Contact lost with Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 | 8th March 2014

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Still so strange that nothing, absolutely nothing has been found of this flight. Still a possibility they are not even searching in the right areas. Not a tinfoil hat kind of guy, so not buying most of the very strange conspiracy theories that are being peddled on this. Like in most mysteries the explanation will turn out to be relatively simple. Pilot suicide, mechanical/system failure of some sort, etc. Though I suppose if the flight is never found, we will never have any idea of what really happened or where.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I was reading about the fate of Eastern Air Lines Flight 980 a little while back, a case which has perhaps entered the field of archaeology rather than simply accident investigation. Even though they had a fair idea of where it had gone down, environmental conditions prevented the discovery of any wreckage for twenty years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Air_Lines_Flight_980

What the extreme cold might do to either the FDR or CVR over such a period, i have not the expertise to say, however it is possible that the passengers could still be in a remarkable state of preservation. A bit like when a neolithic man was discovered in the Alps [at least i think that was the era in question].

MH370 could be just such a case.

KanieKaned

I was reading about the fate of Eastern Air Lines Flight 980 a little while back, a case which has perhaps entered the field of archaeology rather than simply accident investigation. Even though they had a fair idea of where it had gone down, environmental conditions prevented the discovery of any wreckage for twenty years.

What the extreme cold might do to either the FDR or CVR over such a period, i have not the expertise to say, however it is possible that the passengers could still be in a remarkable state of preservation. A bit like when a neolithic man was discovered in the Alps [at least i think that was the era in question].

Jayziz imagine that, ploughing right into a feckin mountain. Awful way to go out.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Maybe with future technologies we will be able to revive these victims.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Still so strange that nothing, absolutely nothing has been found of this flight. Still a possibility they are not even searching in the right areas. Not a tinfoil hat kind of guy, so not buying most of the very strange conspiracy theories that are being peddled on this. Like in most mysteries the explanation will turn out to be relatively simple. Pilot suicide, mechanical/system failure of some sort, etc. Though I suppose if the flight is never found, we will never have any idea of what really happened or where.
Have you seen the size of the area it could have gone down in? 2,800,0000 square miles and that's if they have the right guess. That's almost the size of the United States.

Zoom in on Google earth to an airport in the US until you see a plane and then start zooming out until you have an idea of how big that area is. Now imagine that the plane might be under water. Or imagine that it's smashed into pieces and most of these pieces sunk but some that didn't sink or burn are spreading out. Imagine trying to spot something the size of half a wing or a seat.

The only way they will ever get any sort of closure is if a small piece washes up on a beach somewhere that people ever visit and someone sees it and then actually thinks "oh that looks like the head rest from an Airplane, I'll take it back to see if an expert thinks it's MH370".

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Your use of ':-D' makes me slightly uneasy for some reason, @Dracula
Its supposed to turn into the smiling emoticon which i have trouble selecting on this phone for some reason.

Im sure that should make you feel much better

Krits

I have just received a mail from my company regarding aviation safety record for 2014. This is just the first paragraph giving a small gist. Anyone who wants to read the whole thing may PM me.

ANALYSIS: Airline safety performance in 2014

By: David Learmount

London

Source:

Calendar year 2014 has turned out to be the best 12 months ever for airline safety, according to Ascend, a Flightglobal advisory service. For many this may seem an unexpected result, given the perceptions created by the high-profile losses of two Malaysia AirlinesBoeing777s and the crash of an AirAsiaAirbus A320 just before year-end.

Ascend’s director of air safety and insurance, Paul Hayes, reveals that the global airline fatal accident rate in 2014 was one fatal accident per 2.38 million flights. On this basis 2014 was, narrowly, the safest year ever.

Take a look at the accidents and incidents 2014 attached table

The figures exclude the 17 July loss over eastern Ukraine of Malaysia flight MH17, on the grounds that it was shot down by a guided missile and is considered a war risk loss, not an accident. Although doubts exist about the status of missing Malaysia flight MH370 (see accident tables), that incident has been included in the fatal accident rates. If the disappearance were, however, eventually confirmed as the result of a deliberate act by someone on board – as many experts in Malaysia and elsewhere now believe – and if it were therefore excluded from the accident statistics, its absence would make the 2014 figures even more impressive. MH370 was the largest single loss of the year in terms of people presumed dead as a result of the incident.

The previous best airline safety year was 2012, with a fatal accident rate of one per 2.37 million flights, says Hayes. In the other years since 2010, the fatal accident rate was one per 1.91 million flights in 2013, one per 1.4 million in 2011 and one per 1.26 million in 2010. The average for the last five years is now about one fatal accident per 1.75 million flights.

The 2014 Malaysian disasters, however, have twisted perceptions of airline safety, despite 2014 being such a safe year. Ascend’s 2014Safety Perception Survey starts by quoting an actual newspaper headline fairly representative of media reaction: “As another jet crashes… is it safe to fly?” The study later sums up why this appears to be the perception: “The year 2014 will be remembered for the loss of the two Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777s, resulting in 510 passenger and 27 crew deaths.

Jippy

Staff
I have just received a mail from my company regarding aviation safety record for 2014. This is just the first paragraph giving a small gist. Anyone who wants to read the whole thing may PM me.
The figures exclude the 17 July loss over eastern Ukraine of Malaysia flight MH17, on the grounds that it was shot down by a guided missile and is considered a war risk loss, not an accident
This may be true for statistical or indeed insurance reasons, but certainly isn't when it comes to public perception of airline safety. Wonder how 2014 compares when assessed on a total number of deaths basis?

Dracula

caf plane air-master
This may be true for statistical or indeed insurance reasons, but certainly isn't when it comes to public perception of airline safety. Wonder how 2014 compares when assessed on a total number of deaths basis?
I think thats the point, it was based on deaths total. Only 'dodgy' aspect to the figures is the ignoring of the ukraine 777 due to it being in a war zone.

the point being that even if you did count the ukraine 777, it would still be one of the best years for aviation safety on record which is pretty remarkable considering.

As you say, its public perception of aviation safety

Krits

The thing you have to consider is that the same considerations will be given to previous years. So assuming that there would be other cases in previous years where deaths were not counted towards aviation accidental statistics it still shows that this year hasn't been as bad as previous.

The thing about aviation is its obsession with improving previous years figures or any previous figures. This is why aviation is safe. They never stop pushing to make things safer.

Jippy

Staff
I think thats the point, it was based on deaths total. Only 'dodgy' aspect to the figures is the ignoring of the ukraine 777 due to it being in a war zone.

the point being that even if you did count the ukraine 777, it would still be one of the best years for aviation safety on record which is pretty remarkable considering.

As you say, its public perception of aviation safety
Appreciate previous years' figures are calculated on the same basis but the Ukraine event was a massive rarity, so unlikely many years have had a similar incident chalked off.
On the death front, I was getting at the total number in absolute terms. Am assuming the number of flights keeps increasing year on year so if you have the same number of deaths in 2015, it will look better than this year's total statistically.

JustAFan

Watched a show called Ghost Plane last night. It had aviation experts, family members of people aboard MH370 and they went through all the various scenario's as to what may have happened. No answers obviously, but overall they avoided going over the top and just talked about each scenario and it's likelihood. Yes they even spent a small amount of time on the "It flew to Diego Garcia" theory and a very small amount of time mentioning some of the other bizarre theories (meteor strike, UFO's,).

It was filmed before the German pilot's suicide/murder of his passengers, so that did not get a mention when they talked about pilot suicide as a possibility.

One of the passengers wives was big on the Diego Garcia theory or that it landed on some small island in the Indian Ocean on some secret landing strip.

Watched a show called Ghost Plane last night. It had aviation experts, family members of people aboard MH370 and they went through all the various scenario's as to what may have happened. No answers obviously, but overall they avoided going over the top and just talked about each scenario and it's likelihood. Yes they even spent a small amount of time on the "It flew to Diego Garcia" theory and a very small amount of time mentioning some of the other bizarre theories (meteor strike, UFO's,).

It was filmed before the German pilot's suicide/murder of his passengers, so that did not get a mention when they talked about pilot suicide as a possibility.

One of the passengers wives was big on the Diego Garcia theory or that it landed on some small island in the Indian Ocean on some secret landing strip.
I think its almost certain by this point one of the pilots, probably the Captain, flew it out to sea. It's the only theory that doesn't have anything to debunk it.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Kinda hard to have a secret landing strip when the whole world is satellite mapped.

JustAFan

Kinda hard to have a secret landing strip when the whole world is satellite mapped.

Now see that is the type of logic the does in so many conspiracy theories, you just stop.

I am sure someone has spent their time using google maps satellite view to search all sorts of Islands in the Indian Ocean for just such a landing strip

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
Easier than you'd think, have a look at google earth at Singapore for the section of the ECP alongside the Laguna golf club and National sailing centre and there's 2-3km of perfectly straight, perfectly level twin 3 lane highway. Go into street view and pan along it and you'll notice that rather than the usual planted central reserve and rain trees to either flank which shade the road, it instead has a wooden planter box in the median and perfectly uniform vertical palm trees along either flank unlike any other section of the highway. It was designed that way so that in the event of an attack on the civilian and military airports a single bulldozer could turn it into a fully functional runway capable of handling every single plane in the SAF if need be. There's a similar section on Lim Chu Kang Road too and apparently a third one located underground.

Top secret though, just ask any taxi driver on his way to or from the airport.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Unless it was extremely well concealed I think you're right there. However, if you are using that logic then explain why the plane has never been found?

The media fobbed us all off with shite quality satellite pictures when most of us can see more detail from google earth on your phone and they expected us to believe that those grainy images were from the top satellites?

MDFC Manager

Unless it was extremely well concealed I think you're right there. However, if you are using that logic then explain why the plane has never been found?

The media fobbed us all off with shite quality satellite pictures when most of us can see more detail from google earth on your phone and they expected us to believe that those grainy images were from the top satellites?
What you see on google earth are often non-realtime imagery though.

langster

Scout
What you see on google earth are often non-realtime imagery though.
Obviously, and I completely understand that, but people were talking about satellites with the ability to read newspapers from space 30 years ago. I've seen countless documentaries that have shown high quality live images from various satellites for one reason or another. All i'm saying is the grainy pictures shown on TV is definitely NOT what the heads of search and rescue and the military were looking at and searching from. I'm also 99.9% sure it is lying at the bottom of the sea somewhere.

MDFC Manager

Obviously, and I completely understand that, but people were talking about satellites with the ability to read newspapers from space 30 years ago. I've seen countless documentaries that have shown high quality live images from various satellites for one reason or another. All i'm saying is the grainy pictures shown on TV is definitely NOT what the heads of search and rescue and the military were looking at and searching from. I'm also 99.9% sure it is lying at the bottom of the sea somewhere.
Ah I get ya now. And I agree with your conclusion as well, in fact I'd go and say its 100% sure that's whats happened.

langster

Scout
Ah I get ya now. And I agree with your conclusion as well, in fact I'd go and say its 100% sure that's whats happened.
I'm leaving the 0.01% just in case it is found on the moon or in the Grand Canyon or with Shergar and Lord Lucan sat having lunch with Elvis and 2Pac.

Lewis.no.9

Have you seen the size of the area it could have gone down in? 2,800,0000 square miles and that's if they have the right guess. That's almost the size of the United States.

Zoom in on Google earth to an airport in the US until you see a plane and then start zooming out until you have an idea of how big that area is. Now imagine that the plane might be under water. Or imagine that it's smashed into pieces and most of these pieces sunk but some that didn't sink or burn are spreading out. Imagine trying to spot something the size of half a wing or a seat.

The only way they will ever get any sort of closure is if a small piece washes up on a beach somewhere that people ever visit and someone sees it and then actually thinks "oh that looks like the head rest from an Airplane, I'll take it back to see if an expert thinks it's MH370".
How accurate were you lol. Great foresight.