Confirmed: Moyes sacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He's only ever been sacked by Bayern Munich mate. I think he resigned at Barcelona both times.
Well, he was as good as sacked from both Holland and Barca to be fair. National football is a totally different beast mind.

Seems to have his fair share of high profile fallings out too. Wonder who it will be at United...

Woodzy

:lol:
Bloody hell :lol: I'm amazed you didn't over-analyse "here" to mean press conferences rather than football.
It's not over-analysing. 'Trying' was a common narrative with him throughout the season. It's a clear indication of his mentality and how he wasn't up to the task.

Moriarty

Tell me Sky can't get this low! Has the ABU mindset gone over their heads? I wonder how they would react if Wenger was sacked tomorrow morning for example.:houllier:

Moyes was 1,000 times more deserving of a sacking than everything AVB got in his face.
But Villas-Boas was a foreigner and so fair game for the cnuts at Sky.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Sky are sycophantic in their support of Moyes. The coverage is making out as if the club is actually in the wrong.

This is the most deserving sacking I've seen in a very long time.
I'm getting a bit wound up about all this myself. Anywhere anywhere else Moyes would have gone long ago and the idea that he's been shabbily treated in some way is gobsmacking. This man has overseen an absolute travesty of a season.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I'm getting a bit wound up about all this myself. Anywhere anywhere else Moyes would have gone long ago and the idea that he's been shabbily treated in some way is gobsmacking. This man has overseen an absolute travesty of a season.
And with so many other sackings this season and barely a mention of how badly those clubs treated their poor useless managers

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
The truth is, though, that Moyes’s fate was all but sealed after a defeat at Olympiacos on February 25. Until then, United’s message was that Moyes would remain. However, so bad was the 2-0 loss that the Glazers began to seriously question their judgment — and that of Sir Alex Ferguson — for the first time.

Keenst

Don't blame it on the Shinji
Don'e blame it on the Welbeck
Don't blame it on the Evra

Blame it on the Moysie.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
It's not about how bad he did and when he should have been sacked. It's the way in which the news was released. No one is saying he shouldn't be sacked, but it doesn't cost anything to do it the right way and with class. No matter how bad he did.

And just because other clubs trash their managers in public doesn't mean we should be the same.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
So when can we expect a statement from Moyes? Even in written form?

Litch

It's not about how bad he did and when he should have been sacked. It's the way in which the news was released. No one is saying he shouldn't be sacked, but it doesn't cost anything to do it the right way and with class. No matter how bad he did.

And just because other clubs trash their managers in public doesn't mean we should be the same.
Sign of the times unfortunately. Social media means it's very difficult to keep this within the boardroom without it being leaked. I think often these things are also leaked intentionally in order to soften the blow. By the time the club makes a statement, it's common knowledge....

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Well, he was as good as sacked from both Holland and Barca to be fair. National football is a totally different beast mind.

Seems to have his fair share of high profile fallings out too. Wonder who it will be at United...
I'll give you 1 guess and it begins with Roo and ends in Ney.

RustyS

The attempt to rewrite history is underway making this sound like it was a hasty decision. It wasn't. The results don't lie and even if the blame doesn't lie 100% with the manager, sacking the manager is the only feasible solution.

End of a bad chapter for both us and DM. He will go on to be the manager at a club where his skill set is a better fit for their needs and we will find a proven manager who has the required experience at the top level.

scorgasm

Last Man Standing champion 2020/21
So when can we expect a statement from Moyes? Even in written form?
I think normal procedure is that it will come through the League Managers Association which can be found here:

http://www.leaguemanagers.com - you can see Hughton's here and many more.

Although, it is reported he hasn't left the training ground yet... at least it was about an hour ago, I imagine he's either taken someone hostage or more likely there are discussions to be had and things to finish off.

I hate this guy usually, but this article is brilliant imo.

http://www.football365.com/john-nicholson/9277002/John-Nicholson

It Was Obvious This Was Never Going To Work
From day one, Johnny was aware that David Moyes and Manchester United was a marriage made in hell. Why on earth did people try to justify such unmitigated failure?

The sack. At last. Thank god.

It's been coming since last July. The truth is Moyes should never have been appointed as the manager of one of earth's biggest football clubs. You didn't need to be 'a football man' to know that. You didn't need to be an ABU to know that. This isn't 20/20 hindsight. All you needed was to look at his record. It told us everything about what he was like, who he was and why he wasn't suitable. That's why so many of us called it out from day one as a stupid decision to appoint him. We were not hugely perceptive. It was so easy to see.

Football likes to think of itself as big business, but it isn't really - not compared to proper big businesses turning over billions. But if any club is big business, it's Manchester United. A global empire dedicated to selling poly-cotton duvets to people in Thailand as well as winning football matches needs a big man with a big personality and a big vision at the helm. Moyes was none of these things, self-evidently. From the start he looked like a little boy on his first day at the big school.

In awe of the post he had acquired (but surely knew he didn't deserve), from the get-go Moyes betrayed a terrible naivety and it just got worse and worse. In fact, with the exception of playing Adnan Januzaj, which could be assigned as much to good fortune as intelligence (woefully painted as some sort of genius by those desperate for United not to be as rubbish as they plainly were), Moyes did nothing, absolutely nothing right during his tenure. Nothing at all.

Tactics: awful.

Substitutions: terrible.

Post and pre-game interviews: embarrassing.

Training regime: hated.

Transfers: inept.

Inspiration: non-existent.

Body language: beaten.

Demeanour: absolutely terrified.

I've watched football since 1966 and I have never, ever seen a top flight manager as inept and downright frightened of the job as Moyes has been. How has it been allowed to go on so long? It's been so obvious he was short of the mark by a country mile.

He sacked his inherited backroom staff - staff who had won the league - and replaced them with men who hadn't. The sight of Phil Neville on the bench advising Moyes was laughable and entirely symbolic of the parochial, small mind that Moyes was allowed to bring to the job.

Throughout this inglorious period, until very recently, Moyes enjoyed a blanket, blinkered support from almost everyone in the media. They criticised the players but not the manager. Indeed, no matter how awful the results and performances, Moyes was given a free pass, almost being written out of events as though he wasn't there at all. It started to seem odd; as though a memo had gone out instructing everyone to toe the same line. At one point, United's press team put out a story about how he had a 'high-tech bunker' (a bunker!) with whiteboards and a computer and proffered this as evidence of Moyes' modernity. Presumably those responsible had not heard of the concept of parody.

Even on Monday night, BBC 5lives' Mike Ingham was asserting that 'everyone' thought he was the right man for the job. This is an extraordinary version of events and is simply, categorically and provably untrue. This fiction about Moyes has been relentlessly pushed at us for 11 months and kept him in a job.

I know people who know Moyes and they tell me he is a lovely guy. I don't doubt it. This may well be why he was so unsuited to such a big role. When his appointment was announced I wrote it would 'crush him to ginger powder' and man, he looks like he's aged nine years in nine months. I got it wrong though. I thought he'd be gone by Christmas, but by Christ he should have been.

We were told to give him time, but why? United don't have time, ever. But no-one at the club seemed to realise this. They must win now, not in the future. The next coach will have no time. No honeymoon. Just win and win now. That's why you're paid £2.6million a year and this is what the job is. Be good immediately. There's no growing into the United job. The guff about legacy and six years to build was the dumbest pile of garbage I've ever heard in football.

That is not the modern world of football nor of business. There is no proof beyond Sir Alex Ferguson that a long tenure brings more success. Many of us have pointed this out for ten years at least, but hey what do we know, we just write on the internet. Gary Neville's epic phrase about United 'standing against the immediacy of the modern world' could have been crafted by George Orwell, but it always was utter drivel. They don't. They're just a big club and when big clubs lose a lot, they sack their manager. End of story. This is not hard to understand.

There should be no sympathy for Moyes because in no other walk of life could he ever have been so handsomely rewarded for such abject failure. You or I could have done as poorly for half the money. Had United had no manager for this season, they would not have been worse. In fact, I'd wager they'd have been better because Moyes isn't just poor, he's a dead weight, dragging the club into the mire. The fact Everton look so liberated from the yoke of his management at Goodison only rubbed salt into a wound viciously slashed open last summer. United have been bleeding ever since.

The real villains in this are two-fold. First and fore-most, the board for being craven to Ferguson. He's just an old bloke who was very good at managing a football team, not a god. His judgement is self-evidently not infallible.

Secondly, the fans who stuck with Moyes. They might like to think of themselves as loyal and noble but they were nothing of the sort. It was they who dragged this out for many months longer than was needed. There's no point in radically damaging your club - and make no mistake that is what has happened - for the sake of giving someone who is no good a chance. The fans should have known better. Tribal club loyalty was blinding too many people, as it so often does.

The most remarkable thing about Moyes' appointment was that, in a sport of such variables, the outcome was so very predictable. As I said last summer, United must appoint a big man for this big job. But honestly after this debacle, can they be trusted to do that? Who next, Sir Alex? Billy Davies is available. What a truly pathetic shambles this has been.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I was fairly pleased with the Moyes appointment and I am about the same 11 months down the line at his dismissal. Even though I had maintained that he needed 18 months and another summer with significant investment in order for us to see if we had made the correct decision.

The results though have not been up to par, he has not achieved and indeed has fallen a fair bit short of even the lowest of expectations for our season. There has been very little evidence of the players being behind him and the board have taken a very swift decision to remove him after a series of abject performances domestically against teams that are (or rather SHOULD be) on our level.

The squad has been heavily criticised, it has deserved a lot of it, but let us not kid ourselves. Sir Alex Ferguson, whilst the greatest manager ever, was not a Mage or White Wizard and there must be other factors at play for a team who won the league by 11 points last season to fall off so dramatically.

Results is one thing, the other thing at work here is Moyes' relationship, or lack of, with the players. He did well to keep Rooney at the club and motivated enough to produce some good form this season. But there is clearly a strained relationship with Van Persie, Kagawa, Nani, Giggs and it would seem Danny Welbeck also. That only covers those who are still at the club.

In the process of "having a look" at Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia he had also effectively frozen out Wilfried Zaha and drained him of confidence before the season had kicked off whilst Alex Buttner was inexplicably preferred ahead of Fabio who was eventually sold.

On the flip side of that though he was brave enough to blood Januzaj, possibly his biggest plus point on the season.

But that only makes his reluctance to play either Janko or Varela or feck, even Fabio all the more confusing while persistently playing one of either Valencia, Jones or Smalling out of position at right back. Those young players have shown themselves capable of a chance, in a position of need. Even if it goes wrong, it would show intent, that there was a clear plan in place to promote the young lads, something Moyes assured us would happen.

We as United fans had been forgiving with poor results, but to continue to produce dross by doing the same things over and over again, that is the straw, that is why he has gone. He simply can't be trusted to bring something new to the table. The Board, Media and fans all coalesced at the same time on this point. It very rarely happens that such consensus is reached unanimously at the same time by all three parties. Unluckily for Moyes, this was one of those times.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Sky are sycophantic in their support of Moyes. The coverage is making out as if the club is actually in the wrong.

This is the most deserving sacking I've seen in a very long time.
So, so true.

At any other club in Europe who is anywhere near our stature, he'd have been sacked at Christmas.

A1X

Its obviously true. It wasn't the poor results, the loss of the dressing room, the terrible football or the club's league position which forced their hand. It was Danny Welbeck.
Danny Welbeck is actually the mafia boss of Old Trafford. People think Woodward and Ferguson call the shots. No way.

What Danny wants, Danny gets. Savvy? Even Phil Jones is terrified of Danny Welbeck.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The attempt to rewrite history is underway making this sound like it was a hasty decision. It wasn't. The results don't lie and even if the blame doesn't lie 100% with the manager, sacking the manager is the only feasible solution.

End of a bad chapter for both us and DM. He will go on to be the manager at a club where his skill set is a better fit for their needs and we will find a proven manager who has the required experience at the top level.
Absolutely, it would have been absurd to keep him on after this season. We brought a lot of it on ourselves mind, trying to make out that we were on a higher plane than other clubs with regards to managers. Hubris will always catch up with you. Time to get back to reality.

Or as a Chelsea fan on here (I think) aptly put it - welcome aboard the managerial merry-go-round.

Plugsy

Surely even he must have seen the writing on the wall. It can't have come as a big shock. Given the players we have the fact so many of them looked as comfortable on the ball as a heterosexual giving his first blow-job at gun-point, should have told him something at least.

Raul Madrid

If the team wins the remaining games I have a strong feeling people will want giggs to stay on. The media will get behind him and it could become a big thing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.