g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Conte | Spurs Manager

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Tuchel has a good record in the CL but it's not very normal. He has 1 final in a freak covid season with one-off ties at neutral grounds, and another final and win with a team he took over halfway through the season. It's not really the same as Conte having a quite long history in league competition, winning multiple titles in various leagues.

I would be much more surprised if Conte never wins a league title again than if Tuchel never reaches another CL final.
Tuchel has been successful everywhere he’s been though, it’s disingenuous to reduce his record as a manager to a CL win. Conte has done really well in Italy, and won a Premier League and an FA cup whilst taking Chelsea from 1st to 5th, I think he’s a very good manager but I don’t see him as being as good as the top 3 in the league.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Tuchel has been successful everywhere he’s been though, it’s disingenuous to reduce his record as a manager to a CL win. Conte has done really well in Italy, and won a Premier League and an FA cup whilst taking Chelsea from 1st to 5th, I think he’s a very good manager but I don’t see him as being as good as the top 3 in the league.
If you do not want to see the intangibles he adds to a club, a team and any player working under him, then yes… any fool getting lucky with variance (not Tuchel in particular, here, who is a fantastic coach we still need to know better for his very personal style) in the most lotto-style competition in football is better than him.

Wilt

He was poached after we could get him!
Have to admit, very smart move by Levy ….sacking Nuno and pushing through Conte signing at lightning speed, while Utd were still scratching their arse wondering what to do.

Dec9003

If you do not want to see the intangibles he adds to a club, a team and any player working under him, then yes… any fool getting lucky with variance (not Tuchel in particular, here, who is a fantastic coach we still need to know better for his very personal style) in the most lotto-style competition in football is better than him.
I’ve literally just said he’s a very good manager, but the three I’m saying are better than him have achieved far more than just getting lucky in a CL run, people on this forum can’t help but jump to the extreme at times. Klopp, Pep and Tuchel, are for me, better managers than Conte.

Water Melon

Spurs are likely to improve their performances under Conte and having signed a player or two in Janury. One more rival for out 4th position. Ole will have one more strong opponent to care about.

Dec9003

PizzaPlanet

Have to admit, very smart move by Levy ….sacking Nuno and pushing through Conte signing at lightning speed, while Utd were still scratching their arse wondering what to do.
I wouldn't be surprised if Conte had already agreed to come when Nuno got the sack - the loss to us was just the pretext.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I'm looking forward to Everton beating Tottenham in the next Premier League outing.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Bringing on someone like Conte would be lighting a fire under their own backsides. Why would they want to do that? Ole is the perfect candidate who always tows the company line. This is the highest level he is ever going to manage at so he doesn't want to rattle the cage. Conte on the other hand will demand higher standards, more decisiveness in the market, and much more.
This is exactly why I was surprised Spurs went for him. He will be like a bomb going off in the backroom if players are not towing the line and will want them gone. He will make demands of the board and rattle the cage, he is everything I thought a club like Spurs, and more particularly Levy, would not want. Thought Spurs got exactly what they wanted with Nuno, a yes man that wouldn't ruffle feathers, not make demands and not really question player power too much.

Mindhunter

This is exactly why I was surprised Spurs went for him. He will be like a bomb going off in the backroom if players are not towing the line and will want them gone. He will make demands of the board and rattle the cage, he is everything I thought a club like Spurs, and more particularly Levy, would not want. Thought Spurs got exactly what they wanted with Nuno, a yes man that wouldn't ruffle feathers, not make demands and not really question player power too much.
Spurs always wanted Conte. Not because of his standards but for his profile. Levy has this notion that if top managers join Spurs then by default they become a top club. That was the thinking behind hiring Mourinho when everyone though that he was finished in England.

They chased him in the summer and Conte resisted. He didn't want to compromise so early in the window where there could be other opportunities. Halfway through the season though, the situation is very different. Conte wants to manage, wants to be in the dugout, wants to "smell the grass" as he himself has said. Also he has a relationship with Paratici from his Juventus days. They must have made him some promises and he must have met them half-way realizing fully well that a vacancy at one of top clubs isn't imminent. It is a marriage of convenience.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Terrific appointment on the proviso Daniel Levy makes funds available for Conte to strengthen a team that needs strengthening.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
In a video on Spurs' YouTube channel, Conte said he wants ''attractive football with lots of passion''.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Its a bit of a myth that his football is ugly, its defensive but his teams score goals, and he certainly has passion.
I think it is more of a myth that it is defensive, rather than ugly.

His ethos is all about intensity, compactness and directness.
And that's not necessarily defensive - if he's given the right personnel for that, he likes to keep a high line and commit lots of men forward.

On the other hand, when his ideal striker is Lukaku and he's taken a full year to figure out what to do of Eriksen, it's clear that for him flair and virtuosity take the backseat to brutish physicality.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Spurs always wanted Conte. Not because of his standards but for his profile. Levy has this notion that if top managers join Spurs then by default they become a top club. That was the thinking behind hiring Mourinho when everyone though that he was finished in England.

They chased him in the summer and Conte resisted. He didn't want to compromise so early in the window where there could be other opportunities. Halfway through the season though, the situation is very different. Conte wants to manage, wants to be in the dugout, wants to "smell the grass" as he himself has said. Also he has a relationship with Paratici from his Juventus days. They must have made him some promises and he must have met them half-way realizing fully well that a vacancy at one of top clubs isn't imminent. It is a marriage of convenience.
This summarizes the situation well. I would also add that Levy likely has several other reasons to be very short term in his thinking right now, almost to the point of desperation. First, the club went into a lot of debt for the stadium (even if financed at reasonable long term rates) while also signing a variety of new commercial deals that likely have adjusted payments based on whether or not the club is in the CL. Its not an ownership group interested in taking losses and an extended run of years outside the CL probably doesn't work for their financial model. Second, Levy himself has a ton of personal stake in players like N'Dombele, Lo Celso, Sanchez somehow working out. To embark on a big squad rebuild would basically be to acknowledge that he screwed up the management of the squad over the last 3-4 years. Finally, another iteration of the Super League remains a possibility down the line and Levy has to know that Spurs' place in that group was very tenuous. Having another Super League formed successfully but Spurs left out of the core group would be a disastrous outcome for them both in sporting and financial terms.

Udmaster

I am still disappointed that we didn't get conte.
A shrewd tactician with a winning mentality like SAF coupled with being a disciplinarian.
Nevertheless, Ole has to go,
Am not a big fan of Zidane as manager.
Ernesto Valverde will do a great job at old trafford.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
What will be stronger?

Conte's winning mentality vs. Tottenham's bottling mentality...

Find out LIVE on Sky Sports.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.

I'm so fecking glad we dodged this bullet Holt shit.

That video might be the cringiest thing in 2021 so far.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It sounds like they had to work rather hard to manufacture that headline.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Paratici isn't going to come out and say the squad is badly flawed and needs reinforcement. He'll keep his cards closer to the vest.

The names being bandied about as likely Spurs signing are all ridiculous though, especially as January transfers.

Infra-red

Difficult to believe this ….I’d have thought the January transfer window would have already been discussed prior to Conte signing.

Tabloid bollocks..
I would assume that the transfer plans are largely on hold till the summer, when it seems that the plan might be to sell Kane and spend the proceeds on Vlahovic and some new midfielders/defenders.

All they will be thinking about between now and then is finishing 4th in the Premier League.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
This is going round like an epidemic by rival fans, who can't even be bothered to authenticate what it means.

That "quote" isn't a quote, but a paraphrased summation, as typical of the Telegraph. The actual quote, from 2017, was:

“I think the difference between Chelsea and Tottenham is this: if you stay in Chelsea and win it's normal. If you stay in Tottenham, if you win it's great, great, but if you lose… it's not a disaster, no? Not a disaster,”

"Because you find a lot of situations to explain a good season. But, I repeat, in this season, us and Tottenham stay in the same level. Chelsea were underdogs at the start of the season, but now we are top and we want to keep this position.”
The context behind it was the table looked like this at the time:

PositionTeamPWDLGFGAGDPts
1Chelsea3124346525+4075
2Tottenham3120836422+4268
3Liverpool3218956840+2863
4Manchester City3118766035+2561
5Manchester United30151234624+2257

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
This is going round like an epidemic by rival fans, who can't even be bothered to authenticate what it means.

That "quote" isn't a quote, but a paraphrased summation, as typical of the Telegraph. The actual quote, from 2017, was:

The context behind it was the table looked like this at the time:

PositionTeamPWDLGFGAGDPts
1Chelsea3124346525+4075
2Tottenham3120836422+4268
3Liverpool3218956840+2863
4Manchester City3118766035+2561
5Manchester United30151234624+2257
That makes that a lot less hyperbole. Thanks for the explanation.

Wilt

I would assume that the transfer plans are largely on hold till the summer, when it seems that the plan might be to sell Kane and spend the proceeds on Vlahovic and some new midfielders/defenders.

All they will be thinking about between now and then is finishing 4th in the Premier League.
They’ll want him to get Spurs into Europe, ideally top 4 ….they’ll back him In January if necessary.

TheRoyble

Supports
Spurs
What will be stronger?

Conte's winning mentality vs. Tottenham's bottling mentality...

Find out LIVE on Sky Sports.
I've also wondered about this. And in most SciFi movies opposites - or different versions of the same person - meeting each other lead to the End of the World. That would be typical Spurs.