Cop in America doing a bad job, again

bosskeano

I'm sorry, you have to help me out here.

You say it works both ways. One of the ways is to defraud the people, and the other way is to cut public funding to a public institution. What I'm asking is, what are you talking about?
defraud the people? police in certain parts of the country have their hands literally tied by the local DA's you see examples of it in San Francisco and Seattle on a daily basis. The people go into a store and loot without any fear of prosecution so what do you expect the cops to do when they can't stop them

jackal&hyde

There is so much BS about the US Police force that is taken as truth and so little credit given it's incredible.

We need a Cop In the USA is Doing his/her Job Thread.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
must read article for those who have been misled by media hysteria over rising crime rate when reality says otherwise

https://jacobin.com/2022/05/sf-da-crime-recall-chesa-boudin-wealthy
Progressives denying that people are feeling unsafe in these big metro cities is somewhat similar to right-wing using stats to show how police violence against Blacks gets overblown because of some other numbers around Black on Black violence. The notion that media campaign and propaganda has led to some portion of the populace to feel more unsafe in last few years seems flimsy. Just anecdotally, I knew many folks living in Bay area who have been voicing their quality of life being impacted by petty crime for last ~3 years now. I am not saying that is due to progressive policies by DA or any other officials, that part of the inference is a bit overblown in the media. But denying that it is a problem is an issue with some on the left.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
just like people are wanting to defund the police and put them in a position of exposure to harm? Stick cameras in their face trying to entice them into confrontation?

it works both ways....but only one side recognizes that
Even if we accept that departments are being defunded (they’re not) there is not even a close equivalence between having fewer resources and choosing to not do you job.
As for the camera thing? The use of cameras is a necessary these days. LE has proved itself to be unreliable and dishonest in its actions and subsequent reporting.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I never said I was cool with that, but it has become the attitude of many. I don't even understand it myself. But it isn't exactly "actively refusing to do their job". It's just a less proactive approach and still doing your job without having to put yourself in needlessly risky situations.
I was inferring from your “it’s not worth it” that you were commiserating. If not, then apologies.

Observing and ignoring crime (like the officer in Seattle that kicked off this discussion) us, in my mind, actively refusing to do the job.

jackal&hyde

Why? They're doing the job they're paid.
Yeah, and it's a fecking horrible job when any and all suspects can be just as if not better armed then you; and then we ask why they are on the edge?

The police force in the US with their insane gun laws are akin almost to war zones in terms of stress. You have a society that gives guns to any half wit and then complain that the police are on the edge and rather violent.

The police is not the fecking problem. The gun laws are.

SirAnderson

Yeah, and it's a fecking horrible job when any and all suspects can be just as if not better armed then you; and then we ask why they are on the edge?

The police force in the US with their insane gun laws are akin almost to war zones in terms of stress. You have a society that gives guns to any half wit and then complain that the police are on the edge and rather violent.

Why does it have to be either or? Clearly it's both. Or should we just ignore the George Floyd's of this world where cops kill at will regardless of whether there's a gun in the equation or not.

I'd make a list, but best to just read the last 216 pages, which probably doesn't even paint the full picture.

And again, doesn't have to be the only problem, but it certain is one of the bigger problems.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak

It's not as if they don't know the gun laws before they take the job. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Cops here in the UK are daily at risk, doesn't mean they get off scott free for their mistakes. They earn a decent crust because its a dangerous job.

Drainy

cops here in the UK are daily at risk, doesn't mean they get off scott free for their mistakes.
Not for the want of trying..

The US police have an incredibly well organised and powerful union, which along with qualified immunity has for a long time led to really low accountability.

In the UK the police and the support infrastructure protect their own too.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Which is why it is insane that Police Departments are not at the leading edge of gun reform.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Not for the want of trying..

The US police have an incredibly well organised and powerful union, which along with qualified immunity has for a long time led to really low accountability.

In the UK the police and the support infrastructure protect their own too.
The irony being that a lot of them are republicans who don't believe in unionisation

jackal&hyde

Which is why it is insane that Police Departments are not at the leading edge of gun reform.
If you live in the US you know why they are not. There is a party that makes them look like Hitler in person, and there is a party that protects any and all abuses. Both are insane, but one has a semblance of respect for the uniform.

The left makes the police look like the storm troopers of Vader and then complain why oh why do they vote right. I know a few police officers in the US by my martial arts training, they as me are fundamental left voters.

I feel like the US people would feel better if they knew how Police Forces operate in different countries. Like how the German police reacts to a high threat situation.

I make Japan jobs fairly often. Do you know the level of tolerance of the police there? It is 0. You make the wrong move you are a suspect. I like this :)

NotThatSoph

defraud the people? police in certain parts of the country have their hands literally tied by the local DA's you see examples of it in San Francisco and Seattle on a daily basis. The people go into a store and loot without any fear of prosecution so what do you expect the cops to do when they can't stop them
That's what you responded to. They sayd defraud the people, and you said it works both ways because some people want to defund the police. What on earth does that mean, that's what I want to know. If you think defraud the people is a wrong accusation, then obviously that should be your response.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Remember someone here saying that they used whips from horseback simply because it was the efficient and correct thing to do.