Cop in America doing a bad job, again

bosskeano

It's Seattle....the cops aren't going to do anything just like in California. The democratic officials in charge have basically removed any and all authority for police to stop criminals.

RedDevilQuebecois

It's Seattle....the cops aren't going to do anything just like in California. The democratic officials in charge have basically removed any and all authority for police to stop criminals.
:lol:

You're having a laugh, mate. There are far more regulations for policing in some European countries, and yet cops are trained a lot longer and better to work within those frames. American cops are just too thick to adapt. Eating less donuts would maintain a better IQ perhaps.

nimic

something nice
Scout
:lol:

You're having a laugh, mate. There are far more regulations for policing in some European countries, and yet cops are trained a lot longer and better to work within those frames. American cops are just too thick to adapt. Eating less donuts would maintain a better IQ perhaps.
I bet there are more regulations in literally all European countries, and probably the training/education is longer in all of them too. I'm willing to be proven wrong on that.

RedDevilQuebecois

I bet there are more regulations in literally all European countries, and probably the training/education is longer in all of them too. I'm willing to be proven wrong on that.
Training is truly more extensive outside of North America. The US and Canada are really pale in comparison with many countries like the UK, Germany, Norway and Finland when it comes to the number and the quality of training hours.

How US police training compares with the rest of the world (BBC)

The article was published in the aftermath of the George Floyd incident.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
this is scandalous if true. Can you point me to the legislation that stripped away the power of SPD to confront the suspect and protect the children?

Tyrion

What was the excuse in Ulvade, Texas?

In general, I thought the Defund the Police slogan was dumb when I first heard it but every other week since then, US cops are doing tremendous work in convincing me that those activists are right.

bosskeano

In general, I thought the Defund the Police slogan was dumb when I first heard it but every other week since then, US cops are doing tremendous work in convincing me that those activists are right.
There's no excuse for any of it ....but how can you regulate for some fuked up individual that targets kids??? Cops can't control that narrative

bosskeano

this is scandalous if true. Can you point me to the legislation that stripped away the power of SPD to confront the suspect and protect the children?
cmon now....if you've watched any of the news with what is going on in san francisco and seattle you wouldn't need to ask that question

hell they just recalled the DA in San Francisco b/c teh crime has gotten so bad there without fear of prosecution

bosskeano

He went to a gun store when he turned 18 and legally bought an AR-15. That seems like a pretty good place to start.
100% agreed....that should NEVER be allowed. Again though that has to do with politics and law not the Cops.

nimic

something nice
Scout
cmon now....if you've watched any of the news with what is going on in san francisco and seattle you wouldn't need to ask that question

hell they just recalled the DA in San Francisco b/c teh crime has gotten so bad there without fear of prosecution
Doesn't South Carolina have a significantly higher crime rate than California? Is that because your state is so soft on crime? Just going off the location in your profile.

bosskeano

Doesn't South Carolina have a significantly higher crime rate than California? Is that because your state is so soft on crime? Just going off the location in your profile.
that's also a misleading figure simply b/c of reported crimes versus non reported crimes

RedDevilQuebecois

The heart of the problem is gross misuse of a massive budget into stuff that does not improve the quality of policing in the US at all (i.e. buying military-level hardware). If defunding forces PDs to use money far more responsibly and to invest where it matters to increase the quality of the average cop by several notches, then it's worth it. Neither the Brits, the Germans, the Norwegians nor the Finns have anything near American police budgets, but those countries know how to invest properly for whatever money they get.

bosskeano

I'm not from the US, could you explain this?
pretty straightforward in that they based their numbers and crime rate based on what crimes are reported to the police and base it on the per capita of that particular state

end of the day though....people in the US right now aren't as concerned about being prosecuted for committing crimes regardless of the state they live in

entropy

must read article for those who have been misled by media hysteria over rising crime rate when reality says otherwise
The panic over crime is remarkable for a simple reason: San Francisco is empirically one of the safest major cities in the country. According to FBI data, violent crime in San Francisco is at its lowest rate since 1985, the year the bureau started tracking violent crime numbers. The city’s murder rate is among the lowest in the country for major cities, even after rising during the pandemic as it did elsewhere. Motor vehicle thefts also rose during the pandemic, but then stabilized. Between 2019 to 2021, the rates of rape, robbery, assault, and crime overall in the city actually decreased.

There is similarly little data to support the notion that Boudin’s office systematically refuses to charge criminals. A recent review by Mission Local found that last year Boudin actually filed charges at a higher rate than any San Francisco district attorney since 2011. Though his sentencing philosophy differs from his predecessors, Boudin charges like a fairly typical DA — and does so despite the incompetence of the city’s police department, which solves fewer than 9 percent of reported offenses while simultaneously arresting black people at a higher rate than any other major California city.
https://jacobin.com/2022/05/sf-da-crime-recall-chesa-boudin-wealthy

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Not necessarily remove authority, but more cops are choosing not to enforce anything or confront criminals and instead choosing career survival. It’s just not worth it. Let the scumbags leave the scene and just take a report. Why confront them and possibly use force if they resist, and end up getting thrown under the bus because the DA/chief/mayor/joeblowcitizen thinks you’re in the wrong. Doesn’t help that in places like LA and SF even if you do arrest criminals they’re out the door with a citation before you’re even finished with the report, so they can carry on committing crimes.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves

bosskeano

Not necessarily remove authority, but more cops are choosing not to enforce anything or confront criminals and instead choosing career survival. It’s just not worth it. Let the scumbags leave the scene and just take a report. Why confront them and possibly use force if they resist, and end up getting thrown under the bus because the DA/chief/mayor/joeblowcitizen thinks you’re in the wrong. Doesn’t help that in places like LA and SF even if you do arrest criminals they’re out the door with a citation before you’re even finished with the report, so they can carry on committing crimes.
that's pretty damn spot on

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
So cops are choosing to defraud the people who pay them by actively refusing to do what they are paid to do and you're cool with that? If I did that at my job, for whatever reason, I would be fired. Must be nice to have such great job security you can just refuse to do what you are paid for. Sure, you guys/gals are frustrated by the perceived lack of support by the public, but your profession EARNED the publics distrust and fear. Rampart? Rodney King? That's just LAPD. Your job is hard, it is dangerous, and probably incredibly dispiriting, but tough shit. LE is paid to do a job and they should do it or find another.

RedDevilQuebecois

So cops are choosing to defraud the people who pay them by actively refusing to do what they are paid to do and you're cool with that? If I did that at my job, for whatever reason, I would be fired. Must be nice to have such great job security you can just refuse to do what you are paid for. Sure, you guys/gals are frustrated by the perceived lack of support by the public, but your profession EARNED the publics distrust and fear. Rampart? Rodney King? That's just LAPD. Your job is hard, it is dangerous, and probably incredibly dispiriting, but tough shit. LE is paid to do a job and they should do it or find another.
This. If cops don't like the totality of the terms of their jobs, they can feel free to leave. But then they should not have bothered enlisting in police training, which is (I insist and I will insist it until I die) utterly deficient in the US, in the first place.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
I never said I was cool with that, but it has become the attitude of many. I don't even understand it myself. But it isn't exactly "actively refusing to do their job". It's just a less proactive approach and still doing your job without having to put yourself in needlessly risky situations.

bosskeano

just like people are wanting to defund the police and put them in a position of exposure to harm? Stick cameras in their face trying to entice them into confrontation?

it works both ways....but only one side recognizes that

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
just like people are wanting to defund the police and put them in a position of exposure to harm? Stick cameras in their face trying to entice them into confrontation?

There hasn’t been any substantive defunding of police in my country at all. In fact, police budgets on average have gone up.

Wishing defunding v. actually not doing your job. I know what’s worse.

Why do you think cops are on camera so often?

Drainy

It will be interesting to see the reporting or studies into the rise of the police failing to get involved, if there is one.

I recall that there was a supreme court judgment back in 2005 that said they didn't have a duty to protect..

SirAF

Ageist
Training is truly more extensive outside of North America. The US and Canada are really pale in comparison with many countries like the UK, Germany, Norway and Finland when it comes to the number and the quality of training hours.

How US police training compares with the rest of the world (BBC)

The article was published in the aftermath of the George Floyd incident.
Yup, in Norway you literally have to complete a bachelor’s degree to become a cop.

NotThatSoph

I'm sorry, you have to help me out here.

You say it works both ways. One of the ways is to defraud the people, and the other way is to cut public funding to a public institution. What I'm asking is, what are you talking about?