Conte | Spurs Manager

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Conte is world class manager?
Hmm... I prefer Arteta's style of play all day who is not considered as world class manager.

Conte remind me of the darkest period as Man Utd fans with Moyes, LVG, Jose and Ole where I really did fell asleep countless time watching them play negative football.
Not sure how anyone can watch that shit on stick football and be entertained. Sooner rather than later the players will down tools because nobody enjoys playing 60% of the game without the ball.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He’s actually Simeone’s twin brother, there were a few sequences in the first half when Spurs actually played their way out of Arsenal press very well, but for some reasons they resorted to sitting deep instead of keeping at that, and let Arsenal do whatever they want on the ball.

That style of football is actually the opposite of playing percentages. You are basically asking Son and Kane to execute perfectly every time in order to score goals, which they will inevitably come short sometimes.
A great point this. A fantastic combination, that hurt anyone on their day. However, when 1 or both of them are off their game, then you get performances and results like yesterday.

Will be interesting to see how the season plays out for Spurs. Any bias aside, you feel it's going to be a big 7 or 8 months for them with not only Conte's future but also Kane's future.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
i think World Class is Klopp, Pep and Ancelotti. Conte is in the tier below. You can’t have a European record like he does and expect to be in that top tier despite his domestic success.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
Mind, there is always a new stick to beat a donkey, if you really want to. I understand people over this forum are particularly eager to see him fail, but his failures will however be more than 99.9% managers out there will ever achieve. If that is not world class, I wonder what it is.
Being better than David Moyes or Brendon Rodgers doesn’t make you world class. World class is Pep, Klopp and Ancelotti. Conte is a tier below that. You can’t make a claim to be world class if you’ve never qualified for a CL semi final.

Remember the geese

Being better than David Moyes or Brendon Rodgers doesn’t make you world class. World class is Pep, Klopp and Ancelotti. Conte is a tier below that. You can’t make a claim to be world class if you’ve never qualified for a CL semi final.
Yeah he's on that Thomas Tuchel island of good to very good managers who you wouldn't really want us to appoint. Certainly not world class. I think Simeone is on there too. Possibly Pochettino, but perhaps that is a little kind.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Yeah but this is a complete “fried air” baton, you all know I hope… nobody gives a sh*t about such tag, and a pragmatist even less… their next problem is how to beat Frankfurt, then Brighton, then Frankfurt again. You all think you are belittling him but it is just childish banter, at this stage of the season.

crossy1686

career ending
Yeah he's on that Thomas Tuchel island of good to very good managers who you wouldn't really want us to appoint. Certainly not world class. I think Simeone is on there too. Possibly Pochettino, but perhaps that is a little kind.
Yeah exactly, really you want to go a tier below them and find someone who could break into the world class bracket. Picking someone up from that tier feels a lot like the glass ceiling club.

crossy1686

career ending
Yeah but this is a complete “fried air” baton, you all know I hope… nobody gives a sh*t about such tag, and a pragmatist even less… their next problem is how to beat Frankfurt, then Brighton, then Frankfurt again. You all think you are belittling him but it is just childish banter, at this stage of the season.
No one’s belittling anyone. Someone said he’s world class based on his record and then a bunch of people pointed out he’s not world class based on his record. You seem somewhat emotionally attached to the man, maybe that is clouding your judgement on him?

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
No one’s belittling anyone. Someone said he’s world class based on his record and then a bunch of people pointed out he’s not world class based on his record. You seem somewhat emotionally attached to the man, maybe that is clouding your judgement on him?
Well, if this is your level, I can surely fold and let you enjoy your game. :lol:

Remember the geese

Yeah exactly, really you want to go a tier below them and find someone who could break into the world class bracket. Picking someone up from that tier feels a lot like the glass ceiling club.
Fully agree. It's why ten Hag was a much more interesting and exciting appointment. I hope we stick to that approach in future years.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He’s a world class manager.

The plan was to hit them on the counter, and they did get in behind a few times without threatening.

It wasn’t a red card and it basically ended the game as a contest there and then. Not sure if Spurs would have equalised with 11 men on the pitch but they would have gone for it in the final 10-15 mins.
This is what I hate about the "pragmatic" crowd

Ok, your plan is to hit them on the break. Now you're down 2-1 due to the timidity of your tactics. Doesn't pragmatism by the very definition of the word mean throwing out those tactics that didn't work, and taking the game to the opposition then? Since that's the most "pragmatic" thing to do?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain

Ok, your plan is to hit them on the break. Now you're down 2-1 due to the timidity of your tactics. Doesn't pragmatism by the very definition of the word mean throwing out those tactics that didn't work, and taking the game to the opposition then? Since that's the most "pragmatic" thing to do?
They were 2-1 down due to a goalkeeping error and then had a man sent off 10 minutes later for a challenge that was a yellow. If they had 11 men on the pitch it would have been a tighter contest.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Still he will finish above Mikel arteta and his team. That's for sure.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They were 2-1 down due to a goalkeeping error and then had a man sent off 10 minutes later for a challenge that was a yellow. If they had 11 men on the pitch it would have been a tighter contest.
They conceded the first goal because they backed off Partey too much. That was a direct result of their tactics.

A lot of goals are conceded due to errors on the pitch but the tactics are almost never let off the hook. Except when the coach sets up "pragmatic", then it's "can't account for Lloris acting the fool". Replace him with Alisson or Ramsdale and no one is copping pleas for Arteta/Klopp's tactics.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
They conceded the first goal because they backed off Partey too much. That was a direct result of their tactics.

A lot of goals are conceded due to errors on the pitch but the tactics are almost never let off the hook. Except when the coach sets up "pragmatic", then it's "can't account for Lloris acting the fool". Replace him with Alisson or Ramsdale and no one is copping pleas for Arteta/Klopp's tactics.
You can have the best tactics in the world but you can’t legislate for errors.

The penalty came about because of Spur’s tactics - soaking up pressure and moving the ball up the pitch as quickly as possible. That transition drew a foul in the box. If you watched the game, that was the pattern for most of it. It’s a high risk but high reward approach, which is why their forwards generally exceed their xG metrics.

Partey’s goal was a fine finish but I don’t think it was any impressive play or anything. Spurs concede that space because they want players to shoot from low probability chances. It was a great finish in the only space in the goal that Lloris couldn’t get to.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich

Pragmatic and tactical only means you soaking up pressure and hoping your keeper has a game of his life with some lucky last ditch defending and many missed chances from the opponent

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
He’s actually Simeone’s twin brother, there were a few sequences in the first half when Spurs actually played their way out of Arsenal press very well, but for some reasons they resorted to sitting deep instead of keeping at that, and let Arsenal do whatever they want on the ball.

That style of football is actually the opposite of playing percentages. You are basically asking Son and Kane to execute perfectly every time in order to score goals, which they will inevitably come short sometimes.

Conte has already been played off the park this season by Arsenal and Chelsea. Actually I think he has been outplayed by every top team since last December but he's able to get some wins vs City when they score 3 goals from 3 shots on target

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Arteta is still far from the world class label, but I very much prefer him over a guy who plugs 11 men behind the ball versus all opposition. He is Italian of course, but even some modern day Italian managers are moving away from it. It's hard to watch and next year both Kane and Son will be 30 plus. Let them go to try to find some silverware in their last few years.

Idxomer

2 goals in 3 CL games and those only came against Marseille with a man advantage.

cyberman

He needs to rest Kane. His legs have gone over the last month. He just isn’t a threat from open play when he plays so deep

saivet

It's actually quite impressive how bad Conte is in Europe. Imagine they will still progress but they couldn't have picked a better draw.

Chief123

Every game that goes by with Conte as Spurs manager, I’m forever grateful to the Glazers for not going anywhere near him.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Played well tonight and had about 5 clear cut chances that our attackers managed to feck up. Decent result but we really should have won 2 or 3 nil.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I can't believe Kane didn't finish that cross from Son. Has to be fatigue. He didn't even attempt to stab at it.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
They're massively underwhelming, but it shouldn't surprise anyone, especially in Europe.
I thought we played well and should have won it by at least two goals. Frankfurt are no mugs so although disappointed not to win a draw is still a decent result. Not underwhelming at all

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Apparently he’s only won 32% of his CL games. That’s an atrocious record.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I can't believe Kane didn't finish that cross from Son. Has to be fatigue. He didn't even attempt to stab at it.
I think this could become a pretty big issue for Spurs. Kane and Son both already look a bit jaded even before playing twice a week for the next 5-6 weeks. It sounds like Moura will be out for a significant period and Conte clearly doesn't trust Gil at all, so Spurs really only have four forwards to rotate in three positions, with 11 more matches to play in the next month and a bit prior to the World Cup break. Conte also seems allergic to the idea of taking Kane out in particular. He's not even coming off the field when they are 6-2 up against Leicester, 4-1 up against Soton, or 2-0 up and playing 11 v 10 against Marseille.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
We can thank Gareth Southgate for helping to contribute to that playing him the full 90 mins in both international games as well recently. :)

Fatigue might be a problem for the likes of Kane and Son this season, especially when both will be playing prominently in the World Cup for their teams.

cyberman

I thought we played well and should have won it by at least two goals. Frankfurt are no mugs so although disappointed not to win a draw is still a decent result. Not underwhelming at all
The opposition were shite, did nothing to adjust to your counters and playing on the break yet you didn’t do anything when you had the chance. That’s what would worry me if I were a Spurs fan. It was perfect for your way of playing and you still struggled offensively. Same as with Arsenal and the ability to break on them, that didn’t really happen then either.

Smacky The Frog

Didn't watch the game (I've suffered through enough of Tottenham's football this season to know better), but he's looked clearly knackered/injured for about 2 years now, to the point where it seems more like irreversible physical decline rather than something that can be fixed with a rest. He was never rapid, but watching him run now is painful. You can see him trying but like in countless dreams I've had, the legs just don't seem to be working like they're supposed to. Like Rooney towards the end of his United career, he's compensating by moving deeper and trying to affect the game with his passing (and doing a much better job of it tbf to him), but he's lost that little bit of dynamism he had as an athlete that made him a world class forward. The kind of football they play seems to look absolutely exhausting as well.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He’s not a long term manager, he will be off soon enough and now potter is off the market I wouldn’t be surprised to see Tuchel or even the return of Poch

AshRK

I do understand Conte ball is boring but what I find funny is some of the Arsenal fans calling arteta ball brilliant. It's like they forgot the crap that produced by their so called elite manager for almost 2 and a half season. And even this season they crumbled when facing United.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The opposition were shite, did nothing to adjust to your counters and playing on the break yet you didn’t do anything when you had the chance. That’s what would worry me if I were a Spurs fan. It was perfect for your way of playing and you still struggled offensively. Same as with Arsenal and the ability to break on them, that didn’t really happen then either.
We made plenty of really good chances but just couldn't finish. I'll start worrying when we stop making chances.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
I do understand Conte ball is boring but what I find funny is some of the Arsenal fans calling arteta ball brilliant. It's like they forgot the crap that produced by their so called elite manager for almost 2 and a half season. And even this season they crumbled when facing United.
We didnt have the players to play our current brand of football. I even look back to last season, we often had Cedric or Tavares as wingbacks, sometimes both. These days we have any combination of White/Tomiyasu and Zinchenko/Tierney. Jesus instead of Lacazette, plus the oyungsters are a year older.

Arteta has improved the squad tenfold in terms of ability & attitude. Yes, it took him 3 seasons to clear the deck and get things going. But thats how long it might take ETH. ETH does not want to play a deep line with two holding players. But he is presently doing so as expansive football is not possible with United current core of players and the attitude of the squad. I still think Ronaldo is to ETH what PEA was to Arteta and ETH needs to get rid of Ronaldo to truly establish himself as in control.