Conte | Spurs Manager

acnumber9

Only one he actually wanted out of that lot was Bakayoko iirc. Morata they signed after they failed to get him Lukaku, and he went nuclear on the board over signings that season...
Yeah, but he didn’t leave an excellent squad. He left a squad equivalent to what Chelsea have had ever since Roman’s rubles came in. If not a little worse. They haven’t challenged for a title in five years.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, but he didn’t leave an excellent squad. He left a squad equivalent to what Chelsea have had ever since Roman’s rubles came in. If not a little worse. They haven’t challenged for a title in five years.
They also spend huge money on new signings after he left. I mean, the squad he left was pretty much the one he won the title with minus Matic(remember how he reacted to that) and Diego Costa(who had wanted out for years). Not exactly a bad squad...

acnumber9

They also spend huge money on new signings after he left. I mean, the squad he left was pretty much the one he won the title with minus Matic(remember how he reacted to that) and Diego Costa(who had wanted out for years). Not exactly a bad squad...
The squad he left being weaker than the one they won the title with and them spending huge money since doesn’t jive with the idea he left an excellent squad. He took over a squad that won the league a year earlier.

acnumber9

Can you name the so call Chelsea signing?

You mean guys like Kante and Alonso, that literally won them the title ??? Or Victor Moses, who was a player out on loan, that he transform into a world beater RWB ??? Or you maybe mean the players that he didn't want, but the club decided to buy and that's why they was a war between Conte and Marina Granovskaia. His second season was bad, mainly because of the burst with the board, and that they didn't want to buy the players he want.

Straight up facts are Michy Batshuayi that was club target long before Conte, and Drinkwater. Conte was furious and was showing that by not playing them.

And you serious about Inter? His work there with the players and improvements over them was incredible.

Just a few mention:
Hakimi brought for 40m. sold for 71.
Lukaku brought for 80m. and scored 64 goals in 2 season, sold for 115m.
Also Lautaro was pretty much average before Conte took over, and he turn him into top class player, that clubs were bidding for 80+m.
He improved their whole squad and rise their level and prize by quite a bit.

Both Juventus for long time were riding on Conte success and the build he did there, same with Inter now. I will be very curious to see Inter in the next couple of season with a total change of the players and so.

To be fair to Tuchel i doubt that he wanted Lukaku. That smell more of a board signing, rather the manager.
Yes and I did name them. I never said he isn’t a good manager. He is. I question the idea he leaves great squads behind. He didn’t at Chelsea. Getting passable performances out of Victor Moses has feck all to do with it.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The squad he left being weaker than the one they won the title with and them spending huge money since doesn’t jive with the idea he left an excellent squad. He took over a squad that won the league a year earlier.
Come on, he left behind a squad with Courtois, Christensen, Rudiger, Azpi, Kante, Alonso, Hazard, Fabregas, Willian and Pedro. They needed 3 signings to go from very good to great. That they replaced Courtois with Kepa, didn't get a RWB and top striker is their own fault. He didn't leave behind a squad in desperate need of a full on rebuild.

And he left because of the signings in the first place, because they didn't get the players he wanted

Pintu

He took over a squad that won the league a year earlier.
That's a stretch. The squad that won the league earlier had a good J.Terry (played 38 games). A rock-solid Ivanovic (I think he too had 38 games). Other experienced players like Mikel and Ramirez still helping. Of course, Oscar and Fabregas were regular starters. Fabregas had the legs still while in 2017 he only had the brains.

Conte had to reinvent a whole new way for Chelsea to defend and he did it with a different setup to protect the noticeably weaker defensive backs than what Mourinho had.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Come on, he left behind a squad with Courtois, Christensen, Rudiger, Azpi, Kante, Alonso, Hazard, Fabregas, Willian and Pedro. They needed 3 signings to go from very good to great. That they replaced Courtois with Kepa, didn't get a RWB and top striker is their own fault. He didn't leave behind a squad in desperate need of a full on rebuild.

And he left because of the signings in the first place, because they didn't get the players he wanted
One being van Dijk.

acnumber9

More than half those players pre date him and of the ones he signed, I wouldn’t consider Alonso anywhere close to excellent. They haven’t challenged for a league title since so I do question how good the squad he left was.

acnumber9

That's a stretch. The squad that won the league earlier had a good J.Terry (played 38 games). A rock-solid Ivanovic (I think he too had 38 games). Other experienced players like Mikel and Ramirez still helping. Of course, Oscar and Fabregas were regular starters. Fabregas had the legs still while in 2017 he only had the brains.

Conte had to reinvent a whole new way for Chelsea to defend and he did it with a different setup to protect the noticeably weaker defensive backs than what Mourinho had.
It’s not a stretch, it’s a reality.

He’s a good manager but again, I’m not questioning that. He leaves behind squads that can play his way and no other. I wouldn’t call what he left at Chelsea excellent. I don’t watch Serie A enough to really talk about Inter. I have seen plenty of the Ashley Young, Darmian, Lukaku and Sanchez and I wouldn’t say having them as part of your squad makes an excellent squad.

OleksUsykUD

Yes and I did name them. I never said he isn’t a good manager. He is. I question the idea he leaves great squads behind. He didn’t at Chelsea. Getting passable performances out of Victor Moses has feck all to do with it.
Sorry but you are overreaching here, trying to underrate the job he has done, and that his teams are in great shape when he leave, which obviously mean, he know what is doing on the training ground. He had a very decent team around him, which he wants to work with them, that are pretty much took care about everything from diet, to cardio, to physical state and so on.

And also whether the squad will win something or not, depends also on the next manager, the board, the signing and so much more. But obviously he is doing incredible job, and his team is always in great shape, unlike Mourinho for example. Klopp is also known for draining his players.

On top of that you are mentioning players he clearly didn't want, and wasn't happy with them. From the 4 players you mention, he didn't actually want any of them.

Batshuayi was punished because he was a scout/board signing that they were following for quite some time, and Conte wasn't happy with that, and he didn't play him at all. Even though the guy had some good moments in there.

Bakayoko was Chelsea target for some times as well, long before Conte sign with them. They also failed to land the target he wants, on top of that sold Matic, as he clearly stated he didn't want to. He even has a press where he say he is just a trainer there, and most of the signing are work of the board.

Also Chelsea did spend quite big next season, around 230m. euro, but Sarri failed to deliver.

You are also overstretching with the statement that he took a Champion Squad, quite wrong. They were 10th before he took them. And everyone was claiming this set of players are wasted, washed and done.

Conte has done incredible job with every single team he has been in charge. You can criticize him only over his CL run, but there is explanation for it as well.

P.P. You are now start to backtracking, saying you are not watching Serie A, when you were claiming that he didn't left a solid team in Inter ...

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
It's bad if you need a world-class squad to perform, like Guardiola, since that costs money.

It's also bad if you make a non-world-class squad perform, since then your club is stuck with a non-world-class squad.

Should we just rename the position of 'manager' to 'world-class bargain hunter'?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Conte could hardly leave us with a worse squad than we currently already have to be honest so that is not something I am remotely worried about.

Pintu

He’s a good manager but again, I’m not questioning that. He leaves behind squads that can play his way and no other. I wouldn’t call what he left at Chelsea excellent.
Well, it’s not reality. The team changed considerably in 2 years. The defence more than anything. I named Terry and Ivanovic earlier but I had actually forgot about Filipe Luis. It’s not the same team.

I think it is better than what he got in 2016.

I don’t watch Serie A enough to really talk about Inter. I have seen plenty of the Ashley Young, Darmian, Lukaku and Sanchez and I wouldn’t say having them as part of your squad makes an excellent squad.
Apart from Lukaku(who’s been sold for a profit) they are all squad players (Young left also), and they do serve a purpose. Definitely an upgrade on what he found there.

I guess you don’t watch the PL either because the still happy and motivated Sanchez was a great player for Arsenal.

This is the eleven he left behind and I invite you to use Google and see what they had before.

Last edited:

acnumber9

Well, it’s not reality. The team changed considerably in 2 years. The defence more than anything. I named Terry and Ivanovic earlier but I had actually forgot about Filipe Luis. It’s not the same team.

Apart from Lukaku they are all squad players, and they do serve a purpose. Definitely an upgrade on what he found there.

I guess you don’t watch the PL either because the still happy and motivated Sanchez was a great player for Arsenal.

This is the eleven he left behind and I invite you to use Google and see what they had before.

It’s no surprise you forgot Felipe Luis because everybody else did. He started 9 games in 14/15.

Of their ten most used players in 16/17, 7 of them pre-dated Conte. Only Kante made the squad much better. The others were Luiz and Alonso. Neither excellent.

I guess you aren’t very bright. What has Sanchez’s form five years ago at Arsenal got to do with the Sanchez left behind at Inter?

I don’t need to use Google to know that isn’t the team he left behind because Lukaku and Hakimi don’t play for Inter anymore. Them having to be sold is why he threw his toys out of the pram.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus

Apart from Lukaku they are all squad players, and they do serve a purpose. Definitely an upgrade on what he found there.

You are too rational for these shores… sadly for them, our kind hosts do not know what it takes to win anymore, therefore a gigantic chip on their shoulder obliterates any logic.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus

He’s a good manager but again, I’m not questioning that. He leaves behind squads that can play his way and no other. I wouldn’t call what he left at Chelsea excellent. I don’t watch Serie A enough to really talk about Inter. I have seen plenty of the Ashley Young, Darmian, Lukaku and Sanchez and I wouldn’t say having them as part of your squad makes an excellent squad.
Or maybe they are/were good or very good players, only needing a well-conducted environment maybe.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It's a trendy stat to use, but is useless of used on terms of single solitary games, it's best used over the course of a season whereby you can take a good average.
Which is exactly what people use it for. There seems to be this narrative that people use XG to make excuses or rewrite the results when that couldn't be further from the truth.

Pintu

Of their ten most used players in 16/17, 7 of them pre-dated Conte. Only Kante made the squad much better. The others were Luiz and Alonso. Neither excellent.
We are not debating whether players predated Conte or not. And we've already established that he did not get the recruitments he wanted.

We are debating the following. You claimed that he won the league with the same team that won it in 2015.

The 10 most used field players in 2016/17 include these five. Kante, Pedro, Alonso, Moses, Luiz
That's half the field squad. These 5 players did not win the league for Chelsea in 14/15. So contrarily to what you claimed, it is most certainly a stretch to pretend that Conte won it with the same team that had won it previously.

I guess you aren’t very bright. What has Sanchez’s form five years ago at Arsenal got to do with the Sanchez left behind at Inter?
Sanchez has been a decent or good player througout his career with one exception. He was good for Udinese, for Barcelona, For Arsenal for the national team of Chile.

Whatever the reasons that made him so unhappy and so poor at Manchester, they are not enough to dismiss him as a talented player. Having Sanchez happy to train and happy to help from the bench is certainly a good thing for Inter. And his game against Lazio last week showed just that. It is certainly an upgrade from Keita Baldé who was Inter's most used offensive sub the season prior to Marotta/Conte.

I don’t need to use Google to know that isn’t the team he left behind because Lukaku and Hakimi don’t play for Inter anymore. Them having to be sold is why he threw his toys out of the pram.
Inter's decision to sell some players has nothing to do with our discussion. We discuss the team he assembeled and left behind. And even after them being sold, it is still a much much better team than what he inherited.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Tottenham improvement in form since Conte joined is very impressive. And all the more frustrating that United did not get him.
Especially as Tottenham may very well achieve the 4th place finish that is so important to us.
A massive missed opportunity.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
8 points behind 3rd with 4 games in hand.

Anyone here still believe Spurs won't be up there come the end of the season ?

I remember saying Conte will finish top 4 the first day he was announced manager. People laughed at me.
I said a title is possible next season if he’s backed.

Pep's Suit

He's a great coach but Levy has to finally support him. Will be ridiculous if they don't sign him at least 2-3 good players in next two weeks.

acnumber9

Or maybe they are/were good or very good players, only needing a well-conducted environment maybe.
Young used to be an ok player, Lukaku is Lukaku, Darmian is a nothing player and Sanchez was finished before he arrived at United. Playing in a cosier league helps.

acnumber9

We are debating the following. You claimed that he won the league with the same team that won it in 2015.
No we aren’t and no we didn’t. I was debating him leaving an excellent squad. As part of that I said he took over a team that won the league a year previous. That’s the reality. I never said he added no players. The bulk of his team were champions a year before he arrived.

Courtois, Azpilicueta, Cahill, Matic, Hazard, Willian, Fabregas and Costa were all part of both squads. Amongst lesser squad players. He drove Costa out and he was replaced with Morata. Not sure that improved their squad. Same with Bakayoko replacing Matic. You can cry all day about who wanted those players. Doesn’t change the fact he didn’t leave an excellent squad. Bar Kante.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
More than half those players pre date him and of the ones he signed, I wouldn’t consider Alonso anywhere close to excellent. They haven’t challenged for a league title since so I do question how good the squad he left was.
They have a new GK, both starting WBs, a CB, a CM and all 3 attackers. That's 8 players signed after Conte left just in the starting XI. This is normal considering Conte left 4 years ago and the age of some of those players, but still, that they aren't challenging for the league now isn't down to the squad left behind by Conte. The only reference to it is the Sarri season, compounded by the transfer ban. They finished comfortably top 4 and won the EL. So clearly a very good squad

And as @andersj mentioned, Conte wanted Van Dijk. Rudiger was a backup option. Conte wanted VVD, Lukaku and Alex Sandro. I don't remember who he wanted at RWB. Chelsea failed to deliver any of his targets and instead gave him alternatives he wasn't happy about...

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
They have a new GK, both starting WBs, a CB, a CM and all 3 attackers. That's 8 players signed after Conte left just in the starting XI. This is normal considering Conte left 4 years ago and the age of some of those players, but still, that they aren't challenging for the league now isn't down to the squad left behind by Conte. The only reference to it is the Sarri season, compounded by the transfer ban. They finished comfortably top 4 and won the EL. So clearly a very good squad

And as @andersj mentioned, Conte wanted Van Dijk. Rudiger was a backup option. Conte wanted VVD, Lukaku and Alex Sandro. I don't remember who he wanted at RWB. Chelsea failed to deliver any of his targets and instead gave him alternatives he wasn't happy about...
i am 100% sure it is not the coach build the team in Chelsea. It is Marina Granovskaia's responsibility. The head coach only train the first team and prepare the match. From Amazon All or Nothing Levy and his man are doing that job, not the head coach either.

acnumber9

Yeah, but if he left an excellent squad, why did they need so many new players? He left a very similar squad to the one he inherited and worse in some areas.

Anybody can play fantasy football to build an excellent squad.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Which is exactly what people use it for. There seems to be this narrative that people use XG to make excuses or rewrite the results when that couldn't be further from the truth.
People are using it over a handful of games, or in some instances a solitary game.
This makes the stat misleading and generally quite meaningless.
It works best when used over the course of a season, which isn't what people are doing.

Bearded One

He has surely tipped the scales for Spurs this season, wish they kept their former manager for a bit longer. :D:D

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You are too rational for these shores… sadly for them, our kind hosts do not know what it takes to win anymore, therefore a gigantic chip on their shoulder obliterates any logic.
It’s a great thing we have sanctimonious posters like you to be our beacon in these trying times.

Bearded One

One word for Conte is determination
One word for Klopp is motivation
one word for Pep is instruction :drool::drool::)

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
It’s a great thing we have sanctimonious posters like you to be our beacon in these trying times.
I am a cheapskate Italian supporting corrupted Juve, not a solid German supporting tank Bayern. :lol:

Pintu

I am a cheapskate Italian supporting corrupted Juve, not a solid German supporting tank Bayern. :lol:
Surely not as corrupt as some clubs over there selling their souls to brutal regimes.

Or did Juve take money form the Chinese regime and then started defending the concentration camps ?

Joel Miller

It’s staggering that he’s been allowed to roll up at Spurs when United needed a saviour. That being said he’s not really the type of manager to bow to crap owners and boardrooms is he.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It’s staggering that he’s been allowed to roll up at Spurs when United needed a saviour. That being said he’s not really the type of manager to bow to crap owners and boardrooms is he.
He will never be accused of being a yes man.

Tap

Surely not as corrupt as some clubs over there selling their souls to brutal regimes.

Or did Juve take money form the Chinese regime and then started defending the concentration camps ?
How is this Ozil nonsense relevant

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Did he though? Look at his 4 biggest signings for Chelsea. All dreadful and a couple they still can’t get off their books. Is the Inter squad he left behind really excellent?
He won a cup, he won a league. He was brilliant. He had a 3 year deal.

Chelsea managers don’t build squads. I’m repeating it everywhere at the moment, but in all but 3 seasons under Abramovich, Chelsea have either won the league, or fired their manager. Conte delivered there.

acnumber9

He won a cup, he won a league. He was brilliant. He had a 3 year deal.

Chelsea managers don’t build squads. I’m repeating it everywhere at the moment, but in all but 3 seasons under Abramovich, Chelsea have either won the league, or fired their manager. Conte delivered there.
Never argued otherwise.

OleksUsykUD

He is already being unhappy with Tottenham. :D

Conte: "I've made evaluations about the squad. I have spoken with the club and I hope the club will listen to me," he said.

It's January 22, and they are being linked with Adama "zero end product" Traore. Did any of you think Conte will be happy with 4th tier players Tottenham are going to bring him ?

While this will be plain stupid, we should go all IN for him in the summer.