Contact lost with Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 | 8th March 2014

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
MH370 search: Investigators confirm debris from plane but say they are still no nearer to discovering truth

MH370 disappeared in 2014 while on a routine flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people on board

Simon Calder

The deepest mystery in aviation history has taken another twist. As the relatives of those lost aboard flight MH370 prepare to mark two years since their loved ones disappeared, a piece of wreckage washed ashore on a sandbank off the coast of Mozambique is thought to be from the missing plane.

A US official told CNN that the debris found in the Indian Ocean is probably a piece of horizontal stabiliser skin from a Boeing 777. If that proves correct, it is highly likely that the source is the missing Malaysia Airlines jet.

MH370 disappeared on 8 March 2014 while on a routine flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people on board. The last contact with the plane took place at 1.19am, when the captain acknowledged air-traffic control with the words “Good Night Malaysian three-seven-zero”.

It took the airline a further six hours to tell the world that one of its planes was missing. No distress messages were sent.

The location of the latest find, on an Indian Ocean shore, is consistent with the only confirmed wreckage from the plane, discovered on Reunion Island last July.

Malaysia Airlines said that until the latest find had been identified, it was “too speculative” to comment.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-still-no-nearer-to-discovering-a6907731.html

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Wow has it really been 2 years? Felt like it happened only last year.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Don't work for the company that issued all the sonars etc anymore however from what I've heard they've found numerous bits of debris (50+) that is all very very likely to be the flight however nothing is actually released until it can be directly linked to the specific flight. Could be ex colleagues speaking shit though.

The debris bit is true as I've seen photos (snapchats) of some of the findings.

MTF

Don't work for the company that issued all the sonars etc anymore however from what I've heard they've found numerous bits of debris (50+) that is all very very likely to be the flight however nothing is actually released until it can be directly linked to the specific flight. Could be ex colleagues speaking shit though.

The debris bit is true as I've seen photos (snapchats) of some of the findings.
Thanks for sharing, and hope this is true.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Still kinda baffled by what the feck has happened to this plane.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I just looked up Reúnion and Mauritius. My god, those debris pieces are so far away from Malaysia in the opposite direction (it was supposed to head to Peking).

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
I just looked up Reúnion and Mauritius. My god, those debris pieces are so far away from Malaysia in the opposite direction (it was supposed to head to Peking).
It had had done a U turn and appeared to be heading for Penang before it vanished off radar so the areas where it appears to be washing up are in line with the huge body of Indian ocean it was believed to have crashed in.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Erm? If the plane crashed where we think it did that is exactly where we would expect the debris to wash up.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Erm? If the plane crashed where we think it did that is exactly where we would expect the debris to wash up.
If it crashed in the middle of an ocean quite simply, you wouldn't. They would have a predicted area where some of it COULD wash up, but there is no way of telling. All oceans have a myriad of currents and then of course you have weather elements to include and then you have to calculate how long it was all at sea for. The vast majority of it will be buffeted around the sea for the rest of it's life, and some will eventually turn up on beaches, but some could easily turn up on the Indian coastline as well as the African and Australian. It is literally impossible to tell.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
If it crashed in the middle of an ocean quite simply, you wouldn't.
Yes you would. This is exactly where you would predict some wreckage would wash up.

They would have a predicted area where some of it COULD wash up, but there is no way of telling.
Sorry? Such locations are prime locations where you would predict wreckage to be found and indeed it has been found. We know more or less where is crashed, we know the ocean currents, wreckage has been found consistent with both. So it isn't impossible to tell. As we did tell.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Yes you would. This is exactly where you would predict some wreckage would wash up.

Sorry? Such locations are prime locations where you would predict wreckage to be found and indeed it has been found. We know more or less where is crashed, we know the ocean currents, wreckage has been found consistent with both. So it isn't impossible to tell. As we did tell.
Sorry, I read your post as a question rather than a statement.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ht-mh370-hunt-for-debris-will-not-be-extended

The hunt for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 is to be suspended if evidence of the missing jet is not found in the current search area.

The transport ministers of Australia, Malaysia and China, representing the country leading the search, the airline and the home of the majority of its passengers, met to discuss the future of the search in the Malaysian federal administrative centre of Putrajaya on Friday.

They announced that it would “not end, but be suspended” if the completion of the two-year search of a 120,000 sq km arc of the southern Indian ocean west of Australia fails to yield any new evidence.

Less than 10,000 sq km of that area remain, though progress is slow due to poor weather conditions.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
That theory isn't new and if that asshole wanted to kill himself, there are better ways to go without taking the lives of 300 people even if he's committing insurance fraud on the way.

Carolina Red

Staff
How long before airplanes AI can forcibly take control of the plane if the pilot is acting or doing anything unusual?
No kidding...
In 1997, a captain working for a Singaporean airline called SilkAir is believed to have disabled the black boxes of a Boeing 737 and to have plunged the airplane at supersonic speeds into a river.* In 1999, EgyptAir Flight 990 was deliberately crashed into the sea by its co-pilot off the coast of Long Island, resulting in the loss of everyone on board. In 2013, just months before MH370 disappeared, the captain of LAM Mozambique Airlines Flight 470 flew his Embraer E190 twin jet from cruising altitude into the ground, killing all 27 passengers and all six crew members. The most recent case is the Germanwings Airbus that was deliberately crashed into the French Alps on March 24, 2015, also causing the loss of everyone on board.

Carolina Red

Staff
It ain’t worth it, y’all... :(

He said, “Zaharie’s marriage was bad. In the past he slept with some of the flight attendants. And so what? We all do. You’re flying all over the world with these beautiful girls in the back. But his wife knew.”

wr8_utd

:'(
The whole bit about a plane flying dark, with its entire crew and passengers dead other than the pilot is a pretty chilling vision to imagine.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Very well written article. Diabolical plan if the pilot truly did the whole depressurisation stunt at 40,000 feet to knock out and kill everyone.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Very well written article. Diabolical plan if the pilot truly did the whole depressurisation stunt at 40,000 feet to knock out and kill everyone.
I mean if you're committed to crashing the plain anyway it's almost humane to kill people that way before they fully realize what will happen to them.

wr8_utd

:'(
I can’t wrap my mind around the thought process of killing all those people just to kill yourself.
As the article shows, it seems like something that has happened a disturbingly high number of times with pilots. I guess it's hard to explain away the thought process of a man who is contemplating suicide anyway.

I guess the silver lining is that it was atleast a painless death for them.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I mean if you're committed to crashing the plain anyway it's almost humane to kill people that way before they fully realize what will happen to them.
Yes but I could have never fathomed that someone would draw up such a plan.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The whole bit about a plane flying dark, with its entire crew and passengers dead other than the pilot is a pretty chilling vision to imagine.
There's a case in Greece where the plane lost pressurisation and just flew on like a ghost. The worst part is one steward was alive and tried to control it but his own oxygen failed* before he could. Airforce jets that pulled up alongside could see through the windows - everyone in their seats, no movement, the plane just flying in a straight line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522

*re-read, its even worse: he was conscious, waved to the military jets, and was trying to bring it under control when the fuel got exhausted and the plane hit the ground.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I can’t wrap my mind around the thought process of killing all those people just to kill yourself.
Weirdly the description of the oddly peaceful way they would have died (quickly losing consciousness with choking or struggling, without knowing what was happening) makes it seem even more grim to me. The idea that someone would have the capacity to choose a deliberately "humane" way of killing all those people, as opposed to simply being in a mental state where they weren't a consideration. An apathetic killer is easier to comprehend than an empathetic one.

Carolina Red

Staff
Weirdly the description of the oddly peaceful way they would have died (quickly losing consciousness with choking or struggling, without knowing what was happening) makes it seem even more grim to me. The idea that someone would have the capacity to choose a deliberately "humane" way of killing all those people, as opposed to simply being in a mental state where they weren't a consideration. An apathetic killer is easier to comprehend than an empathetic one.
Exactly. It makes me wonder why he couldn’t just cut them out of the equation altogether.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The old suicide by cop or head-on car collision suicide (possibly more common than acknowledged, though admittedly I can’t source that), taken to the next level of magnitude...