Conte | Spurs Manager

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
In his last 3 managerial jobs, the only time the team went back to square 1 after him was Chelsea and that's because they hired Sarri instead of going for someone who'd give his work continuity

Look at juventus after Conte. Look at Inter now
It's not a straight forward thing as we think. Inter is struggling financially and ofcourse old players with large contracts, who is still there.

Chelsea had lot of players who he got during his period. Some of them are still there.

He needs a big squad and age doesn't matter. We don't work like that. I can understand why board didn't go for Conte although I don't agree (I am kind of a fan who needs an instant success) .

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Ironically it was our best performance under Conte yet it looked like we were going to lose.

Sviken

You have a top 3 manager in the world and you let him go to Spurs. This club... to this day it continues to surprise me how abysmally it is run.

Pintu

Not surprised by the result. Leicester is a naive team, they always allow opposition too much space. This was a perfect match up for Conte.

I just saw the winner. Tielemans and Vestegaard combined errors gave it away quite poorly.

But the statistics I am seeing now seems to suggest the win was really deserved.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Not surprised by the result. Leicester is a naive team, they always allow opposition too much space. This was a perfect match up for Conte.

I just saw the winner. Tielemans and Vestegaard combined errors gave it away quite poorly.

But the statistics I am seeing now seems to suggest the win was really deserved.
Literally should have been 3 at half time.

frostbite

It was a blunder not hiring him.

And we were told that the main reason was our owners and SAF wanted to wait for Ole to turn it around!...

Wilt

You have a top 3 manager in the world and you let him go to Spurs. This club... to this day it continues to surprise me how abysmally it is run.
Worst of all being ….Utd beating Spurs 3-0 triggered Levy to go after Conte.

LARulz

This is like letting Mourinho slip after Fergie. It was so obvious we needed a proven manager to come sort this shit out who was at the top of his game. Our own arrogance as a club (thinking it's not "United like") to hire someone like him is a stupid mistake. He is an elite manager and would have sorted this squad out one way or another

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
The actual feck, they needed two extra time goals to beat Leicester and some of you are acting like he's the 2nd coming.

Ole or Ralf did the same you'd be talking about how lucky we are!

Pintu

The actual feck, they needed two extra time goals to beat Leicester and some of you are acting like he's the 2nd coming.

Spurs may be lucky, but it seems they forced that luck tonight.

Last edited:

the_cliff

8 points behind 3rd with 4 games in hand.

Anyone here still believe Spurs won't be up there come the end of the season ?

I remember saying Conte will finish top 4 the first day he was announced manager. People laughed at me.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Just think when he gets Harry Kane rolling and Son is back. If he gets a midfielder and defender in this window, Spurs will be back in the CL.

Pintu

8 points behind 3rd with 4 games in hand.

Anyone here still believe Spurs won't be up there come the end of the season ?
They will probably surpass West Ham by the end, but they certainly don’t have the squad to finish above United or Chelsea. And even Arsenal has seemed stable so far. So the most logical position should be sixth.

the_cliff

They will probably surpass West Ham by the end, but they certainly don’t have the squad to finish above United or Chelsea. And even Arsenal has seemed stable so far. So the most logical position should be sixth.
They are 1 point behind with 3 games in hand...

Gfooty

You must be looking at a different table. Spurs are, and will finish above United

bond19821982

Last game Spurs lost in the league....

Nuno's last game.
Lot of last minute wins though. Please don't tell me it shows a winning mentality because it doesn't ,atleast in Spurs case. Their luck will run out.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I watched them against Chelsea in the Carabao, at home and they were awful.

Sunday will be interesting for sure.

the_cliff

Lot of last minute wins though. Please don't tell me it shows a winning mentality because it doesn't ,atleast in Spurs case. Their luck will run out.
Agree 100%

But what people don't seem to realise, is that every other team competing for top 4 aren't exactly lighting up the league. All Spurs and Conte have to do is be less shit than West Ham, Arsenal and United.

Beat the teams that they are expected to beat they will finish top 4 and with Conte that is as close to a sure thing as you can get.

bond19821982

Agree 100%

But what people don't seem to realise, is that every other team competing for top 4 aren't exactly lighting up the league. All Spurs and Conte have to do is be less shit than West Ham, Arsenal and United.

Beat the teams that they are expected to beat they will finish top 4 and with Conte that is as close to a sure thing as you can get.
Or we have already found our bottom level and the only way is up. Arsenal are in good form while West Ham will slow down. Think it will be tight , but if we can get a midfielder in we will get that spot.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
What happened to the ‘Spurs bottlers’ theory
Still plenty of time for them to bottle it and they will. They finished third in a two horse race, they will obviously pick up wins before bottling it like they always do.

lawliet354

We were beaten comfortably by Leicester while Spurs records the highest xG of any team tonight in Premier League this season. Plenty of things to criticize Conte but tonight is not one of them, maybe watch the game first before you post something. Vestegaard playing helps them a lot though

the_cliff

Or we have already found our bottom level and the only way is up. Arsenal are in good form while West Ham will slow down. Think it will be tight , but if we can get a midfielder in we will get that spot.
Not sure who 'we' is. But if you're a United fan like me, we may have won 3-1 but the performance was terrible. If it wasn't for terrible finishing from Brentford we would've quite easily lost that game. Play like that against West Ham and we're dropping points. Sorry to be a buzzkill but there hasn't been one performance this season that fills me with confidence that we can get top 4. We've been at our 'bottom' for nearly three months and people always say the only way is up. Well, if these inconsistent performances continue for another 5 games we're out of the top 4 race.

Compare our performance against Brentford to Tottenham's performance against Leicester for example in 'a last minute win' it's night and day. Even though result wise you'd think we were the ones who significantly outplayed our opponents. It's the difference between people that actually watch football or people who just skim through it.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
We were beaten comfortably by Leicester while Spurs records the highest xG of any team tonight in Premier League this season. Plenty of things to criticize Conte but tonight is not one of them, maybe watch the game first before you post something. Vestegaard playing helps them a lot though
I did watch the game, I'm speaking in facts (they did need two extra time goals to win), are youre talking in xG. The discussion is done.

the_cliff

I did watch the game, I'm speaking in facts (they did need two extra time goals to win), are youre talking in xG. The discussion is done.
Here's another fact. Spurs are unbeaten in the league with Conte.
Here's another one, they're one point ahead of us with 2 games in hand.
Here's another one, they were 6 points behind us when Conte joined. With the same number of games played.

BarcaSpurs

I don't know if i'd use 'luck' to describe our form, we're actually slightly below our expected points since Conte took over because our finishing hasn't been great. We've also still had the higher XG in every league match we've played since he took over. We led only 4/10 matches under Nuno by comparison.

lawliet354

Here's another fact. Spurs are unbeaten in the league with Conte.
Here's another one, they're one point ahead of us with 2 games in hand.
Here's another one, they were 6 points behind us when Conte joined. With the same number of games played.
You're talking facts!! That's not allowed, all I know is Spurs will bottle it, they for sure will, because they are Spurs!!!

But seriously, his league records speak for himself, not sure why he performs so atrociously in Europe though

bond19821982

I don't know if i'd use 'luck' to describe our form, we're actually slightly below our expected points since Conte took over because our finishing hasn't been great. We've also still had the higher XG in every league match we've played since he took over. We led only 4/10 matches under Nuno by comparison.

XG doesn't tell anything . It's such a pointless stat. Let's be honest, referee had no right to play on after your equalizer. You can say that you should have won at half time but you didn't. The point is , you needed a referee blunder to win it. If that's not luck, I don't know what else is.

Again, Conte is a great coach but I just don't see it happening with this Spurs team. That's all !

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
XG doesn't tell anything . It's such a pointless stat. Let's be honest, referee had no right to play on after your equalizer. You can say that you should have won at half time but you didn't. The point is , you needed a referee blunder to win it. If that's not luck, I don't know what else is.

Again, Conte is a great coach but I just don't see it happening with this Spurs team. That's all !
XG has repeatedly been shown to provide a better correlation to long term performance than actual points or actual goals. Those vary more than xG. XG says if you created more chances than the opponent, which is ultimately the point of team play. The execution falls on the individual, but as a team, pretty much all of the time, the better the team, the better the xG.

bond19821982

Not sure who 'we' is. But if you're a United fan like me, we may have won 3-1 but the performance was terrible. If it wasn't for terrible finishing from Brentford we would've quite easily lost that game. Play like that against West Ham and we're dropping points. Sorry to be a buzzkill but there hasn't been one performance this season that fills me with confidence that we can get top 4. We've been at our 'bottom' for nearly three months and people always say the only way is up. Well, if these inconsistent performances continue for another 5 games we're out of the top 4 race.

Compare our performance against Brentford to Tottenham's performance against Leicester for example in 'a last minute win' it's night and day. Even though result wise you'd think we were the ones who significantly outplayed our opponents. It's the difference between people that actually watch football or people who just skim through it.
Classic case of half full half empty. You are only focusing on negatives while I am focusing on positives. It was a game of 2 halves. We didn't give them a sniff in second half.

Also we haven't been down for 3 months. Performance wise , we have been actually getting much better , ever since Ole was sacked. So if you sorely want to focus on negatives, feel free. But I can see a definite improvement over the games.

bond19821982

XG has repeatedly been shown to provide a better correlation to long term performance than actual points or actual goals. Those vary more than xG. XG says if you created more chances than the opponent, which is ultimately the point of team play. The execution falls on the individual, but as a team, pretty much all of the time, the better the team, the better the xG.
I have never felt that way. We had a 1.98 xG today. Mason and Rashford goals were clear cut chances. Bruno chance was also one on one with GK. Elanga was unchallenged at the post with only GK to beat. That's 4, minimum and we have 1.98 ?

Laughable stat !

the_cliff

Classic case of half full half empty. You are only focusing on negatives while I am focusing on positives. It was a game of 2 halves. We didn't give them a sniff in second half.

Also we haven't been down for 3 months. Performance wise , we have been actually getting much better , ever since Ole was sacked. So if you sorely want to focus on negatives, feel free. But I can see a definite improvement over the games.
Our second half performance was good. But we are still yet to dominate a game for 90 mins. There have been plenty of performances even under Ole where we have started off slow and bounced back in the second half where we didn't give opponents a sniff.

If you think 45 mins in the second half against Brentford where at least 20 minutes of the second half were played with a back 5 is cause for optimism and makes us front runners for top 4 then you aren't half full you're delusional.

The only way I see us finishing top 4 is if Pogba comes back and puts in a run of world class games.

Last edited:

bond19821982

Our second half performance was good. But we are still yet to dominate a game for 90 mins. There have been plenty of performances even under Ole where we have started of slow and bounced back in the second half where we didn't give opponents a sniff.

If you think 45 mins in the second half against Brentford where at least 20 minutes of the second half were played with a back 5 is cause for optimism and makes us front runners for top 4 then you aren't half full you're delusional.
Yes, I would rather be delusional fan than a negative one who only sees downside in every game. Sorry mate, but you should be awful in parties.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I have never felt that way. We had a 1.98 xG today. Mason and Rashford goals were clear cut chances. Bruno chance was also one on one with GK. Elanga was unchallenged at the post with only GK to beat. That's 4, minimum and we have 1.98 ?

Laughable stat !
No chance is a 100% goal though. You clearly don't understand how xG works. Mason had a great chance and Rashford/Bruno had merely good chances. They are missed quite often, as Bruno showed, and as Jensen for Brentford found out today. Bruno shot from outside of the box already reducing his chance of scoring. A penalty for example carries an xG of ~0.75 because it's scored 75% of the time. It's literally an accumulation of hundreds of thousands of like example to give the probability of scoring based on historical data.

You can't look at a clear cut chance and think it should be a goal every time when statistically they are only scored 40% of the time for example. Hence why a particular chance like that would carry an xG of 0.4.