the military for a few months instills a sense of purpose?:confused:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I mean what problems could possibly arise from trying to introduce mandatory millitary service in places like Northern Ireland? I'm sure it would be a great success.

JPRouve

Scout
Compulsory joining the military for a few months instills a sense of purpose?:confused:
You don't join the military and from what I see it's more a civic and first aid camp plus summer school.

Billy Blaggs

Did you do it?

Discipline and a sense of purpose is taught by parents and school.

My son or daughter doesn't need to be told they have to go into the military to be taught that. It's an archaic way of thinking.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Or drones. What's the point of solders at this day and age really.
Except most of the conflicts going on right now actually still involve soldiers. Syria, Libya, Ukraine, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. since the end of WW2 people have been saying no need for troops since the next war will be nuclear, but yet we keep seeing conventional wars happening.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Absolutely. 18-21 is a delicate age where loads of youngsters struggle with decisions so military service can be an eye opener and a time for reflection.

I think people have a lot of misconceptions about military service after watching too many movies and they think they know everything despite never serving a day in the armed forces.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I think I'd support some kind of compulsory community service (paid at a proper rate), where the young people have a decent choice of things to sign up for. There would have to be flexibility about when it was done.

JPRouve

Scout
I think I'd support some kind of compulsory community service (paid at a proper rate), where the young people have a decent choice of things to sign up for. There would have to be flexibility about when it was done.
It's apparently an alternative, we already have it as a voluntary service.

Billy Blaggs

Why? Honestly why does a young man or woman in their early years need to be have to be forced into anything?

Siorac

Terrible move, obviously. Has it been confirmed? I know it was one of Macron's election promises but I'd like to know more details.

Though regardless of details, compulsory military service is a pointless disruption of the lives of young people, time they will never get back. No supposedly free, democratic country should force its citizens to waste a period of their lives on this.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Terrible move, obviously. Has it been confirmed? I know it was one of Macron's election promises but I'd like to know more details.

Though regardless of details, compulsory military service is a pointless disruption of the lives of young people, time they will never get back. No supposedly free, democratic country should force its citizens to waste a period of their lives on this.
How long did you serve for in the armed forces?

Siorac

How long did you serve for in the armed forces?
What does that have to do with anything?

I mean, here we are, on a football forum for a professional football club. Have you ever played professional football?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Ridiculous. Right wing move.

I don't know the details of the french proposal but in principle the idea of mandatory military service strikes me as an awful idea. I don't see why the state should be able to dictate where adults spend X months every year when they've done nothing wrong. Especially when solely targeting 18-21 year olds, a group most proponents of compulsory service conveniently fall outside of. If older generations are so worried about society then they might consider giving up some of their own time to community service first rather than solely targeting younger generations.

Beyond that, it's an inefficient use of resources and disrupts the careers and education of young adults, whilst presumambly giving them training that will be largely useless once they graduate from their new sub-adult status. Also, I'd be very surprised if 18-21 year olds from wealthy backgrounds didn't find it easier to avoid compulsory service than the poor.
Did you do it?

Discipline and a sense of purpose is taught by parents and school.

My son or daughter doesn't need to be told they have to go into the military to be taught that. It's an archaic way of thinking.
Totally agree with these.

It's a laughable, divisive proposal in this day and age, and will no doubt increase both far-right sentiment and anti-government feeling at the same time.