Controversial penalty awards......that were completely correct.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just finished reading an interview with Michael Oliver online. I know he isn't the most popular ref on here but had completely forgotten about that last minute penalty he gave for Real Madrid v Juve.

Just had a watch again and yeah it's soft....but it's a push in back to Lucas Vazquez who's unmarked 6 yards from goal so nothing that's never been seen in Serie A before.

I remember when they showed euro 2000 again during lockdown and there was loads of whining about this penalty given, one of the most obvious handballs you'll see!

Two for starters.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Tore Andre Flo for Norway against Brazil in 1998. Looked like a dive until a new camera angle appeared a couple of days after the game showing Aldair (?) was all over him.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Tore Andre Flo for Norway against Brazil in 1998. Looked like a dive until a new camera angle appeared a couple of days after the game showing Aldair (?) was all over him.
I remember that, was a big shirt pull as the cross came in. Holland had a very similar one last minute of the SF but wasn't spotted.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I lost a lot of respect for Buffon after that Madrid - Juve incident. Blatant penalty and he was a complete arse.

Robertd0803

Carrick against Spurs for the 5-2 at Old Trafford game. Blatant yet the amount of talk at the time that it wasnt a penalty was laughable.

Rooney vs Arsenal in 04/05. There was contact albeit super minimal.

And pretty much all of ours besides Villa and Norwich away last season. And some might be soft as feck (still a penalty) but every single one seems to be replayed in excess of 30 times on VAR so it cant be argued.

Nick7

The music and commentary in that is hilarious :lol:

Ludens the Red

Carrick against Spurs for the 5-2 at Old Trafford game. Blatant yet the amount of talk at the time that it wasnt a penalty was laughable.

And pretty much all of ours besides Villa and Norwich away last season. And some might be soft as feck (still a penalty) but every single one seems to be replayed in excess of 30 times on VAR so it cant be argued.
First thing that came to my mind. At the time they were still obsessed with ‘contact on ball means no pen regardless’ so I could slightly understand it being debatable . But the reaction was hilarious, like it was the worse decision ever seen on a football pitch.
It was largely due to Liverpool being the title race with us at the time and the need to push the notion of ref bias for United.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph

If by time you mean decade. I wouldn't be surprised to hear about it now still

Denis' cuff

Rooney against Arsenal. Campbell made contact.
no way I would have given that, had I been the ref but feck em. The stuff they got away with that season was unbelievable, especially the Pires pen at Portsmouth. Looking at that through the light of the one we were denied vs Portsmouth that would surely have given us another treble....

tv is there to create discussion but in Uniteds case, controversy. Even when there is none.

Tarrou

Berbatov vs the scousers, i think it was during the King Kenny era. Looked a dive from most angles and the scousers didn’t shut up about it for weeks. But on one reply it showed he was clearly tripped.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

I watched that on youtube a year or two ago, i guess it's just something us Norwegians do now and then, and noticed all the hate in the comments.
I know youtube comments are some of the worst, but people still believe it was wrong, and if i remember correctly, many were talking about conspiracy, paid ref, betting, etc :lol:

G-MUFC

I've always thought that our penalty awarded against PSG was the correct decision. In the minority I know.
Thing is that decision was the first major penalty given in relation to the new handball rules. So at the time people were not familiar with the rules. Now they are familiar people look back at that incident and are more comfortable that a penalty was given.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Berbatov vs the scousers, i think it was during the King Kenny era. Looked a dive from most angles and the scousers didn’t shut up about it for weeks. But on one reply it showed he was clearly tripped.
Chelsea one a few weeks later v Man. United was very similar but attracted plenty of noise IIRC.

RedDevil@84

I lost a lot of respect for Buffon after that Madrid - Juve incident. Blatant penalty and he was a complete arse.
I laughed out loud for the "He has no heart" comment. What an a** thing to say. What was the ref supposed to do.
Do a Clattenburg and turn the game with the agenda he had in mind.